Hell Is Not the Issue

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Hell Is Not the Issue

#141  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

satis5d wrote:....

3. I have been forced to change many parts of my worldview over the years in my search for truth. I value scientific study a great deal. What I believe now has been hard fought, for the most part, and I will not easily be moved from my position, as I expect neither will any of you. I continue to share my beliefs with you because I've not heard that anyone else here has the same peace about death and Hell that I have.

OMFG! You really don't have a clue do you? You value science a 'great deal.' -- well holy fucking good for you, you clearly don't value it enough to understand that there is no support whatsoever for your beliefs. Of course you won't be moved -- most of you theists are the same -- you believe without proof, you live in fear, you believe you will live forever ... blah....blah....blah.....

Tell me what do you remember from before you were born given that your soul, your consciousness exists forever??

As far as scientists or atheists clinging to their positions -- that's total bullshit, like most of what you have posted since joining this forum. Science is it's own most powerful critic and will change immediately given invalidation of any of it's beliefs. The same goes for atheists. All it would take is one clearly evident example of a god of any kind to change their minds. Amazingly that has never happened in human existence -- all we have a fairy stories with not support, no evidence, no proof.

As far as death, I for one am totally comfortable with it, I have no fear so just can stick that strawman you pulled out of your ass, I know that I will be gone forever when I die, that is why I strive to put my thoughts, my words, my ideas into literature, art and music. Those things may survive for some tiny amount of time beyond my physical life.

Jesus Fucking Christ!!!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#142  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 13, 2014 3:35 pm

satis5d wrote:
It seems to me that this group is rife with fear and that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist. And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied. (That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.)

I'd love too see your reasoning and method of assessment for arriving at that conclusion.
There has been a fairly eclectic bunch replying to you so far. If there are commonalities held here, its things like intolerance of religion continuing to interfere with our lives with its influence in politics, interference in things like stem cell research etc, the catholic church and its influence in disrupting the reduction of the spread of HIV in Africa etc.
Fretting about things like the existence of hell are things I did when I was about 12. Do I fear hell? To tell the truth, I fear the idea that you might be right and that I may have to spend eternity with a cruel, malicious, indifferent, misogynistic, homophobic, murderous, petty, psychotic, psychopathic cunt of a god as described in the bible more than I do the childish idea of hell.

The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable. Great! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. It exposes the shallowness of our beliefs. I've been there myself lots of times. I gave up a good-paying job at a church because I became so uncomfortable with the fact that I could see that corporate religion was part of the problem, not the solution. I already agree with a lot of things that you guys say, and some of you seem very intelligent.

Again, projection much. It amuses me that grown adults still hang onto this sort of thing. Its not a denial thing on my part any more than I deny the tooth fairy, Santa, fairies and goblins etc. Its that along with those other mythical creatures I may have naïvely believed in as a child, I grew out of belief as my incredulity developed and my standards for accepting things at face value increased.
Sure religion does much to undermine faith, with their obvious clinging to power, flouting of doctrine, changing their moral stance in response to their flocks etc but to be fair, its the shite theyre built on that's the obvious problem, the scriptures themselves. So full of error, outdated beliefs and morals, so lacking in evidence, so disappointing in promises, just empty shit, copies of so many other myths of the times.

So here is my big manipulation speech:
Live the way that you see fit and in the end the God that you deny will pleasantly surprise you. :o

I don't deny god, I see no evidence for god hence don't waste time in believing god exists, it really is simple.

However, if you're unhappy with the way your life is going because of your fear of death and Hell, I know what I've learned and experienced first-hand and I am certain that life can lived without fear of death and Hell because I'm living proof of it. Not because I'm anything special, that's just my experience. It seems to me that offering those who live in fear a solution would be a loving thing to do (provided that I do it for free and for no other personal benefit) since it seems that not many people around here have a solution other than to convince yourselves that God doesn't exist.

Think you'll find most of us are happily trundling along with no expectations about death than it will happen and then we will have no more experience of consciousness than we did before our parents got it on.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#143  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 3:36 pm

satis5d wrote:....

Live the way that you see fit and in the end the God that you deny will pleasantly surprise you. :o

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You really are deluded, just like the other theists. You think your type hasn't made this claim before. It's laughable. Provide proof and maybe you would be worth listening to.
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#144  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 3:37 pm

satis5d wrote:
trubble76 wrote:So we have to believe in your god first, then we will find reasons to believe in your god, is that right? Do you see what dishonest crap that looks like? You criticise our humility, another example of the dishonest manipulation that you asked me to point out. Does humility mean simply accepting what you say? Many of the people here value science, this makes them far better versed in humility than some proselytising god-botherer who thinks he has a direct line to his god. Humility is saying "I don't know but I'm going to try to find out." not "The answer is god, my god, accept it else." Perhaps you should look to the beam in your eye before casting judgement on us? You talk about "seekers of truth" but that is not you, is it? You have already found your truth and you want us to swallow it, hook, line and sinker, in the name of humility, on nothing more than your sayso.

You have shown us, as so many before you have done, that you are only interested in manipulation and self-aggrandisement. You have been exposed, the Emporer has no clothes on.

1. If you've paid attention to the key points I've made from the beginning of this thread, my point, and the point of my book is that you don't need to believe in my God or any god. Even if you go to your grave denying His existence, the God I know will rescue you from Hell and set you up for eternity in conditions far better than you can imagine on this earth after it has been refurbished. I say this based on years of study of the same Bible that many of you here criticize.

2. Have I criticized anyone's humility? Or did I point out that up to that point I hadn't noticed much of it.

3. I have been forced to change many parts of my worldview over the years in my search for truth. I value scientific study a great deal. What I believe now has been hard fought, for the most part, and I will not easily be moved from my position, as I expect neither will any of you. I continue to share my beliefs with you because I've not heard that anyone else here has the same peace about death and Hell that I have.

4. What do I stand to gain by manipulating anyone here? I'm not trying to convert you. At best I've kicked the anthill. The ants will scurry around wildly for a little bit, but soon they will go back to their daily business with their anthill fully rebuilt. I'm here to learn. I'm learning mostly about how you feel about God, the Bible and religion. I'm also open to tweaking my worldview if and when someone presents something worth adding.

It seems to me that this group is rife with fear and that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist. And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied. (That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.) The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable. Great! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. It exposes the shallowness of our beliefs. I've been there myself lots of times. I gave up a good-paying job at a church because I became so uncomfortable with the fact that I could see that corporate religion was part of the problem, not the solution. I already agree with a lot of things that you guys say, and some of you seem very intelligent.

However, if you're unhappy with the way your life is going because of your fear of death and Hell, I know what I've learned and experienced first-hand and I am certain that life can lived without fear of death and Hell because I'm living proof of it. Not because I'm anything special, that's just my experience. It seems to me that offering those who live in fear a solution would be a loving thing to do (provided that I do it for free and for no other personal benefit) since it seems that not many people around here have a solution other than to convince yourselves that God doesn't exist.

Nice sermon. Got anything else?
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#145  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 3:39 pm

theropod wrote:Oh for fucks sake. Have you thought this through? This supposed god created everything, including the evil he uses to condemn folks. He set up the fall and put the temptation to "sin" in place knowing the result. He set it up for man to fuck up. Why did he create us with a sinful nature? Apparently he wasn't all that great at logic, OR the folks that made up the whole thing weren't all that great at logic.

Law? Really? Are small children accountable for violating the law when they don't even know there is a law? No. How can humans that have no knowledge of good and evil be accountable for doing something when they had no means by which to determine was wrong? Remember, they had no ability to know right from wrong until they ate from the tree of knowledge. Fucking stupid made up mythology is stupid.

RS

:this:
:cheers:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Pebble » Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm

satis5d wrote:
It seems to me that this group is rife with fear and that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist. And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied. (That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.) The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable. Great! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. It exposes the shallowness of our beliefs. I've been there myself lots of times. I gave up a good-paying job at a church because I became so uncomfortable with the fact that I could see that corporate religion was part of the problem, not the solution. I already agree with a lot of things that you guys say, and some of you seem very intelligent.

I think you might benefit from looking again - what you call 'fear' is simply people being kind enough with their time to try to interact with you on your chosen territory. Look around the rest of the site - hell barely gets a mention, only tangentially referred to as one of the sillier ideas of supernaturalists.
You assert that if we are true atheists we would not engage - and hence infer some belief. Wrong again - when supernaturalists stop fucking with our education system, our laws, our politics - then there will be no need to engage.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Steve » Jul 13, 2014 3:55 pm

We don't engage from fear for us, we talk to you for fear for you. We are trying to bang on your head to get your damn brain going. What you spout is irrational. This site pushes rationality. Now push satis5d, push. You can do this!
As your desire is, so is your will.
As your will is, so is your deed.
As your deed is, so is your destiny
Blue Mountain Center of Meditation
Steve
RS Donator

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#148  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jul 13, 2014 4:02 pm

satis5d wrote:
You claim that what I say is untestable, but I told you directly that I tested God myself and got a very satisfying response. It's not that what I say is untestable, it's that God is highly unlikely to answer your deepest questions when your attitude toward him is one of pride and disingenuous request.

I accept that there is more to the quoted post. I hope this does not come off as quote mining. I simply wish to focus on the concept most embodied by the two sentences directly quoted.

You imply that God is testable. You say that disingenuous requests will not work. Very well. Yours is not the first faith-flavor from which I have received this claim. I am very sorry you don't see the problem with your claim yourself, and I hope I can do a sufficient job pointing it out to you.

Imagine, without making stuff up about what I actually believe, that I don't believe in any god. Imagine that. I understand you think I actually do believe in a god. I am sorry you harbor that unfortunate and false belief, and I wonder what special privilege allows you to know what I believe. That is beside the point. Imagine I actually do not believe in any god at all.

From the perspective of not believing in any god at all, how can I make any request of any god that is not a disingenuous request? Can you ask questions of a child's imaginary friend that are not disingenuous? A heartfelt and serious request can only be made to entities that one believes exist.

Can you see from this that you've basically locked atheists out of ever getting any sort of confirmation from your god? Can you see that by your own admission, your test will only work via the powers of confirmation bias? Or will you remain satisfied with lying about what we actually believe?
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#149  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Happy Birthday SS!!!!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jul 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks! :thumbup:

What I really want for my birthday is a cogent explanation of how satis5d's "test" is anything more than confirmation bias. ;)
Last edited by ScholasticSpastic on Jul 13, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 13, 2014 4:09 pm

satis5d wrote:

One of the things that a just/fair God must do is to remove any valid claims that humanity could put forward at the great hearing. For instance, some could say, "God, if you had only given mankind the chance to love you without knowing sin and without having a sinful nature, we would have loved you and served you forever." But God can respond, "I tried that, and you chose to rebel by breaking the only rule I gave you."

Few problems here. 1. Prior to breaking the rule, the only members of mankind that had been created were ignorant of the ideas of right and wrong.
2. God, being somewhat remiss, had also created a talking serpent with a penchant for telling the truth which God clearly didn't want telling, hence his hissy fit and temper tantrum.
3. God is supposed to be omniscient so he would have known exactly what was going to happen. No way around it so why the surprise/ Why the stupid game of hide and seek, the whole tree of knowledge thing? Why not just make them flawed to start with?
As it pertains to the law, an argument could be made..."God, if you would have only told us EXACTLY what we were supposed to do to live up to your standard of righteousness, we would have done it." To which God can reply, "I gave you the law for that reason and you repeatedly showed that you weren't interested in demonstrating your love for me that way."

What bollocks. He gave conflicting rules based on bullshit. Have you seen the cure for leprosy that the all knowing God gives us? Where's the conflict? God commands rest and worship of him on the Sabbath, Jesus collects food and cures the sick on the Sabbath.
So, in a sense, yes, God created a silly and weak testament, knowing full well that people would fail to love God through that method. Today he offers us the gift of live through Jesus Christ, also knowing that most people will reject that. God isn't concerned because his plan is not for us to save ourselves, He is looking forward to rescuing us and giving us far better than we deserve. (Consider the parable of the prodigal son.)

Now you're hear telling us that none of this matters, God is planning to install EarthMkII at some stage and it's all fixed anyway. So what is the point of the whole thing and why does it matter if anyone believes or not?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2014 4:15 pm

I will ask again:

Is the Earth the centre of the universe?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#153  Postby LucidFlight » Jul 13, 2014 4:18 pm

I think that it does not really matter where the centre of the universe is, for we are all within God's heart, for He is eternal and omnipresent, and like really powerful and all-knowing, too.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby BlackBart » Jul 13, 2014 4:25 pm

It was certainly ground zero for the big bang. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2014 4:29 pm

LucidFlight wrote:I think that it does not really matter where the centre of the universe is, for we are all within God's heart, for He is eternal and omnipresent, and like really powerful and all-knowing, too.

Well the bibble claims it to be the centre of the universe.

I just wonder if this theist actually has any idea how massive the universe is?

We are on a crummy little rock. Third in orbit around a very insignificant star which his magic book claims in the centre of the universe. :crazy: :crazy:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#156  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 5:00 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:Thanks! :thumbup:

What I really want for my birthday is a cogent explanation of how satis5d's "test" is anything more than confirmation bias. ;)

Unfortunately I don't think that is a possibility. :roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#157  Postby kennyc » Jul 13, 2014 5:02 pm

LucidFlight wrote:I think that it does not really matter where the centre of the universe is, for we are all within God's heart, for He is eternal and omnipresent, and like really powerful and all-knowing, too.

And besides that's what his God wants us to believe regardless of the fact that there are likely millions or even billions of other civilizations out there!
Kenny A. Chaffin
kennyc

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Fallible » Jul 13, 2014 5:16 pm

satis5d wrote:1. If you've paid attention to the key points I've made from the beginning of this thread, my point, and the point of my book is that you don't need to believe in my God or any god. Even if you go to your grave denying His existence, the God I know will rescue you from Hell and set you up for eternity in conditions far better than you can imagine on this earth after it has been refurbished. I say this based on years of study of the same Bible that many of you here criticize.

Engage that diamond sharp intellect of yours for a moment longer, satis5d. Most of us here do not hold the bible in high regard. We do not accept that it is the word of God, that it tells us anything useful about life, the universe and everything. We do not live our lives according to what is says. Now having absorbed that, can you please tell me what the flip* you think it's going to mean to any of us here that you have studied in great depth this book that practically no one here accepts plays any useful role in life? You may just as well come here and proudly proclaim that Moon Face and Silky are waiting for us on our next walk, within the trunk of the Magic Faraway Tree because you have dedicated your life to studying the complete works of Enid Blyton and this is what it tells you.

2. Have I criticized anyone's humility? Or did I point out that up to that point I hadn't noticed much of it.

Given what you go on to say about your observations of the feelings of people here about death and Hell, I would not rely upon your opinion of the humility of people here do or do not display to inform me. It seems to me from observing you over the past couple of days that you have a tendency to treat people as though they came down in the last shower and have never experienced the kind of thoughts you are sharing with us, that you think you are in a position of authority where the Bible is concerned. You do not, as you claim, appear to be in learning mode, but in preaching mode. Yet many of the people here have spent years in Bible study also, many of us (not me, I've never been a theist) were raised with religion. The vast majority of us have seen exactly the type of argumentation and fallacious reasoning that you display. Time and time again, over and over and over and over, it is the same basic content, wrapped in a slightly different coloured wrapping paper.

Well then let me help you out. I don't fear death at all. I don't know if you've ever been near death, but I have. I have been in a situation where my body began to shut down and my vision closed off. I didn't feel any fear, in fact a strange calm came over me. I was aware of a vague feeling of sadness that it was ending now with so much that I still had to do, but there was no fear. Now do you think that as I sit here fine and dandy today I am going to feel more scared of death than I was when I did in fact expect it at any moment, or less? What do you reckon, satis5d? As for Hell, please rest assured that I am at complete peace with that also, and that this peace emanates from the fact that I do not believe such a place to exist.

4. What do I stand to gain by manipulating anyone here? I'm not trying to convert you. At best I've kicked the anthill. The ants will scurry around wildly for a little bit, but soon they will go back to their daily business with their anthill fully rebuilt. I'm here to learn. I'm learning mostly about how you feel about God, the Bible and religion. I'm also open to tweaking my worldview if and when someone presents something worth adding.

You don't come across as someone who is here to learn.

It seems to me that this group is rife with fear

I don't really know why it seems to you that this group is rife with fear when only one person has expressed any fear at all. Perhaps you came here with the idea that we're all scared, I don't know. Personally, I've seen virtually nothing which would back up this claim of yours.

and that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist.

And I think you're projecting. I think you fear Hell plenty and are attempting to make yourself feel better by concocting a narrative whereby Hell is nothing to be scared of because it is presided over by an omnibenevolent god who will see you right in the end.

I do not say that God does not exist, and nor do many atheists here. We simply say that we have seen nothing to suggest that it does. The same with Hell. That's really all there is to it. I don't believe Thor exists either, or Shiva. I don't believe Hades exists, or indeed the Norse Hel. Do you? If not, then I can only conclude that you are full of fear and soothe yourself with talk of how these gods do not exist, therefore Hades and Hel must also not exist. Does that sound like a reasonable assessment of your position? Well then now you know how your assessment of the people here sounds.

And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied.

Not the first clue what this even means, sorry.

(That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.)

You're making things up, which is just as bad. The most you can say is that one person admits to having a fear of hell when he stops taking his anti-psychotic drugs. That's all you have to go on if you want to deal in facts. Perhaps we can see how you have belief in God by looking at the readiness with which in this matter of fear of God and Hell you fill in the gaps in your knowledge with what you want to be true.

The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable.

I've certainly made no argument that God does not exist, and indeed most of the action you will see in this area is theists coming here making positive claims of God's existence, followed by sceptics asking them to show their workings out. Alas they never can, and so the sceptics simply have been presented with no reason to accept that God is real. Again, you may find that it avails you here to deal with what you have actually seen people say, and not what you have decided beforehand you will see and then try to push as an 'observation'.

Great! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. It exposes the shallowness of our beliefs. I've been there myself lots of times. I gave up a good-paying job at a church because I became so uncomfortable with the fact that I could see that corporate religion was part of the problem, not the solution. I already agree with a lot of things that you guys say, and some of you seem very intelligent.

So again, exactly what is it that you think you have to say with your book? It seems to me that we can all carry on as we have been, not believing in God and not finding any reason to accept the arguments as to why we should, and still when we die we will be pleasantly surprised. Win-win. The only thing that would appear to be different if you come and inform us of this is that you will have put yourself forward as the one to tell us first. Self-aggrandizement, in other words. And yet you claim to be here to learn, so self-aggrandizement under the guise of learning.

However, if you're unhappy with the way your life is going because of your fear of death and Hell,

I don't have a fear of death or Hell.

I know what I've learned and experienced first-hand and I am certain that life can lived without fear of death and Hell because I'm living proof of it.

I know that life can be lived without fear of death or Hell because I am living proof of it. I have no need of you in that regard.

Not because I'm anything special, that's just my experience. It seems to me that offering those who live in fear

So far there's ONE PERSON here who self-disclosed living in fear. A better use of your time might be to make an arrangement with him to talk in private. Why don't you do that?

solution would be a loving thing to do (provided that I do it for free and for no other personal benefit)

Hey, satis5d, just so you know - there are forms of personal benefit other than money. One of those is thinking or knowing that one is 'doing good', or doing 'the loving thing'. This is what you think you're doing, and not only that, you want us all to know how much 'good' you're doing free of charge, so you make sure we know it by specifically pointing it out. You are doing this for personal benefit. I can't judge you for that, because we all do it. You simply need to be aware that you're not behaving any differently, and when you say you gain no personal benefit, that's not the truth.

since it seems that not many people around here have a solution other than to convince yourselves that God doesn't exist.
[/quote]

You see, this is the kind of thing that shows you're not here to learn. If you were, you would ask us what our views are and accept our answers. What you are doing is telling us what you think and expect us to be doing as though that's what we had told you, because of a fear you expect us to have. Just so we are clear - you do not get to come here and tell us what we fear or that we are trying to convince ourselves of anything. You are not me, and you are not even a fraction as insightful or learned about me as you imagine yourself to be.

* Just trying not to invoke rule 3 for the moment. This might change in time.
Last edited by Fallible on Jul 13, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#159  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 13, 2014 5:35 pm

satis5d wrote:
trubble76 wrote:So we have to believe in your god first, then we will find reasons to believe in your god, is that right? Do you see what dishonest crap that looks like? You criticise our humility, another example of the dishonest manipulation that you asked me to point out. Does humility mean simply accepting what you say? Many of the people here value science, this makes them far better versed in humility than some proselytising god-botherer who thinks he has a direct line to his god. Humility is saying "I don't know but I'm going to try to find out." not "The answer is god, my god, accept it else." Perhaps you should look to the beam in your eye before casting judgement on us? You talk about "seekers of truth" but that is not you, is it? You have already found your truth and you want us to swallow it, hook, line and sinker, in the name of humility, on nothing more than your sayso.

You have shown us, as so many before you have done, that you are only interested in manipulation and self-aggrandisement. You have been exposed, the Emporer has no clothes on.

1. If you've paid attention to the key points I've made from the beginning of this thread, my point, and the point of my book is that you don't need to believe in my God or any god. Even if you go to your grave denying His existence, the God I know will rescue you from Hell and set you up for eternity in conditions far better than you can imagine on this earth after it has been refurbished.

Then what's the point of hell?
satis5d wrote:I say this based on years of study of the same Bible that many of you here criticize.

So you base this on empty assertions from a religious mythology book. Not that reliable.

satis5d wrote:2. Have I criticized anyone's humility? Or did I point out that up to that point I hadn't noticed much of it.

What's the crucial difference between the two, other than one being an up front honest accusation and the other a disengenuous snipe?

satis5d wrote:3. I have been forced to change many parts of my worldview over the years in my search for truth. I value scientific study a great deal. What I believe now has been hard fought, for the most part, and I will not easily be moved from my position, as I expect neither will any of you. I continue to share my beliefs with you because I've not heard that anyone else here has the same peace about death and Hell that I have.

Well, then let my inform you, I am completely at peace with the death, as it is unavoidable and also with hell, as there's no evidence whatsoever that it even exists.

satis5d wrote:4. What do I stand to gain by manipulating anyone here? I'm not trying to convert you.

Then why the random bible quote?

satis5d wrote:It seems to me that this group is rife with fear

It seems to me that you are employing a common and well known tactic of apologists; to pseudo-analyse your opponent with negative emotional states in a dishonest and desperate attempt to discredit them.
You won't fool anyone with that here.
satis5d wrote:that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist.

No, we dont believe a hell exists, because no-one has provided any evidence for it.

satis5d wrote:And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied.

Satisfied? What are you talking about.
Again, no-one here has expressed fear of hell. That's your pathetic fabrication.

satis5d wrote:That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.)

Nope, you're just making stuff up about your opponents in a dishonest attempt to discredit them. :nono:

satis5d wrote: The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable.

Your blind faith and reliance on numerous fallacies is silly and sad, but it hardly makes me uncomfortable.
Any frustration we might express has nothing to do with the validity of your claims however.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#160  Postby satis5d » Jul 13, 2014 5:38 pm

theropod wrote:Oh for fucks sake. Have you thought this through? This supposed god created everything, including the evil he uses to condemn folks. He set up the fall and put the temptation to "sin" in place knowing the result. He set it up for man to fuck up. Why did he create us with a sinful nature? Apparently he wasn't all that great at logic, OR the folks that made up the whole thing weren't all that great at logic.

Law? Really? Are small children accountable for violating the law when they don't even know there is a law? No. How can humans that have no knowledge of good and evil be accountable for doing something when they had no means by which to determine was wrong? Remember, they had no ability to know right from wrong until they ate from the tree of knowledge. Fucking stupid made up mythology is stupid.

RS

Do you know ANYBODY who doesn't enjoy a good story with lots of drama? If God created us to always do good and live happy, boring lives forever, we would all miss out on the drama of this part of our existence. IF this life is all there is to our existence, then you are absolutely correct, God is twisted, warped, confused and pathetic. But if God designed things so that for the vast majority of our existence we lived in paradise, but we also had the benefit of looking back to our humble beginnings with sickness, sorrow, pain and suffering, our experience in Paradise would be forever heightened. You can't enjoy riches if all you've known are riches like the poor can enjoy riches. Why people fail to see God as the great storyteller of all time is beyond me. Yes, this life is the shadow world where nothing is as it should be PRECISELY so that in the world that is as it should be we can appreciate the difference.

The problem with law is that ignorance of the law is no excuse. There is no end to stories of people who have been wrongfully imprisoned or beaten or killed because they did something wrong and had no idea they were even doing it. The case of the American in Mexico right now who took a wrong turn and told the border guard that he had guns in the truck comes to mind. Again, you can't appreciate true justice in a world of righteousness unless you've experienced a world of error-prone maniacs enforcing our so-called laws. Are you starting to see how this God works? Short-term pain...long-term gain.
Read my book, Hell Is Not the Issue (free)
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/392349
satis5d

United States Minor Outlying Islands (um)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity