Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#38681  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Free wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Free wrote:

Consensus is not always right, and can be wrong for a certainty. That is true with any consensus, including a consensus in the scientific community.

However, wrong or right, a consensus represents a body of professional authorities in every academic situation, and in every academic situation the consensus is respected and agreed with by the vast majority of interested and educated parties.

So, if you don't think a consensus holds water, then you must acknowledge that the consensus in the scientific community also cannot always be right on such things as evolution, the Big Bang, etc.

Are you prepared to doubt evolution based upon the consensus?

:dance:

What a fucking load of crap. Scraping the barrel now. Dont answer just keep on stating guff. What professional authorities are you appealing to?

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Well now, since the context demonstrates evolution, do you think it might be possible that I am appealing to the scientific community?

:crazy:

What for? Selling good rat oil? You are still avoiding all questions. YOU HAVE NOTHING

Well now, since you assert it, it must be true?

:lol:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38682  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:Bullshit. I respect the consensus if it is built upon convincing evidence, if it isn't, I challenge it.
Simple. If all of the experts of a field can't present any actual clear evidence for their consensus then it's nothing but a giant circle jerk and the field potentially bogus.

Whatever dude.

Just because you personally don't think that what has been presented in this thread is evidence, it in no way whatsoever disputes the fact that a consensus of professional historians collectively disagrees with you.

When a Christian disputes evolution, we all know he is clueless, don't we? How do we know? We know because the scientific community has reached a consensus based upon the evidence. And despite the fact that the fire-and-brimstone Christian will deny anything the scientific community has determined to be evidence, we will acknowledge the consensus of the scientific community because we respect their professionalism, experience, and vast knowledge.

The same should be true for professional historians, who combine numerous methods to present what best approximates the truth in regards to historical events. Just like the scientific community explains evolution, the consensus of historians provides a credible and plausible explanation of history.

So if you are going to judge a consensus of professionals, and challenge them, perhaps its best you understand what is involved in the historical method before you can posit an opinion that has any semblance of credulity?

:think:

My point stands. Your argument for authority is nothing but that, an argument from authority. A fallacy. Either the evidence can withstand criticism or it can't.
And I haven't said I don't agree with the historians.

Just let me educate you here, myther.

As mentioned earlier, all consensus' of professionals can indeed be wrong. Since I admitted that, then I am not arguing that because the consensus is in agreement, they absolutely must be correct.

Argument from authority, also authoritative argument and appeal to authority, is a common form of argument which leads to a logical fallacy when misused. When misused, It becomes fallacious to assert that the conclusion must be true.

However, it is a fallacious ad hominem argument to argue that a person (or consensus) presenting statements lacks authority and thus their arguments do not need to be considered.

More on Argument from Authority ...

In respect to a consensus, it is far more than just a singular authority, as it actually represents a Collective of Intelligence.

Collective intelligence is shared or group intelligence that emerges from the collaboration, collective efforts, and competition of many individuals and appears in consensus decision making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_intelligence

Now you know ...

I'm not a myther, as has been explained. And you're still ignoring my explanation on why mindlessly accepting every conensus is stupid. Stop the strawmanning, please.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38683  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Stein wrote:Is anyone here going to answer a perfectly reasonable question: Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Stein

Can you point to any unedited, reconstructed and original text?

Pointing at the bible again. You naughty boy. You know that has been edited, reconstructed and is absolutely not original.

You cant point to anything. How about all the other first century xtian writings.

See what you and Free want is just to play within your theistic playing field. Nothing else matters even it has been painfully explained to you the bible, the corner stone of anything you have is nothing but fairy tales.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38684  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 3:01 pm

And just to further elaborate, so there's no more room for selective reading:
I accept the consensus on evolution because I looked at the evidence it's based upon and found it convincing.
I don't accept the consensus on the historical Jesus (and hence remain on the fence), because I looked at the evidence and didn't find it convincing.

That's rational. Mindlessly accepting all consensus because of an appeal to authority is idiotic.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38685  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Two theists with nowhere to go the poor things. Nobody wants to believe them. All those horrid atheists.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Bye and remember to close the door after your arse.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38686  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
Free wrote:

Whatever dude.

Just because you personally don't think that what has been presented in this thread is evidence, it in no way whatsoever disputes the fact that a consensus of professional historians collectively disagrees with you.

When a Christian disputes evolution, we all know he is clueless, don't we? How do we know? We know because the scientific community has reached a consensus based upon the evidence. And despite the fact that the fire-and-brimstone Christian will deny anything the scientific community has determined to be evidence, we will acknowledge the consensus of the scientific community because we respect their professionalism, experience, and vast knowledge.

The same should be true for professional historians, who combine numerous methods to present what best approximates the truth in regards to historical events. Just like the scientific community explains evolution, the consensus of historians provides a credible and plausible explanation of history.

So if you are going to judge a consensus of professionals, and challenge them, perhaps its best you understand what is involved in the historical method before you can posit an opinion that has any semblance of credulity?

:think:

My point stands. Your argument for authority is nothing but that, an argument from authority. A fallacy. Either the evidence can withstand criticism or it can't.

As mentioned earlier, all consensus' of professionals can indeed be wrong. Since I admitted that, then I am not arguing that because the consensus is in agreement, they absolutely must be correct.

Argument from authority, also authoritative argument and appeal to authority, is a common form of argument which leads to a logical fallacy when misused. When misused, It becomes fallacious to assert that the conclusion must be true.

However, it is a fallacious ad hominem argument to argue that a person (or consensus) presenting statements lacks authority and thus their arguments do not need to be considered.

In respect to a consensus, it is far more than just a singular authority, as it actually represents a Collective of Intelligence.

Collective intelligence is shared or group intelligence that emerges from the collaboration, collective efforts, and competition of many individuals and appears in consensus decision making.

Now you know ...

And you're still ignoring my explanation on why mindlessly accepting every conensus is stupid. Stop the strawmanning, please.

Since you are ignoring the fact that I explicitly said that any and all consensus' from any academic community can indeed be wrong, then you are intentionally misrepresenting my position. Now, here is the definition of a stawman:

"A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

So, guess who is doing the strawmanning here? It certainly isn't me! :lol:

Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38687  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:09 pm

But you are telling fibs as always.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38688  Postby proudfootz » Apr 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Just like conclusively proving he was 100% historical, proving he was 100% mythical will never happen. History doesn't work that way.

All I am asking for is enough evidence from antiquity that demonstrates he was a myth- such as a couple people stating as such- that can be compared to and contests the evidence that demonstrates historicity.

It's a very reasonable request, since JMs make the positive claim that Jesus was a total myth.

Just do the math: 8000 verses in the NT, only about a half dozen can be twisted to suggest a real person.

The vast majority of the evidence is going against your beliefs, by about 1000 to 1.

:cheerdance:

Ohhh ... another fallacy!

This one is called the "Fallacy of Exclusion."

Definition:

Important evidence which would undermine an inductive argument is excluded from consideration. The requirement that all relevant information be included is called the "principle of total evidence".

Since you failed to include the non-canonical texts and other documents attesting to historicity,

GUILTY!

Try again, myther. I'm enjoying this.

Yes, for every verse you accept you exclude a thousand.

Add the apocryphal stuff and the odds are probably even worse! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to know that aside from being a world-class denialist, you're practicing the fallacy of exclusion.

:cheerdance:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38689  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:

Now you know ...

And you're still ignoring my explanation on why mindlessly accepting every conensus is stupid. Stop the strawmanning, please.

Since you are ignoring the fact that I explicitly said that any and all consensus' from any academic community can indeed be wrong, then you are intentionally misrepresenting my position. Now, here is the definition of a stawman:

"A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument."

What you said does not change the validity of my position nor was I strawmanning you. Read again. You're leaving crucial parts out. Reading comprehension isn't that hard. You can do it.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38690  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Scar wrote:And just to further elaborate, so there's no more room for selective reading:
I accept the consensus on evolution because I looked at the evidence it's based upon and found it convincing.
I don't accept the consensus on the historical Jesus (and hence remain on the fence), because I looked at the evidence and didn't find it convincing.

That's rational. Mindlessly accepting all consensus because of an appeal to authority is idiotic.

It's true, each of us can accept or reject whatever we choose in regards to any consensus. However, when I see people rejecting the consensus of historians, I really do not see much of a difference between them and the young earther who rejects the consensus of the scientific community on the issue of evolution.

But you know ... that's just my opinion.

:thumbup:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38691  Postby proudfootz » Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:Also it's consensus and consensus is always right and RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!

Consensus is not always right, and can be wrong for a certainty. That is true with any consensus, including a consensus in the scientific community.

However, wrong or right, a consensus represents a body of professional authorities in every academic situation, and in every academic situation the consensus is respected and agreed with by the vast majority of interested and educated parties.

So, if you don't think a consensus holds water, then you must acknowledge that the consensus in the scientific community also cannot always be right on such things as evolution, the Big Bang, etc.

Are you prepared to doubt evolution based upon the consensus?

What a fucking load of crap. Scraping the barrel now. Dont answer just keep on stating guff. What professional authorities are you appealing to?

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Golly, it looks like Free is probably afraid to cite his so-called authorities as they're probably bible school students whose work has already been long debunked.

Better to be vague and hope no one notices. :whistle:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38692  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:13 pm

He would like to a fallacy himself. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38693  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
Free wrote:

Now you know ...

What you said does not change the validity of my position nor was I strawmanning you. Read again. You're leaving crucial parts out. Reading comprehension isn't that hard. You can do it.

Nope, you stramanned me by misrepresenting my position on the consensus, despite the fact that I stated my position several times.

The reading comprehension issue is on your end, obviously.

Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38694  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:14 pm

He must be fit running around with those goal posts.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38695  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 3:14 pm

I did not.

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:And just to further elaborate, so there's no more room for selective reading:

It's true, each of us can accept or reject whatever we choose in regards to any consensus. However, when I see people rejecting the consensus of historians, I really do not see much of a difference between them and the young earther who rejects the consensus of the scientific community on the issue of evolution.

You have yet to present that convincing evidence that their consensus is based upon and you seem to be quite reluctant to even touch this crucial point. Why is that?

But, well if you're unable to defend your position and instead go on a smear campain, I've got nothing more to say. You've just destroyed the last bit of credibility you might have had.
Scar

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38696  Postby Stein » Apr 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Stein wrote:Is anyone here going to answer a perfectly reasonable question: Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Stein

Pointing at the bible again. You naughty boy.

I'm NOT pointing at the Bible here, YOU LIAR. I'm explicitly pointing to any NON-apologetic text. Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Answer. the. question.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38697  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Had? Did he ever have any?

When do theists have credibility? Just being theists is enough.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38698  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Stein wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Stein

Pointing at the bible again. You naughty boy.

I'm NOT pointing at the Bible here, YOU LIAR. I'm explicitly pointing to any NON-apologetic text. Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Answer. the. question.

Stein

Why should I. Jesus did not exist. Why should I look how about you getting of your arse and looking. I dont have to prove anything. You make the claim now justify it. Bring on the evidence Theist!

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38699  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Scar wrote:I did not.

Free wrote:

You have yet to present that convincing evidence that their consensus is based upon and you seem to be quite reluctant to even touch this crucial point. Why is that?

But, well if you're unable to defend your position and instead go on a smear campain, I've got nothing more to say. You've just destroyed the last bit of credibility you might have had.

Oh so you want to know what the consensus thinks? You don't know how to Google it? The consensus is so extensive that it would be silly to attempt to post it all here.

Simply Google it. Here's the link:

Consensus on Jesus

We've had the Jesus Seminar, the Jesus Project, as well as numerous gatherings of history professionals discussing this subject many times over the years.

Have fun with that.

Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38700  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 3:25 pm

We've had the Jesus Seminar, the Jesus Project, as well as numerous gatherings of xtian theists discussing this subject many times over the years.

FIFY

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity