What's the last film you watched?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched?

#861  Postby natselrox » May 02, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:I love that movie. Sure, it's a cheesy romantic comedy, but it doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

I also like how the geek gets the girl.

Lol, I love how you cover the spoiler, as if anyone couldn't work that out just by looking at the cover. :grin:

:rofl:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#862  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:I love that movie. Sure, it's a cheesy romantic comedy, but it doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

I also like how the geek gets the girl.

Lol, I love how you cover the spoiler, as if anyone couldn't work that out just by looking at the cover. :grin:

Well, a mod got on my case once for mentioning a part of a film, and what I said didn't give away any plot points... So, I make sure I won't get bitched out again. :nono:

The mods can be really anal here (and previously on RDF) sometimes.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#863  Postby j.mills » May 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Mods!! Mods!! He called you "anal"!! :o
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#864  Postby crank » May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Had high hopes since from same writers as Sexy Beast, but it was to claustrophobic, too psychological for my tastes, at least Ian McShane didn't get butt-fucked in this one, though he still played a poofter :shock: Sorry, in my view he makes for a slimy, rather unpleasant gay :yuk:
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#865  Postby Agrippina » May 02, 2010 6:57 pm

crank wrote:Image

Had high hopes since from same writers as Sexy Beast, but it was to claustrophobic, too psychological for my tastes, at least Ian McShane didn't get butt-fucked in this one, though he still played a poofter :shock: Sorry, in my view he makes for a slimy, rather unpleasant gay :yuk:

I've always thought he was slimy and unpleasant anyway. Wasn't he Suellen's last lover in Dallas?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#866  Postby walkingthedeadline » May 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Paper Heart: Hm, it was very interesting and lovely to hear/see people talking about their idea of love, but the fake relationship between Charlyne Yi and Michael Cera (wtf?) killed the whole movie.

Malice In Wonderland: I loved it! A very nice adaptation of "Alice In Wonderland".
walkingthedeadline

Print view this post

#867  Postby Shrunk » May 02, 2010 8:05 pm

For the family "Classics of the Cinema" night.

Dr. Strangelove

"You can't fight in here. This is the war room!" :lol:

Satire, of course, is the form of comedy most vulnerable to becoming dated. Fortunately, this one still seems timely and relevant. Or, perhaps I should say "unfortunately."

For me and Mrs. Shrunk:

Julie and Julia

Are we allowed to post films here that we don't finish watching? Julia Child is a bit of a hero of mine, and though I am not convinced there was as little difference between her private and public personae as depicted here, Streep absolutely nails her.

However, the modern day parallel plot, which seems to take up most of the movie, is so excruciatingly boring I wanted to gouge my eyes out. We decided it would be better to just turn the DVD off.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#868  Postby crank » May 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Shrunk wrote:For the family "Classics of the Cinema" night.

Dr. Strangelove

"You can't fight in here. This is the war room!" :lol:

Satire, of course, is the form of comedy most vulnerable to becoming dated. Fortunately, this one still seems timely and relevant. Or, perhaps I should say "unfortunately."

I saw that a few weeks back, I said something similar--it holds up incredibly well, I hadn't seen in 20 years or so, still devastatingly funny. And I changed my sig to your quote above for a while. :grin:
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#869  Postby Alnilam » May 02, 2010 10:57 pm

I like it! Leave me alone! I hate you!

angelo wrote:The words of Enoch Powell will come to haunt Western society.

:insane:
Alnilam
RS Donator

Print view this post

#870  Postby Gawdzilla » May 02, 2010 10:59 pm

"Pontypool". Mega WTF.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#871  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 02, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm not too keen on Peter Sellers. I would've liked Dr. Strangelove much more if he wasn't a part of it.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#872  Postby Paul G » May 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Avatar and it was seven kinds of awesome.

Lousy script though.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#873  Postby crank » May 03, 2010 7:48 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I'm not too keen on Peter Sellers. I would've liked Dr. Strangelove much more if he wasn't a part of it.

Uh, OK, remove 3 of the main characters, including the title character, and it would have been fine. You funny,Mac, very funny. Frost/Nixon would have been a lot better if they had kept Nixon and Frost out of it.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#874  Postby Kytescall » May 03, 2010 7:52 am

crank wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:I'm not too keen on Peter Sellers. I would've liked Dr. Strangelove much more if he wasn't a part of it.

Uh, OK, remove 3 of the main characters, including the title character, and it would have been fine. You funny,Mac, very funny. Frost/Nixon would have been a lot better if they had kept Nixon and Frost out of it.

That reminds me of that Nixon movie starring Anthony Hopkins. My mother said the only reason that movie was watchable was because Hopkins doesn't look even remotely like him.

I just thought it was way too long.
... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. ~ H.P. Lovecraft, Ex Oblivione

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kytescall

Male

Print view this post

#875  Postby br0k3nglass » May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

I had high expectations for Laura, but I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be. Still a great film noir though.
Isn't life a hundred times too short to live it - in a state of boredom?
- Friedrich Nietzsche
br0k3nglass
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#876  Postby Animavore » May 03, 2010 1:25 pm

:shock: I don't think I'll be forgetting this film. EVER. This film is one of the most deliciously evil films I've seen in a while. Not as gruesome as it seems on paper. I couldn't stop laughing to be honest.

That's my evil quota for the full year.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#877  Postby Agrippina » May 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I happened to watch this one this morning. It's about child abuse at a Catholic School. A bit ho hum!
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#878  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 03, 2010 4:27 pm

crank wrote:

There's a world of difference between replacing an actor and getting rid of a character. :coffee:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#879  Postby crank » May 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:
crank wrote:

There's a world of difference between replacing an actor and getting rid of a character. :coffee:

There is a world of difference between replacing an actor, and replacing Sellers. He is just in a class by himself, i am sorry you don't appreciate his genius, but many many do. :banana: :nanana:
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#880  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2010 5:04 pm

crank wrote:
There is a world of difference between replacing an actor, and replacing Sellers. He is just in a class by himself, i am sorry you don't appreciate his genius, but many many do. :banana: :nanana:

I'd have to agree. Strangelove just requires a funny accent, so anyone could play him. But I can't imagine anyone doing a better job as Lionel Mandrake or President Merkin Muffley. The phone conversation witht the Russian premier is comedy gold.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment