The Design thread

The cool, the funky, the neat

Architecture, graphic design, your projects.

Moderators: Calilasseia, Blip, ADParker

Re: The Design thread

#141  Postby Alan B » Dec 29, 2016 11:32 am

Impressive. But where's 'Elf 'n Safety? Why isn't he wearing ear defenders?

And how many people have those machines put out of work?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9591
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Design thread

#142  Postby Macdoc » Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am

I gotta say that I had my doubts over the new MacBook Pros but Apple has designed a fabulous machine despite the challenges of a sea change in connectivity.

While no more powerful than the previous generation ( and bloody more expensive ) Apple raises the bar big time in design and function.

It's thinner and lighter..okay but improving the screen by 60% in colour range and brightness ( 500 nits ), incredible sound ( startling ) and truly insane flash drive speeds, better keyboard all in a stunning package was quite a feat.
Took some time to grow on me after a knee jerk reaction questioning the abrupt move to USB-C .

Here Jonny Ives outlines what has gone into the new machine ...quite a design and engineering tour de force.



Is it more functional than it's predecessor? ...perhaps down the road. Screen quality and colour tho are an ureal step up plus fit finish and elegance remind me of the Movado Museum watch.

That you can do any level of Pro media work up to 4k editing on such a thin elegant piece of industrial art is a treat - both visually and in hands on use.

Image

Hre's a reasonable summary http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/apple/re ... 16-review/

Yeah a Timex tells time just fine ....I'd rather have my Movado.
Image

The new MacBook Pro's are a delight for photographers with the exceptional screen quality and for anyone that appreciates industrial design.
The price is daunting even for me being in the industry but the allure of the screen, sound and drive has gotten to me. :whine:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 15679
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#143  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 12:07 pm

That of course IYOO.

There plenty of critics. One is conductivity as you must carry a load of adapters with you. It is not a powerful machine but of course all those that cant see past the Apple logo there is not point of having a discussion.

A way over the top price for something not very good but that of course is just Apple. Where are those parts made again?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#144  Postby Macdoc » Dec 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Sure Scott.....you are really knowledgeable on the subject :roll: USB-C is coming....deal with it. Processors are stalled across the board until Intel gets its act together with Kaby Lake which brings a whole lot of tech via USB-C into play.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... te-1325782.
The screen is state of the art as is the flash drive speed and it's fucking expensive.
If you can't afford it.....too bad... you've never seen one, handled one or used one....I have - so exactly where is your "wisdom" on the matter coming from ???? dyspepsia no doubt. :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 15679
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#145  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 4:15 pm

Scot is happy with his 17 lb. behemoth desktop laptop.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#146  Postby Alan B » Dec 29, 2016 4:52 pm

Don't tell 'em, Scot. It's only 15lbs (6.8058kg) :snooty: :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9591
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#147  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Alan B wrote:Don't tell 'em, Scot. It's only 15lbs (6.8058kg) :snooty: :shifty:

That's Canadian lbs. Sorry.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Design thread

#148  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 4:56 pm

felltoearth wrote:Scot is happy with his 17 lb. behemoth desktop laptop.


Very happy and I dont have to carry it so lightness is not important but performance is. Something foreign to Apple.
I can hitch it up to a 4k screen if required to look at pretty pictures.

Thanks Alan. It is no featherweight but a great gaming machine.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#149  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 4:57 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Alan B wrote:Don't tell 'em, Scot. It's only 15lbs (6.8058kg) :snooty: :shifty:

That's Canadian lbs. Sorry.


Which why I stick to kilo's.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#150  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

You do understand that the majority of laptop users do have to carry their's around and that's why they pay premium for lightness and solid build.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#151  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Alan B wrote:Don't tell 'em, Scot. It's only 15lbs (6.8058kg) :snooty: :shifty:

That's Canadian lbs. Sorry.


Which why I stick to kilo's.


You really think there's such a thing as Canadian lbs?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#152  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 5:06 pm

felltoearth wrote:You do understand that the majority of laptop users do have to carry their's around and that's why they pay premium for lightness and solid build.


Plenty people use laptops at home due to the lack of extra wiring. Desktops can be a mess of wiring as was my last desktop which also was always open. I now have two laptops next to each other with minimal wiring.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#153  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 5:08 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:You do understand that the majority of laptop users do have to carry their's around and that's why they pay premium for lightness and solid build.


Plenty people use laptops at home due to the lack of extra wiring. Desktops can be a mess of wiring as was my last desktop which also was always open. I now have two laptops next to each other with minimal wiring.


Reread what you quoted and your response and think about whether what you wrote actually refutes or even responds to my point.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#154  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 5:09 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Alan B wrote:Don't tell 'em, Scot. It's only 15lbs (6.8058kg) :snooty: :shifty:

That's Canadian lbs. Sorry.


Which why I stick to kilo's.


You really think there's such a thing as Canadian lbs?


Nothing surprises me. In Dutch we have pounds and ounces. 500 gram and 100 gram. We have inches and yards as well.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#155  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 5:10 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
felltoearth wrote:You do understand that the majority of laptop users do have to carry their's around and that's why they pay premium for lightness and solid build.


Plenty people use laptops at home due to the lack of extra wiring. Desktops can be a mess of wiring as was my last desktop which also was always open. I now have two laptops next to each other with minimal wiring.


Reread what you quoted and your response and think about whether what you wrote actually refutes or even responds to my point.


It does not refute your point just adding another reason to buy a laptop.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43008
Age: 70
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Design thread

#156  Postby felltoearth » Dec 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh, so you do understand that there a many reasons for buying a laptop – that size, weight and build quality might be considerations – and that people will pay a premium for that.

Good, because otherwise I would think you're just trolling.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#157  Postby tuco » Jan 05, 2017 8:04 pm

http://www.kodasema.com/en/

Movable home options have expanded far beyond RVs and renovated buses. For those with a penchant for modern minimalism and endless travel, Estonian design collective Kodasema created KODA, a tiny prefabricated home that can move with its homeowners. The movable home prototype is designed with off-grid capabilities and can be disassembled and prepped for relocation in as little as four hours.


http://inhabitat.com/koda-is-a-tiny-sol ... ts-owners/
tuco
 
Posts: 15246

Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#158  Postby Alan B » Jan 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Interesting design. But only 'off-grid' for short amounts of (unspecified) time.
Solar powered - what storage system does it use.

Can be moved with it's home owners - as long as there are are utilities (fresh water, electricity & waste disposal) available at it's destined site.
The advertising blurb with it sat in the middle of a 'forest' (with obvious limited utilities) is a bit 'populist' in it's approach and not very practical.

Sewage disposal could be a real problem 'off-grid'. I suppose one could dig a hole in the woods...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9591
Age: 83
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Design thread

#159  Postby Macdoc » Jan 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Wow .....some seriously neat buildings - lots here

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/01/architect ... _expansion

Toronto needs some thought on our grain silos

Image

and the Lego House in Bilund is awesome

Image
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 15679
Age: 71
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

The Design thread

#160  Postby felltoearth » Jan 08, 2017 2:42 pm

Grain Silo. Singular. Only one left.

ETA - BIG is designing a condo near King and Bathurst.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 11600
Age: 52

Canada (ca)
 
Birthday
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Design and Engineering.

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest