Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

#721  Postby kennyc » May 06, 2014 10:26 am

Teuton wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Yes I am well aware of of the good ole boy status quo philosophical bullshit on this issue. The ideas that have gotten us NO-WHERE in hundreds of years. My advice is that you now forget everything you think you know about this.

It is an undeniable fact that subjective phenomenal knowledge (to know what it's like, how it appears/feels) is not inferrable from objective neurophysical knowledge. ,,,,,

Wrong.

We've been over this any number of times. It's quite simple. If we could monitor and know exactly the state and operation of each neuron and synapse in a brain, then it is not only inferrable, but measurable.

You have apparently bought in to the philosophical bs. As SOS said, forget it, let the scientists work.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#722  Postby kennyc » May 06, 2014 10:29 am

The problem with Theory of Mind is that it presupposed consciousness. It is NOT consciousness nor does it have anything fundamental to do with consciousness, it is something extra that must be gotten rid of if consciousness is to be understood.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#723  Postby GrahamH » May 06, 2014 10:51 am

kennyc wrote:The problem with Theory of Mind is that it presupposed consciousness.

No, it does not presuppose consciousness, it is neural cognition, just like any other perceptual interpretation.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#724  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2014 11:02 am

GrahamH wrote:
kennyc wrote:The problem with Theory of Mind is that it presupposed consciousness.

No, it does not presuppose consciousness, it is neural cognition, just like any other perceptual interpretation.

I agree with Kenny. You need more than just perception to have a TOM. Interpretation has to be conscious, in this case, unless it is a habitual TOM, ie, a presumed one, on the basis of past experience, rather than perception of current behaviour.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#725  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 11:48 am

kennyc wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Teuton wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:So we have a distinction between knowing what's going on from some scientific or quasi-scientifc perspective and the full sense of what it is like consciousness.

There is an objectively irreducible kind of knowledge about experiences—let's call it subjective phenomenal knowledge—which can only be acquired by people who actually have the experiences in question. For example, a person X could know by means of brain scans that another person Y is having a visual experience describable as "Something Z looks red to Y". But X wouldn't thereby also know what it's like for Y to be appeared to redly by Z. X cannot acquire this phenomenal knowledge unless he himself is appeared to redly by Z or something else. You can know a lot about colours even if you haven't had any visual experiences of them; but you cannot know what they look like or how they appear unless you have visual experiences of them. That's the difference between objective physical knowledge about colours and subjective phenomenal knowledge about them, with the latter not being deducible or scrutable a priori from the former.

Yes I am well aware of of the good ole boy status quo philosophical bullshit on this issue. The ideas that have gotten us NO-WHERE in hundreds of years. My advice is that you now forget everything you think you know about this.

This.

This thread was started in the Science area because that is what it was intended to be about. Please stick to the science.

I'm not the one that brought the Teuton quote factory!
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#726  Postby GrahamH » May 06, 2014 12:01 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

I agree with Kenny. You need more than just perception to have a TOM. Interpretation has to be conscious, in this case, unless it is a habitual TOM, ie, a presumed one, on the basis of past experience, rather than perception of current behaviour.

Any cognitive theory of consciousness requires that you are wrong. If consciousness is the something that interprets then it cannot be explained by brain processes that are, by your statement here, incapable of interpretation.

Various perceptual illusions suggest that the interpretation is not made by consciousness. Being aware that it is an illusion does not dispel the illusion and no conscious work is done to interpret it. We just apprehend the (illusory) appearance.

So I don;t agree that interpretation is conscious, I think that consciousness is an interpretation. Obviously we can't just separate conscious out as a separate thing, and rational thought is a complex form of interpretation.

Descartes' Cogito seems obviously right - that I(subjective mind) think(interpret, generate, connect).

You should challenge that notion and see where it leads. Suppose that the subjective aspect does not make the thought. Suppose that it is the context in which the thought is interpreted, and thus fed-back in the processes of interpretation.
Last edited by GrahamH on May 06, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#727  Postby kennyc » May 06, 2014 12:01 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
kennyc wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Teuton wrote:

There is an objectively irreducible kind of knowledge about experiences—let's call it subjective phenomenal knowledge—which can only be acquired by people who actually have the experiences in question. For example, a person X could know by means of brain scans that another person Y is having a visual experience describable as "Something Z looks red to Y". But X wouldn't thereby also know what it's like for Y to be appeared to redly by Z. X cannot acquire this phenomenal knowledge unless he himself is appeared to redly by Z or something else. You can know a lot about colours even if you haven't had any visual experiences of them; but you cannot know what they look like or how they appear unless you have visual experiences of them. That's the difference between objective physical knowledge about colours and subjective phenomenal knowledge about them, with the latter not being deducible or scrutable a priori from the former.

This.

This thread was started in the Science area because that is what it was intended to be about. Please stick to the science.

I'm not the one that brought the Teuton quote factory!

Yes, I know, I was agreeing with what you said and pointing out - to interested readers - that this thread should focus on the science not the bullshit.

Thanks!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#728  Postby kennyc » May 06, 2014 12:04 pm

GrahamH wrote:

As usual, you have the cart before the horse. It all starts with awareness.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#729  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Let's see what people think.

In scene (a) I am focusing on a red stop sign while driving my car.
In scene (b) I am focusing on a red ball of the exact same hue, saturation, and brightness, while sitting on a park bench.

At the moment of the focus, say a two hundred msec window, is there any reason to assume that I am having exactly the same conscious experience in the two scenes?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#730  Postby CharlieM » May 06, 2014 1:11 pm

kennyc wrote:
Teuton wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

It is an undeniable fact that subjective phenomenal knowledge (to know what it's like, how it appears/feels) is not inferrable from objective neurophysical knowledge. ,,,,,

Wrong.

We've been over this any number of times. It's quite simple. If we could monitor and know exactly the state and operation of each neuron and synapse in a brain, then it is not only inferrable, but measurable.

You have apparently bought in to the philosophical bs. As SOS said, forget it, let the scientists work.

Templeton gave us this link

Myelin is not simply an insulating material. If you are looking for the physical correlation with consciousness you will have to deal with more than just the firings between neurons. You have to deal with the vast complexities of myelination and also the communications between microtubules, the quantum effects in the tubulin that makes up the microtubules, the gamma synchronicity within the neurons explained in the Hameroff video I linked to.

On top of this there is the recently revealed complexity of the synapses themselves:

Brain more complex than previously thought, research reveals, By Chris Talbot, 3 December 2010
Attempting to explain the incredible complexity of the brain that is revealed, Smith said, “One synapse, by itself, is more like a microprocessor—with both memory-storage and information-processing elements—than a mere on/off switch. In fact, one synapse may contain on the order of 1,000 molecular-scale switches. A single human brain has more switches than all the computers and routers and Internet connections on Earth,” he said.

This is without considering the internal processing I mentioned above.

More on myelin:

From Science daily:

Finding turns neuroanatomy on its head: Researchers present new view of myelin
Date:
April 18, 2014
Source:
Harvard University

What this means, Arlotta says, is that the higher in the cerebral cortex one looks -- the closer to the top of the brain, which is its most evolved region -- the less myelin one finds. Not only that, but "neurons in this part of the brain display a brand new way of positioning myelin along their axons that has not been previously seen. They have 'intermittent myelin' with long axon tracts that lack myelin interspersed among myelin-rich segments.

Arlotta continues: "contrary to the common assumptions that neurons use a universal profile of myelin distribution on their axons, the work indicate that different neurons choose to myelinate their axons differently. In classic neurobiology textbooks myelin is represented on axons as a sequence of myelinated segments separated by very short nodes that lack myelin. This distribution of myelin was tacitly assumed to be always the same, on every neuron, from the beginning to the end of the axon. This new work finds this not to be the case."...

It is possible, said Tomassy, that these profiles of myelination "may be giving neurons an opportunity to branch out and 'talk' to neighboring neurons." For example, because axons cannot make synaptic contacts when they are myelinated, a possibility is that these long myelin gaps may be needed to increase neuronal communication and synchronize responses across different neurons.

Perhaps, he and Arlotta postulate, the intermittent myelin is intended to fine-tune the electrical impulses traveling along the axons, in order to allow the emergence of highly complex neuronal behaviors.

Do they realise what their words imply? Does Chris Talbot realise what their words imply? Obviously not.

Here are some problems pointed out by Hameroff in the video:

Problems with neurocomputation 1 to 4.jpg
Problems with neurocomputation 1 to 4.jpg (243.92 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

Problems with neurocomputation 5.jpg
Problems with neurocomputation 5.jpg (173.7 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

So here is a question for you. How do you do your measurements, taking account of quantum entanglement and quantum coherence, without taking consciousness into account? Consciousness is the very thing you say can be measured.

You have made the unjustified assumption that matter is more primal than consciousness.

Here is Hameroff's view of brain capacity taking microtubules into accout:

brain capacity.jpg
brain capacity.jpg (147.04 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#731  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 1:22 pm

CharlieM wrote:...

Here are some problems pointed out by Hameroff in the video:

Problems with neurocomputation 1 to 4.jpg

Don't know why the quote system wont allow your jpg.

But in the first hammercoff problem picture where is the research on number 3? The quantum fluctuation being 'required' for spike firing and an x-factor affecting threshold? Threshold to fire the neuron from the hillock or threshold to continue the AP along the axon?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#732  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 1:25 pm

I want to know more about this microtubule computation as well.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#733  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 1:27 pm

As to 1028, bullshit! Let's just imagine a really big number and THAT will explain consciousness! Where is the support for this happy little intuition?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#734  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 1:32 pm

from: http://jonlieffmd.com/blog/electrical-s ... e-function

There have been a variety of new forms of information transmission described but it is too early to tell how significant they are. - See more at: http://jonlieffmd.com/blog/electrical-s ... NPVjJ.dpuf

yeah.

Cheers go up in the woo section.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#735  Postby GrahamH » May 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Experiments with 'awareness' ? :naughty2:

(From comments on Electrical Synapses Are Critical for Chemical Synapse Function)
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#736  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Pretty obvious that the quantum calculations in the microtubules of your brain calculate that you want the car to lock.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#737  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2014 1:56 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Any cognitive theory of consciousness requires that you are wrong. If consciousness is the something that interprets then it cannot be explained by brain processes that are, by your statement here, incapable of interpretation.

Various perceptual illusions suggest that the interpretation is not made by consciousness. Being aware that it is an illusion does not dispel the illusion and no conscious work is done to interpret it. We just apprehend the (illusory) appearance.

So I don;t agree that interpretation is conscious, I think that consciousness is an interpretation. Obviously we can't just separate conscious out as a separate thing, and rational thought is a complex form of interpretation.

Descartes' Cogito seems obviously right - that I(subjective mind) think(interpret, generate, connect).

You should challenge that notion and see where it leads. Suppose that the subjective aspect does not make the thought. Suppose that it is the context in which the thought is interpreted, and thus fed-back in the processes of interpretation.

Graham, I think you are confusing two very different things. The unconscious nature of optical illusions (and of most of the vision process) are nothing to do with any TOM! Therefore, you are using half truths to back your position.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#738  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

It has been known for at least a few years now that gap junctions are important in the hippocampus and certain areas of the thalamus and cortex. However, thus far we have not found any excitatory gap junctions. So it seems most important in mechanism such as lateral inhibition.

At the end of the day the neuron fires into it's synapse or it does not. Now it most certainly leaks across to other neurons due to proximity and variations in myelin. But the result of the leakage is still at the end of the day, another neuron firing or not into it's synapses. It has also been known, for nearly a century, that the journey from dendritic neurons to the axonal extremity involves a zoo of analog effects. Complex mathematical models abound. The output of all these complexities is again, at the end of the day, firing or not.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#739  Postby Teuton » May 06, 2014 2:08 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Teuton wrote:
It is an undeniable fact that subjective phenomenal knowledge (to know what it's like, how it appears/feels) is not inferrable from objective neurophysical knowledge. ..

This I disagree with in part. I disagree completely in principle.

Then you're completely wrong! For example, a blind person can possess all objective scientific knowledge about colours, but this knowledge doesn't enable her to come to know how colours appear to seeing persons.
How could you possible know how lemon tastes without ever having tasted lemon or something else tasting like lemon?
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#740  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 06, 2014 2:14 pm

Teuton wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
Teuton wrote:
It is an undeniable fact that subjective phenomenal knowledge (to know what it's like, how it appears/feels) is not inferrable from objective neurophysical knowledge. ..

This I disagree with in part. I disagree completely in principle.

Then you're completely wrong! For example, a blind person can possess all objective scientific knowledge about colours, but this knowledge doesn't enable her to come to know how colours appear to seeing persons.
How could you possible know how lemon tastes without ever having tasted lemon or something else tasting like lemon?

Your category error is pathetically obvious. You and Jackson should get a room in a tawdry motel and share your shame privately.

...and, I have no idea how you got that from what I said.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience