God is not complex

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: God is not complex

#21  Postby Mick » Jan 03, 2014 12:14 am

Calilasseia wrote:So if enthusiasts for different asserted entities can bring "conceptual analysis" to bear on their asserted entities, it makes those asserted entities as valid as yours, does it?

I'll enjoy seeing the apologetics erected to hand-wave this away.

They'd need to offer an account of why that concept should be taken that way or whatever else.

With God much fruit can be had if we ask something like this: if god were the sustainer of all other things, then what else can we say about him? Or if the god of some cosmological argument existed, what would be true of him? What can we say? What would the God of Christianity be like if he existed? Here we try to work with what we know about one such God to deduce new understandings
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#22  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jan 03, 2014 12:24 am

There is too much self-contradiction and too many badly phrased statements here, to make any sense out of what the subject if the thread is.

When I read the opening statement:
Not clear where this comes from but I think it deserves a thread! I profoundly disagree!

I thought he was saying that he DISAGREED with the idea that the subject deserves a thread, and so he started one.

After I worked my way past that flipped-over vehicle, I thought maybe the point was that the Threadstarter found the idea that a simple god could create a complex universe was problematic. But trying to make heads or tails of the big thread opening quote is tough, because after a single brief mention of god:

God is not complex.

Interesting. I thought complexity was like a building block of the universe. It looks to me as if religion is in far more trouble than I thought!

the rest of the UNATTRIBUTED quote talks about the author patting himself on the back for some only vaguely described bit of brilliance on his part, having something to do with a very general approach to science.

Since the Threadstarter himself doesn't appear to know for sure what he is trying to talk about, I'd like to ask him to start over, and specify something.

Here's my guess: Clive remembers reading somewhere that some theists claim that god isn't complex, and Clive takes issue with that, on the grounds that he doesn't think that a simple god concept can answer all questions about a complex universe.

That doesn't sound to me to be worth arguing about (we have lots of complex systems in the real world, which are made from simple building blocks) to begin with, and it certainly doesn't match up with anything I've ever heard any Theists pounding on a bout. The closest I can guess to what Clive MIGHT have read that set him off, and which DOES make sense in it's way, is the notion that believers don't themselves have to carry a complicated idea of their god around and wrestle with it all the time. That idea is as old as such things get, and boils down to priests telling followers "stop sweating the details. God is simple: pray to it and do what I tell you when I tell you, and everything will be fine."

The thread is already starting to grow hair, bringing in deep stuff about Complexity Theory and other stuff that I don't think has anything to do with this. More than anything else, until Clive can specify exactly what it is that he is concerned about, there's nothing to talk about.

What I understand the quote in the OP is stating is that the universe and everything in it - including us - are derived from very simple rules - no gods anywhere.

Sorry Clive, I don't see anything of the kind in your opening post quote. Plus it seems to be a quote within a quote. Someone who quoted a passage by a third person, about how clever they were to use computer theory to simplify all Science Mathematics, exclaims before quoting the self-adulation, that they think religion is in trouble.

So my simple question is... What in the WORLD are you going on about here?
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fenrir » Jan 03, 2014 12:50 am

a) god is the most perfect thing imaginable

b) perfect things have no extraneous parts

c) complex things have extraneous parts

d) the more perfect a thing is, the less complexity it needs to achieve its purpose

e) god, in order to be the most perfect thing, must of necessity have no parts.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 03, 2014 1:01 am

Mick wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:So if enthusiasts for different asserted entities can bring "conceptual analysis" to bear on their asserted entities, it makes those asserted entities as valid as yours, does it?

I'll enjoy seeing the apologetics erected to hand-wave this away.

They'd need to offer an account of why that concept should be taken that way or whatever else.

The same applies to your asserted entity. Still waiting for something other than blind assertions here.

Mick wrote:With God much fruit can be had if we ask something like this:

Let me guess, another attempt to conjure your magic entity into existence with apologetics spells ...

Mick wrote:if god were the sustainer of all other things, then what else can we say about him?

This presumes the existence of this entity in advance. Until that existence assertion is placed upon a substantive footing, such questions are nothing but speculation and fantasy.

Mick wrote:Or if the god of some cosmological argument existed, what would be true of him? What can we say? What would the God of Christianity be like if he existed?

Again, all mere speculation and fantasy until the existence assertion ceases to be a mere assertion.

Mick wrote:Here we try to work with what we know assert about one such God to deduce new understandings

Fixed it for you.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Mick » Jan 03, 2014 1:19 am

It is a conditional in the subjunctive mood. It does not assume God's existence, Cali.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#26  Postby jamest » Jan 03, 2014 1:40 am

God itself, being indivisible (absolutely singular), and without any cause, is the simplest form of being. Complexity is a term which applies to multi-divisible entities with numerous causal explanations for their own occurrence.
Last edited by jamest on Jan 03, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jan 03, 2014 3:49 am

Fenrir wrote:a) god is the most perfect thing imaginable

b) perfect things have no extraneous parts

c) complex things have extraneous parts

d) the more perfect a thing is, the less complexity it needs to achieve its purpose

e) god, in order to be the most perfect thing, must of necessity have no parts.

You must be Believer. c), and d) are abject nonsense, not supported by reality.

Oh, and I'm so sorry to hear that your god has no parts. Send money.
igorfrankensteen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 03, 2014 7:35 am

God is not complex = god is simple = god has no parts = god does not exist. Are not theists who argue this atheists?

Is not complexity a requirement of existence?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 03, 2014 9:30 am

jamest wrote:God itself, being indivisible (absolutely singular), and without any cause, is the simplest form of being. Complexity is a term which applies to multi-divisible entities with numerous causal explanations for their own occurrence.

How does or did it do anything then?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fenrir » Jan 03, 2014 9:38 am

Clive Durdle wrote:God is not complex = god is simple = god has no parts = god does not exist. Are not theists who argue this atheists?

Weeelll, theists in this thread have already suggested god must lack complexity, and seeing as Anselm is a bit of a gold standard thinker for many theists, I figured they'd be all over my proof that god must not exist, long as my unsupported assumptions followed on from and were no more ridiculous than his.

Waiting for the calls to appear on Faux as we speak.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#31  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jan 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:God is not complex = god is simple = god has no parts = god does not exist. Are not theists who argue this atheists?

If complexity were a requirement of existence, nothing simple would exist. Since some simple things already exist, this is proven false. So no, saying your god is not complex is not tantamount to saying it/he/she doesn't exist.

As I tried to point out, there's more than one meaning to the word "simple," and people who say something is "simple" don't necessarily mean it is in the way you want to think that they mean it, to make your arguments work out for you.

Playing with other people's word usages to prove that they didn't mean what they think they mean can be fun, and occasionally it even serves to let said person figure out more accurate ways to express themselves...but it almost never proves anything one way or another about the actual subject that they talked about.

In other words, if I do a poor job of describing YOU, for example, it has no bearing at all on whether or not YOU actually exist. It just shows that I have to work on my prose a bit more, or perhaps tweak my observational skills a bit.
igorfrankensteen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby quisquose » Jan 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Non-existence is the simplest thing imaginable.

Having said that, a black stone is quite simple. Perhaps I should worship one?
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Is anything in this universe simple? What? Light? Nope, light is something that spacetime with quantum effects does.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I thought non existence was pretty complex as well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UemhCsaeGgc
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby jamest » Jan 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
jamest wrote:God itself, being indivisible (absolutely singular), and without any cause, is the simplest form of being. Complexity is a term which applies to multi-divisible entities with numerous causal explanations for their own occurrence.

How does or did it do anything then?

That's a different issue to what God itself is. Although in some sense, omniscience and omnipotence would suffice as a simple answer.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#36  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jan 03, 2014 12:33 pm

The fact that you can't think of anything that's simple, again indicates that your personal definition of simple is where the problem lies. You are applying your own definition of the word to what others say, and because your usage and theirs don't match, you pretend that you've proven something about what they said.

Anyone can play that game, and prove anything, to themselves. It's meaningless, past showing that the person playing the game is an egotist.
igorfrankensteen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

OK, please define simple and suggest something simple.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Even if the whole universe started from something simple, the simplest thing, and we decide to call it "God" or "Origin" or whatever - I don't see how that thing could be the God of Christianity who sends His son down and answers prayers and performs miracles and has a "mind", disembodied or otherwise. Mind arises out of complexity, as too do emotions and reasoning. We need a mind to plan and to put things into motion. We need complex beings for this.

If a simple "god" (or whatever you want to call it) existed and all complexity arose from this starting point, this "god" wouldn't have control over the outcome of the universe any more than LUCA had control over the outcome of evolution. It wouldn't be a being, a thinking, feeling, creative thing. Because such a being needs complexity first. It would be no more than a particle or something, from which everything springs.

Though I'm not sure how such a thing could do anything.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Mick » Jan 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Animavore wrote:Even if the whole universe started from something simple, the simplest thing, and we decide to call it "God" or "Origin" or whatever - I don't see how that thing could be the God of Christianity who sends His son down and answers prayers and performs miracles and has a "mind", disembodied or otherwise. Mind arises out of complexity, as too do emotions and reasoning. We need a mind to plan and to put things into motion. We need complex beings for this.

If a simple "god" (or whatever you want to call it) existed and all complexity arose from this starting point, this "god" wouldn't have control over the outcome of the universe any more than LUCA had control over the outcome of evolution. It wouldn't be a being, a thinking, feeling, creative thing. Because such a being needs complexity first. It would be no more than a particle or something, from which everything springs.

Though I'm not sure how such a thing could do anything.

Properly speaking, God is not a being.

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.ca/2012/09/ ... m.html?m=1
Pay close attention to what Feser says here.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WBh-URToCy ... Bh-URToCyQ

And this is just awesome.
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#40  Postby Animavore » Jan 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Nice one. Feser just defined God out of existence. :thumbup:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler