geometry and the gregorian calendar

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: geometry and the gregorian calendar

#61  Postby ikcol » Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm

for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible:

april 9th? 94 or 904?
february 20th? 2002? are you serious?
ikcol

Print view this post

#62  Postby ADParker » Aug 21, 2015 10:43 pm

ikcol wrote:for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible:

april 9th? 94 or 904?

What? Try to make yourself clear. I'm suspecting now that you are incapable of making coherent arguments for some reason.

April 9th: 09 04 (simple "dd mm" formatting)
February 20th: 20 02 (the same "dd mm" formatting).

Once that is sorted out we can get to why you would transform"09 04" into a single number "(0)904", why you make a number with the month in the ones and sometimes the tens column (unless the month number is less than 10 and the day is more than 9 presumably, in which case you only put it in the ones column), and the day either in the thousands and hundreds columns or the hundreds and tens column depending on what you did with the month. :what:

Personally I would suspect that a more useful approach would be to transform the date into a number such as how many days it has been from the 'start' of the Gregorian calendar (created long after that start date of course) to that date.
E.g. the 20th of February 1988 = 725,788 (as there has been that many days from the 1st of January in 1 CE to that date, not accounting for the various adjustments that have been made to the calendar over time of course).
And then you don't have to do any weird adding of numbers which doesn't seem to make any mathematical or chronological sense at all.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#63  Postby ikcol » Aug 21, 2015 11:00 pm

for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible. you can't put it more clear than that. sorry.
ikcol

Print view this post

#64  Postby ADParker » Aug 21, 2015 11:18 pm

ikcol wrote:for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible. you can't put it more clear than that. sorry.

So it doesn't bother you that that rule makes no mathematical sense, and undermines anything mathematical you might hope to do with it? That's fine if you are just playing meaningless and pointless games with numbers I guess. Have fun with that.

Wouldn't "for 'daymonth' use 4 digits in the "dd/mm" (or mm/dd) format" make more sense? But I guess making sense isn't that important to you, you are just playing games and pretending that they mean something.

EDIT: Isn't it 'interesting' that your method means that:
20th of February and 2nd of February both equal 202?
(And it's the same issue for the 1st and 10th, 2nd and 20th, 3rd and 30th of January, February [except no 30th of course], March, April, May June, July, August and September :think: )
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Sciwoman » Aug 22, 2015 2:29 am

I've read this thread while sober and while drunk. Doesn't make sense either way. What am I missing?
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 22, 2015 2:37 am

Better drugs?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Sciwoman » Aug 22, 2015 2:48 am

Could be! :mrgreen:
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#68  Postby ADParker » Aug 22, 2015 5:20 am

Maybe, just maybe, the "right" combination of mind altering drugs might result in it seeming to make sense to you, but even then I sort of doubt it.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#69  Postby catbasket » Aug 22, 2015 9:40 am

april 9th? 94 or 904?

First, just for convenience, let's write the dates in the format which matches the term "daymonth" -
9th April and 20th February

Now, express the first of those dates using the rule for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible:

a. 9th April = 094
b. 9th April = 904
c. 9th April = 0904 (effectively the same as b. above)
d. 9th April = 9004 (there's no rule about how many leading zeroes there can be - month has two leading zeroes)
e. 9th April = 90004 (now the month has three leading zeroes)

As you can see we already have four different numerical values to represent 9th April - 094, 904, 9004, 90004 - and they all obey your rule for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible. But we don't need to stop there - we can add as many leading zeroes for the month value as we wish and the numerical value produced still obeys the rule -

900004, 90000004, 9000000000000000004 for example all obey the rule.

We could use the same method to create varying values for 20th February but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader ...

ikcol do you not now see how your 'rule' - for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible - is completely useless if you wish to perform any mathematical operations on the values it produces?
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Alan B » Aug 22, 2015 9:53 am

ikcol is not using any mathematical rules and what 'rules' are used are inconsistent and are part of the magick of numerology.
It's like jumbling the words in a sentence until they make 'grammatical' sense but where the sentence has no meaning.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby catbasket » Aug 22, 2015 9:57 am

Yes indeed, but I thought I'd make at least one serious attempt at helping ikcol to understand that fact. I may be being just a teeny tiny fraction over-optimistic ...
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby ikcol » Aug 22, 2015 10:24 am

catbasket wrote:

april 9th? 94 or 904?

First, just for convenience, let's write the dates in the format which matches the term "daymonth" -
9th April and 20th February

Now, express the first of those dates using the rule for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible:

a. 9th April = 094
b. 9th April = 904
c. 9th April = 0904 (effectively the same as b. above)
d. 9th April = 9004 (there's no rule about how many leading zeroes there can be - month has two leading zeroes)
e. 9th April = 90004 (now the month has three leading zeroes)

As you can see we already have four different numerical values to represent 9th April - 094, 904, 9004, 90004 - and they all obey your rule for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible. But we don't need to stop there - we can add as many leading zeroes for the month value as we wish and the numerical value produced still obeys the rule -

900004, 90000004, 9000000000000000004 for example all obey the rule.

We could use the same method to create varying values for 20th February but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader ...

ikcol do you not now see how your 'rule' - for "daymonth" use 3 and at least 3 digits whenever possible - is completely useless if you wish to perform any mathematical operations on the values it produces?

:lol:
ikcol

Print view this post

#73  Postby ADParker » Aug 22, 2015 10:31 am

ikcol thinks it is funny that his arbitrary rule doesn't work. Once again implying that he isn't being serious to begin with, just taking the piss... because he thinks it's funny to make people think he is mentally ill or an idiot or something along those lines. :dunno:
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#74  Postby ikcol » Aug 22, 2015 10:39 am

it is virtually impossible to misread the "rule", that's why i laugh.
ikcol

Print view this post

#75  Postby catbasket » Aug 22, 2015 10:43 am

ikcol wrote: :lol:

Maybe you could try to explain where my understanding of your 'rule' is mistaken? Or are you just trolling?

Of course you might be agreeing that your alleged 'rule' is hilariously not fit for purpose :mrgreen:

Edit:
it is virtually impossible to misread the "rule", that's why i laugh.

Aha! So you are indeed admitting your 'rule' is utter bollocks.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#76  Postby ikcol » Aug 22, 2015 11:33 am

Last edited by ikcol on Aug 22, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ikcol

Print view this post

#77  Postby ADParker » Aug 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Okay, so I guess we can conclude that you are convinced that you are using the right formatting for your "daymonth"number, so let's move on.

Why do you turn those (arbitrary?) dates into 3 or 4 digit numbers, where:
If the month is between January and September and the day of that month is at least the 10th then the month is given a single digit and slotted into the ones column, and the day is slotted into the tens and hundreds column,
Otherwise the month is given a two digit number and slotted into the ones and tens slots, and the day slotted into the hundreds and thousands slots?
What is the meaning and significance of the resulting number?
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#78  Postby ikcol » Aug 22, 2015 12:34 pm

repost, since it's page 4 and the issue is almost resolved:
ikcol

Print view this post

#79  Postby Alan B » Aug 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Searching for 'gregorian geometry' I come across this:
http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=284913
And this:
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2932704/pg1 Can't be bothered to sign-in.
And this:
The Science Forum/pseudoscience Couldn't be bothered to register.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby ikcol » Aug 22, 2015 4:12 pm

where? google search "gregorian geometry"... (what term is that supposed to be anyway)
ikcol

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience