NASA's next big announcement coming up!

"will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life"

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: NASA's next big announcement coming up!

#81  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 04, 2010 11:44 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Gizmodo?!, did someone quote fucking Gizmodo which asserts that a bog standard proteobacterium that can use arsenic instead of phosphorus if the former is present in extremely high concentrations is a "completely different" form of life?

Grrrrrrrrrr.

PS - Science is offline for maintenance but the paper itself will provide a better perspective, I will be back to post the abstract at least later.

Already posted the abstract about 2 pages ago. :)

Mind you, I suspect a few people here will be happy if you can get copies of the full paper ... including me ... :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Arsenic-munching germ redefines "life as we know it"

#82  Postby Reuven_M » Dec 05, 2010 1:55 am

Calilasseia wrote:From the actual paper ...

Life is mostly composed of the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, and phosphorus. Although these six elements make up nucleic acids, proteins, and lipids and thus the bulk of living matter, it is theoretically possible that some other elements in the periodic table could serve the same functions. Here, we describe a bacterium, strain GFAJ-1 of the Halomonadaceae, isolated from Mono Lake, California, which substitutes arsenic for phosphorus to sustain its growth. Our data show evidence for arsenate in macromolecules that normally contain phosphate, most notably nucleic acids and proteins. Exchange of one of the major bioelements may have profound evolutionary and geochemical significance.

I'm confused, I thought proteins don't contain phosphate?
Reuven :thumbup:
Reuven_M

Name: Reuven M
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#83  Postby GenesForLife » Dec 05, 2010 6:49 am

Phosphoproteins, phospholipids, phosphorylated carbohydrates.

Not an integral part of any of the above three, but conjugation can happen.

:cheers:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby my_wan » Dec 05, 2010 7:06 am

Calilasseia wrote:
GenesForLife wrote:Gizmodo?!, did someone quote fucking Gizmodo which asserts that a bog standard proteobacterium that can use arsenic instead of phosphorus if the former is present in extremely high concentrations is a "completely different" form of life?

Grrrrrrrrrr.

PS - Science is offline for maintenance but the paper itself will provide a better perspective, I will be back to post the abstract at least later.

Already posted the abstract about 2 pages ago. :)

Mind you, I suspect a few people here will be happy if you can get copies of the full paper ... including me ... :mrgreen:

I got the paper here: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/a-bacterium-that-can-grow-by-using-arsenic-instead-of-phosphorus
my_wan

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby trubble76 » Dec 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Some scientists have attacked the procedures used, thereby questioning the conclusions of the study.

Norman Pace a microbiologist at the University of Colorado was scathing. 'Low levels of phosphate in growth media, naive investigators and bad reviewers are the stories here', he said.

Professor Redfield wrote in her blog: ‘Lots of flim-flam, but very little reliable information. The mass spec measurements may be very well done (I lack expertise here), but their value is severely compromised by the poor quality of the inputs.

‘If this data was presented by a PhD student at their committee meeting, I'd send them back to the bench to do more cleanup and controls.

'There's a difference between controls done to genuinely test your hypothesis and those done when you just want to show that your hypothesis is true. The authors have done some of the latter, but not the former.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z17WLxQLYK

Do they have a point, or are they pissing in the wind?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Someone » Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Shoddy and dishonest work in controversial subject areas is not new to science. Based on this addition to my own knowledge I'm pretty much 49/51 in favor of the position that the work is extremely flawed, perhaps so much so that the basic conclusion is false. Even though the article is in a highly prestigious journal with a large number of co-authors with good reputations, it seemed that the work was almost entirely done by the lead author; so it's not at all inconceivable that she just managed to engender the undeserved trust of those others who signed onto the work. That much said, the criticisms might be more flawed than the work. I haven't yet read the main article myself, so to the extent that I might be able to make a firmer judgment I haven't done so.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#88  Postby DoctorE » Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWAYBgl69gw[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Someone » Dec 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Yeah, what he said!
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Biological Sciences