Addiction is Not a Disease

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Addiction is Not a Disease

#81  Postby Agrippina » Aug 04, 2010 8:54 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Agrippina wrote:Thanks Mr S. I appreciate that. Morpheus? Any ideas.

I'm interested because it seems to me that the children of drunks seem to go either one way or the other, they become drunks themselves or they go to the other extreme and make comments like "I don't want to start drinking because alcoholism runs in my family."

Yeah the problem with that kind of relationship is that it's a prime example of "correlation does not equal causation". That is, it may be true that children of alcoholics are significantly more likely to become alcoholics themselves and for it to have absolutely nothing to do with genetics. For example, it could be that living in poorer conditions (due to the family struggling to pay it's way as a result of the parent's addiction) causes the child to becomean alcoholic. Or it could be an associated third variable which produces the effect - so it could be that both parent and child have inherited some disorder like depression which makes them more likely to drink (self-medication). Here we would find the same correlation, but genetics would not be the cause of addiction, instead the depression would be.

True. I know a few families with fathers who are serious drunks and who themselves are perfectly normal social drinkers like the rest of us. And other families where the parents don't drink at all and the kids are alcoholics and drug addicts. I don't think it's genetic, I simply want to know what experts think.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Delphin » Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm

One of our professors in differential psychology did research on COMT-polymorphisms and alcoholism, and I think, they found a relationship between the Val158Met polymorphism of the COMT gene and a disposition to alcoholism, but only in Type-I-alcoholics (late-onset alcoholics).

I cannot find any of his articles, but here are some others:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16648777
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1839786
Last edited by Delphin on Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delphin

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Agrippina » Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Delphin wrote:One of our professors in differential psychology did research on COMT-polymorphisms and alcoholism, and I think, they found that a relationship between the Val158Met polymorphism of the COMT gene and a disposition to alcoholism, but only in Type-I-alcoholics (late onset alcoholics).

I cannot find any of his articles, but here are some others:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16648777
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1839786

Thanks - interesting.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#84  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 28, 2010 5:56 am

If I could drink like a normal person I would drink all of the time.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#85  Postby irreligionist » Sep 29, 2010 4:26 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:If I could drink like a normal person I would drink all of the time.

:lol:
irreligionist

Print view this post

#86  Postby prschuster » Nov 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Arguing about whether addiction is a disease gets to be pointless. The results of addiction and the struggle to battle addiction are still the same regardless of what you call it. Personal responsibility is still an issue and making a decision to quit is still a moral imperative if one's substance abuse hurts others. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't even matter what steps someone takes to recover, as long as they find something that works.
prschuster

Name: Philip Schuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm

It does tend to turn into combat between working definitions of disease from people with varying expertise in the medical fields.

Is alcoholism a disease like cancer is? You can't simply decide to not have cancer and be done with it, as you very well can with alcohol (regardless of the difficulty of that decision, it is possible). I never much cared for the disease approach to the problem of alcoholism for this reason.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#88  Postby prschuster » Nov 07, 2010 3:42 pm

I can see how the changes in brain chemistry and neural connections associated with addiction, can be refered to as a "brain disease", as I've said before. I can also understand how this will affect someone's behavior. But as Metatron says, the disease approach tends to minimize the importance or efficacy of choosing to quit and puts too much emphasis on the need for outside help and intervention. It's not the definition of addiction as a disease that bothers me, so much as it is the rationale for treating addicts as if they were so powerless to help themselves that they are prone to inevitable relapse from this chronic progressive volitional disease if they don't follow a strict regimen of recovery.
prschuster

Name: Philip Schuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience