Its a flat Earth folks! The scientific method

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Its a flat Earth folks! The scientific method

#101  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 1:55 pm

An admission if ever I saw one that that this user's intent is merely to troll.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#102  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 1:58 pm

BlackBart wrote::eh: There's is a group of privileged regulars here?! No one told me! Awww! I wanna be in the privileged group!! C'mon Guys, let me in! I'll sit in the back and won't get in anyone's way. :whine:

Yes. I'm like you. I would like to decide that posts were nonsense before arguing openly against them or even reading them.
Thanks for backing me up by the way. It''s always cool to get support. And don't be embarrassed. You aren't whining.
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Name: Arthur Mendoza

Print view this post

#103  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 2:00 pm

That didn't happen. You're lying.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby lobawad » Aug 25, 2013 2:04 pm

hackenslash wrote:An admission if ever I saw one that that this user's intent is merely to troll.

I disagree. I think Arthur's intention is to demonstrate that technical ability to write need not be bound to any intelligent thought or any education beyond the technical ability to write. Having done a good deal of non-trivial translation in my life, I'm impressed. In fact I can not think of a single other example of such galloping idiocy and absence of understanding so cleanly and grammatically presented, for all that I've translated and edited an assload of po-mo professors (!) in my time.

From my corner of things- a star is born!
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Please note: Arguments come first, conclusions follow.
But on this thread the conclusion came first

So I cannot attend to any arguments on this thread. My personal apologies. If you had asked me to put my post in pseudophilosophy I would have done so, but I never saw the arguments. I'm sorry we missed our chance for a good argument, but I think you will learn from the experience. Everyone have a nice day. It's great to be here by the way. Bye.
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#106  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Apologies again. I cannot attend to decisions made about my post.

Readers please be advised that I do not attend to arguments presented here (on this thread), so please do not spend time writing any up. I have not read what has been presented above. The decisions about my post have already been made, a long time ago, and arguments are no longer relevant.

So you admit you're just trolling the board?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:
BlackBart wrote::eh: There's is a group of privileged regulars here?! No one told me! Awww! I wanna be in the privileged group!! C'mon Guys, let me in! I'll sit in the back and won't get in anyone's way. :whine:

Yes. I'm like you. I would like to decide that posts were nonsense before arguing openly against them or even reading them.
Thanks for backing me up by the way. It''s always cool to get support. And don't be embarrassed. You aren't whining.

Stop lying.
Clear refutation of your post, as well as explanations why it's pseudo-science had already been offered before the threat was moved.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Please note: Arguments come first, conclusions follow.
But on this thread the conclusion came first

Still lying.
I presented refutations of your opening post, as well as reasons why it should be moved, before I reported the thread and before it got moved.
Ergo you are lying. So unless you are intentionally trying to marter yourself via rule violation I'd stop if I were you.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#109  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Hmm, death by mod, eh? I usually pick on up on that intent pretty quickly. Good shout.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Can I go now? I cannot keep returning to make the same point.
Listen, Thomas, you are always looking after my interests. Can't you put a word in for me, there's a dear.

As my father always used to say "We'll put a word in for you, kiddo" before he went down the mines. And that's what I always said to my kids when I sent them down the mines after me, "there you kids. Your old man put the word in for you". They were chuffed.

So all I'm saying Thomas is that when my father always used to say "We'll put a word in for you, kiddo" before he went down the mines. And when I always said to my kids when I sent them down the mines after me, "there you kids. Your old man put the word in for you", they was all chuffed. And I was all chuffed. That's right lad. Chuffed.
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#111  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Can you go? Only one way to respond to that:

Please ensure that the postern is unimpeded by the gluteal region as you egress.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#112  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh crikey. Called back again.

Right. Would the complainant who said he successfully argued against my post BEFORE it was decided as nonsense (was it you Thomas - et tu Thomaso?), please repeat those arguments here. And then say why I have to come back again and argue it all over again AFTER the decision was made to scrap it. But as its you Thomas, you old scallywag, I'll let you off. If you want. How's that. Can't say fairer than that.

As my father always used to say "Can't say fairer than that" before he went down the mines. And that's what I always said to my kids when I sent them down the mines after me, "there you kids. Can't say fairer than that". They were chuffed.

So all I'm saying Thomas, is, can't say fairer than that!
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#113  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Allow me:

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Arthur Methoxy wrote:The steps of the Scientific Method are observation/research, hypothesis, prediction, experimentation and conclusion.

There are a few niggles with this sequence and its implementation. For example, the implementation of the first step - "observation/research" is itself guided by the conclusions of another, completed, scientific method that is itself based on a currently popular paradigm of science.

Ehm, no it isn't. Observation is a passive thing, people, even babies do it.
It doesn't require any epimistic thought or previous scientitic method.
The acurate notation and interpetation, which is actually step 2, does to a certain degree.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Further, supposedly key terms like "objective", "logical" and "rigor" are more like rally-calls for the troops, too vague to be useful as determinants of experimental method with their moralistic overtones.

Have you called the universities around the world, as well as every single dictionary company to inform them of that?
Seriously, spouting garbage like this won't get you far on this site.
Those terms aren't 'rally call", nice poisoning of the well there, they're relevant and and clearly defined terms.

Arthur Methoxy wrote: And a strictly materialist definition of "objective" cannot investigate qualities like colour and sound for which there is no direct experimental evidence..

First get rid of the straw-man materialism.
Secondly even a materialist can investigate qualities like colour, sound et all, as long as there's an agreement as to what those terms mean. And guess what? There is.
There are scientific definitions of colour and soud.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:It's a flat Earth folks!..

Can't wait for you to present some evidence for that. :roll:

Arthur Methoxy wrote:But it is "Truth" that gets the biggest bashing in science.

Oh yippee, the Truth! You forgot to trademark it by the way, it's "The Truth™ ".

Arthur Methoxy wrote:There can be no advances in experimental science,

Of course not. That's why we still use candles, horse and wagon and herbal remedies to the exclusion of all other options. :crazy:

Arthur Methoxy wrote:no "getting closer to the truth" for a pragmatic scientific method.

Thus it was asserted blindly and vapidly.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:If instruments show it, then the Earth is flat.

And they don't.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Thousands of years ago theories abounded whether the earth was flat or round. The truth was, is, and forever will be, the earth is flat if contemporary instruments show it.

:what:
And they still don't.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Today we think we are advancing closer to the truth of the shape of the Earth. But truth depends entirely on instrumentation and observation.

And unbiased interpetation and analysation.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Currently we have approximated the shape to an oblate spheroid, more round than the roundness of a billiard ball. A future science could show this to be entirely wrong and that instead the Earth is a multidimensional disc.

:what:
How do you know this?

Arthur Methoxy wrote:No-one could be right because we have no means of showing when we are right, and not because we are wrong.

:nono:

Arthur Methoxy wrote:
Concluding..

A conclusion insinuates an ordered argument.
Your string of assertions, non-sequiturs and rectal matter consitutes no such thing.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:What then, is going wrong with the idea of advances of Truth in the scientific method?

You're still spelling it wrong, it's The Truth™.

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Two key, related, assumption have been hidden away - the "universal instrument", and the "universal scientific paradigm". This universal instrument, like an instrumental Turing Machine can, hypothetically, take a bird's eye view or measurement of an Earth viewed from its absolute, ideal, scientific paradigm. These twin beliefs are not open to experimental method, yet they guide us in our judgements about the scientific method. We won't when we have reached the universal paradigm or got hold of our universal instrument. But we need the idea of them to claim an "advance" in science That's what's wrong, what's unscientific , with the scientific method.

Where did you got all these strange notions?

As for why you have to come back, you don't. You could just fuck off and stop bothering us, it's entirely up to you.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#114  Postby stijndeloose » Aug 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Oh crikey. Called back again.

Right. Would the complainant who said he successfully argued against my post BEFORE it was decided as nonsense (was it you Thomas - et tu Thomaso?), please repeat those arguments here. And then say why I have to come back again and argue it all over again AFTER the decision was made to scrap it. But as its you Thomas, you old scallywag, I'll let you off. If you want. How's that. Can't say fairer than that.

As my father always used to say "Can't say fairer than that" before he went down the mines. And that's what I always said to my kids when I sent them down the mines after me, "there you kids. Can't say fairer than that". They were chuffed.

So all I'm saying Thomas, is, can't say fairer than that!

Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#115  Postby lobawad » Aug 25, 2013 2:40 pm

The Latin vocative would retain the ending of the nominative for "Thomas": Et tu, Thomas.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm

Back again. So Thomas was right after all. His arguments were the best. I knew he was a force to be reckoned with. Put me to rights - banged me up in pseudophilosophy good and proper and threw away the key. Had to come back to acknowledge that. You win Thomas. Well done lad. You might have thanked the moderators though. They need a bit of praise now and again, like everyone.

~ Way down upon dee swanee ribber...

Sorry, had to break into song there. As the genie said in the Golden Voyage of Sindbad when asked why he was laughing, ".. for my freedom is at hand".
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#117  Postby hackenslash » Aug 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Back again. So Thomas was right after all. His arguments were the best.

How do you know? You admitted to not having read the submissions of others.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#118  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:
Right. Would the complainant who said he successfully argued against my post BEFORE it was decided as nonsense (was it you Thomas - et tu Thomaso?), please repeat those arguments here.

I know this is going to be incredibly difficult and labor-intensive, but try to follow me here and you'll have everything you need:

1. Press the button of the thread title. This will take you to the first page of this thread.
2. Skip past your moronic first post
3. Start reading.

Both Thomas and I made points against your moronic OP well before it got moved :cheers:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Arthur Methoxy » Aug 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Huffnslash - read the posts, before making things up.
So Thomas had a helper eh. There you are. Two expert arguers. Did gone and done me in. Not ding dong but dung and gone. That's what I always say. I always say not ding dong but dung and gone did gone and done me in. Hey ho. That's life.
Arthur Methoxy
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#120  Postby Paul Almond » Aug 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Arthur Methoxy wrote:Huffnslash - read the posts, before making things up.
So Thomas had a helper eh. There you are. Two expert arguers. Did gone and done me in. Not ding dong but dung and gone. That's what I always say. I always say not ding dong but dung and gone did gone and done me in. Hey ho. That's life.

I just reported you for referring to hackenslash as "Huffnslash".
If I ever start making posts like "On the banning and partial banning of words!" then I view my life as less than worthless and I hope that my friends here would have a collection to pay for ninjas to be sent to my home to kill me*. (*=humanely)
Paul Almond

Name: Paul Almond
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience