Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#40341  Postby dejuror » Jun 27, 2015 7:24 pm

iskander wrote:

The early history of Christianity is the history of Judaism where it was conceived and carried in the womb until it was born as an alien sect and later acquired the capacity for independent life.

Your statement is fallacious. There is no history of the Jesus cult Christian religion in the history of Judaism.

1. All existing Jesus cult Christian manuscripts from antiquity were found OUTSIDE Judea.

2. There is NO KNOWN Jew who was a Jesus cult Christian at any time before the 2nd century.

Christianity is BLASPHEMY to Judaism and was conceived by NON-Jews sometime in the 2nd century .

The writings attributed to Philo, Josephus, Pliny the Elder, Tacitus and Suetonius are evidence that the Jesus cult of Christians had NO history up to at least c 115 CE.
dejuror

Print view this post

#40342  Postby proudfootz » Jun 27, 2015 11:25 pm

dejuror wrote:
iskander wrote:

The early history of Christianity is the history of Judaism where it was conceived and carried in the womb until it was born as an alien sect and later acquired the capacity for independent life.

Your statement is fallacious. There is no history of the Jesus cult Christian religion in the history of Judaism.

1. All existing Jesus cult Christian manuscripts from antiquity were found OUTSIDE Judea.

2. There is NO KNOWN Jew who was a Jesus cult Christian at any time before the 2nd century.

Christianity is BLASPHEMY to Judaism and was conceived by NON-Jews sometime in the 2nd century .

The writings attributed to Philo, Josephus, Pliny the Elder, Tacitus and Suetonius are evidence that the Jesus cult of Christians had NO history up to at least c 115 CE.

:thumbup:

The simplest explanation for the 'christian' literature originating outside of Judea is that that is where christianity originated.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40343  Postby dejuror » Jun 28, 2015 1:48 am

dejuror wrote:

There is no history of the Jesus cult Christian religion in the history of Judaism.

proudfootz wrote::thumbup:

The simplest explanation for the 'christian' literature originating outside of Judea is that that is where christianity originated.

The explanation is made even when simpler when it is realised that there are NO known Jews in non-apologetic sources who were followers or members of the Jesus cult of Christians.
dejuror

Print view this post

#40344  Postby Leucius Charinus » Jun 28, 2015 8:24 am

IanS wrote:The whole entire issue here is whether or not there is reliable evidence of Jesus ever known to anyone as a human person in the 1st century.

And the answer to that is actually very clear and straightforward. There is actually no reliable evidence of anyone at all ever meeting any such person as Jesus.

Let us assume the hypothesis that "As an historical person, Jesus was not known by anyone in the 1st century" to be true.

Where do we go from there?

I have my own ideas about where to go from this point - I'd suggest to ask the question whether or not there is reliable evidence of "Christians" ever known to anyone as a group of people in the 1st century. (And we can forget about following Eusebius's hypothesis that that "Therapeutae" mentioned in writings attributed to Philo, were "Christians")

But I am interested in hearing of other ideas about where to go, given that the hypothesis above is true.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Re: The Ahistoricity of Jesus

#40345  Postby angelo » Jun 28, 2015 10:10 am

2Curious wrote:
jerome wrote:There are serious problems with it, but as I have only just arrived I'd prefer to not get in to a full blown discussion of it just now. As a resource i'll post that of my historical sources for Jesus document I still have backed up. :) An RD forum member called Rational Revolution wrote a book called Jesus: A very Jewish Myth published on lulu which si much better: I still think he is wrong, but his arguments are much stronger that Doherty's in my opinion.
Before Tim arrived i dedicated huge amounts of energy to arguing the flaws in Jesus Mythicism: but I don't mind showing you where to find the best case I know -- http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... yth/687167 Worth reading, unlike most Myther books . :(

j x

Thanks for the link, think I'll get the book and give it a look see.

I'll vouch for that book. Jerome put me onto it years ago. It's a very readable, and very well researched book. :)
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40346  Postby Ducktown » Jun 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Christianity did not start out as a unified movement. We have to remember that the disciples were probably dispersed at a very early time.... That is, at a time where there was no fixed formulation what the set of Christian beliefs should be. What Christian rituals should be. What they should think about Jesus or what they should tell about Jesus. The sources that we have tell us that Christianity started as a very diverse movement, as the founding of churches... moved into very different cultural and language contexts....

Paul's conversion as an apostle to the gentiles may date as early as three years after Jesus' death. No later than the year 35, but probably already 32 or 33.... He was in Damascus when he was called, according to his own witness. So we have, already, within two years or three or five years, of Jesus' death probably Greek speaking communities outside of Palestine, very early in Antioch, but we have also the founding of communities in Samaria.... We have apparently more isolated Christian communities founded very early in Galilee. Paul's mission carried Christianity all the way over Asia Minor, present Turkey into Macedonia, into Greece, within 20 years. And at the end of that period, Paul already knows that there's a Christian community in Rome which he has not founded.

With this explosive spread of Christian churches, not a very slow moderate growth, getting a few new members every few years, but an explosive spread of this movement, it cannot be expected that everywhere, everybody was doing and believing the same thing, singing the same hymns and reading the same scriptures and telling the same story. So we have a beginning with great diversity, and the slow process, particularly in the second century, to establish a greater unity among the very diverse churches. Already a process in Paul's churches themselves, because that's why Paul writes letters, because he wants to make sure that these newly converted Christians in Ephesus and Philippi and Thessaloniki and in Corinth have some unanimity in their beliefs. And his work is made even more difficult because once he had left Corinth, some people came to Corinth and told them, "Really Paul has not told you enough of the deep wisdom of the words of Jesus. Those you have to contemplate in order to learn the wisdom that comes from Jesus," and Paul has to write back and say, "Now, I taught you nothing but Christ crucified, not Christ wisdom." So you get a conflict of different traditions also at a very early stage.

The Diversity of Early Christianity

When you read something like that from Koester it's a given that christianities were well under way well before there were ever Jesus stories as presented in the NT.
Ducktown

Print view this post

#40347  Postby proudfootz » Jun 29, 2015 12:52 am

Ducktown wrote:
Christianity did not start out as a unified movement. We have to remember that the disciples were probably dispersed at a very early time.... That is, at a time where there was no fixed formulation what the set of Christian beliefs should be. What Christian rituals should be. What they should think about Jesus or what they should tell about Jesus. The sources that we have tell us that Christianity started as a very diverse movement, as the founding of churches... moved into very different cultural and language contexts....

Paul's conversion as an apostle to the gentiles may date as early as three years after Jesus' death. No later than the year 35, but probably already 32 or 33.... He was in Damascus when he was called, according to his own witness. So we have, already, within two years or three or five years, of Jesus' death probably Greek speaking communities outside of Palestine, very early in Antioch, but we have also the founding of communities in Samaria.... We have apparently more isolated Christian communities founded very early in Galilee. Paul's mission carried Christianity all the way over Asia Minor, present Turkey into Macedonia, into Greece, within 20 years. And at the end of that period, Paul already knows that there's a Christian community in Rome which he has not founded.

With this explosive spread of Christian churches, not a very slow moderate growth, getting a few new members every few years, but an explosive spread of this movement, it cannot be expected that everywhere, everybody was doing and believing the same thing, singing the same hymns and reading the same scriptures and telling the same story. So we have a beginning with great diversity, and the slow process, particularly in the second century, to establish a greater unity among the very diverse churches. Already a process in Paul's churches themselves, because that's why Paul writes letters, because he wants to make sure that these newly converted Christians in Ephesus and Philippi and Thessaloniki and in Corinth have some unanimity in their beliefs. And his work is made even more difficult because once he had left Corinth, some people came to Corinth and told them, "Really Paul has not told you enough of the deep wisdom of the words of Jesus. Those you have to contemplate in order to learn the wisdom that comes from Jesus," and Paul has to write back and say, "Now, I taught you nothing but Christ crucified, not Christ wisdom." So you get a conflict of different traditions also at a very early stage.

When you read something like that from Koester it's a given that christianities were well under way well before there were ever Jesus stories as presented in the NT.

Interesting the author has to presume the alleged disciples were 'scattered' early on to get the movement started in a lot of different places at the same time. Is the big idea that these illiterate fishermen went separately to the great centers of learning of the ancient world and established rival 'christian' cults all over (everywhere BUT Judea) the Mediterranean?

Sounds like a realistic idea. [/sarcasm]
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40348  Postby Ducktown » Jun 29, 2015 3:18 am

proudfootz wrote:Interesting the author has to presume the alleged disciples were 'scattered' early on to get the movement started in a lot of different places at the same time. Is the big idea that these illiterate fishermen went separately to the great centers of learning of the ancient world and established rival 'christian' cults all over (everywhere BUT Judea) the Mediterranean?

Sounds like a realistic idea. [/sarcasm]

Traditional scholarship wouldn't touch that one with the proverbial ten foot cattle prod. It's interesting how they manage to dance around it without ever raising the question.
Ducktown

Print view this post

#40349  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 29, 2015 5:22 am

Just how did they communicate? To be an explosive growth would require good communications.

Xtianity has never been united. The first split was the orthodox and catholic church and everything has been splitting since.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40350  Postby RealityRules » Jun 29, 2015 7:40 am

Ducktown wrote:

lol. Yes.

There's no archaeology to support the contention of "explosive spread of Christian churches".

One Paul would have recorded something more concrete about Jesus from an eyewitness if Paul had been converted so close to Jesus's death.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#40351  Postby angelo » Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just how did they communicate? To be an explosive growth would require good communications.

Xtianity has never been united. The first split was the orthodox and catholic church and everything has been splitting since.

Yep, apart from good communications, they needed tickets to heaven as well.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40352  Postby IanS » Jun 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Leucius Charinus wrote:
IanS wrote:The whole entire issue here is whether or not there is reliable evidence of Jesus ever known to anyone as a human person in the 1st century.

And the answer to that is actually very clear and straightforward. There is actually no reliable evidence of anyone at all ever meeting any such person as Jesus.

Let us assume the hypothesis that "As an historical person, Jesus was not known by anyone in the 1st century" to be true.

Where do we go from there?

I have my own ideas about where to go from this point - I'd suggest to ask the question whether or not there is reliable evidence of "Christians" ever known to anyone as a group of people in the 1st century. (And we can forget about following Eusebius's hypothesis that that "Therapeutae" mentioned in writings attributed to Philo, were "Christians")

But I am interested in hearing of other ideas about where to go, given that the hypothesis above is true.

I'm not really making any comment on the use of the word "Christians", because I don't know when that term was first used, or for which sect or sects it was originally used. Although in passing, at risk of stating the obvious - if the word "Christ" is only the Greek translation of the earlier Hebrew word "Messiah", then presumably any sect described as "Christians" were merely being described as believers in a messiah. And Jews in that region had apparently believed in the coming of a saving messiah since at least 1000 BC. In which case a simple term like "Christians" would not necessarily have been specific to followers of Jesus at all.

As for the question of "where we go from" my statement that "there is actually no reliable evidence of anyone at all ever meeting any such person as Jesus", where we go from that, or rather what we conclude from that, is that there can be no actual direct evidence of Jesus as a living person known to anyone who ever wrote anything about him. In which case what was written about Jesus in the gospels and letters of the bible could only be evidence of the writers un-evidenced religious beliefs in an Jesus who was unknown to all of them.

That's evidence of religious belief. It is not evidence that their religious beliefs were ever true.

And of course, it's not exactly unknown for religious beliefs to be mistaken. In fact afaik, out of all the many billions of such religious beliefs in human history, it appears that not a single one of them was ever true!
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40353  Postby Owdhat » Jun 29, 2015 9:58 pm

IanS wrote:[
And of course, it's not exactly unknown for religious beliefs to be mistaken. In fact afaik, out of all the many billions of such religious beliefs in human history, it appears that not a single one of them was ever true!

Except of course of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher who was so ineffective he managed to get executed after the shortest reign of any supposed god ever, the elephant in the room will have to be dealt with at some point.
Owdhat

Name: jb

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40354  Postby proudfootz » Jun 30, 2015 4:21 am

Owdhat wrote:

Except of course of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher who was so ineffective he managed to get executed after the shortest reign of any supposed god ever, the elephant in the room will have to be dealt with at some point.

Yes, since the 18th century some would-be historians have been trying to gin up a religion around that idea. to supplant christianity.

Let us know how it works out! :coffee:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40355  Postby Leucius Charinus » Jun 30, 2015 5:24 am

angelo wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Just how did they communicate? To be an explosive growth would require good communications.

They seem to have used passwords.

In the Nag Hammadi Library, NHC 5.3 First Apocalypse of James, Jesus dispenses Gnostic Passwords to James on how to ascend to the seventy-second heaven - a late instruction course on the appropriate passwords for the maximum ascension after crucifixion.

Is this a joke or what?
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#40356  Postby IanS » Jun 30, 2015 8:37 am

Owdhat wrote:

I don't think there were "billions of religions". What I said was "billions of religious beliefs", i.e. countless beliefs and claims within each of those many religions all throughout mans history.

However, your so-called "elephant in the room", who you just said was a human person who was executed, as if that was a fact (look at your own words please), is NOT an elephant in any room at all. And your own words (look at them!) are assuming his existence as a starting point! That is completely unacceptable. Because the whole point here is that his existence is the very thing which is in dispute! ... so you cannot just assume, as you just did (i.e. above) that he was indeed "an ineffective person who was executed" ... such that he therefore becomes your "elephant in the room".

The actual elephant in the room here, which believers like you "have to deal with" (to use all your words), is that over the last 200 years or so, indisputable evidence has been discovered to show that the figure described as Jesus in the bible could not possible have been true, and that the biblical authors were seriously unreliable and not remotely credible as writers of historical facts. And in particular, it turns out that they were all anonymous religious writers who had never known any such person as Jesus, and who were writing centuries after the events (and probably writing in Egypt!).

And if you needed any more than that, it also turns out that the gospel writers were certainly doing exactly what Paul repeatedly insisted he had done to learn about Jesus, and that was to use "fulfilment citation" by searching the OT scriptures for any stories they wished to re-cast as referring to Paul's figure called "Iesous" (actually "Yehoshua", i.e. in modern /middle English "Jesus"), who according to Paul was known to him from divine revelation confirmed in ancient scripture.

And unlike your Jesus speculations, the above is apparently (even acceding to the most religious of Christian bible scholar academics), actual FACT.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40357  Postby RealityRules » Jun 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Adoptionism supports the proposition for an Historical Jesus -
The very first Christians, the Ebionites, Nazorenes, Gnostic Christians and others, were all adoptionists. In accordance with the first hundred years of Christian belief and with the oldest manuscripts of the Bible, Jesus was born in a normal way like the rest of us, to his parents, Joseph and Mary, from the line of David as prophesized (Matt. 1:1,9:27, Lk. 1:32, Jn. 7:41-3, Acts 13:23, 2 Tim. 2:8, Rev. 5:5 and 22:16). Jesus kept God's laws so well that on his baptism, God adopted him as his son, and sent him to the cross as a truly innocent, perfect sacrifice, to atone for the sins of all mankind, to fulfil promises made in the Jewish scriptures.

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/christi ... onism.html
Adoptionism: ... Jesus was a human being who was "adopted" by God at his conception, at which point he developed a divine nature. Later versions sometimes suggest that he was adopted later, such as when he was baptized by John the Baptist.

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/heresies.html

Socianism: A version of Arianism called Socianism (from the Latin socius, meaning "companion") simply says that Jesus was an extraordinary man. This heresy still lives on in two very different forms, the Unitarians and the Jehova's Witnesses.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#40358  Postby proudfootz » Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Leucius Charinus wrote:
angelo wrote:

They seem to have used passwords.

In the Nag Hammadi Library, NHC 5.3 First Apocalypse of James, Jesus dispenses Gnostic Passwords to James on how to ascend to the seventy-second heaven - a late instruction course on the appropriate passwords for the maximum ascension after crucifixion.

Is this a joke or what?

No one would make it up! :whistle:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40359  Postby RealityRules » Jun 30, 2015 12:58 pm

The Shepherd of Hermes is an adoptionist text
In parable 5, the author mentions a Son of God, as a virtuous man filled with a Holy "pre-existent spirit" and adopted as the Son.[5] In the 2nd century, adoptionism (the view that Jesus Christ was at least initially, only a mortal man) was one of two competing doctrines about Jesus' true nature, the other being that he pre-existed as a divine spirit (Logos); Christ's identity with the Logos (Jn 1:1) was affirmed in 325 at the First Council of Nicaea.[6] Bogdan G. Bucur, however, notes how widely accepted the Shepherd of Hermas was among "orthodox" Christians, yet was never criticized for apparently exhibiting an adoptionistic Christology. He suggests that the passage in question should be understood as Jesus making his dwelling within those who submit to his spirit, so that the "adoption" that takes place is not of Jesus but of his followers.[7] It has been pointed out that "It refers to the 'Son of God' (a much older Egyptian and Babylonian and Persian deist concept) but never uses the word 'Christ,' 'Jesus,' nor 'Christian'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheph ... hristology

Tertullian said "the Epistle of Barnabas is "more received among the Churches than that apocryphal Shepherd"
(De pudicitia, 10 and 20)" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheph ... literature

though both made their way into Codex Sinaiticus etc
Last edited by RealityRules on Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#40360  Postby proudfootz » Jun 30, 2015 1:00 pm

IanS wrote:
Owdhat wrote:

I don't think there were "billions of religions". What I said was "billions of religious beliefs", i.e. countless beliefs and claims within each of those many religions all throughout mans history.

However, your so-called "elephant in the room", who you just said was a human person who was executed, as if that was a fact (look at your own words please), is NOT an elephant in any room at all. And your own words (look at them!) are assuming his existence as a starting point! That is completely unacceptable. Because the whole point here is that his existence is the very thing which is in dispute! ... so you cannot just assume, as you just did (i.e. above) that he was indeed "an ineffective person who was executed" ... such that he therefore becomes your "elephant in the room".

The actual elephant in the room here, which believers like you "have to deal with" (to use all your words), is that over the last 200 years or so, indisputable evidence has been discovered to show that the figure described as Jesus in the bible could not possible have been true, and that the biblical authors were seriously unreliable and not remotely credible as writers of historical facts. And in particular, it turns out that they were all anonymous religious writers who had never known any such person as Jesus, and who were writing centuries after the events (and probably writing in Egypt!).

And if you needed any more than that, it also turns out that the gospel writers were certainly doing exactly what Paul repeatedly insisted he had done to learn about Jesus, and that was to use "fulfilment citation" by searching the OT scriptures for any stories they wished to re-cast as referring to Paul's figure called "Iesous" (actually "Yehoshua", i.e. in modern /middle English "Jesus"), who according to Paul was known to him from divine revelation confirmed in ancient scripture.

And unlike your Jesus speculations, the above is apparently (even acceding to the most religious of Christian bible scholar academics), actual FACT.

You'd think if there were an elephant in the room, someone would have mentioned it.

Maybe the fact that no one mentions it is an indication there was no elephant in the room? :think:

Perhaps some people are just seeing elephants where there are none...
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity