Best sci-fi ships?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Best sci-fi ships?

#101  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 04, 2010 11:32 pm

Ubjon wrote:I only play Eve Online now and with the exception of ships designed for hauling stuff and mining they are all warships of one sort or another and are recognisable as such. Personally I find it a somewhat inescapable fact of sci fi that most ships need to have some kind of offensive capacity as most the environments the stories play out in are hostile and it must be apparant that they have weaponary.

In the Culture books by Iain M Banks even the peaceful Mind ships have impressive weaponary.

As far as I'm aware the only unarmed ship in sci-fi is Serenity. And even then they stuck a gun on the top in the movie.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Eryemil » Jul 04, 2010 11:43 pm

MacIver wrote:
Ubjon wrote:I only play Eve Online now and with the exception of ships designed for hauling stuff and mining they are all warships of one sort or another and are recognisable as such. Personally I find it a somewhat inescapable fact of sci fi that most ships need to have some kind of offensive capacity as most the environments the stories play out in are hostile and it must be apparant that they have weaponary.

In the Culture books by Iain M Banks even the peaceful Mind ships have impressive weaponary.

As far as I'm aware the only unarmed ship in sci-fi is Serenity. And even then they stuck a gun on the top in the movie.

Moya from Farscape does not have any weapons, unlike her son.
Eryemil

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Ubjon » Jul 04, 2010 11:43 pm

MacIver wrote:

Awesome movie

I can think of a few unarmed ships

Event Horizon

The Icarus

Rockhopper

Starbug
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jul 05, 2010 7:16 pm

I know we've had the White Star already, but here's some more pics of it, just because it's so damned sexy :mrgreen:

Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Kytescall » Jul 06, 2010 2:40 am

Ubjon wrote:
Eryemil wrote:Why are the human ships in sci-fi always so clunky and boring? I guess they do it to make the alien ones appear more different but it makes me apathetic to the human factions.

I think the functional design is more realistic.

Not if they're the flying-brick "frigates in space" designs, they're not.

I do agree with Eryemil that human ships in sci-fi should depart from that. They have the benefit of looking like they can take a fair bit of punishment, but there's no reason why they should keep coming back to that same basic design. And since stealth is not possible in space, I see no reason why they should always be gray.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Jul 06, 2010 2:51 am

Kytescall wrote:I'd almost forgotten...

The Starfury fighters from Babylon 5:

Originally I thought it was just an X-Wing/TIE fighter cross, but it is easily the coolest and most intelligently designed starfighter in science fiction. For once it actually looks as though it is designed to operate in zero-g. I personally look at it more as an MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit - pictured below) with guns and bigger thrusters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfury

it is possibly the only well thought out scifi ship out there. so much so that...
Around 1995 ("two years into the show") NASA expressed an interest in the design as a work vessel for the International Space Station. They apparently consider the design to "make the most sense" for zero-g work due to the thruster and wing setup. They approached the shows co-executive producer (J. Michael Straczynski) for permission to use the design, which was given provided the Star Fury name was not altered.[8]

as for those who mentioned EVE Online, how'd you put up with the ludicrous fees (WOW costs £7.99 in 6mo deal Eve is £9.06 (which is also about £2 more than the US version...)
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Print view this post

#107  Postby felltoearth » Jul 06, 2010 3:04 am

MacIver wrote:Sunshine was almost the perfect sci-fi movie (and the Icaruses were a great design!).

The only thing that let it down was the ending (meh) and the fact they never even tried to explain how artificial gravity worked.

But considering it was Danny Boyle's first sci-fi movie....pretty damn good.

Great movie though I agree about the ending. Upped the cheese-o-meter.

How about the starship Yamoto? I loved Star Blazers when I was a kid. A live action version is about to be released.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Kytescall » Jul 06, 2010 3:10 am

felltoearth wrote:
MacIver wrote:Sunshine was almost the perfect sci-fi movie (and the Icaruses were a great design!).

The only thing that let it down was the ending (meh) and the fact they never even tried to explain how artificial gravity worked.

How about the starship Yamoto? I loved Star Blazers when I was a kid. A live action version is about to be released.

I think I must have violated some law for never having seen Yamato despite being Japanese (the ship design doesn't appeal to me).

Based on what I know of it, though, is it just me or is there some similarities between Yamato and the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade?
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby Mike_L » Jul 06, 2010 7:49 am

Some more from the late '70s / early '80s....

Starfighter from 'Buck Rogers'....

And video:
....in action in the opening sequence (with some nice orchestral music).
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Joe09 » Jul 06, 2010 11:10 am

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:

as for those who mentioned EVE Online, how'd you put up with the ludicrous fees (WOW costs £7.99 in 6mo deal Eve is £9.06 (which is also about £2 more than the US version...)

i pay 3-monthly at 38.85euros or about £10.70 a month

how is that ludacris? hell im a student and thats affordable lol
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby pennypitstop » Jul 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Joe09 wrote:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:

WoW has a spaceship, The Exodar. It's crap though, it crashed.
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." Albert Einstein
pennypitstop

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby CookieJon » Jul 06, 2010 1:31 pm

felltoearth wrote:

Was it good? I haven't seen it in a while, but I seem to remember it was just "zombies in space" (albeit in a cool setting with the sun-thing and all)

Reminded me of the movie Event Horizon - started well, looked fantastic but degenerated into a mess.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#113  Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Jul 07, 2010 1:00 am

Joe09 wrote:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:

because I wouldn't have any time to do uni coursework trying to get my moneys worth out of that. what gets me is you have to buy the game as well as pay subscription fees.

half considering guild wars, as thats fee free.
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Print view this post

#114  Postby Kytescall » Jul 07, 2010 2:17 am

Ubjon wrote:Image
Rockhopper

I loved that book. Although the Rockhopper itself wasn't particularly impressive, it had the advantage (in terms of realism and believablity) of having a clearly defined function, which I think most sci-fi ships don't.

Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#115  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2010 2:47 am

Kytescall wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

I think I must have violated some law for never having seen Yamato despite being Japanese (the ship design doesn't appeal to me).

Based on what I know of it, though, is it just me or is there some similarities between Yamato and the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade?

Sorry not familiar. :ask:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#116  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2010 2:50 am

CookieJon wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Was it good? I haven't seen it in a while, but I seem to remember it was just "zombies in space" (albeit in a cool setting with the sun-thing and all)

Reminded me of the movie Event Horizon - started well, looked fantastic but degenerated into a mess.

I guess Iit could be considered a Zombie movie. There are environmental themes of course. I did like the representation of space/time under increased gravity at the end. I thought that was very well done. :thumbup:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#117  Postby HughMcB » Jul 08, 2010 5:32 am

FTW!

Although that might be just because of my avatar. :grin:

Or how about these?

felltoearth wrote:How about the starship Yamoto? I loved Star Blazers when I was a kid. A live action version is about to be released.

Slighty better one...
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jul 08, 2010 6:41 am

Kytescall wrote:...Based on what I know of it, though, is it just me or is there some similarities between Yamato and the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade?

How can we know what Crusade was going to turn out to be 'similar' to? They cancelled it too damned early for us to find out! :lay:
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Joe09 » Jul 08, 2010 8:05 am

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:
Joe09 wrote:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:

because I wouldn't have any time to do uni coursework trying to get my moneys worth out of that. what gets me is you have to buy the game as well as pay subscription fees.

half considering guild wars, as thats fee free.

pff i was talking about EVE, WoW is for kiddies :dance:

EVE only has subscription fee, the client and eveyr expansion is free. Also skills are time-based, so unlike WoW where you have to play (and ultmately grind) to get a better character in EVE you inject a skillbook and then wait out the time for it to complete.

Im currently training FoF Missiles IV which completes in 7hrs, 16minutes
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Joe09 » Jul 08, 2010 8:07 am

HughMcB wrote:
Slighty better one...

Im sorry but what kind of idiot thinks a ww2-style WATER ship hull would be good in space?
Joe09

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment