Electric fireplaces

I am astonished

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Electric fireplaces

#1  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2017 7:51 pm

http://www.portablefireplace.com/blog/5 ... ireplaces/

We just added it to the bucket list for the house.

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Electric fireplaces

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Your house has a bucket list? I didn't even realise they died.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby archibald » Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm

Does it play that sexy music too?
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2017 4:56 am

Likely an in app purchase :D

of course this is free and the musics not bad at all

We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 25, 2017 6:15 am

The music? "Due to the large volume of calls we are receiving this morning, there will be a short delay before your call can be answered. Your call will be answered in the order it was received; the current wait-time is ... 240 ... minutes."
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Sep 25, 2017 10:56 am

It's a cool idea, looks really good. Unfortunately, as soon as I saw what it was, it looked a lot like lighted steam instead of flame.

Now, the people with the logs on display, I'm not sure why, but I have a strong desire to use them to burn the aholes alive. Maybe it's too much Game of Thrones, maybe not.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 1:29 am

I aspire to having an actual fireplace in a future home, as much of a pain as that would be. For now I watch the video, very satisfying! Some of my relatives have electric ones which are somewhat satisfying, but there's something about it being blocked off by glass that makes it seem more like a display than a fireplace. Still, the heat is nice.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Sep 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I have an "actual fireplace", but can never use it these days, because I live in what has become a smokeles zone, and had the chimney flues sealed off when the wobbly old Victorian chimney pots were removed for safety reasons. They are massive, and would probably smash through the roof, then through the floor below, if they ever blew over in a gale). However, the fireplace itself (also Victorian) is very beautiful, with its original Victorian tiles and wrought ironwork.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Piper » Sep 26, 2017 4:54 pm

My house had a small wood cook stove in it, but I removed it, I have sensitive lungs. I did use it for a while.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby TopCat » Sep 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Ah yes, fake coal fires.

In a word: chavvy. In three words: "first world problem".

Go on, flame away (see what I did there?), but don't confuse me with someone that gives a damn.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Electric fireplaces

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Not really first world. Every one of us that is happy with the occasional fireplace display for the price of a few tens of watts of electricity instead of a proper heat sucking out of the house carbon dumping into the atmosphere pollution generator that is a proper fireplace isn't doing any of those things that fireplaces do. Everyone benefits.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 26, 2017 5:56 pm

But, I do like the heat of a coal fire.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm

DavidMcC wrote:I have an "actual fireplace", but can never use it these days, because I live in what has become a smokeles zone, and had the chimney flues sealed off when the wobbly old Victorian chimney pots were removed for safety reasons. They are massive, and would probably smash through the roof, then through the floor below, if they ever blew over in a gale). However, the fireplace itself (also Victorian) is very beautiful, with its original Victorian tiles and wrought ironwork.

That's a shame you can't use it, though I guess in terms of safety (and environment as Meta has noted) it's a good thing. Might be bad for the environment, but the smell is wonderful. I also lived in a place with a non-working fireplace but a beautiful hearth, I used to keep a stand with candles in it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby OlivierK » Sep 27, 2017 12:00 am

I think it's ironic that the source of heat for these fireplaces is the sort of halogen lightbulbs people like me are ripping out of their downlights and replacing with LEDs. We could get the same effect of warming our living room by switching between halogen bulbs in winter, and LEDs in summer :lol:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Macdoc » Sep 27, 2017 5:26 am

There is some atavistic appeal ..not to mention easy on the eyes of watching a softly crackling fire.

Especially in chilly damp climates
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby crank » Sep 27, 2017 7:11 am

Burning real logs in a fireplace doesn't really add to the carbon dioxide problem, it just goes to make the next batch of trees. That's too simplistic, but I don't think, at least here in the states, that we're over-logging when it comes to fireplace fuel. Sam Harris went on a long spiel about how unhealthy the emissions can be awhile back, though. He made it sound like sitting in front of a nice fire for a few hours was worse than smoking a pack of cigarettes. That's the impression that lingers after years since I heard him talk about it. It's really hard to beat a nice fire that you get to tend to and fuss over. maybe I'm just a pyro.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Piper » Sep 27, 2017 11:34 am

crank wrote:Burning real logs in a fireplace doesn't really add to the carbon dioxide problem, it just goes to make the next batch of trees. That's too simplistic, but I don't think, at least here in the states, that we're over-logging when it comes to fireplace fuel. Sam Harris went on a long spiel about how unhealthy the emissions can be awhile back, though. He made it sound like sitting in front of a nice fire for a few hours was worse than smoking a pack of cigarettes. That's the impression that lingers after years since I heard him talk about it. It's really hard to beat a nice fire that you get to tend to and fuss over. maybe I'm just a pyro.

Wood burns much much dirtier than home heating fuel. It is also bad for your lungs, think second hand smoke, but worse when the smoke blows towards you. Having a wood stove in the house also lets in ash and dust in very fine particles that get lodged in your lungs.
Depending on population density, topography, climatic conditions and combustion equipment used, wood heating may substantially contribute to air pollution, particularly particulates. The conditions in which wood is burnt will greatly influence the content of the emission.[citation needed] Particulate air pollution can contribute to human health problems and increased hospital admissions for asthma & heart diseases.[9]

More at wiki-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_fuel#Combustion_by-products
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby felltoearth » Sep 27, 2017 12:35 pm

A friend of mine inherited a Happy Thoughts woodstove like the one in the picture when he bought his great aunt's farm when she passed.

He had it restored and it was wonderful (he's in an old age home now.) He made apple butter and slow simmered beans. The best was roast chicken stuffed with wild garlic and leeks that we collected from the woods. Happy Thoughts indeed.

IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG (52.97 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby felltoearth » Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Piper is right though. There are issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4302729

Mile End residents raise concerns over smoke from beloved bagel bakeries

While Mile End has been a hotspot for traditional Montreal-style bagels for more than half a century, some residents are becoming concerned with the health and environmental risks associated with baking the tasty classic.
Carcinogens associated with wood smoke from shops like St-Viateur Bagel and Fairmount Bagel Bakery have become an increasing matter of public concern in recent years, said resident Sarah Gilbert.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby crank » Sep 27, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm not disputing the facts. Maybe some things are worth the risk. They were complaining about fireplace smoke in California back in the 1700s. And I just found out the Romans recorded suits involving smoke pollution. Don't listen to me, one winter I resorted to firing up the burner from a turkey fryer kit to keep my small bedroom warm enough.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.