What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#3901  Postby Lola » Oct 07, 2016 12:52 am

Fallible wrote:I'm reading this at the moment.

I love this bloke, and he's just gone up even more in my estimation now that I've just witnessed him tearing the author of The Secret a new one.

I don't care if Derren may dupe his audiences. Good on him...he's a sharp cat. And, I LOVE THAT BLOKE, TOO!!!

Oooh... really??? He tears apart that "The Secret" author? Nice. As much of a positive person I am, THE SECRET is such BULLSHIT!

Thank you, Fallible...I didn't know of this book. I shall read it this year...actually, I'll download it tonight. :grin:

ETA: Aww...dang. No Kindle..OK, I'll have to order the book. Looks great though.

Me: right now Im reading a Classic I'd not read in my life yet: Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Oh, so rich in literature, vocabulary and fulfilling to read.
Lola

Name: Lola
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3902  Postby murshid » Oct 07, 2016 8:06 am

Lola wrote:Me: right now Im reading a Classic I'd not read in my life yet: Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Oh, so rich in literature, vocabulary and fulfilling to read.

:o I'm reading the same book on my new Kobo e-reader. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#3903  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2016 8:12 am

No Happy on kindle in the US? That's the format I've got. Weird. I like him precisely because he's so up-front about how he's tricking people, how he's clear that everything needed to work out what's happened has gone on in plain sight. Yes, he doesn't like the Secret author very much. He argues that approaches like hers are just an extension of the guilting of organised religions, and actually increase unhappiness by making out that if you didn't get what you want, you didn't want it enough or you did something wrong, so it's your fault your life's shit.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3904  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 07, 2016 9:56 am

Positive thinking is good. Positive thinking as a means of getting what you want is
not so good. It should be used as an end in itself rather than as a means to an end

I got Stoner by John Williams. Supposed to be one of the greatest novels ever. Never heard of either it or him before
He only wrote four. Great novelists do not have to be prolific. Joseph Heller only wrote five and Harper Lee only two
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3905  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2016 10:36 am

Derren touched on some of these things in his Tricks of the Mind book. I might obtain it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3906  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 07, 2016 3:06 pm

Fallible wrote:No Happy on kindle in the US? That's the format I've got. Weird. I like him precisely because he's so up-front about how he's tricking people, how he's clear that everything needed to work out what's happened has gone on in plain sight. Yes, he doesn't like the Secret author very much. He argues that approaches like hers are just an extension of the guilting of organised religions, and actually increase unhappiness by making out that if you didn't get what you want, you didn't want it enough or you did something wrong, so it's your fault your life's shit.

I can't find that book on Amazon (US) at all. Does it have another name over here?

Edit: Ok, I figured it out - you have to type in the subtitle to get this book to show up on Amazon. You can't even just type the author's name and Happy either. Weird.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3907  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2016 3:43 pm

That is odd. :think:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3908  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm Happy right now.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3909  Postby Macdoc » Oct 09, 2016 8:12 am

Faast paced ..intensely interesting...hilariously um ......not for chat at dinner....

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3910  Postby Macdoc » Oct 14, 2016 6:58 pm

talk about a trip through memory lane for me. Unauthorized but very fair insider look at the emergence both of Apple and Gates /IBM early on in the personal computer explosion plus the emergence of Jony Ives and Tim Cook

He's a pro writer and it shows plus certainly someone Steve was comfortable with. Covers off the failure of NEXT and the incredibly success of Pixar plus the astonishing rise of the iMac iPod, iPhone and the iTune store as Apple turned around from on the ropes to the most valuable company in the world......much due to Steve's vision and perfectionism plus what he learned from his past mistakes with people and with products.

Review
“Becoming Steve Jobs is fantastic. After working with Steve for over 25 years, I feel this book captures with great insight the growth and complexity of a truly extraordinary person. I hope that it will be recognized as the definitive history.”
—Ed Catmull, president, Disney Animation and Pixar

"Steve Jobs is the person who most inspires the new generation of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs. In this deeply-researched book, you'll find the most truthful portrait of the real Steve Jobs."
— Marc Andreessen

"Smart, accurate, informative, insightful and at times, utterly heartbreaking.... Becoming Steve Jobs is going to be an essential reference for decades to come."
— John Gruber, Daring Fireball

About the Author
BRENT SCHLENDER is one of the premiere chroniclers of the personal computer revolution, writing about every major figure and company in the tech industry. He covered Steve Jobs for the Wall Street Journal and Fortune for nearly 25 years.

RICK TETZELI, executive editor of Fast Company, has covered technology for two decades. He is the former deputy editor of Fortune, and editor of Entertainment Weekly.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3911  Postby Blip » Oct 15, 2016 2:00 pm

I've just finished reading The Great Derangement by Amitav Ghosh and it is a masterly, erudite work. I've summarised it briefly elsewhere as 'a very insightful examination of the impact of culture and politics on the climate change debate, this is a must-read, but not a reassuring one.'

ETA to clarify that neither Ghosh nor I think there is any debate about the fact of climate change.

Now to read Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver, one of my favourite authors.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3912  Postby Mazille » Oct 16, 2016 10:57 am

Fallible wrote:I'm reading this at the moment.

I love this bloke, and he's just gone up even more in my estimation now that I've just witnessed him tearing the author of The Secret a new one.

The real question is, why is there a star on your thumbnail?

Also, I'm reading Palahniuk's Choke. Fine, so far. Had to snort a couple of times.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#3913  Postby Fallible » Oct 16, 2016 11:17 am

That's not me. Google or amazon wouldn't let me link the amazon photo I wanted, and there were precious few other images to choose from.

I have Choke on my to-read pile. Also, Fight Club. I ready Lullaby a few years ago and enjoyed it.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3914  Postby Mazille » Oct 16, 2016 11:36 am

Fallible wrote:That's not me. Google or amazon wouldn't let me link the amazon photo I wanted, and there were precious few other images to choose from.

Yeah, yeah. :roll:

Fallible wrote:I have Choke on my to-read pile. Also, Fight Club. I ready Lullaby a few years ago and enjoyed it.

I guess I'll have to add those to my pile of shame after I'm done with that one, if it holds up.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#3915  Postby Fallible » Oct 16, 2016 4:37 pm

US will tell you - I have child hands. It's the reason I had to learn the ukulele rather than the guitar; my fingers couldn't stretch to make the chords. He makes fun of me for having a disability. That lady's thumb, however, is very long.

I found Lullaby acceptable. I've seen mixed reviews for all his books, but then one must keep in mind that there are people who enjoy Maeve Binchy.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3916  Postby The_Piper » Oct 16, 2016 5:02 pm

I just finished the Cliff's notes to Lord of the Flies. :teef:
Back to this book.Image
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3917  Postby Mazille » Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Fallible wrote:US will tell you - I have child hands.

I could mention that this might be a reason for marriage.

I won't, though, because I like the guy.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#3918  Postby Fallible » Oct 17, 2016 6:15 am

:nono:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3919  Postby crazyfitter » Oct 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Reading Palace of Treason, a Putin era spy novel by Jason Matthews an ex CIA agent. He includes recipes of food his spies eat in various restaurants. Just how bizarre is that?
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#3920  Postby Prog Snob » Oct 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Prog Snob

Name: John
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books