President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#18561  Postby Svartalf » Jan 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Animavore wrote:
Trump Accidentally Autographed His Own Impeachment Papers at Michigan Rally

Read More: President Trump Autographed Impeachment Papers at Michigan Rally 

https://wcrz.com/trump-accidentally-aut ... m=referral

For some reason when I read this the first thing that popped into my head was that scene from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

It's been an eternity that I did not watch that and I don't have the dvd for an instant refresher... just which scene are you thinking of?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18562  Postby Animavore » Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18563  Postby The_Piper » Jan 18, 2020 2:07 am

Svartalf wrote:
It's been an eternity that I did not watch that and I don't have the dvd for an instant refresher... just which scene are you thinking of?
Me too, I've never seen it, so don't get the reference here.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18564  Postby felltoearth » Jan 18, 2020 1:56 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18565  Postby felltoearth » Jan 18, 2020 3:34 pm

It’s everything you already know about Trump, but he’s so dense he doesn’t even have the capacity to know why he even might be wrong. Jawdropping.

'A Very Stable Genius' book excerpt: Inside Trump's stunning tirade against generals - The Washington Post
More broadly, Mattis argued, the NATO alliance was not serving only to protect western Europe. It protected America, too. “This is what keeps us safe,” Mattis said. Cohn tried to explain to Trump that he needed to see the value of the trade deals. “These are commitments that help keep us safe,” Cohn said.
Bannon interjected. “Stop, stop, stop,” he said. “All you guys talk about all these great things, they’re all our partners, I want you to name me now one country and one company that’s going to have his back.”
Trump then repeated a threat he’d made countless times before. He wanted out of the Iran nuclear deal that President Obama had struck in 2015, which called for Iran to reduce its uranium stockpile and cut its nuclear program.
“It’s the worst deal in history!” Trump declared.
“Well, actually . . .,” Tillerson interjected.
“I don’t want to hear it,” Trump said, cutting off the secretary of state before he could explain some of the benefits of the agreement. “They’re cheating. They’re building. We’re getting out of it. I keep telling you, I keep giving you time, and you keep delaying me. I want out of it.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18566  Postby Seabass » Jan 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Republicans are burning democracy to the ground, and the media are fixated on the handshake snub.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-sanders-warren-feud-and-ukraine-revelations-are-nowhere-near-equal-in-importance-try-telling-the-media-that/2020/01/17/a04848e4-393d-11ea-bf30-ad313e4ec754_story.html

The Sanders-Warren ‘feud’ and Ukraine revelations are nowhere near equal in importance. Try telling the media that.

If you asked a casual news consumer what the big Washington story was over the past few days, there’s a decent chance you would hear about a supposed feud between two Democratic presidential candidates — Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

That, after all, was a media obsession for days: an easy-to-understand, easy-to-argue-about story with compelling audio and video.

Made for TV. Made for punditry. Let’s all plumb the greater meaning of whether the Vermont senator really once told the Massachusetts senator that he didn’t think a woman could be elected president.

And while this is grounded in an important issue (ingrained sexism in American culture and politics), there were matters of greater significance going on.

There was compelling new evidence that President Trump knew everything about the effort to pressure Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election, and to push an American diplomat out of the way.

This was revealed in documents and text messages and in blockbuster interviews, first with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow and later with CNN’s Anderson Cooper. It was stunning stuff, particularly in the context of Trump’s impeachment and a Senate trial in which most Republican senators, according to their leadership, already have their minds made up.

“This is . . . like if Watergate burglars gave [an] interview to Walter Cronkite in Jan 1974 and detailed the Nixon criminal enterprise,” tweeted the journalist and author Eric Boehlert about Maddow’s interview with Lev Parnas, the Soviet-born businessman who played a key role in the pressure campaign.

It was a much, much bigger deal than the Warren-Sanders dust-up.

But these developments were presented as roughly equal, or at least in the same general category of emphasis, on TV newscasts and news-talk shows, as if to say, “Here’s a couple of Washington stories about politicians fighting with each other . . . .”

[...]

The news media is all too predictable, doing things the same old way from campaign to campaign, from scandal to scandal.

But we exist now in a different context: With democratic norms on the brink, the public desperately needs us to do much, much better.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#18567  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 18, 2020 5:38 pm

It's also new: it's right there in the name 'news'! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#18568  Postby The_Piper » Jan 18, 2020 6:55 pm

felltoearth wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Actually I did see it, I forgot which movie was which. All I can remember is something about James Bond and Han Solo on top of a moving train, arguing. The rest is completely missing from, or inaccessible to my memory. :lol: I thought it was the newer one(s), none of which I've seen.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18569  Postby aban57 » Jan 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Who was saying extreme polarization wasn't a problem again ?

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18570  Postby Tero » Jan 19, 2020 3:35 pm

I do not get this argument. When would an impeachment ever be invalid?
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-lawyers-respond-impeachment-articles.amp
If you get the house to vote on it, no matter how badly they understand high crimes and misdemeanors, it is always legal to vote on it. That is their job. It is then the job of the senate to vote on whether the blow job related obstruction or quid pro quo qualifies. And it is not the job of defense lawyers to interpret the constitution. This is not that court.

They will bring this up at every press conference so as to appear as "fighting" to Trump and his base.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18571  Postby Tero » Jan 19, 2020 6:07 pm

It is a long read but the GOP tie to Firtash is clear. Does not implicate Trump but does tie in with Putin and Russia:

...oligarch’s background demands their consideration.

Dmytro Firtash’s work in Ukraine undermined that nation’s democracy. He spent hundreds of millions of dollars entrenching the forces of kleptocracy. His machinations kept the country locked in Russia’s orbit. That he may have been involved in spreading disinformation about Biden for the sake of avoiding extradition is the most important allegation from Lev Parnas’s trail of cable-news interviews. It suggests that he may have attempted to reprise his past work on

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/605188/
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18572  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Tero wrote:I do not get this argument. When would an impeachment ever be invalid?
If you get the house to vote on it, no matter how badly they understand high crimes and misdemeanors, it is always legal to vote on it. That is their job. It is then the job of the senate to vote on whether the blow job related obstruction or quid pro quo qualifies. And it is not the job of defense lawyers to interpret the constitution. This is not that court.

They will bring this up at every press conference so as to appear as "fighting" to Trump and his base.

What struck me was that using this argument, if the Senate does vote to exonerate Trump, then they would be creating a precedent for every future president to abuse the office to the fullest extent without hinderance.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18573  Postby Alan C » Jan 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:
Tero wrote:I do not get this argument. When would an impeachment ever be invalid?

What struck me was that using this argument, if the Senate does vote to exonerate Trump, then they would be creating a precedent for every future president to abuse the office to the fullest extent without hinderance.

In this case I'd say they're [Repugnants] not thinking long-term, just like with regards to issues like climate.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#18574  Postby The_Piper » Jan 20, 2020 2:34 am

Most of them are within 20 years of the grave, and they don't care what happens beyond that, mostly because most of them have sociopathic tendencies like being frauds and liars for money.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18575  Postby felltoearth » Jan 20, 2020 4:40 am

Alan C wrote:
Tortured_Genius wrote:

In this case I'd say they're [Repugnants] not thinking long-term, just like with regards to issues like climate.

I would say they are thinking long term, however only about their own interests rather than the nation and the constitution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

President Trump Watch.

#18576  Postby felltoearth » Jan 20, 2020 4:40 am

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18577  Postby Tero » Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm

The newer Fox article contains much of the same gibberish, that abuse of power (no matter what) is not impeachable. But it does quote Democrats too.
"The Senate itself is on trial, as far as I'm concerned, and the jury is the American people," Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin said on "Meet the Press," revealing the Democratic tactic of making life as uncomfortable as possible for Republican senators as the trial gets underway.
"A fair trial, everyone understands, involves evidence. Evidence would be documents and witnesses," Durbin said. "At this point, you know, the Senate is on trial. And I hope at the end of the day enough Republican senators will understand history will find you. Make certain that you make a decision that you can live with in terms of our Constitution and your own professional career."
In their own detailed filing issued over the weekend, Democrats made the case that the Senate's expected failure to convict Trump of impeachable crimes would change the presidency forever.
"His misconduct challenges the fundamental principle that Americans should decide American elections, and that a divided system of government, in which no single branch operates without the check and balance of the others, preserves the liberty we all hold dear," the Democratic brief said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/politics ... index.html
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18578  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Just uploaded and brightened my day:

None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18579  Postby Tero » Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Kari pitches in, skipping satire for a single post:
http://karireport.blogspot.com/2020/01/ ... -note.html
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#18580  Postby Tero » Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm

House responds to Trump lawyers' bogus claims that an impeachment is unconstititional if it is not bipartisan(the Constitution does not require parties!):

President Trump maintains that the Senate cannot remove him even if the House proves every claim in the Articles of impeachment. That is a chilling assertion," the House managers wrote in their nine-page brief. "The Framers deliberately drafted a Constitution that allows the Senate to remove Presidents who, like President Trump, abuse their power to cheat in elections, betray our national security, and ignore checks and balances. That President Trump believes otherwise, and insists he is free to engage in such conduct again, only highlights the continuing threat he poses to the Nation if allowed to remain in office."
CNN
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs