Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#38901  Postby MS2 » May 02, 2015 4:36 pm

IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
... all that most sceptics are saying is that the bible, which is really the only primary source for even the bare mention of any messiah called "Jesus", is simply not good enough as a credible or reliable source for what it's anonymous late writers said about other peoples beliefs in a supernatural scion of God ... and not good enough by a very long way.

I don't want to enter a debate about who has tried to do what to who in this interminable debate. But I do want to say that I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

Well done. I agree entirely with your post. Even your suggestion that I describe people like me as HJ-sceptics, that's also fine by me (if I can remember that each time!).

:thumbup:

It is probably worth developing this to note there are at least two discussions going on which often get confused, leading to people talking at cross-purposes:
Discussion 1: HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ, where 'MJ' constitutes a positive assertion that the Jesus figure was thought by the first believers to have been non-human; while MJers think the evidence goes the other way
Discussion 2: HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely (to some level of confidence that differs among HJers) that there was a man called Jesus whose life and death were factors (by no means the only ones) in the beginning of the movement that became Christianity; HJ-skeptics, on the other hand, say there is insufficient evidence to support this
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38902  Postby MS2 » May 02, 2015 4:55 pm

To develop what I say above about Discussion 2 a bit further, I think much of the disagreement actually arises from a question that rarely gets discussed. That question is what confidence level might be acceptable. HJ-skeptics seem to want it set far more stringently than HJers do.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38903  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 5:38 pm

MS2 wrote:To develop what I say above about Discussion 2 a bit further, I think much of the disagreement actually arises from a question that rarely gets discussed. That question is what confidence level might be acceptable. HJ-skeptics seem to want it set far more stringently than HJers do.

Your statement is simply fallacious.

There is no disagreement whatsoever about "confidence levels".

People who argue for an historical Jesus have NO evidence from antiquity [at any level] and then introduce strawman claims.

People who argue for an historical Jesus should have PRESENTED the evidence from antiquity but instead use the very NT which they openly discredit as an historical source.

It is already known that NO contemporary source of antiquity identified a character called Jesus of Nazareth who was worshiped as a God by Jews.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38904  Postby Free » May 02, 2015 6:23 pm

dejuror wrote:
MS2 wrote:To develop what I say above about Discussion 2 a bit further, I think much of the disagreement actually arises from a question that rarely gets discussed. That question is what confidence level might be acceptable. HJ-skeptics seem to want it set far more stringently than HJers do.

People who argue for an historical Jesus have NO evidence from antiquity [at any level] and then introduce strawman claims.

People who argue for an historical Jesus should have PRESENTED the evidence from antiquity but instead use the very NT which they openly discredit as an historical source.

It is already known that NO contemporary source of antiquity identified a character called Jesus of Nazareth who was worshiped as a God by Jews.

This continuous bullshit of yours got old the moment you made your first post on this forum. Every last argument against historicity that you have ever posted has been conclusively demonstrated to fall into one of the following categories:

1. Absolutely false.
2. Assertion with no evidence.
3. Extremely low or non existent probabilities.
4. Fallacious logic.
5. Completely refutable.

What you have also failed to do is prove any of your positive claims about Jesus Mythicism, nor have you actually EVER refuted any historical argument with any evidence whatsoever.

Assertions just don't cut it in the world of history, and it's obvious to me you are wayyyyy outside the world of history.

But please continue, I could use a few more laughs.

:dance:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38905  Postby MS2 » May 02, 2015 8:13 pm

dejuror wrote:

Just out of interest, do you ever enter into normal discussion with anyone online? Do you know how to do it?
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38906  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 10:30 pm

dejuror wrote:Your statement is simply fallacious.

MS2 wrote:Just out of interest, do you ever enter into normal discussion with anyone online? Do you know how to do it?

Just out of interest, can you present the evidence from antiquity for an historical Jesus of Nazareth?

Jesus of Nazareth in the NT is the Son of a Ghost and God Creator from the beginning.

I have no interest in your strawman claims.

You had the simplest task--present credible contemporary evidence from antiquity to support the HJ argument.

You cannot do so.

Manuscripts with stories of Jesus of Nazareth describe the character as a Ghost born Myth God or a TRANSFIGURING water walker BEFORE he resurrected and ascended in a cloud.

Jesus of Nazareth is a PURE [HOLY] UNBLEMISHED Myth in the Childish Foolish fiction fables called Gospels and the Pauline Corpus.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38907  Postby MS2 » May 02, 2015 11:00 pm

dejuror wrote:

MS2 wrote:Just out of interest, do you ever enter into normal discussion with anyone online? Do you know how to do it?

Just out of interest, can you present the evidence from antiquity for an historical Jesus of Nazareth?

Jesus of Nazareth in the NT is the Son of a Ghost and God Creator from the beginning.

You had the simplest task--present credible contemporary evidence from antiquity to support the HJ argument.

You cannot do so.

Manuscripts with stories of Jesus of Nazareth describe the character as a Ghost born Myth God or a TRANSFIGURING water walker BEFORE he resurrected and ascended in a cloud.

Jesus of Nazareth is a PURE [HOLY] UNBLEMISHED Myth in the Childish Foolish fiction fables called Gospels and the Pauline Corpus.

Yeah, it's as I thought.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38908  Postby dejuror » May 02, 2015 11:21 pm

dejuror wrote:

Free wrote:

This continuous bullshit of yours got old the moment you made your first post on this forum. Every last argument against historicity that you have ever posted has been conclusively demonstrated to fall into one of the following categories:

1. Absolutely false.
2. Assertion with no evidence.
3. Extremely low or non existent probabilities.
4. Fallacious logic.
5. Completely refutable.

What you have also failed to do is prove any of your positive claims about Jesus Mythicism, nor have you actually EVER refuted any historical argument with any evidence whatsoever.

Assertions just don't cut it in the world of history, and it's obvious to me you are wayyyyy outside the world of history.

But please continue, I could use a few more laughs.

:dance:

You should be the very last person to ask anyone here for evidence after you OPENLY fabricated a story that Jesus was born AFTER Mary Raped BY Panthera.

You can't prove Jesus was born.

You can't prove that Mary was raped by Panthera.

You OBVIOUSLY have ZERO evidence of an historical Jesus so was FORCED to fabricate your fiction Jesus.

We have evidence from antiquity that Jesus of Nazareth was a MYTH/Fiction character.

Manuscripts of gLuke, gJohn and the Pauline Corpus have been found. Papyri 75 and 46 do describe Jesus as a Ghost Born God and Creator from the beginning, the Lord from heaven who Transfigured after he walked on WATER.

I have NO interest in your 21st century Fiction stories of Jesus based on your imagination and the discredited Christian Bible.

The historical Jesus, a mere man with a human father, has been REJECTED as Fiction since the 2nd century
dejuror

Print view this post

#38909  Postby RealityRules » May 02, 2015 11:37 pm

MS2 wrote: ... I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general-outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

I think elaborating the terminology is good, though I find it hard to see how people are skeptical of an HJ could "happen to think the evidence points to an HJ".

It would seem best to ascribe probabilities* to these positions and I would think that -

Probability(HJ) + Probability(MJ) = 1

eg. P(MJ) = 0.4; therefore P(HJ) = 1 - 0.4 ... ie. 0.6

or P(HJ) = P(MJ) = 0.5 ... so P(HJ) + P(MJ) = 1

Another possibility is another category such as P(indeterminate), but that seems to be a cop-out.

* edit to add: as MS2 pointed out in a later post (#38933); what I am proposing is more a [subjective] 'scale of confidence'.

IanS wrote:
Well done. I agree entirely with your post. Even your suggestion that I describe people like me as HJ-sceptics, that's also fine by me (if I can remember that each time!).

Another option for terminology is "HJ-agnostic/s"

MS2 wrote: :thumbup:

It is probably worth developing this to note there are at least two discussions going on which often get confused, leading to people talking at cross-purposes:

Discussion 1: HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ, where 'MJ' constitutes a positive assertion that the Jesus figure was thought by the first believers to have been non-human; while MJers think the evidence goes the other way

Discussion 2: HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely (to some level of confidence that differs among HJers) that there was a man called Jesus whose life and death were factors (by no means the only ones) in the beginning of the movement that became Christianity; HJ-skeptics, on the other hand, say there is insufficient evidence to support this

The problem with Discussion 1 is trying to ascribe a general/blanket position to first-believers: there would have been various communities of 'first-believers' in quite different locations. [see next post].
Last edited by RealityRules on May 03, 2015 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38910  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 12:30 am

MS2 wrote:

Another factor might be if non-canonical apocryphal/gnostic/docetic works can show if

a/ there was widespread belief in the 1st and 2nd centuries that the Jesus figure was non-human; or

b/ there was widespread belief in a non-human Christ without much, if any, mention of Jesus.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38911  Postby Oldskeptic » May 03, 2015 12:53 am

dejuror wrote:

Strawman alert. Jesus doesn't have to be a Jesus from Nazareth. The Nazareth part comes from scripture. Something that I thought we were trying to avoid. Where in this discussion did you find anyone promoting a Jesus from of Nazareth as fact?

Who here has contradicted what the gospels claim is what the gospels claim?

Only in perpetuating your own.

Done and did.

You cannot do so.

Manuscripts with stories of Jesus of Nazareth describe the character as a Ghost born Myth God or a TRANSFIGURING water walker BEFORE he resurrected and ascended in cloud.

You forget that these same manuscripts also describe Jesus as a man. And you also ignore that they do talk of Jesus as a man that did all of these things.

Tell me who here is claiming that the Nazareth epithet is accurate? It's just one more of your dishonest strawmen of yours.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38912  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2015 1:07 am

RealityRules wrote:
I think elaborating the terminology is good, though I find it hard to see how people are skeptical of an HJ could "happen to think the evidence points to an HJ".

It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions and I would think that -

Another possibility is another category such as P(indeterminate), but that seems to be a cop-out.

Do you know what terminology is used for people who argue against an historical Satan, the Angel Gabriel, Adam and Eve?

In the NT Satan was with Jesus at the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem, the Angel Gabriel was in conversation with a Virgin called Mary in Galilee. In the book called Genesis, Adam and Eve were the first created human beings.

The problem is not terminology but evidence--historical data.

There are multiple characters mentioned in the NT like Pontius Pilate, John the Baptist, Tiberius, King Aretas, King Herod the Great, Gamaliel, Jesus of Nazareth, Satan and the Angel Gabriel but there is simply no corroborative evidence for Jesus of Nazareth, Satan, and the Angel Gabriel.

Satan, the Angel Gabriel and Jesus have NO history.

Christians of antiquity admitted their Jesus was the product of a Ghost and God Creator.

The terminlogy for Jesus is a MYTH.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38913  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2015 1:22 am

dejuror wrote:

Oldskeptic wrote:
Strawman alert. Jesus doesn't have to be a Jesus from Nazareth. The Nazareth part comes from scripture. Something that I thought we were trying to avoid. Where in this discussion did you find anyone promoting a Jesus from of Nazareth as fact?

what a bizarre statement. You don't know that Jesus in the NT also comes from scripture.

dejuror wrote:Jesus of Nazareth in the NT is the Son of a Ghost and God Creator from the beginning.

Oldskeptic wrote:Who here has contradicted what the gospels claim is what the gospels claim?

You are just wasting time on this thread. An HJ, a mere man with a human father, contradicts the claims of the Gospels.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38914  Postby Oldskeptic » May 03, 2015 3:24 am

dejuror wrote:
dejuror wrote:

Oldskeptic wrote:

what a bizarre statement. You don't know that Jesus in the NT also comes from scripture.

The bizarre statement here is "Jesus in the NT also comes from scripture." As if anyone here didn't realize that the New Testament is scripture. What is a point of contention is scripture.

dejuror wrote:Jesus of Nazareth in the NT is the Son of a Ghost and God Creator from the beginning.

Who here is debating what the New Testament says? I thought we weren't supposed to be using scripture as evidence.

Oldskeptic wrote:Who here has contradicted what the gospels claim is what the gospels claim?

You are just wasting time on this thread. An HJ, a mere man with a human father, contradicts the claims of the Gospels.

And that is the most bizarre claim of all here; A real real man contradicts scripture? Are you suddenly a Christian apologist? Who cares about outlandish claims made in scripture? The point is stripping away the myth from the man.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38915  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2015 5:47 am

Oldskeptic wrote:

The bizarre statement here is "Jesus in the NT also comes from scripture." As if anyone here didn't realize that the New Testament is scripture. What is a point of contention is scripture.

You seem to have severe problems with your memory. Have forgotten that you claimed "the Nazareth part comes from scripture"?

The Nazareth part comes from scripture.

Jesus comes from Nazareth.

Jesus of Nazareth comes from scripture.

Jesus of Nazareth from scripture was Born of a Ghost.

Please, don't even attempt to argue because you don't know and don't care if Jesus existed.

You have NO known contemporary or credible historical data for Jesus of Nazareth.

In addition, ALL existing NT scripture is from the 2nd century or later.

Jesus of Nazareth was FABRICATED from the 2nd century or later scripture.

Oldskeptic wrote:And that is the most bizarre claim of all here; A real real man contradicts scripture? Are you suddenly a Christian apologist? Who cares about outlandish claims made in scripture? The point is stripping away the myth from the man.

You exposed your extreme lack of knowledge of writings of antiquity. You don't have a clue.

Please, just go and read "Against Heresies" attributed to Irenaeus, "Refutation of All Heresies" attributed to Hippolytus and the Creed of the Church.

The historical Jesus, a mere man with a human father CONTRADICTS the NT and the Creed of the Church.

The very same people who claim Jesus was a mere man with a human father USE the very same Christian Bible Scriptures as evidence for an historical Jesus.

Who use Galatians 1.19 to argue that Jesus God's Son was really a human being?

Please, you have nothing to contribute to this thread but fallacies.

How in the world can you strip away the fiction/myth from a fiction/myth character and end up with history?

It should be obvious that you end of with NOTHING.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38916  Postby Oldskeptic » May 03, 2015 7:03 am

dejuror wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:

You seem to have severe problems with your memory. Have forgotten that you claimed "the Nazareth part comes from scripture"?

More like I pointed it out to you. Because you don't seem to get it that where Jesus is supposed to have come from in scripture has little to do with where he may have really came from.

The Nazareth part comes from scripture.

Jesus comes from Nazareth.

Jesus of Nazareth comes from scripture.

Jesus of Nazareth from scripture was Born of a Ghost.

Are you under the impression that proving scripture wrong proves your case of a purely mythical Jesus?

Please, don't even attempt to argue because you don't know and don't care if Jesus existed.

Doesn't mean that I don't care what lies and dis-information people like you spread about.

You have NO known contemporary or credible historical data for Jesus of Nazareth.

Because you wish it away does not mean that credible historic evidence doesn't exist.

In addition, ALL existing NT scripture is from the 2nd century or later.

Nope, physical manuscripts do not equal writings.

Jesus of Nazareth was FABRICATED from the 2nd century or later scripture.

So you keep saying, when are you going to present credible evidence that supports you claim?

Oldskeptic wrote:And that is the most bizarre claim of all here; A real real man contradicts scripture? Are you suddenly a Christian apologist? Who cares about outlandish claims made in scripture? The point is stripping away the myth from the man.

You exposed your extreme lack of knowledge of writings of antiquity. You don't have a clue.

Please, just go and read "Against Heresies" attributed to Irenaeus, "Refutation of All Heresies" attributed to Hippolytus and the Creed of the Church.

The historical Jesus, a mere man with a human father CONTRADICTS the NT and the Creed of the Church.

Woah there bucko! You're coming off like the Pope on a caffeine high.

The very same people who claim Jesus was a mere man with a human father USE the very same Christian Bible Scriptures as evidence for an historical Jesus.

Who are they? Not me. Or anyone I know of. But maybe you could point some of these phantoms of yours out to me.

Who use Galatians 1.19 to argue that Jesus God's Son was really a human being?

Galatians 1:19 mentions James as the bother of the lord. Josephus 20:9 supports that. Scripture makes the claim, Josephus is part of the evidence.

Please, you have nothing to contribute to this thread but fallacies.

Says the man with fingers red from picking cherries and tongue black from lying.

Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38917  Postby IanS » May 03, 2015 8:09 am

MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
... all that most sceptics are saying is that the bible, which is really the only primary source for even the bare mention of any messiah called "Jesus", is simply not good enough as a credible or reliable source for what it's anonymous late writers said about other peoples beliefs in a supernatural scion of God ... and not good enough by a very long way.

I don't want to enter a debate about who has tried to do what to who in this interminable debate. But I do want to say that I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

:thumbup:

In the interests of finding some common ground and encouraging polite constructive discussion, I would like to agree with what you say about those two separate discussions ... but after a moments reflection I don't think I can actually agree with that.

The main reason is that although you say that "HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ" (that's Discussion1), and that "HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely ..." (i.e. Discussion 2), the fact is there is actually no evidence of Jesus himself. None at all. What is being called evidence of Jesus, is in fact only evidence of religious beliefs written in the bible. But those beliefs written in the bible are actually un-evidenced, i.e. there is no actual evidence to support those beliefs in respect of a human Jesus.

Those beliefs are also anonymously written (and written centuries later), and the unknown authors never mention any person who ever credibly gave them any such Jesus stories. That is - nobody who ever claimed to meet Jesus, ever wrote to say they had given their stories to the gospel writers, and nor did those unknown informants ever themselves write to confirm they had ever said any such thing about knowing Jesus.

The evidence said to be for a HJ, is only un-evidenced faith belief in religious OT prophecy.

And against that, as I set out in detail a few pages back, there is if course a huge mass of unarguable evidence of actual proven fact, to show that what was written about Jesus in those gospels was untrue fiction, and that the gospel writers were using the OT as their source of Jesus stories (which is exactly what Paul said he had done).

So that’s the problem with HJ belief - zero actual genuine evidence for him, but now in modern times (since about 1800 onwards, as set out in detail in my earlier post) a great deal of evidence against the veracity and reliability of the bible as a source for what it says about Jesus.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38918  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 8:22 am

dejuror wrote:Just out of interest, can you present the evidence from antiquity for an historical Jesus of Nazareth?
Oldskeptic wrote:Strawman alert. Jesus doesn't have to be a Jesus from Nazareth. The Nazareth part comes from scripture. Something that I thought we were trying to avoid. Where in this discussion did you find anyone promoting a Jesus from of Nazareth as fact?

That's shifting the goal-posts and seeking to look at HJ through rose-tinted glasses.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38919  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 03, 2015 8:55 am

Now we are just looking for a Jesus? Given up on the Jesus of Nazareth?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38920  Postby IanS » May 03, 2015 9:32 am

RealityRules wrote:
MS2 wrote: ... I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general-outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions and I would think that -

The problem with any idea of trying to "firm things up" by attempting to determine some reasonable mathematical probabilities, which has been tried before many times in HJ threads on various forums, is that it's self defeating because it's inevitably completely subjective as to what anyone assigns as a probability number ... that defeats the entire purpose of trying to bring mathematical accuracy into the discussions.

But as I pointed out before, the established legal precedent, which is entirely appropriate in the case of such HJ disputes, is in fact more rigorous and much more robust anyway (and I say that as an ex mathematical-physicist/theoretician who would normally prefer the maths/science route over a legal approach every time). The point about making the legal analogy is that whilst opponents will try to claim that we are not in a court of law and that hence we should not compare our discussions to what happens in jury trials, we most certainly are in exactly the same position as a jury trying to asses what HJ writers and HJ-sceptic writers have historically presented as the evidence for or against the claimed existence of Jesus.

And the point about legal precedent is that it has long since established that hearsay evidence is rarely admissible before a jury, and never admissible as anonymous hearsay from witnesses who could never even appear before the court. That is legally established in every educated modern society, as not fit to be called "evidence" at all.

And yet that is precisely what we are being told we must accept as evidence in the case of Jesus. That is, to spell it out (again) for the sake of HJ believers here - what is being called evidence of a human Jesus is only anonymously produced hearsay writing from unknown gospel writers who never named their source of any such stories. That alone makes it anonymous hearsay which would be legally unfit even to be called evidence and unfit to be put before any jury.

And in addition to that utterly hopeless position (long since decided as a matter of law in the USA, UK, all of Europe and all other educated modern nations), that biblical writing has now also been shown by modern science to have been (1) constantly claiming untrue fictions on virtually every page, and (2) to have been taking it's Jesus stories from the OT. Not to mention also - to have been written centuries after the claimed events, subject to later copyists alteration, shown not to have actually been written (as it was once believed) by any personal witnesses named Mark, Mathew, Luke and John, and also shown not to have been four independent sources (as once believed) but in fact all copying from one-another.

It might be the case that despite what I say above, nevertheless that is the best "evidence” we have, even though it would be ruled completely inadmissible as evidence in any modern Jury trial. And it might be said that even apart from biblical studies, some actual historians might sometimes be forced to work with such poor or non-existent evidence, trying to draw conclusions from that. Well that may be true for tentative ideas discussed in secular issues of academic history. But we are not here doing that! We are not in an academic university “ivory tower” forced to debate notional possibilities from such awful evidence. Instead we are standing outside of any such ivory tower self-indulgent highly subjective discussions, and trying quite independently from academia to decide if material like that is fit to be presented as genuine “evidence” of a Jesus figure for whom there is actually no such evidence beyond 1st century religious beliefs drawn from OT prophecies about a supernatural god-messiah.

If one day some actual evidence of Jesus does turn up, then it might be reasonable to say that the newly discovered evidence does suggest he was probably a real person. But we are not in that position. At present, and despite literally millions of claims of such evidence, in fact there is zero such evidence of Jesus. And that is the problem in the HJ case - zero evidence for, and in fact a huge mass of proven evidence against the HJ/biblical writing.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity