What's the last film you watched?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched?

#841  Postby br0k3nglass » May 01, 2010 5:35 am

The City of the Dead. Starring a younger Christopher Lee, who does a fair American accent:
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#842  Postby Lizard_King » May 01, 2010 6:47 pm

For me it was "Clash of the Titans", in pseudo-3D. Not worth the money. Nice effects, but no real 3D (far from Avatar or Alice), and to many crappy "Disney-Moments". Plus really bad dialog, actors who didn't really give it their best, and a storyline that was boring at best. And there wasn't even enough action to satisfy me...
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#843  Postby Agrippina » May 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Lizard_King wrote:For me it was "Clash of the Titans", in pseudo-3D. Not worth the money. Nice effects, but no real 3D (far from Avatar or Alice), and to many crappy "Disney-Moments". Plus really bad dialog, actors who didn't really give it their best, and a storyline that was boring at best. And there wasn't even enough action to satisfy me...

I agree. I saw it last week and I felt the same, it was definitely not worth the paying the extra for 3D. We keep seeing the Shred advert, now that looks real. And the storyline was silly. Those scorpions walking through the desert, they could've moved faster on foot. The bit with Medusa's head at the end, it was like an afterthought "of yes, I forgot the head." :lol:

What's the next best thing coming to the movies, Ironman2 I hear is not that great.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#844  Postby natselrox » May 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Agrippina wrote:
What's the next best thing coming to the movies, Ironman2 I hear is not that great.

Inception. And for us, there are two big films coming this summer, Kites and Raavan!
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#845  Postby Agrippina » May 01, 2010 6:58 pm

natselrox wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Inception. And for us, there are two big films coming this summer, Kites and Raavan!

It sounds like Minority Report and Vanilla Sky.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#846  Postby Mycernius » May 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Iron Man 2 wasn't too bad. It was typical of the vacuous, special effects laden tat that Holly wood thinks makes a good film, but it was a good piece of vacuous tat. Stilted in parts and most of the characters are two dimensional, but Robert Downey Jr. brings an enjoyment to the film a lifts it from The Clash of the Titans pit of dismal crap.
Mycernius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#847  Postby Lizard_King » May 01, 2010 8:08 pm

What's the next best thing coming to the movies,

How about Robin Hood? Looks freaking amazing so far, plus it's directed by Ridley Scott, and features Russel Crowe. Talk about "Gladiator" in a different setting (which would be totally fine, imo).

Oh, and "The expendables". Sounds just like the craziest, drunkest film ever, but with so many... let's say... "great" actors, it just has to be good. (Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Willis, Schwarzenegger...) And for some reasons there seem to be some pirates involved, says imdb. Well, that's always a good thing, I guess..
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#848  Postby dalv8409 » May 01, 2010 8:30 pm

I seen 'Iron Man 2' today. Really good film I thought, good effects, good acting by the cast plus Scarlett Johansson looked hot in that 'Black Widow' outfit (that Ryan Reynolds is one lucky bastard :lol: ). I saw 'Clash of the Titans' two week ago and I enjoyed that film as well, sure the script was dodgy along with the acting but the effects was good, not to mention that it is getting a sequel so I guess there is lots of people who like it just most don't have the guts to admit it.
But hey every film (even the ones that many people think are crap) has a fan base since there is no film that everyone loves and there is no film that everyone hates. The thing is with me when it comes to films is that I never let trailers fool me even if it is a film I want to see so I never have high hopes for a film which in turn I enjoy the film . Also I never compare sequels, prequels, spin offs, remakes, reboots as well so if I was a movie critic I may be the only to do that I think.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#849  Postby reddix » May 02, 2010 2:20 am

I watched The Emperor's New Groove with my kids.

reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#850  Postby Kytescall » May 02, 2010 2:50 am

dalv8409 wrote:I seen 'Iron Man 2' today. Really good film I thought, good effects, good acting by the cast plus Scarlett Johansson looked hot in that 'Black Widow' outfit (that Ryan Reynolds is one lucky bastard :lol: ).

I thought Johansson's character was rather pointless. Her fight scene would have been good if the framerate wasn't complete shit.

And how do you pronounce her name anyway? I always assumed the 'J' made a 'Y' sound but everyone seems to pronounce it the way it's spelled.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#851  Postby j.mills » May 02, 2010 3:02 am

I'm with you: YO-hanssen.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#852  Postby Nautilidae » May 02, 2010 3:27 am

Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#853  Postby mmmcheezy » May 02, 2010 3:28 am

:yuk:
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#854  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 02, 2010 3:29 am

I love that movie. Sure, it's a cheesy romantic comedy, but it doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

I also like how the geek gets the girl.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#855  Postby br0k3nglass » May 02, 2010 5:30 am

Vivre Sa Vie. It is impossible to say enough good things about this film. Plus, I still have that damned song from the dancing scene stuck in my head.

Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#856  Postby Timinane » May 02, 2010 5:40 am

I last watched Iron Man 2.

The only thing I am allowed to say about it is, I'm Tony Stark and my ego only just leaves room for the cinema patrons.
Also Samuel L Jackson with an eye patch... People probably already know the appropriate memetic response.
"With that speed of backtrack he shouldn't be in the CofE, he should be in the Lib Dems" Ian Hislop
Timinane

Name: Timothy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#857  Postby amyonyango » May 02, 2010 7:15 am

We watched Avatar last night. Amazing! The storyline's typical hollywood, but the graphics and the details are mind blowing! I want to watch it again already!
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
amyonyango
RS Donator

Name: Amy
Female

England (eng)
Print view this post

#858  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 02, 2010 7:33 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I love that movie. Sure, it's a cheesy romantic comedy, but it doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

I also like how the geek gets the girl.

Lol, I love how you cover the spoiler, as if anyone couldn't work that out just by looking at the cover. :grin:
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#859  Postby Lizard_King » May 02, 2010 9:45 am

Wait a minute, that's the guy from "That 70's Show". I didn't know he was still around. Last time I saw him, he was killed by Spiderman.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#860  Postby Mazille » May 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Lizard_King wrote:
What's the next best thing coming to the movies,

How about Robin Hood? Looks freaking amazing so far, plus it's directed by Ridley Scott, and features Russel Crowe. Talk about "Gladiator" in a different setting (which would be totally fine, imo).

Oh, and "The expendables". Sounds just like the craziest, drunkest film ever, but with so many... let's say... "great" actors, it just has to be good. (Stallone, Statham, Li, Lundgren, Willis, Schwarzenegger...) And for some reasons there seem to be some pirates involved, says imdb. Well, that's always a good thing, I guess..

Soo looking forward to that.

Swords, bows and Russel Crowe. It's bound to be a good popcorn movie, really.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment