ADHD is 'not a real disease'

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: ADHD is 'not a real disease'

#121  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 7:54 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:That suggests a problem with a social dimension. I'm not arguing that 'fitting in' is not a problem for some people, but it is a social problem.

"Fitting in" isn't a criterion for ADHD, it has nothing to do with being diagnosed.

Do you think maybe you should read up a little on the topic before trying to engage any further?

No, perhaps not, but that once identified 'adequately', it is treated with drugs, leads directly to considerations of aspects of social conformity and social efficiency. That these are constructs, you will not dispute.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 7:59 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Well, then our disagreement is a small one: The 'best' solution is a judgement call. Politics as usual, a social problem. In our rationalist-scientific culture, not everyone in our various societies agrees that the best solution for our social problems is to apply the scientific method to them.

The best solution to medical problems isn't necessarily scientific? Okay, I'm sure you can try to argue that but I don't think there are better methods than science to answer the relevant questions.

Cito di Pense wrote:Take religious faith, for example. I bet if you looked hard enough, you could find an organic etiology for that, too, and even come up with some 'inter-rater agreement' on what drugs to use to treat it. If I were to hazard a guess about what the professionals would choose, it would be one or another of the many anti-anxiety drugs on the market.

:lol: I love it when you use words and terms you don't understand, then we get wibble like this. "Come up with some inter-rater agreement" to decide what drugs to use to treat it? Viewing social problems as mental disorders requiring treatment?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Cito di Pense wrote:But drugging a majority of people in your society for a single condition calls the notion that it is a 'solution' into serious question.

Who's drugging a majority of the population? Where's your evidence that there is a better alternative?

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:"Fitting in" isn't a criterion for ADHD, it has nothing to do with being diagnosed.

Do you think maybe you should read up a little on the topic before trying to engage any further?

No, perhaps not, but that once identified 'adequately', it is treated with drugs, leads directly to considerations of aspects of social conformity and social efficiency. That these are constructs, you will not dispute.

Diagnosis and treatment of mental disorder has nothing to do with social conformity and social efficiency. I do dispute it because you are pulling it out of your ass.

Please, please, just read something on the topic. Stop making shit up and pretending that your personal beliefs are just as valid as science.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#123  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 8:08 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:

Cito di Pense wrote:Drugging someone is supposedly scientific, isn't it?

No, nobody has claimed that. The evidence that shows that medication for ADHD is the best treatment option is, however, undeniably scientific.

'Best' is a judgment call. It depends on constructs like social conformity and efficiency in ways you seem unwilling to discuss. You're saying, it's scientific and that's that. It's scientistic, perhaps, but we can discuss that.

Mr.Samsa wrote:I love it when you use words and terms you don't understand, then we get wibble like this. "Come up with some inter-rater agreement" to decide what drugs to use to treat it? Viewing social problems as mental disorders requiring treatment?

Misrepresenting my position is not a way to win this argument, Mr.Samsa. Perhaps you just don't feel up to dealing with the position I have taken, which is that the act of drugging people for the classroom has the dimensions of a social problem.

It's true that some people want to fit in and some people don't, and I don't confuse that problem with that identified as ADHD. I think it's been mentioned that some people diagnosed with ADHD don't lack entirely for something to which they can and do devote their attention in a controlled way. The fact that society demands we concentrate on a variety of tasks is something I hardly need to point out to you.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:But drugging a majority of people in your society for a single condition calls the notion that it is a 'solution' into serious question.

Who's drugging a majority of the population? Where's your evidence that there is a better alternative?

That was a half-serious satire on the problem of religious faith which isn't considered a problem because most people have it. I guess it whooshed by. Let's try again. Try to concentrate on what I say, rather than the conversation with me that's going on only inside your own head. Perhaps we should worry that the theist majority is going to insist on drugging the atheists so they will calm down and stop being so 'strident'. Bring on the anti-anxiety medications! Stat!

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 8:15 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Diagnosis and treatment of mental disorder has nothing to do with social conformity and social efficiency.

You and I disagree fundamentally on this point. I don't insist that it has everything to do with social conformity and efficiency, but that they are considerations in the diagnosis and treatment, considerations that apparently some self-styled 'experts' find they can ignore.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 8:24 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:No, nobody has claimed that. The evidence that shows that medication for ADHD is the best treatment option is, however, undeniably scientific.

'Best' is a judgment call. It depends on constructs like social conformity and efficiency in ways you seem unwilling to discuss. You're saying, it's scientific and that's that. It's scientistic, perhaps, but we can discuss that.

It's a "judgement call" in the same way that saying evolutionary processes are the best explanation for the origin of species is a judgement call.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:I love it when you use words and terms you don't understand, then we get wibble like this. "Come up with some inter-rater agreement" to decide what drugs to use to treat it? Viewing social problems as mental disorders requiring treatment?

Misrepresenting my position is not a way to win this argument, Mr.Samsa. Perhaps you just don't feel up to dealing with the position I have taken, which is that the act of drugging people for the classroom has the dimensions of a social problem.

Misrepresenting you? I literally quoted your words exactly as you used them. Are you denying that you said: "and even come up with some 'inter-rater agreement' on what drugs to use to treat it."?

And ADHD has nothing to do with drugging people "for the classroom". Again, read up on the topic.

Cito di Pense wrote:It's true that some people want to fit in and some people don't, and I don't confuse that problem with that identified as ADHD. I think it's been mentioned that some people diagnosed with ADHD don't lack entirely for something to which they can and do devote their attention in a controlled way. The fact that society demands we concentrate on a variety of tasks is something I hardly need to point out to you.

So you agree that ADHD has nothing to do with fitting in? Good.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

That was a half-serious satire on the problem of religious faith which isn't considered a problem because most people have it. I guess it whooshed by.

It didn't whoosh by, it was just a stupid comment by you and you don't realise how ridiculous it is because you don't understand the topic. More simply put: a category of mental disorder, by definition, cannot affect the majority of the population. What you have done there isn't "satire", it's just pure pseudoscientific twaddle.

Cito di Pense wrote:Let's try again. Try to concentrate on what I say, rather than the conversation with me that's going on only inside your own head.

Haha big words coming from you. Hey, if that's how you want to play it, let's go back to the original comment where I pointed out that someone's comment about a lack of agreement being wrong. What did you take from my words there? That psychology is a science because of some perceived consensus that you made up in your head?

Glasshouses, buddy. More importantly, I have only criticised the words you have presented.

Cito di Pense wrote:Perhaps we should worry that the theist majority is going to insist on drugging the atheists so they will calm down and stop being so 'strident'. Bring on the anti-anxiety medications! Stat!

Even supposing your conspiracy theory is true (giving up on the aliens already?), it has nothing to do with this topic. It flatly contradicts all the standards of clinical psychology.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#126  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:No, nobody has claimed that. The evidence that shows that medication for ADHD is the best treatment option is, however, undeniably scientific.

It's a "judgement call" in the same way that saying evolutionary processes are the best explanation for the origin of species is a judgement call.

Except that one statement is a scientific explanation, and another one is an evaluation of a proposed treatment option. u haz a konfoozed

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Misrepresenting you? I literally quoted your words exactly as you used them. Are you denying that you said: "and even come up with some 'inter-rater agreement' on what drugs to use to treat it."?

And ADHD has nothing to do with drugging people "for the classroom". Again, read up on the topic.

You missed the satire in a forest of etiology. I'm not disputing the diagnosis, but the reasons that anyone bothers to identify it and treat it are social. Nobody agrees with me that religious faith is a response to an anxiety disorder and is treatable. Boo fucking hoo.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:It's true that some people want to fit in and some people don't, and I don't confuse that problem with that identified as ADHD. I think it's been mentioned that some people diagnosed with ADHD don't lack entirely for something to which they can and do devote their attention in a controlled way. The fact that society demands we concentrate on a variety of tasks is something I hardly need to point out to you.

So you agree that ADHD has nothing to do with fitting in? Good.

No, Mr.Samsa, I don't so agree, because I only said that ADHD sometimes has something to do with fitting in, so your statement above is a severe misrepresentation of my position, indicating your unwillingness to address it. I won't ask you to 'deal with it' because that is a phrase from psychobabble, and you wouldn't care to address it.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

That was a half-serious satire on the problem of religious faith which isn't considered a problem because most people have it. I guess it whooshed by.

It didn't whoosh by, it was just a stupid comment by you and you don't realise how ridiculous it is because you don't understand the topic. More simply put: a category of mental disorder, by definition, cannot affect the majority of the population. What you have done there isn't "satire", it's just pure pseudoscientific twaddle.

Way to miss the point of the satire. Some people just don't get satire. Among them are the biblical literalists, whose bible happens to be the DSM.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Let's try again. Try to concentrate on what I say, rather than the conversation with me that's going on only inside your own head.

Haha big words coming from you. Hey, if that's how you want to play it, let's go back to the original comment where I pointed out that someone's comment about a lack of agreement being wrong. What did you take from my words there? That psychology is a science because of some perceived consensus that you made up in your head?

Glasshouses, buddy. More importantly, I have only criticised the words you have presented.

Ooh. Tough talk from a real he-man. Will you let me feel up your discursive muscles?

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Perhaps we should worry that the theist majority is going to insist on drugging the atheists so they will calm down and stop being so 'strident'. Bring on the anti-anxiety medications! Stat!

Even supposing your conspiracy theory is true (giving up on the aliens already?), it has nothing to do with this topic. It flatly contradicts all the standards of clinical psychology.

It's not a conspiracy theory, Mr.Samsa. It's a satire. Get a sense of humour.

Oh, wait. We can't address this with humour! People are suffering! With ADHD! The horror! If you're a secularist, one thing you don't worry about is whether suffering is temporary or not, because eternity is not on your radar. Instead, there's sometimes an alternative belief system, to wit, that because life is brief, we shouldn't waste it in suffering, hence the mantra of the helping professions. Justifying that is left as an exercise for the diligent reader. My solution: "It's a living."

For my next trick, I'll deconstruct 'suffering' for you. Then you can call that a conspiracy theory, or post something from the PostModernism Generator. FTW.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 9:12 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Except that one statement is a scientific explanation, and another one is an evaluation of a proposed treatment option. u haz a konfoozed

Nope, both scientific conclusions.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

You missed the satire in a forest of etiology. I'm not disputing the diagnosis, but the reasons that anyone bothers to identify it and treat it are social. Nobody agrees with me that religious faith is a response to an anxiety disorder and is treatable. Boo fucking hoo.

I'll take your dodging of the question as an admission that you were lying about me misrepresenting you and I forgive you on the condition that you don't make ridiculous accusations like that again.

And a word of advice: satire only works when you understand the topic to such a degree that you are capable of cleverly poking fun at problems with that topic. You are nowhere near any level of understanding that allows meaningful satire.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:So you agree that ADHD has nothing to do with fitting in? Good.

No, Mr.Samsa, I don't so agree, because I only said that ADHD sometimes has something to do with fitting in, so your statement above is a severe misrepresentation of my position, indicating your unwillingness to address it. I won't ask you to 'deal with it' because that is a phrase from psychobabble, and you wouldn't care to address it.

ADHD has absolutely nothing to do with fitting in. You keep asserting this, continually without evidence, and you (for some reason) think you're making a valid point.

How about this: present evidence and stop making shit up to cover up your lack of knowledge in the area.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:It didn't whoosh by, it was just a stupid comment by you and you don't realise how ridiculous it is because you don't understand the topic. More simply put: a category of mental disorder, by definition, cannot affect the majority of the population. What you have done there isn't "satire", it's just pure pseudoscientific twaddle.

Way to miss the point of the satire. Some people just don't get satire. Among them are the biblical literalists, whose bible happens to be the DSM.

Again, I didn't miss the "satire", you just aren't capable of it.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Ooh. Tough talk from a real he-man. Will you let me feel up your discursive muscles?

Ah, you've realised that you have no ground to stand on and you're attempting to derail the discussion like you tend to do. Good try.

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Again, you don't understand the subject well enough to attempt humour (and I'd argue that you're not very good at humour at all).

Cito di Pense wrote:Oh, wait. We can't address this with humour! People are suffering! With ADHD! The horror! If you're a secularist, one thing you don't worry about is whether suffering is temporary or not, because eternity is not on your radar. Instead, there's sometimes an alternative belief system, to wit, that because life is brief, we shouldn't waste it in suffering, hence the mantra of the helping professions. Justifying that is left as an exercise for the diligent reader. My solution: "It's a living."

It has nothing to do with "not being allowed to address it with humour", it's that you're not funny. It's okay, my dad has the same problem when he tells bad jokes and then complains that everyone needs to "lighten up" - no dad, you're just not funny.

Learn a little about the topic. Then when you have a basic grasp of it, then maybe try humour.

Cito di Pense wrote:For my next trick, I'll deconstruct 'suffering' for you. Then you can call that a conspiracy theory, or post something from the PostModernism Generator. FTW.

I was going to post from the PoMo generator but you beat me to it :(
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#128  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 9:26 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Except that one statement is a scientific explanation, and another one is an evaluation of a proposed treatment option. u haz a konfoozed

Nope, both scientific conclusions.

... he asserted without justification, continuing the argument from authority. Dismissed.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

I'll take your dodging of the question as an admission that you were lying about me misrepresenting you and I forgive you on the condition that you don't make ridiculous accusations like that again.

And a word of advice: satire only works when you understand the topic to such a degree that you are capable of cleverly poking fun at problems with that topic. You are nowhere near any level of understanding that allows meaningful satire.

Said the world's expert on 'satire'. Have I not identified and poked fun at problems with this topic? Only self-styled experts contend they have the expertise to identify the necessary expertise, as if there were any. Only the very wise can see the Emperor's robes. Show me the fucking methodology. Next best thing to money, which can buy expert testimony wholesale.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:So you agree that ADHD has nothing to do with fitting in? Good.

ADHD has absolutely nothing to do with fitting in. You keep asserting this, continually without evidence, and you (for some reason) think you're making a valid point.

How about this: present evidence and stop making shit up to cover up your lack of knowledge in the area.

How about presenting evidence that you yourself are an expert. Trotting out phrases like 'inter-rater agreement' only assures me that you ran across the term in something you once read. Keep in mind that only the very wise can detect expertise in a specialised field.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:It didn't whoosh by, it was just a stupid comment by you and you don't realise how ridiculous it is because you don't understand the topic. More simply put: a category of mental disorder, by definition, cannot affect the majority of the population. What you have done there isn't "satire", it's just pure pseudoscientific twaddle.

Again, I didn't miss the "satire", you just aren't capable of it.

Well, there you go passing judgement on my capabilities, rather than what I say. Congratulations on making another personal attack as a subterfuge for hiding the fact that you haven't demonstrated any expertise. See how this works?

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Again, you don't understand the subject well enough to attempt humour (and I'd argue that you're not very good at humour at all).

Please, O! Great Oracle! Tell us how we demonstrate understanding of a topic? Is it by sprinkling our conversation randomly with jargon like 'inter-rater agreement', as if such a thing demonstrated science at work? Rating is subjective.

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Oh, wait. We can't address this with humour! People are suffering! With ADHD! The horror! If you're a secularist, one thing you don't worry about is whether suffering is temporary or not, because eternity is not on your radar. Instead, there's sometimes an alternative belief system, to wit, that because life is brief, we shouldn't waste it in suffering, hence the mantra of the helping professions. Justifying that is left as an exercise for the diligent reader. My solution: "It's a living."

It has nothing to do with "not being allowed to address it with humour", it's that you're not funny. It's okay, my dad has the same problem when he tells bad jokes and then complains that everyone needs to "lighten up" - no dad, you're just not funny.

Learn a little about the topic. Then when you have a basic grasp of it, then maybe try humour.

Repeating yourself isn't helping here, when you have never demonstrated any kind of 'expertise'. As if anyone could in a field that refers to 'inter-rater agreement'.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 9:46 am

Hey Cito - learn some science and then come back. I'm sick of your pseudoscientific, postmodernist bullshit. Science is cool, don't be scared of it.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#130  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 9:55 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Hey Cito - learn some science and then come back. I'm sick of your pseudoscientific, postmodernist bullshit. Science is cool, don't be scared of it.

My expertise is in chemistry and materials sciences, which are recognised as scientific fields. Do let me know how 'inter-rater agreement' implies an equivalent level of scientific rigour. Deconstructive satire is a great way of dealing with pseudoscience.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 10:01 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:Hey Cito - learn some science and then come back. I'm sick of your pseudoscientific, postmodernist bullshit. Science is cool, don't be scared of it.

My expertise is in chemistry and materials sciences, which are recognised as scientific fields.

I call bullshit. I don't believe that your demonstrated level of scientific ignorance could exist in someone who has studied a scientific field. The only way it could be true is if you did those fields as part of an engineering path, which obviously isn't a science.

Cito di Pense wrote:Do let me know how 'inter-rater agreement' implies an equivalent level of scientific rigour. Deconstructive satire is a great way of dealing with pseudoscience.

NOBODY HAS FUCKING SAID THAT INTER-RATER AGREEMENT IMPLIES A LEVEL OF SCIENTIFIC RIGOUR.

I've made it big so you will have no excuse to repeat this ridiculous claim any more.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#132  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 10:04 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
I've made it big so you will have no excuse to repeat this ridiculous claim any more.

Well, since you've made it so big, now, perhaps you'd care to identify what is scientific about a diagnosis of ADHD, besides this much-vaunted inter-rater agreement. If it's something else, you have not indicated it so far.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Well, since you've made it so big, now, perhaps you'd care to identify what is scientific about a diagnosis of ADHD, besides this much-vaunted inter-rater agreement. If it's something else, you have not indicated it so far.

Go to wikipedia, learn the basics and then we'll talk.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#134  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 10:08 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Go to wikipedia, learn the basics and then we'll talk.

The elephant in the fucking room for you is that the definition of 'science' is tautological, whereas the definition of 'scientific rigour' is still tautological, but methodological as well. So get a leg up.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Mr.Samsa » Apr 11, 2014 10:13 am

Cito di Pense wrote:The elephant in the fucking room for you is that the definition of 'science' is tautological, whereas the definition of 'scientific rigour' is still tautological, but methodological as well. So get a leg up.

There's no tautology, it's all in your head. Nobody has said anything at all that suggests a tautology which is why you can't quote anyone saying anything like that.

Please, this is a place for science not postmodernism.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#136  Postby the_5th_ape » Apr 11, 2014 10:13 am

Who is making all the noise :ask:
Thanking God for sparing you in a natural disaster is like
sending a thank-you note to a serial killer for stabbing the family next door

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why? Best Answer
the_5th_ape

Male

Print view this post

#137  Postby Deremensis » Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:

Right, Cito, when you responded to my post earlier, you entirely skipped over the second half, which should make this a bit clearer. It included a research paper and an article outlining the etiology of ADHD, as well as a fuckton of other information you seem to be missing out on. Let me quote it for you here:

Deremensis wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:Let's be extremely generous to you here, Cito. Let's say that all of psychology is useless, purely psychobabble, and its understanding of disorders is practically pseudoscientific. It doesn't help you at all. The member above claimed that there was disagreement in diagnoses and I pointed out that no such evidence existed.

Whatever the recognised name of the fallacy you're pursuing here, it's plain you're confusing the statement "not all of psychology is scientific" with "none of psychology is scientific". So let's not begin by assuming I suggested that all of psychology is useless, let alone whether all of it or none of it is scientific. The reason for my sarcastic "oh, yeah, baby" comment is that I'm as skeptical that any amount of diagnostic consensus is evidence of anything more than diagnostic consensus when there is no empirical etiology yet available.

First: see my above post, in case you missed it. Second, is there not an etiology for ADHD as yet? This paper is from 2008: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... /e358.long

Titled: Etiologic Classification of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
Journal: Pediatric Vol 121, February 1 2008

This additional article, from 2004, outlines a myriad of traits of ADHD: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/495640_3

Note that studies have found that ADHD is highly heritable, and has been linked to specific chemical reactions in the brain. So there are physically identifiable, empirical traits of ADHD. [I am not educated enough to go in-depth as to those chemical reactions, but they are talked about in the article I posted above, and dozens of articles if you just google... wait for it... "ADHD etiology".]

And as I said in a previous post, even if these things weren't true, even if ADHD was just a "collection of symptoms" - we know for a fact that that collection of symptoms is highly responsive to specific medications, and that that collection of symptoms is highly disruptive to the lives of those who have it. Why not treat it as a medical disorder and medicate it in that case? Doing so clearly has a positive impact on the quality of life for the people who have that "collection of symptoms".

It seems to me that, based on the information in the above post, ADHD is actually a very well defined medical ailment, with specific identifiable causes, as well as a semi-well-understood brain chemistry (I don't know of any better way of putting that, really.)
Deremensis

Name: Sean Carter
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Asta666 » Apr 11, 2014 5:40 pm

the_5th_ape wrote:Who is making all the noise :ask:

The behavioral account sets the task for the physiologist. Mentalism on the other hand has done a great disservice by leading physiologists on false trails in search of the neural correlates of images, memories, consciousness, and so on. Skinner
Asta666

Name: Leandro
Male

Argentina (ar)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Deremensis wrote:
It seems to me that, based on the information in the above post, ADHD is actually a very well defined medical ailment, with specific identifiable causes, as well as a semi-well-understood brain chemistry (I don't know of any better way of putting that, really.)

Come to that, any set of symptoms that can be used putatively to categorise 5% of some subpopulation of some other subpopulation can be studied for its etiology. The subpopulation for ADHD is poorly defined, and furthermore, the etiology takes 5 pages to present. In some cases, in no time at all, you have on your hands a project in social engineering. WPA for the psych department. I don't know if you'll see what I'm getting at, here, but so it goes.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Deremensis » Apr 12, 2014 3:51 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Deremensis wrote:

Come to that, any set of symptoms that can be used putatively to categorise 5% of some subpopulation of some other subpopulation can be studied for its etiology. The subpopulation for ADHD is poorly defined, and furthermore, the etiology takes 5 pages to present. In some cases, in no time at all, you have on your hands a project in social engineering. WPA for the psych department. I don't know if you'll see what I'm getting at, here, but so it goes.

So the etiology presented thus far is sufficient for the Pediatrics journal, but not for you, is what you're saying.
Deremensis

Name: Sean Carter
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience