Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Quantified Consciousness - Michio Kaku

#681  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 12:53 pm

GrahamH wrote:
kennyc wrote:
GrahamH wrote:...

Me and Graziano think the machine attributes semantic to things (people, objects, self), and behaves accordingly (moving, sensing, making language etc). No special sauce. No panpsychism, no woo-physics.

No you still don't understand what Graziano is saying. His work and that of Tononi, Koch, and the direction Michio is talking about all fit together as well as fitting the evolutionary framework and its requirements.

And none of it has anything (other than being an artifact) to do with 'subjective experience of shit' which is literally philosophical bullshit.

Bravo Kenny, for basically repeating back to me what I just stated (and ignoring the further bit you don't like).......

Ah yes, the 'further bit' - the bullshit that has no science behind it.

:whistle:

Let me say again, there is no Hard Problem, there are not p-zombies, it's all figments of philosophical bullshit.

Graziano's approach eliminates Chalmers idiotic hard problem. This is what you refuse to accept due to your biased view.

Graziano says:
....Lately, the problem of consciousness has begun to catch on in neuroscience. How does a brain generate consciousness? In the computer age, it is not hard to imagine how a computing machine might construct, store and spit out the information that ‘I am alive, I am a person, I have memories, the wind is cold, the grass is green,’ and so on. But how does a brain become aware of those propositions? The philosopher David Chalmers has claimed that the first question, how a brain computes information about itself and the surrounding world, is the ‘easy’ problem of consciousness. The second question, how a brain becomes aware of all that computed stuff, is the ‘hard’ problem.

I believe that the easy and the hard problems have gotten switched around. The sheer scale and complexity of the brain’s vast computations makes the easy problem monumentally hard to figure out. How the brain attributes the property of awareness to itself is, by contrast, much easier. If nothing else, it would appear to be a more limited set of computations. In my laboratory at Princeton University, we are working on a specific theory of awareness and its basis in the brain. Our theory explains both the apparent awareness that we can attribute to Kevin and the direct, first-person perspective that we have on our own experience....

There ya go both eliminated. No hard problem, no easy problem, just simple awareness and brain processes.

And as I said, combined with Tononi, Koch, evolution, etc. all the puzzle pieces fit so pack yer bags and head home.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#682  Postby GrahamH » May 02, 2014 1:05 pm

kennyc wrote:
Templeton wrote:...
I couldn't care less what convoluted mess you turn into a pissing match because it's obvious you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Carry on :coffee:

Don't even start. Clearly I've debunked your claims given that is your only response. :roll:

kennyc wrote:Ah yes, the 'further bit' - the bullshit that has no science behind it.

Oh the Irony :facepalm: :lol:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#683  Postby GrahamH » May 02, 2014 1:16 pm

kennyc wrote:...
Graziano's approach eliminates Chalmers idiotic hard problem. This is what you refuse to accept due to your biased view.

Now, there's a thought! You could be onto something there. You could be onto what I've been posting about for a few hundred posts on consciousness. Have a medal.

Graziano says:
...I believe that the easy and the hard problems have gotten switched around....Our theory explains both the apparent awareness that we can attribute to Kevin and the direct, first-person perspective that we have on our own experience....

Hard problem resolved, not just ignored.
Reference to experience and first person perspective accounted for, not just ignored.
I'm posting in English. What language are you reading in?

Bizarrely you still seem to think there is distance between me and Graziano, but you haven't identified and conflict. You just keep posting the Graziano saying the same things as me as if you were scoring points, when you are just scoring own-goals. I can only assume that you are just playing games here.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#684  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Graham I have no interest what-so-ever in scoring points.

I do have an interest in science and consciousness.

The conflict is that you still support the philosophical bullshit that has no science behind it. Graziano does not. There is no hard problem, there are no p-zombies, there is no dualism, there is no soul, humans are not special, human consciousness is not special, it is based on awareness something all living things inherently have and something that is becoming ever-more part of our technology.

Consciousness is a feedback mechanism (something you clearly do not or refuse to understand). The analogy with a thermostat is perfect yet you reject it. You want to include semantics, subjective bullshit and they have no part in what consciousness really is.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#685  Postby zoon » May 02, 2014 2:26 pm

kennyc wrote:Graham I have no interest what-so-ever in scoring points.

The conflict is that you still support the philosophical bullshit that has no science behind it. Graziano does not. There is no hard problem, there are no p-zombies, there is no dualism, there is no soul, humans are not special, human consciousness is not special, it is based on awareness something all living things inherently have and something that is becoming ever-more part of our technology.

Graziano says explicitly that awareness is not something that all living things inherently have, it’s something humans have evolved to attribute to some living things.

Quoting Graziano again, the same quote as in my post #538 above:

Michael Graziano wrote:Now consider Abel, whose machinery for social perception constructs a model of Bill’s mind. This type of model-building is called “theory of mind”. Abel constructs a theory of Bill’s mind. …..Abel’s model of Bill’s attention includes the following three complex chunks of information. First, awareness is present. Second, the awareness originates from Bill. Third, the awareness is directed toward the cup. These properties – the property of awareness and its source and target – are bound together into a representation in Abel’s brain.

In this formulation, Bill’s visual attention is an event in the world to be perceived, and awareness is the perceptual counterpart to it constructed by Abel’s social machinery.

The statement there is that Abel’s social machinery constructs a percept, “awareness” which Abel then attributes to Bill. Bill’s “awareness” is something created by Abel’s brain, it’s not something which Bill has.
zoon

Print view this post

#686  Postby GrahamH » May 02, 2014 2:30 pm

kennyc wrote:The conflict is that you still support the philosophical bullshit that has no science behind it. Graziano does not.

'Support'? Graziano talks about people having expeirence, the 'appearance of magic' and the Hard Problem. He doesn't hide from these as puzzles to be answered, he offers possible answers. I have taken the exact same stance here.

Nowhere in the thread will you find me arguing that there are P-Zombies (just a little jibe at your aversion to the mention of 'experience') or souls or specialness of humans or anything like that.

kennyc wrote:The analogy with a thermostat is perfect yet you reject it. You want to include semantics, subjective bullshit and they have no part in what consciousness really is.

The analogy of the thermostats is fatally flawed and directly contradicts Graziano. We say humans are concious because they attribute mind to themselves, and there is no reason to think, no reason offered here, that thermostats can do that.

It is absurd to suppose that a thermostat could attribute consciousness to a human.

No meaningful discussion is possible without semantics (whether explicitly acknowledged or taken for granted). Do you think it has something to do with souls FFS?? Do you think physical brains cannot generate semantics? What do you think information is if not information about something else?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#687  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 4:23 pm

zoon wrote:

Graziano says explicitly that awareness is not something that all living things inherently have, it’s something humans have evolved to attribute to some living things.

and where exactly did I say he did? :roll: Please do try to follow the conversation.

If he said that he's wrong as I've already explained, awareness is inherently a part of any living thing. And in the ways of the laws of physics is not even restricted to living thing, it can be considered responding to environment as a thermostat does.

As I said before there are two relatively defined lines, but not complete separations - the one between living and non-living things, the one between simple awareness and consciousness and the one between consciousness and self-consciousness.

Now you were saying?
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#688  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 4:25 pm

GrahamH wrote:
kennyc wrote:The conflict is that you still support the philosophical bullshit that has no science behind it. Graziano does not.

'Support'? Graziano talks about people having expeirence, the 'appearance of magic' and the Hard Problem. He doesn't hide from these as puzzles to be answered, he offers possible answers. I have taken the exact same stance here.

Nowhere in the thread will you find me arguing that there are P-Zombies (just a little jibe at your aversion to the mention of 'experience') or souls or specialness of humans or anything like that.

kennyc wrote:The analogy with a thermostat is perfect yet you reject it. You want to include semantics, subjective bullshit and they have no part in what consciousness really is.

The analogy of the thermostats is fatally flawed and directly contradicts Graziano. We say humans are concious because they attribute mind to themselves, and there is no reason to think, no reason offered here, that thermostats can do that.

It is absurd to suppose that a thermostat could attribute consciousness to a human.

No meaningful discussion is possible without semantics (whether explicitly acknowledged or taken for granted). Do you think it has something to do with souls FFS?? Do you think physical brains cannot generate semantics? What do you think information is if not information about something else?

We've been through this, around that block a couple of times already in this thread and too damn many times in other threads. You are wrong. This deserves no other response that to say been there, done that, got the shirt.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#689  Postby zoon » May 02, 2014 4:32 pm

kennyc wrote:
zoon wrote:

and where exactly did I say he did? :roll: Please do try to follow the conversation.

If he said that he's wrong as I've already explained, awareness is inherently a part of any living thing. And in the ways of the laws of physics is not even restricted to living thing, it can be considered responding to environment as a thermostat does.

As I said before there are two relatively defined lines, but not complete separations - the one between living and non-living things, the one between simple awareness and consciousness and the one between consciousness and self-consciousness.

Now you were saying?

Thanks for the clarification, I supposed from your mentioning Graziano as correct and immediately saying that all living things have awareness (in your post quoted above), that you were attributing that view to Graziano. If you are saying that you are in disagreement with Graziano on that point, I don’t have a problem.
zoon

Print view this post

#690  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 4:43 pm

Yes, I don't align completely with any of these specific theories it toto, but I do think that in combination the committee :) is headed in the right direction. That was my point the last few posts - since bringing up Tononi etc (668, 671...) . It seems (to me at least) that much of the 'real' cognitive and neural science is beginning to come together. In conjunction with the various human brain projects in the U.S., Europe, etc. I'm hoping there will be great strides in the next few years.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#691  Postby kennyc » May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Also after re-reading the Koch piece on Tononi and partially re-reading the PLOS piece linked above on IIT I'm thinking he is on the right track, particularly for linking and semi-integrating brain activity and computer/other information systems. The thing is there are a lot of unknowns in attempting to assign a number (phi) to consciousness but what I agree with the framework he is approaching it from in trying to quantify (note the subject title of this thread :D ) consciousness.

I'm going to go and re-read that IIT paper of his for the moment and try and get a deeper understanding of it.

The problem if anything with his approach alone is that focused almost entirely on the numbers/statistics and attempting to
measure capability and that in itself does not constitute a full theory of consciousness.
Last edited by kennyc on May 02, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#692  Postby DavidMcC » May 02, 2014 5:51 pm

kennyc wrote:Also after re-reading the Koch piece on Tononi and partially re-reading the PLOS piece linked above on IIS I'm thinking he is on the right track, particularly for linking and semi-integrating brain activity and computer/other information systems. The thing is there are a lot of unknowns in attempting to assign a number (phi) to consciousness but what I agree with the framework he is approaching it from in trying to quantify (note the subject title of this thread :D ) consciousness.

... Not least of which would be that C is unlikely to be representable by a single scalar quantity, in any case, surely?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#693  Postby Templeton » May 03, 2014 11:47 pm

kennyc wrote:
Don't even start. Clearly I've debunked your claims given that is your only response. :roll:

Clearly :what:

What claims might those be? Seems I merely offered some relevant information to the topic and you shot the messenger...real bright there kennyc. Try clicking on the link and actually reading the article, and then apply the new information to the conversation. Somehow I don't believe that is your agenda though.
My take on this topic is that the science isn't there to quantify (measure) consciousness - yet.

Carry on :coffee:
Templeton

United States (us)
Print view this post

#694  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 2:31 pm

From Templeton's recent link:
Searching for the Mind: Evolution

Many of the previous posts in Searching for the Mind have documented the cognitive abilities of cells, microbes, even viruses and perhaps jumping genes and prions. It is reasonable to consider that this active cognitive ability in cells influences evolution ...

:shock:
Prions with "cognitive abilities"? :lol:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#695  Postby Templeton » May 04, 2014 4:42 pm

DavidMcC wrote:From Templeton's recent link:

Many of the previous posts in Searching for the Mind have documented the cognitive abilities of cells, microbes, even viruses and perhaps jumping genes and prions. It is reasonable to consider that this active cognitive ability in cells influences evolution ...

David, not sure if you're exhibiting typical RS behavior or not - but in this context, I believe "cognitive abilities" refers to the actual physiological functions of the brain. I.E. Cognition :?
Templeton

United States (us)
Print view this post

#696  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Templeton wrote:

David, not sure if you're exhibiting typical RS behavior or not - but in this context, I believe "cognitive abilities" refers to the actual physiological functions of the brain. I.E. Cognition :?

That was not how I understood the article, Templeton. Surely, the "cognitive abilities in cells, microbes, ..." does not refer to their function in cognition by the host organism, because microbes ARE organisms, even if prions are not.
If you are correct. then the sentence is badly worded, IMO. Perhaps it should have read "cognition-related function" instead of "cognitive ability".
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#697  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 5:22 pm

GrahamH wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:No, you weren't making idle speculations, you were earnestly commenting on the same article that I was.

Then track it down, it sounds interesting.

I prefer to get others to do the hard, time-consuming work of tracking old stuff down on this site, I'm afraid. :hide:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#698  Postby kennyc » May 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Well, yes, that's only part of why I said it/that site was a load of horse-shit.
As noted in my previous replies wrt that link.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#699  Postby Ironclad » May 05, 2014 9:48 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Guys,

It has been noted that that this thread is trending towards off-topic and over-personalisation, can we please get away from this. Also, topic relocations and the like can be discussed with the moderators, if it is really felt necessary.

Ironclad

Please do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is off-topic.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#700  Postby SpeedOfSound » May 05, 2014 11:34 am

GrahamH wrote:

Mostly I am trying to get the notification system to start sending me emails again. But.

You trip my switch with this attributing C to humans. I doubt dogs do that or squirrels yet I want to believe that they are conscious. I attribute to them. How could they attribute to me in a way that differs from a thermostats semantics?

The other place you and I cross is that I claim a thermostat has that one basic atom that builds towards semantics. I don't think semantics a mystery I just believe it is a graph that gets really big really fast. I also think it's action oriented and somewhat mechanical. So t-stats are a good place to start our work.

Now I do not think that C is such a thing that it has a point whee it suddenly turns or appears in evolution. So if you could remove one bit of it at a time you would have no sense of it disappearing at all, yet at some point it would effectively disappear.

That brings us to another problem that I have with your posts. Back to attributing, full circle. You have folkP concepts as part of your theory. Calling them higher order brain functions only covers the tracks. It often seems like you are saying we need these cognitive concepts to be conscious and I doubt very much that any of us have in mind these concepts in our day-to-day lives. Yet we seem to feel just the same.
So it all gets a bit muddled and I am having issue with it.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience