NASA's next big announcement coming up!

"will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life"

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: NASA's next big announcement coming up!

#21  Postby wufwugy » Dec 01, 2010 1:20 am

Whatever it is, I'm sure god put it there to test your faith
wufwugy

Print view this post

#22  Postby tnjrp » Dec 01, 2010 8:01 am

Well, it's not as if NASA is even hinting to having evidence of ET life... See for ex. here for a fairly good analysis of what the press release tells us:
http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... onference/

EDIT: here's some speculation that the NASA announcement might have to do with evidence of a "shadow biosphere" on Earth:
http://www.gearfuse.com/nasa-and-the-en ... rial-life/

If so, it's certainly pants-wetting enough :excited:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#23  Postby C. Cochran » Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I saw something about Enceladus earlier today. Not sure if it was before friday or not.
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
- Albert Einstein
C. Cochran

Name: Caleb Cochran
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby trubble76 » Dec 01, 2010 4:56 pm

wufwugy wrote:Whatever it is, I'm sure god put it there to test your faith

In that case, they must have found my faith too. I hope they have fun testing it.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby b00rek » Dec 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Some of the guys that are going to speak on this press conference seem to be working on arsen and the way that some bacteria uses it instead of phosphorus, so I think it will go in that way. There are also no guys that work on deep space spectography or someone from Cassini or Mars team. Sorry for martian english though ^^
b00rek

Croatia (hr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Denny » Dec 01, 2010 6:10 pm

*claps hands* HURR HURR HURR
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby borealis » Dec 01, 2010 6:14 pm

"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
Oscar Wilde
borealis

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Rumraket » Dec 01, 2010 6:16 pm

b00rek wrote:Some of the guys that are going to speak on this press conference seem to be working on arsen and the way that some bacteria uses it instead of phosphorus, so I think it will go in that way. There are also no guys that work on deep space spectography or someone from Cassini or Mars team. Sorry for martian english though ^^

A question immediately on my mind is if the incorporation of arsen in the backbone of the genetic material is an evolutionary adaptation that fits within the known tree of life(or perhaps an earlier stage from which phosphorous is the adaptation instead), or really is the result of a seperate origin event?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#29  Postby Denny » Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

borealis wrote:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3253913/NASA-researchers-find-life-in-poisonous-arsenic-lake-in-USA.html

Whoa!!! HURR HURR HURR! :rickroll:
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Rumraket » Dec 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Additionally, do RNA retain it's catalytic and enzymatic capabilities with an arsendiester backbone? lol
FFFffuuuu... get me some reading stuff lol. Go do SIENZ!
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#31  Postby katja z » Dec 01, 2010 6:38 pm

:coffee:

:excited:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Jain » Dec 02, 2010 1:05 pm

It's very exciting! I hope its amazing and brilliant!
My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby twistor59 » Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm

LOL that our best reference at the moment is The Sun !!
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby LIFE » Dec 02, 2010 1:32 pm

Details Leaking About NASA Statement
NASA’s highly anticipated press conference at 2 p.m. today may settle the question about the possibility of life existing without water or oxygen –on Earth or somewhere else.

A press release on the event, which will be shown on NASA TV, NASA.gov and probably a few cable news network, was picked up by a few science experts on the Internet, and the buzz has grown greatly in the past two days.

Pushing the buzz are the resumes of the five guest experts who will present at the event. Their research will also appear in Science magazine after the 2 p.m. media boycott.

One writer who claims to have peer-reviewed the research says the group won’t be talking about little green men.

But the consensus is the team will talk about evidence – theoretical or physical – that life can, or has, existed in conditions we have previously considered impossible.[...]

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/loc ... -statement
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#35  Postby DoctorE » Dec 02, 2010 3:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G23-1u5fHBA[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#36  Postby DoctorE » Dec 02, 2010 7:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObkqIMPmaJw[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Tbickle » Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Arsenic-munching germ redefines "life as we know it"

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A strange, salty lake in California has yielded an equally strange bacterium that thrives on arsenic and redefines life as we know it, researchers reported Thursday.

The bacteria do not merely eat arsenic -- they incorporate the toxic element directly into their DNA, the researchers said.

The finding shows just how little scientists know about the variety of life forms on Earth, and may greatly expand where they should be looking for life on other planets and moons, the NASA-funded team said.

"Life as we know it requires particular chemical elements and excludes others," Ariel Anbar of Arizona State University said in a statement.

"But are those the only options? How different could life be?"

The study, published in the journal Science, demonstrates that one of the most notorious poisons on Earth can also be the very stuff of life for some creatures.

Anbar, Felisa Wolfe-Simon of the NASA Astrobiology Institute and colleagues found the strain of Halomonadaceae in California's Mono Lake, formed in a volcanic region and very dense in minerals, including arsenic.

The lake is teeming with life, but not fish. It also contains the bacteria.

"Life is mostly composed of the elements carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur and phosphorus," the researchers write in Science.

These six elements make up the nucleic acids -- the A, C, T and G of DNA -- as well as proteins and lipids. But there is no reason in theory why other elements should not be used. It is just that science never found anything alive that used them.

The researchers grew microbes from the lake in water loaded with arsenic, and only containing a little bit of phosphorus.

The GFAJ-1 strain of the Halomonadaceae grew when arsenic was in the water and when phosphorus was in the water, but not when both were taken away.

"This organism has dual capability," Paul Davies of NASA and Arizona State said in a statement.

"It can grow with either phosphorous or arsenic. That makes it very peculiar, though it falls short of being some form of truly 'alien' life belonging to a different tree of life with a separate origin."

But it does suggest that astrobiologists looking for life on other planets do not need to look only for planets with the same balance of elements as Earth has.

"Our findings are a reminder that life-as-we-know-it could be much more flexible than we generally assume or can imagine," said Wolfe-Simon.

"If something here on Earth can do something so unexpected, what else can life do that we haven't seen yet? Now is the time to find out."

(Reporting by Maggie Fox, editing by Philip Barbara)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101202/sc_ ... c_bacteria
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Jain » Dec 02, 2010 7:29 pm

My Blog- http://lucyjain.wordpress.com/

When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion. Then I go out and paint the stars. Vincent Van Gogh
Jain
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Arsenic-munching germ redefines "life as we know it"

#39  Postby MattHunX » Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101202/sc_nm/us_arsenic_bacteria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A strange, salty lake in California has yielded an equally strange bacterium that thrives on arsenic and redefines life as we know it, researchers reported Thursday.

The bacteria do not merely eat arsenic -- they incorporate the toxic element directly into their DNA, the researchers said.

The finding shows just how little scientists know about the variety of life forms on Earth, and may greatly expand where they should be looking for life on other planets and moons, the NASA-funded team said.

"Life as we know it requires particular chemical elements and excludes others," Ariel Anbar of Arizona State University said in a statement.

"But are those the only options? How different could life be?"

The study, published in the journal Science, demonstrates that one of the most notorious poisons on Earth can also be the very stuff of life for some creatures.

Anbar, Felisa Wolfe-Simon of the NASA Astrobiology Institute and colleagues found the strain of Halomonadaceae in California's Mono Lake, formed in a volcanic region and very dense in minerals, including arsenic.

The lake is teeming with life, but not fish. It also contains the bacteria.

[CONTINUE]...
MattHunX

Print view this post

#40  Postby Macros1980 » Dec 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Just watched the press conference. It sounds pretty exciting. Basically, based upon the evidence found in this research, the scope for finding extra-terrestrial life just got quite a bit bigger!

Some of the journalists who asked questions of the panel seemed pretty disguntled that the scientists didn't have ET up there on stage with them! One guy's question basically ammounted to "What do you have to say to all the people who thought you'd found an alien?" :doh:
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Biological Sciences