What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#3881  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Clifford Simak. Couldn't think of what to read, so I started back on some Golden Age science fiction. Did Foundation Trilogy, several Heinlein, and now Simak. It can be a bit dated (the mega computers use tape drives), but I'd forgotten how well written many are. It had been many years since Heinlein, and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The Green Hills of Earth, and Starship Troopers have held up remarkably well. ST in particular, anyone who has only seen the movie dreck needs to read the book.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3882  Postby Macdoc » Aug 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Try Walter Jon Williams or Lois McMaster Bujold in particular Vorkosigan Saga by her ( get the order correct - lots of somewhat connected novels ) and Hard Wired and Angel Station by WJ
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3883  Postby crazyfitter » Sep 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks Macdoc for the heads up on Hardwired. I have just finished the first novel, or I think I have, it finished just before some action with the sentence 'to be continued'. Its a kindle edition and the cover photo isn't one that you posted.

I read Daddy's World first which facinated me but as it's little more than an essay I haven't listed it. Kindle free.

the long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers is quite enjoyable but I'm confused with a bit of the science. It's a road trip novel featuring a spaceship who's job is to punch wormholes through the galaxy which is heaving with life. The problem is that faster than light travel is banned throughout the galaxy because of the effects of relativity but galaxy life can for example spend 6 hours traveling through a wormhole, do a job and be back in time for tea so to speak. So, no relativity with wormholes?
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#3884  Postby Macdoc » Sep 13, 2016 7:01 am

Peregrine Spring highly recommended

We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3885  Postby Blip » Sep 17, 2016 7:32 am

Some of you may be interested in The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable by Amitav Ghosh, which is on my own list. I love Ghosh's fiction writing, so this has to be worth a look.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3886  Postby Evolving » Sep 21, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm finding Harry Potter and the Cursed Child better than I thought it was going to be. In fact, having reached the end of Act One, I'm intrigued by it.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3887  Postby Macdoc » Sep 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Some of you may be interested in The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable by Amitav Ghosh, which is on my own list. I love Ghosh's fiction writing, so this has to be worth a look.

Guardian
“One of its central themes is that writers, artists and filmmakers, including himself, have largely ignored climate change—‘the great derangement’ of the title— simply because it seems too far-fetched and terrifying. But does it really make a difference if authors write about climate change? ‘Making a difference isn’t the point; the point is to examine the meaning of the arts. If we believe that the arts are meant to look ahead, open doors, then how is this huge issue of our time, absent from the arts? It’s like death, no one wants to talk about it.’”

Sunday Guardian Live
“Ghosh’s latest book, The Great Derangement, is a j’accuse issued against all those literary writers who abdicated their social responsibility by being indifferent to the climate crisis—by far the greatest predicament facing humanity. . . . As The Great Derangement emphasises throughout, the crisis of language is at the heart of every human predicament. And now, if our writers are not leading the way, we’re more than doomed.”

there is one quote in there about writers ignoring climate change but I don't find that to be true at all....it's an accepted under current ...certainly in all dystopian fiction in the last few years....if anything it's assumed a given of future earth. I suggest perhaps the reviewers are out of step and too buried in high minded fiction

Not sure what the point of the book would be other than to dress up dramatic prose what IS already happening.....and IS already being addressed on a scale many do not realize.

When Exxon acknowledges it as an "engineering problem" and China reaches peak coal years ahead of plan and EV vehicles are poised to dominate sales by 2020 ( they are already the top selling vehicles in some nations ) ....more imaginative pan banging is not going to move it forward.

It IS an engineering problem....not a shortage of imagination.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3888  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Evolving wrote:I'm finding Harry Potter and the Cursed Child better than I thought it was going to be. In fact, having reached the end of Act One, I'm intrigued by it.

I kind of want to read it, but I don't know if I will like reading a play. I read all the books out loud to Little Faceless, so reading a play like that just seems weird.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3889  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 22, 2016 2:53 pm

I'm also currently reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, as well as Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.

Nabokov was just freaking brilliant. His writing is so beautiful I can't believe English was not even his native language.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3890  Postby Evolving » Sep 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Pale Fire is an astonishing book: read it many years ago. And of course I love Emma's story.

I'm sure Cursed Child works far better in the theatre (would love to see it), but even reading it you get a good idea of her imagination and her characters; both of which are what I most admire about Rowling. That, and her humour.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3891  Postby Blip » Sep 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Macdoc wrote:
there is one quote in there about writers ignoring climate change but I don't find that to be true at all....it's an accepted under current ...certainly in all dystopian fiction in the last few years....if anything it's assumed a given of future earth. I suggest perhaps the reviewers are out of step and too buried in high minded fiction

Not sure what the point of the book would be other than to dress up dramatic prose what IS already happening.....and IS already being addressed on a scale many do not realize.
[...]

Indeed, I've just finished reading Margaret Atwood's dystopian trilogy (Oryx and Crake; The Year of the Flood; MaddAddam), writing which must surely be known to Ghosh and The Guardian's book reviewers, just as one high-profile example.

My reaction is to read Ghosh's work for myself, which I'll do shortly. I'm in the middle of The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver at the moment; it's wonderful.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3892  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2016 1:06 am

Reading some dystopian YT Hunger Games wanna be ...totally suckered in by the first triology freebie - David Estes - Country Saga

It's a really messed up planet but not by humans ..size large bollide.

It would be interesting to go back and see early climate change in SciFi...

Certainly Mother of Storms was scary prescient and not only for climate/weather

That he crafted this 20 years ago is remarkable and he called self driving cars and massive social networking/blogging for money as well as climate catastrophe ....nominated for a few awards...highly recommended

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3893  Postby Fallible » Sep 24, 2016 10:47 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:I'm also currently reading Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, as well as Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.

Nabokov was just freaking brilliant. His writing is so beautiful I can't believe English was not even his native language.

Agreed. I must get around to Pale Fire again. I picked it up to start reading a number of year ago now, but something was going on at that time and I couldn't commit to it. I've been living all this time in the hope that it will be half as good as Lolita.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3894  Postby Evolving » Sep 24, 2016 12:11 pm

It has no similarity whatsoever; but you know that.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3895  Postby Fallible » Sep 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Yeah. I remember being intrigued by the premise and format; think I might have to bump it up the 'to-read' list.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3896  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Nabokov, pfft. He's a poor man's Ayn Rand.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3897  Postby Fallible » Sep 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Naughty children don't care whether the attention they get is positive or negative, do they.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3898  Postby smudge » Sep 25, 2016 10:46 am

Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C Clarke. Two thirds in- so good. :-)
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3899  Postby Fallible » Oct 02, 2016 11:17 am

I'm reading this at the moment.

I love this bloke, and he's just gone up even more in my estimation now that I've just witnessed him tearing the author of The Secret a new one.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3900  Postby Macdoc » Oct 02, 2016 11:41 am

Bear loves his big scale hard scifi grounded into today.

and now on to the diabolical minds behind the Man Who Never Was...much fun and astonishing

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books