Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#38921  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 9:33 am

RealityRules wrote:
MS2 wrote: ... I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general-outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

I think elaborating the terminology is good, though I find it hard to see how people are skeptical of an HJ could "happen to think the evidence points to an HJ".

I've underlined the bit you changed about what I said.

It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions

I think there are only a few like things that you can reliably assign such probabilities to in history ( perhaps things like population statistics). But if you are seriously proposing this, how about giving it a go in respect of your views of MJ?

The problem with Discussion 1 is trying to ascribe a general/blanket position to first-believers: there would have been various communities of 'first-believers' in quite different locations. [see next post].

Not really. You are talking about first-believers in various Christ figures. Discussion 1 is about first-believers in one specific figure called Jesus. Clearly it's a possibility that there were groups of believers in various Christs ( and/or a generalised Christ- figure). But at some point ( on your view) one of those groups must have attached the name Jesus, and they would have been the first Jesus-believers.

[Edited bolloxed quotes!]
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38922  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:01 am

MS2 wrote:
RealityRules wrote:
MS2 wrote: ... I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general-outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

I think elaborating the terminology is good, though I find it hard to see how people are skeptical of an HJ could "happen to think the evidence points to an HJ".

Huh? I used "an HJ" b/c you did; as I underlined in your passage.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38923  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:06 am

RealityRules wrote:It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions
MS2 wrote:
But if you are seriously proposing this, how about giving it a go in respect of your views of MJ?

Huh??! I did - notice my reference to "these positions" ie. plural.

The full passage -
RealityRules wrote:It would seem best to ascribe probabilities* to these positions and I would think that -

Probability(HJ) + Probability(MJ) = 1

eg. P(MJ) = 0.4; therefore P(HJ) = 1 - 0.4 ... ie. 0.6

or P(HJ) = P(MJ) = 0.5 ... so P(HJ) + P(MJ) = 1

* edit to add: as MS2 pointed out in a later post (#38933); what I am proposing is more a [subjective] 'scale of confidence'.
Last edited by RealityRules on May 03, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38924  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:13 am

RealityRules wrote:
The problem with Discussion 1 is trying to ascribe a general/blanket position to first-believers: there would have been various communities of 'first-believers' in quite different locations. [see next post].

MS2 wrote:Not really. You are talking about first-believers in various Christ figures. Discussion 1 is about first-believers in one specific figure called Jesus. Clearly it's a possibility that there were groups of believers in various Christs ( and/or a generalised Christ- figure). But at some point ( on your view) one of those groups must have attached the name Jesus, and they would have been the first Jesus-believers.

Huh??! No. I am talking about "various communities of 'first-believers' in quite different locations" ie. spatio-geographic disparity.

Even if one group ' "attached" the name Jesus', to become "the first Jesus-believers", that would then create a point of difference with groups in *other locations*, until they believed the same thing, and it is likely there were, early-on, various transmissions and interpretations of the early-nature of narrated early-Jesus.

Your point about *various "Christs" * is also valid, though.
Last edited by RealityRules on May 03, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38925  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 10:20 am

IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
I don't want to enter a debate about who has tried to do what to who in this interminable debate. But I do want to say that I think it is legitimate for you to argue simply that the evidence is not good enough for HJ, and I want to say that taking that position does not make you an MJer. I don't agree with your argument, but that is a separate matter from acknowledging that your position is different from the MJ one.

(By the same token, it might be helpful if you didn't describe your position as the one held by 'the skeptics', as plenty of people who regard themselves as skeptical in general outlook happen to think the evidence points to an HJ. Perhaps you could say 'HJ-skeptics'?)

Well done. I agree entirely with your post. Even your suggestion that I describe people like me as HJ-sceptics, that's also fine by me (if I can remember that each time!).

:thumbup:

It is probably worth developing this to note there are at least two discussions going on which often get confused, leading to people talking at cross-purposes:

Discussion 1: HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ, where 'MJ' constitutes a positive assertion that the Jesus figure was thought by the first believers to have been non-human; while MJers think the evidence goes the other way

Discussion 2: HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely (to some level of confidence that differs among HJers) that there was a man called Jesus whose life and death were factors (by no means the only ones) in the beginning of the movement that became Christianity; HJ-skeptics, on the other hand, say there is insufficient evidence to support this

In the interests of finding some common ground and encouraging polite constructive discussion, I would like to agree with what you say about those two separate discussions ... but after a moments reflection I don't think I can actually agree with that.

The main reason is that although you say that "HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ" (that's Discussion1), and that "HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely ..." (i.e. Discussion 2), the fact is there is actually no evidence of Jesus himself.
Actually, you still could agree with me, because what I offered was a neutral description. In those paragraphs I didn't claim HJers were correct.

None at all. What is being called evidence of Jesus, is in fact only evidence of religious beliefs written in the bible. But those beliefs written in the bible are actually un-evidenced, i.e. there is no actual evidence to support those beliefs in respect of a human Jesus.

Those beliefs are also anonymously written (and written centuries later), and the unknown authors never mention any person who ever credibly gave them any such Jesus stories. That is - nobody who ever claimed to meet Jesus, ever wrote to say they had given their stories to the gospel writers, and nor did those unknown informants ever themselves write to confirm they had ever said any such thing about knowing Jesus.

The evidence said to be for a HJ, is only un-evidenced faith belief in religious OT prophecy.

And against that, as I set out in detail a few pages back, there is if course a huge mass of unarguable evidence of actual proven fact, to show that what was written about Jesus in those gospels was untrue fiction, and that the gospel writers were using the OT as their source of Jesus stories (which is exactly what Paul said he had done).

I know that's what you think. I don't agree with you, for reasons already set out. I'm not going to set them out again, as you will no doubt just reassert your implacable position once more.

So that’s the problem with HJ belief - zero actual genuine evidence for him, but now in modern times (since about 1800 onwards, as set out in detail in my earlier post) a great deal of evidence against the veracity and reliability of the bible as a source for what it says about Jesus.

As I say, I know this is what you think. You've said it loads of times already. I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Last edited by MS2 on May 03, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38926  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 10:26 am

RealityRules wrote:
MS2 wrote:
RealityRules wrote:

Huh? I used "an HJ" b/c you did; as I underlined in your passage.

I said HJers who are skeptical 'in general outlook'. Clearly I wasn't talking about the HJ skeptics in that sentence.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38927  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:28 am

RealityRules wrote:
It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions [of HJ and MJ] and I would think that -

Another possibility is another category such as P(indeterminate), but that seems to be a cop-out.
IanS wrote:
The problem with any idea of trying to "firm things up" by attempting to determine some reasonable mathematical probabilities, which has been tried before many times in HJ threads on various forums, is that it's self defeating because it's inevitably completely subjective as to what anyone assigns as a probability number ... that defeats the entire purpose of trying to bring mathematical accuracy into the discussions.

Yes and No. Semi-quantifying is OK, even subjectively; and may be a good thing for us to do individually*.

eg. I am, let's say, P(HJ) of 0.05; P(MJ) of 0.80 [and P(indeterminateJ) of 0.15 (total P =1.0)].

* edit to add: as MS2 pointed out in a later post (#38933); what I am proposing is more a [subjective] 'scale of confidence'.

IanS wrote:But as I pointed out before, the established legal precedent, which is entirely appropriate in the case of such HJ disputes, is in fact more rigorous and much more robust anyway (and I say that as an ex mathematical-physicist/theoretician who would normally prefer the maths/science route over a legal approach every time). The point about making the legal analogy is that, whilst opponents will try to claim that we are not in a court of law, and that hence we should not compare our discussions to what happens in jury trials, we most certainly are in exactly the same position as a jury trying to assess what HJ writers and HJ-sceptic writers have historically presented as the evidence for or against the claimed existence of Jesus.

And the point about legal precedent is that it has long since established that hearsay evidence is rarely admissible before a jury, and never admissible as anonymous hearsay from witnesses who could never even appear before the court. That is legally established in every educated modern society, as not fit to be called "evidence" at all.

And yet that is precisely what we are being told we must accept as evidence in the case of Jesus. That is, to spell it out (again) for the sake of HJ believers here - what is being called evidence of a human Jesus is only anonymously produced hearsay writing from unknown gospel writers who never named their source of any such stories. That alone makes it anonymous hearsay which would be legally unfit even to be called evidence and unfit to be put before any jury ...

Sure; yet we can take both approaches.

Your point about the inadmissibility (or poor admissibility) of hearsay is, of course, pertinent; especially anonymous hearsay..
Last edited by RealityRules on May 03, 2015 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38928  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 10:32 am

RealityRules wrote:
RealityRules wrote:It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions
MS2 wrote:
But if you are seriously proposing this, how about giving it a go in respect of your views of MJ?

Huh??! I did - notice my reference to "these positions" ie. plural.

The full passage -
RealityRules wrote:It would seem best to ascribe probabilities to these positions and I would think that -

You didn't actually assign probabilities ( unless you were serious that HJ is 0.6!). You just gave an illustration of how it might work. I'm saying: try assigning probabilities ( and of course show how you arrived at them)
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38929  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:36 am

MS2 wrote:You didn't actually assign probabilities ( unless you were serious that HJ is 0.6!). You just gave an illustration of how it might work. I'm saying: try assigning probabilities ( and of course show how you arrived at them)

I find it hard to see how one can assign probabilities, other than subjectively (ie. not by formula), as I did two posts up from this one: #38927
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38930  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:39 am

As far as " HJ is 0.6" - I was using an example and, by way of that example, acknowledging someone might, subjectively, have that position.

Of course, Richard Carrier thinks he can use Bayes Theorem
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38931  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 10:45 am

RealityRules wrote:
RealityRules wrote:

MS2 wrote:Not really. You are talking about first-believers in various Christ figures. Discussion 1 is about first-believers in one specific figure called Jesus. Clearly it's a possibility that there were groups of believers in various Christs ( and/or a generalised Christ- figure). But at some point ( on your view) one of those groups must have attached the name Jesus, and they would have been the first Jesus-believers.

Huh??! No. I am talking about "various communities of 'first-believers' in quite different locations" ie. spatio-geographic disparity.

Even if one group ' "attached" the name Jesus', to become "the first Jesus-believers", that would then create a point of difference with groups in *other locations*, until they believed the same thing, and it is likely there were, early-on, various transmissions and interpretations of the early-nature of narrated early-Jesus.

I know that's what you are talking about. That's why I worded it as I did, to be inclusive of you view.

Your point about *various "Christs" * is also valid, though.

Thanks!

What is this about? -
MS2 wrote:[Edited bolloxed quotes!]

The fact you've bolloxed comprehension of my quotes?

No. I was explaining that I had edited the quotes that had gone wrong in my post.

It's frightening how much misunderstanding there is.
Last edited by MS2 on May 03, 2015 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38932  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 10:50 am

ok, let's deleted the refs to 'bolloxed quotes': I have in my posts (and will delete this one too). Regards.
Last edited by RealityRules on May 03, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38933  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2015 10:57 am

RealityRules wrote:
MS2 wrote:You didn't actually assign probabilities ( unless you were serious that HJ is 0.6!). You just gave an illustration of how it might work. I'm saying: try assigning probabilities ( and of course show how you arrived at them)

I find it hard to see how one can assign probabilities, other than subjectively (ie. not by formula), as I did two posts up from this one: #38927

If they are subjective then they aren't probabilities. I think you are talking about a scale of confidence or something like that.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38934  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2015 11:02 am

MS2 wrote:If they are subjective then they aren't probabilities. I think you are talking about a scale of confidence or something like that.

Yes, good point; and more appropriate categorization.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#38935  Postby Free » May 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Listed below is a review of Richard Carrier's book, "Proving History" which employs the mathematical formula known as Bayes’s Theorem. This review was done by fellow atheist Ian Millington, who just so happens to be a trained scientist with a PhD in the mathematics of evolution, but also holds an undergraduate degree in theology from the University of Birmingham, UK – a secular theology school.

A Mathematical Review of “Proving History” by Richard Carrier

by Ian Millington

This is a review of Carrier’s book from purely a mathematical perspective, the historical merit has been reviewed elsewhere. Given the primary audience of this blog, and the book, however, I will review the mathematics in fairly nontechnical terms, though I will assume some knowledge of probability theory.

Proving History is the first book of a pair on the topic of whether there was a historical figure of Jesus, written by independent scholar Carrier (who describes himself as a historian and philosopher), funded philanthropically by members of an online atheist group. It sets up a thesis based on using probability theory to reason about historical evidence. In particular, Carrier focuses on what he calls Bayes’s Theorem as the fundamental underlying process of doing history.

I will be unable to deal with every mathematical problem in the book in a short review, so will limit myself to issues arising from the first mathematical chapter. The issues below are not mitigated later in the book. Chapter three introduces Bayes’s theorem (BT) as:

which is a confusing and unnecessarily complex form of the formula more easily stated as:

While Carrier devotes a lot of ink to describing the terms of his longform BT, he nowhere attempts to describe what Bayes’s Theorem is doing. Why are we dividing probabilities? What does his denominator represent? He comes perilously close in chapter six (“Hard Stuff”), when talking about reference classes (which are quite closely related to the meaning of the denominator), but doesn't try to bring his audience to the level of competency to do anything more than take his word for these mathematical assertions.

So this unduly complex version of BT serves as a kind a magic black box:

the theorem was discovered in the late eighteenth century and has since been formally proved, mathematically and
logically, so we know its conclusions are always necessarily true—if its premises are true

In this Carrier allows himself to sidestep the question whether these necessarily true conclusions are meaningful in a particular domain. A discussion both awkward for his approach, and one surely that would have been more conspicuously missing if he’d have described why BT is the way it is.

The addition of background knowledge (b in his formula) in every term (the probability theory equivalent of writing x1 or +0) is highly idiosyncratic, though I’ve seen William Lane Craig use the same trick. Footnote 10 states that he made the choice so as to make explicit that background knowledge is always present. Clearly his audience can’t be expected to remember this basic tenet of probability theory.

Carrier correctly states that he is allowed to divide content between evidence and background knowledge any way he chooses, provided he is consistent. But then fails to do so throughout the book. For example on page 51 is an explanation of a ‘prior’ probability which explicitly includes the evidence in the prior, and therefore presumably in the background knowledge (emphasis original):

the measure of how ‘typical’ our proposed explanations is a measure of how often that kind of evidence has that kind of explanation. Formally this is called the prior” Going on to say (emphasis original): "For example, if someone claims they were struck by lightening five times … the prior probability they are telling the truth is not the probability of being struck by lightening five times, but the probability that someone in general who claims such a thing would be telling the truth."

This is not wrong, per se, but highly bizarre. One can certainly bundle the claim and the event like that, but if you do so Bayes’s Theorem cannot be used to calculate the probability that the claim is true based on that evidence. The quote is valid, but highly misleading in a book which is seeking to examine the historicity of documentary claims.

The final problem I want to focus on in chapter three, is the claim of BT special status. Carrier asserts it is both necessary and sufficient for any probabilistic reasoning about evidence. This is indicative of a confusion of nomenclature that permeates the book, at times he uses Bayes’s Theorem to mean probabilistic reasoning generally, then switches to using his idiosyncratic equation form (as if his claims about the former, therefore lead one to the latter necessarily), and at other times uses it as a stand in for Bayesian reasoning (to which I’ll return below).

If he had started from the definition of conditional probability,

he might have noticed that Bayes Theorem is merely an application of basic high school algebra to the definition, and there are many other such applications which would not give BT, but would be equally valid. Thus statements such as “any historical reasoning that cannot be validly described by Bayes’s Theorem is itself invalid” (which he claims he will show in the following chapter, but does not credibly do so) are laughable if understood to mean:

but have been argued for (though by no means to universal acceptance) if taken to mean the Bayesian interpretation of probabilities.

Carrier joins that latter debate too, in what he describes as a “cheeky” unification of Bayesian and Frequentist interpretations, but what reads as a misunderstanding of what the differences between Bayesian and Frequentist statistics are. Describing what this means is beyond my scope here, but I raise it because it is illustrative of a tone of arrogance and condescension that I consistently perceived throughout the book. To use the word “cheeky” to describe his “solution” of this important problem in mathematical philosophy, suggests he is aware of his hubris.

Perhaps cheeky indicates that his preposterous claim was made in jest. But given the lack of mathematical care demonstrated in the rest of the book, to me it came off as indicative of a DunningKruger effect around mathematics. I had many other problems with the mathematics presented in the book, I felt there were severe errors with his arguments a fortiori (i.e. a kind of reasoning from inequalities — the probability is no greater than X); and his settheoretic treatment of reference classes was likewise muddled (though in the latter case it coincidentally did not seem to result in incorrect conclusions). But in the interest of space, the above discussion gives a flavor of the issues I found throughout.

Conclusion:

Outside the chapters on the mathematics, I enjoyed the book, and found it entertaining to consider some of the historical content in mathematical terms. I strongly support mathematical literacy in the arts. History and biblical criticism would be better if historians had a better understanding of probability (among other topics: I do not think the lack of such knowledge is an important weakness in the field).

I am also rather sympathetic to many of Carrier’s opinions, and therefore predisposed towards his conclusions. So while I consistently despaired of his claims to have shown his results mathematically, I agree with some of the conclusions, and I think that gestalts in favor of those conclusions can be supported by probability theory.

But ultimately I think the book is disingenuous. It doesn't read as a mathematical treatment of the subject, and I can’t help but think that Carrier is using Bayes’s Theorem in much the same way that apologists such as William Lane Craig use it: to give their arguments a veneer of scientific rigor that they hope cannot be challenged by their generally more mathphobic peers. To enter an argument against the overwhelming scholarly consensus with “but I have math on my side, math that has been proven, proven!” seems transparent to me, more so when the quality of the math provided in no way matches the bombast.

I suspect this book was always designed to preach to the choir, and will not make much impact in scholarly circles. I hope
it doesn't become a blueprint for other similar scholarship, despite agreeing with many of its conclusions.

https://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/ ... d-carrier/

So there you have it folks, from a professional scientific mathematician with a Phd, who also just so happens to have an undergraduate degree in theology from the University of Birmingham, UK – a secular theology school.

Ian Millington is actually a fan of Richard Carrier (or was), and agrees with many of his conclusions. But when Carrier attempted to dupe his followers and his opponents with his math, Ian Millington could not ignore Richard Carrier false mathematics and intellectual dishonesty.

Therefore, those of you in the myther camp, take heed; Richard Carrier has been conclusively proven as using fraudulent arguments, fraudulent math, and fraudulent techniques in his campaign against the historical position on Jesus of Nazareth.
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38936  Postby IanS » May 03, 2015 5:44 pm

MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:

Well done. I agree entirely with your post. Even your suggestion that I describe people like me as HJ-sceptics, that's also fine by me (if I can remember that each time!).

:thumbup:

It is probably worth developing this to note there are at least two discussions going on which often get confused, leading to people talking at cross-purposes:

Discussion 1: HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ, where 'MJ' constitutes a positive assertion that the Jesus figure was thought by the first believers to have been non-human; while MJers think the evidence goes the other way

Discussion 2: HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely (to some level of confidence that differs among HJers) that there was a man called Jesus whose life and death were factors (by no means the only ones) in the beginning of the movement that became Christianity; HJ-skeptics, on the other hand, say there is insufficient evidence to support this

In the interests of finding some common ground and encouraging polite constructive discussion, I would like to agree with what you say about those two separate discussions ... but after a moments reflection I don't think I can actually agree with that.

The main reason is that although you say that "HJers say there is more evidence for HJ than there is for MJ" (that's Discussion1), and that "HJers think there is sufficient evidence to say it is likely ..." (i.e. Discussion 2), the fact is there is actually no evidence of Jesus himself.
Actually, you still could agree with me, because what I offered was a neutral description. In those paragraphs I didn't claim HJers were correct.

None at all. What is being called evidence of Jesus, is in fact only evidence of religious beliefs written in the bible. But those beliefs written in the bible are actually un-evidenced, i.e. there is no actual evidence to support those beliefs in respect of a human Jesus.

Those beliefs are also anonymously written (and written centuries later), and the unknown authors never mention any person who ever credibly gave them any such Jesus stories. That is - nobody who ever claimed to meet Jesus, ever wrote to say they had given their stories to the gospel writers, and nor did those unknown informants ever themselves write to confirm they had ever said any such thing about knowing Jesus.

The evidence said to be for a HJ, is only un-evidenced faith belief in religious OT prophecy.

And against that, as I set out in detail a few pages back, there is if course a huge mass of unarguable evidence of actual proven fact, to show that what was written about Jesus in those gospels was untrue fiction, and that the gospel writers were using the OT as their source of Jesus stories (which is exactly what Paul said he had done).

I know that's what you think. I don't agree with you, for reasons already set out. I'm not going to set them out again, as you will no doubt just reassert your implacable position once more.

So that’s the problem with HJ belief - zero actual genuine evidence for him, but now in modern times (since about 1800 onwards, as set out in detail in my earlier post) a great deal of evidence against the veracity and reliability of the bible as a source for what it says about Jesus.

As I say, I know this is what you think. You've said it loads of times already. I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree.

OK. But if you disagree with what I said, then I genuinely can't recall where you (o anyone else here) ever posted anything which is actually evidence of Jesus himself; as opposed to later gospel writers reporting evidence of their belief in Jesus.

What was the actual evidence of Jesus? Because I have to admit I must have missed that crucial factor. :o
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38937  Postby IanS » May 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Free wrote:Listed below is a review of Richard Carrier's book, "Proving History" which employs the mathematical formula known as Bayes’s Theorem. This review was done by fellow atheist Ian Millington, who just so happens to be a trained scientist with a PhD in the mathematics of evolution, but also holds an undergraduate degree in theology from the University of Birmingham, UK – a secular theology school.

A Mathematical Review of “Proving History” by Richard Carrier

by Ian Millington

This is a review of Carrier’s book from purely a mathematical perspective, the historical merit has been reviewed elsewhere. Given the primary audience of this blog, and the book, however, I will review the mathematics in fairly nontechnical terms, though I will assume some knowledge of probability theory.

Proving History is the first book of a pair on the topic of whether there was a historical figure of Jesus, written by independent scholar Carrier (who describes himself as a historian and philosopher), funded philanthropically by members of an online atheist group. It sets up a thesis based on using probability theory to reason about historical evidence. In particular, Carrier focuses on what he calls Bayes’s Theorem as the fundamental underlying process of doing history.

I will be unable to deal with every mathematical problem in the book in a short review, so will limit myself to issues arising from the first mathematical chapter. The issues below are not mitigated later in the book. Chapter three introduces Bayes’s theorem (BT) as:

which is a confusing and unnecessarily complex form of the formula more easily stated as:

While Carrier devotes a lot of ink to describing the terms of his longform BT, he nowhere attempts to describe what Bayes’s Theorem is doing. Why are we dividing probabilities? What does his denominator represent? He comes perilously close in chapter six (“Hard Stuff”), when talking about reference classes (which are quite closely related to the meaning of the denominator), but doesn't try to bring his audience to the level of competency to do anything more than take his word for these mathematical assertions.

So this unduly complex version of BT serves as a kind a magic black box:

the theorem was discovered in the late eighteenth century and has since been formally proved, mathematically and
logically, so we know its conclusions are always necessarily true—if its premises are true

In this Carrier allows himself to sidestep the question whether these necessarily true conclusions are meaningful in a particular domain. A discussion both awkward for his approach, and one surely that would have been more conspicuously missing if he’d have described why BT is the way it is.

The addition of background knowledge (b in his formula) in every term (the probability theory equivalent of writing x1 or +0) is highly idiosyncratic, though I’ve seen William Lane Craig use the same trick. Footnote 10 states that he made the choice so as to make explicit that background knowledge is always present. Clearly his audience can’t be expected to remember this basic tenet of probability theory.

Carrier correctly states that he is allowed to divide content between evidence and background knowledge any way he chooses, provided he is consistent. But then fails to do so throughout the book. For example on page 51 is an explanation of a ‘prior’ probability which explicitly includes the evidence in the prior, and therefore presumably in the background knowledge (emphasis original):

the measure of how ‘typical’ our proposed explanations is a measure of how often that kind of evidence has that kind of explanation. Formally this is called the prior” Going on to say (emphasis original): "For example, if someone claims they were struck by lightening five times … the prior probability they are telling the truth is not the probability of being struck by lightening five times, but the probability that someone in general who claims such a thing would be telling the truth."

This is not wrong, per se, but highly bizarre. One can certainly bundle the claim and the event like that, but if you do so Bayes’s Theorem cannot be used to calculate the probability that the claim is true based on that evidence. The quote is valid, but highly misleading in a book which is seeking to examine the historicity of documentary claims.

The final problem I want to focus on in chapter three, is the claim of BT special status. Carrier asserts it is both necessary and sufficient for any probabilistic reasoning about evidence. This is indicative of a confusion of nomenclature that permeates the book, at times he uses Bayes’s Theorem to mean probabilistic reasoning generally, then switches to using his idiosyncratic equation form (as if his claims about the former, therefore lead one to the latter necessarily), and at other times uses it as a stand in for Bayesian reasoning (to which I’ll return below).

If he had started from the definition of conditional probability,

he might have noticed that Bayes Theorem is merely an application of basic high school algebra to the definition, and there are many other such applications which would not give BT, but would be equally valid. Thus statements such as “any historical reasoning that cannot be validly described by Bayes’s Theorem is itself invalid” (which he claims he will show in the following chapter, but does not credibly do so) are laughable if understood to mean:

but have been argued for (though by no means to universal acceptance) if taken to mean the Bayesian interpretation of probabilities.

Carrier joins that latter debate too, in what he describes as a “cheeky” unification of Bayesian and Frequentist interpretations, but what reads as a misunderstanding of what the differences between Bayesian and Frequentist statistics are. Describing what this means is beyond my scope here, but I raise it because it is illustrative of a tone of arrogance and condescension that I consistently perceived throughout the book. To use the word “cheeky” to describe his “solution” of this important problem in mathematical philosophy, suggests he is aware of his hubris.

Perhaps cheeky indicates that his preposterous claim was made in jest. But given the lack of mathematical care demonstrated in the rest of the book, to me it came off as indicative of a DunningKruger effect around mathematics. I had many other problems with the mathematics presented in the book, I felt there were severe errors with his arguments a fortiori (i.e. a kind of reasoning from inequalities — the probability is no greater than X); and his settheoretic treatment of reference classes was likewise muddled (though in the latter case it coincidentally did not seem to result in incorrect conclusions). But in the interest of space, the above discussion gives a flavor of the issues I found throughout.

Conclusion:

Outside the chapters on the mathematics, I enjoyed the book, and found it entertaining to consider some of the historical content in mathematical terms. I strongly support mathematical literacy in the arts. History and biblical criticism would be better if historians had a better understanding of probability (among other topics: I do not think the lack of such knowledge is an important weakness in the field).

I am also rather sympathetic to many of Carrier’s opinions, and therefore predisposed towards his conclusions. So while I consistently despaired of his claims to have shown his results mathematically, I agree with some of the conclusions, and I think that gestalts in favor of those conclusions can be supported by probability theory.

But ultimately I think the book is disingenuous. It doesn't read as a mathematical treatment of the subject, and I can’t help but think that Carrier is using Bayes’s Theorem in much the same way that apologists such as William Lane Craig use it: to give their arguments a veneer of scientific rigor that they hope cannot be challenged by their generally more mathphobic peers. To enter an argument against the overwhelming scholarly consensus with “but I have math on my side, math that has been proven, proven!” seems transparent to me, more so when the quality of the math provided in no way matches the bombast.

I suspect this book was always designed to preach to the choir, and will not make much impact in scholarly circles. I hope
it doesn't become a blueprint for other similar scholarship, despite agreeing with many of its conclusions.

https://irrco.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/ ... d-carrier/

So there you have it folks, from a professional scientific mathematician with a Phd, who also just so happens to have an undergraduate degree in theology from the University of Birmingham, UK – a secular theology school.

Ian Millington is actually a fan of Richard Carrier (or was), and agrees with many of his conclusions. But when Carrier attempted to dupe his followers and his opponents with his math, Ian Millington could not ignore Richard Carrier false mathematics and intellectual dishonesty.

Therefore, those of you in the myther camp, take heed; Richard Carrier has been conclusively proven as using fraudulent arguments, fraudulent math, and fraudulent techniques in his campaign against the historical position on Jesus of Nazareth.

If you read what that quote from Millington actually says, he is in fact not exposing any particular mistake in what Carrier wrote about Bayes Theorem or the way Carrier applied it. All that Millington says about it is that Carriers presentation was unnecessarily complex, and that the conclusions Carrier drew were, in Millington’s opinion, not necessarily as reliable as Carrier presented them to be.

I dont want to talk specifically about either Bayes Theorem, or what Carrier or Millington have said about it (despite my maths background ... I am definitely not going to be drawn into maths arguments on the internet), but you don't need any of that argument from Millington in order to undermine Carriers use of Bayes Theorem. Because the problem with trying to apply any such probability theory to biblical statements about Jesus, is that the equations require you to begin by subjectively guessing what you think the initial starting probabilities are ... and people could argue for ever about what those guesstimates ought to be.

And of course neither Carrier, Millington, or anyone needs any such probability theorem to say that miracle claims are almost certainly untrue (as shown by science in general), and that books written in the 1st century repeatedly making such claims, from unknown authors who never quoted any named informants who could ever be produced to verify what they were supposed to have said, and where none of what was written about Jesus in any of those gospels & letters could ever be independently verified, is not by any standard a credible source of factual evidence ... you dont need Bayes Theorem to understand that!
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38938  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Free wrote:

Your post is just total propaganda.

I am happy that you mention "fraudulent" because you fabricated a Fiction story that Jesus was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera which is not found in any writings of antiquity.

Why did you accuse Panthera of a crime WITHOUT evidence?

You are now trying to divert attention from your baseless 21st century invention.

It would appear that you do not even understand Bayes Theorem of Probability.

Richard Carrier is NOT the person who developed Bayes Theorem of Probability.

It is most laughable that you expose that you may be"mathematically" illiterate when you put forward the notion that Bayes Theorem is "fraudulent math".

You are constantly exposing your absurdities and arguments void of logical, math, probability and historical data.

Jesus of Nazareth was PROBABLY a figure of mythology based on Bayes Theorem of Probability when the EXISTING evidence from ANTIQUITY is APPLIED.

Your FICTION story that Jesus was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera cannot be applied to Bayes Theorem because you JUST recently made it up from your imagination.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38939  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2015 6:52 pm

MS2 wrote:
If they are subjective then they aren't probabilities. I think you are talking about a scale of confidence or something like that.

What?? So when one claims that Jesus probably existed then it would be without any subjectivity??

It is clear that you have virtually no understanding of Bayes Theorem of Probability .

Collection of historical data is likely to have some inherent subjectivity.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38940  Postby iskander » May 03, 2015 6:53 pm

How far apart from each other were the Christian and the Judaic theological beliefs?

In The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel, Benjamin D. Sommer provides an answer to this difficult question as follows:
This study forces a revaluation of a common Jewish attitude towards Christianity. Some Jews regard Christianity's claims to be monotheistic with suspicion, both because the doctrine of the trinity ( how can three equal one? ) and because of Christianity's core belief that God took bodily form. What we have attempted to point out here is that biblical Israel knew very similar doctrines, and these doctrines did not disappear from Judaism after the biblical period....
No Jew sensitive to Judaism's own classical sources , however, can fault the theological model Christianity employs when it avows belief in a God who has an earthly body as well as a Holy Spirit and a heavenly manifestation, for that model, we have seen, is a perfectly Jewish one.

The Bodies of God and the World of Ancient Israel
Benjamin D. Sommer
Cambridge University Press; 1 edition (January 17, 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-1107422261
Page 135
iskander

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity