Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#41041  Postby Stein » Oct 01, 2015 5:21 pm

dejuror wrote:
dejuror wrote:

Christians writers who made reference to Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 ADMITTED James the Apostle was NOT a brother of THEIR Jesus.

Stein wrote:
LOL!! "Admitted" is hardly the right word: Rather, they _insisted_ feverishly that James couldn't be a brother of good ol' rabbi Yeshua, because of their idiocy about Mary's "perpetual virginity". They found the idea of Jesus's having any siblings to be sheer anathema _because_ of all their Christian WOO, Dejuror. This is another reason why it's so hysterically funny for mythers to think that the brother James reference in Antiqs. XX is any kind of Christian interpolation. In fact, Christians in the post-Pauline period, once the miracle birth had been made up and foisted on everyone, would be the _last_ possible ones who'd want to remind _anyone_ that Jesus had a brother! Antiqs. XX is acutely _embarrassing_ to Christians for that reason. That's why it has credibility.

Your argument is void of logic. You use THE SAME WOO WOO gMatthew and WOO WOO Galatians to argue that Jesus of Nazareth was YOUR HJ.

It is virtually impossible that Jesus called the Anointed [Christ] in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 was the supposed character called Jesus of Nazareth in the MYTH/FICTION fables of Christian Bible.

In Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 Jesus called the Anointed [Christ] was ALIVE in the time of Nero.

There is no claim anywhere in ALL the writings of Josephus that Jesus called the Anointed was dead before James his brother.

Even the Lord Jesus, in the myth/fiction fables of Christians, admitted to James that he was NOT his brother.

http://earlychristianwritings.com/text/apocalypsejames1st.html

The Apocalypse of James
...It is the Lord who spoke with me: "See now the completion of my redemption. I have given you a sign of these things, James, my brother. For not without reason have I called you my brother, although you are not my brother materially....

That's a laugh. The Apocalypse of James -- AoJ -- isn't even the same century as the Paulines or the Synoptics -- not to mention Antiqs. xx! So you're really going to prioritize a later text like AoJ, and its predictably allergic response to the mere whiff of Jesus having a brother, over the triple testimony of three earlier texts that let the cat out of the bag about -- OOPS! -- a Jesus sibling?! Obviously, the Mary's-"perpetual-virginity" meme had taken hold long before AoJ was even a gleam in its woo-laden writer's eye.

Stein
Last edited by Stein on Oct 01, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#41042  Postby RealityRules » Oct 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Stein wrote:
.. The Apocalypse of James -- AoJ -- isn't even the same century as the Paulines or the Synoptics -- not to mention Antiqs. xx! Obviously, the Mary's-"perpetual-virginity" meme had taken hold long before AoJ was even a gleam in its woo-laden writer's eye.

There are two Apocalypse of James, and the text -
It is the Lord who spoke with me: "See now the completion of my redemption. I have given you a sign of these things, James, my brother. For not without reason have I called you my brother, although you are not my brother materially."

- is from the start of the First Apocalypse of James, which is thought to be written after the Second AoJ.

The naming applies to their order in the tracate in the Nag Hammadi text known as Codex V.

The First Apocalypse of James is also known as the 'Revelation of Jacob', and in it

• James was the head of the early church
  • James was the most senior apostle
  • James fled to Pella when the Romans invaded Jerusalem in 70AD (This contradicts the testimony of Josephus and Eusebius who both state that 'James' was executed in Jerusalem in 62 AD).
The first portion of the text describes James' concern about being crucified, whereas the latter portion describes secret passwords given to James so that he can ascend to the highest heaven (out of seventy-two) after dying, without being blocked by evil powers of the demiurge.

Whether the Paulines or Synoptics were written in a different century to these Apocalypses has not been fully determined, and it's possible they all were being redacted during the same time period.

The 2nd Apocalypse of James names James' father Theudas rather than Joseph (Josephus is presented as the biological father of James by the mid 2nd century Protevangelium of James). The wife of this Theudas is named Mary, but whether this Mary is the same woman as the mother of Jesus, or whether this wife of Theudas named Mary is supposed to be the biological mother of James, is not clear from the text.

The 2nd Apocalypse of James ends with the death of James by stoning, possibly reflecting an early oral tradition of what became of James:

"They decided to throw him down from the height, and they cast him down... They seized him and struck him as they dragged him on the ground. They stretched him out and placed a stone on his abdomen. They all placed their feet on him, saying: 'You have erred!' Again they raised him up, since he was alive, and made him dig a hole. They made him stand in it. After having covered him up to his abdomen, they stoned him."
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#41043  Postby dejuror » Oct 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Stein wrote:

That's a laugh. The Apocalypse of James -- AoJ -- isn't even the same century as the Paulines or the Synoptics -- not to mention Antiqs. xx! So you're really going to prioritize a later text like AoJ, and its predictably allergic response to the mere whiff of Jesus having a brother, over the triple testimony of three earlier texts that let the cat out of the bag about -- OOPS! -- a Jesus sibling?! Obviously, the Mary's-"perpetual-virginity" meme had taken hold long before AoJ was even a gleam in its woo-laden writer's eye.

Stein

What a big joke!! You use the WOO WOO myth/fiction ghost stories in gMatthew and Galatians for your Jesus.

Jesus, the son of a Ghost gave a Sermon on the mount in the myth/fiction fables called gMatthew and you say it was your Rabbi.

How absurd.

In Galatians 1.19, it specifically sates that James is the brother of the LORD.

Galatians 1.19 specfically uses the NOMINA SACRA for the LORD GOD of the Jews.

Examine a copy of Papyri 46.

http://earlybible.com/manuscripts/p46-Gal-2.html

The Epistle to Galatians does not claim anywhere at all that James was the brother of Jesus.

In addition, Jesus the Anointed [Christ] was ALIVE in the time of Nero in Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1.

Your Jesus the Rabbi is a fiction character in the NT--A water walking God Creator--the Logos.

We have no Paulines or Synoptics from the 1st century.

The earliest manuscripts of the Pauline Corpus and the Synoptics are Papyri 46 and Papyri 75 DATED to the last quarter of 2nd century or later.

You have COMPLETELY forgetten that the EXISTING version of Aniquities of the Jews is also not from the 1st century since it is known to be CORRUPTED or manipulated at least in the 3rd century or later.

You have nothing but discredited sources compiled with forgeries, false attribution, interpolation, fiction, manipulation, chinese whispers, discrepancies, historical problems, mythology and contradictions.

HJ the Rabbi is a fiction character derived from your imagination and the ghost stories called the New Testament.

Tell us the truth about your Rabbi because the one in the BIBLE NEVER EVER existed.

John 14:6---Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me

John 10:30---I and my Father are one.

Jesus the Rabbi was GOD in YOUR source..

Jesus the Rabbi is uncoroborated fiction.
dejuror

Print view this post

#41044  Postby Mike S » Oct 02, 2015 12:08 am

dejuror wrote:
It is evident that no attempt was made to historicise Jesus in the NT.

Fully agree.

These writings were never meant as history but as religious persuasion and/or instruction.

We’re dealing with particular literary forms – historical or geographical details or descriptions of natural events are merely offered as embellishments aimed at underlining some truth of faith, a means of declaring and solidifying it in some unequivocal form
Mike S

Print view this post

#41045  Postby Leucius Charinus » Oct 02, 2015 12:31 am

Mike S wrote:
dejuror wrote:

Fully agree.

These writings were never meant as history but as religious persuasion and/or instruction.

We’re dealing with particular literary forms – historical or geographical details or descriptions of natural events are merely offered as embellishments aimed at underlining some truth of faith, a means of declaring and solidifying it in some unequivocal form

The genre of the NT is (IMO) best classed as "Holy Writ".
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#41046  Postby dejuror » Oct 02, 2015 2:50 am

dejuror wrote:

Mike S wrote:
Fully agree.

The Christian religion was never history always deception--NEVER the truth.

The Jesus story and cult was initiated by the fiction that the Jews KILLED the Son of God.

1. Acts of the Apostles---22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs ....... ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain

2. 1 Thess. 2.14-15 ....for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets

3. Aristides' Apology--- The Christians, then, trace the beginning of their religion from Jesus the Messiah; and he is named the Son of God Most High. And it is said that God came down from heaven......... But he himself was pierced by the Jews........ those of the present day who believe that preaching are called Christians

4. Justin's Dialogue with Trypho ---Accordingly, these things have happened to you in fairness and justice, for you have slain the Just One, and His prophets before Him.

5. Irenaeus "Against Heresies---But the Jews do not offer thus: for their hands are full of blood; for they have not received the Word, through whom it is offered to God

6. Tertullian's Answer to the Jews ----after the slaughter of prophets— they slew, and exhausted their savagery by transfixing His sinews with nails.

7. Origen's Against Celsus----Now this writer, although not believing in Jesus as the Christ, in seeking after the cause of the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple, whereas he ought to have said that the conspiracy against Jesus was the cause of these calamities befalling the people, since they put to death Christ

8. Hippolytus Against the Jews----7. But why, O prophet, tell us, and for what reason, was the temple made desolate? ...... but it was because they killed the Son of their Benefactor

9. Lanctantius "How the Persecutors Died"----In the latter days of the Emperor Tiberius, in the consulship of Ruberius Geminus and Fufius Geminus, and on the tenth of the kalends of April, as I find it written, Jesus Christ was crucified by the Jews.

10. Chrysostom's Against the Jews ---For I am persuaded to call the fasting of the Jews a table of demons because they slew God.

The abundance of evidence from antiquity show that the Jesus story and cult was a product of a massive lie that the Jews Killed the Son of God.

Aristides Apology---- those of the present day who believe that preaching are called Christians, and they have become famous.

Those who believe the Jews KILLED the Son of God are called Christians.

Christian writers of antiquity did BELIEVE or wanted people to believe the LIE that the Jews KILLED the Son of God.
dejuror

Print view this post

#41047  Postby Mike S » Oct 02, 2015 3:28 am

Interesting that both one and two Apocalypse of James, as well as the Gospel of Thomas, trouble to specify the James in question as being James the Just, the same as in the Gospel of the Hebrews, with the latter mention possibly the earliest. (Whereas Jerome apparently concluded that James the Just and James the Less are one and the same person.)

(The Hebrew Gospel also displays a fondness for James and according to Wikipedia: The provenance has been associated with Egypt. It probably began circulating in Alexandria, Egypt in the first decades of the 2nd century and was used by Greek-speaking Jewish–Christian communities there. The communities to which they belonged were traditional, conservative Christians who followed the teaching of the primitive Christian church in Jerusalem, integrating their understanding of Jesus with strict observance of Jewish customs and law, which they regarded as essential to salvation. Despite this, the gospel displays no connection with other Jewish–Christian literature, nor does it appear to be based on the Gospel of Matthew or the other canonical gospels of what is now orthodox Christianity. Instead, it seems to be taken from alternative oral forms of the same underlying traditions. Some of the fragments suggest a syncretic gnostic influence, while others support close ties to traditional Jewish Wisdom literature.)

The Secret Book of James can also apparently “be dated to the first half of the second century, while its sources for the sayings of Jesus may go back to the first century. Cameron states that the internal evidence shows Egypt to be its provenance.”

Another surprising feature (surprising to me, that is) is that what all of these writings appear to have in common is the lack of any Valentinian theology or influence.
Mike S

Print view this post

#41048  Postby Mike S » Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

dejuror wrote:
The Jesus story and cult was initiated by the fiction that the Jews KILLED the Son of God.

Your notion that the ‘Jesus story’ emerged as a reaction to the Jews supposedly having killed him, dejuror, strikes me as enterprising a theory as another I read about of late.

The fly in the ointment here lies in the fact that Christian theology has always vowed that Jesus gave his life gladly, as a sacrifice for our sins - rendering the particular human actors involved irrelevant.

Furthermore, would the early Jewish Christians have wanted to create or foster a faith which subsequently ended up condemning them?

The following link offers some insight into early the first Jewish Christians:

“Daniel Boyarin proposes a revised understanding of the interactions between nascent Christianity and Judaism in late antiquity, viewing the two ‘new’ religions as intensely and complexly intertwined throughout this period. Boyarin writes: ‘for at least the first three centuries of their common lives, Judaism in all of its forms and Christianity in all of its forms were part of one complex religious family, twins in a womb, contending with each other for identity and precedence, but sharing with each other the same spiritual food.’”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_of_ ... nd_Judaism

Was it clever though, to cite that preposterous Acts of the Apostles? It was but viewed indifferently among our saintly fathers, as by the majority of Christians. As late as the beginning of the fifth century, ‘golden-mouth’ Chrysostom let it be known that it wasn’t known to many: “They know neither the book, nor by whom it was written.”

Next you raise Thessalonians but omit to cite Paul’s confirmation of what I mentioned before: that Jesus sacrificed for sin.

As followed by Aristides' Apology, and here it’s worth noting that the Athenian philosopher in fact speaks quite favorably of the Jews: ‘Let us come now, O King, to the history of the Jews also, and see what opinion they have as to God. The Jews then say that God is one, the Creator of all, and omnipotent; and that it is not right that any other should be worshipped except this God alone. And herein they appear to approach the truth more than all the nations, especially in that they worship God and not His works. And they imitate God by the philanthropy which prevails among them; for they have compassion on the poor, and they release the captives, and bury the dead, and do such things as these, which are acceptable before God and well-pleasing also to men--which (customs) they have received from their forefathers.’

Considering the accusatory assertions found in the canonical gospels, especially Matthew (“His blood be on us and on our children”), and in some of the earlier ones like the Gospel of Peter, together with Justin Martyr’s own remarks and his opposition to Judaism, as well as their direct connection to Christianity, I’d be more amazed if the remainder of the authors cited by you had commented in any other spirit.
Mike S

Print view this post

#41049  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 02, 2015 10:59 am

I have a strange feeling we have been here before?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#41050  Postby angelo » Oct 02, 2015 11:38 am

A case of deja vu?
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#41051  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 02, 2015 11:42 am

angelo wrote:A case of deja vu?

Not to put a too finer point on it. :smile:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#41052  Postby proudfootz » Oct 02, 2015 11:59 am

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#41053  Postby angelo » Oct 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Bates Motel!
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#41054  Postby proudfootz » Oct 02, 2015 12:22 pm

angelo wrote:Bates Motel!

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#41055  Postby dejuror » Oct 02, 2015 7:05 pm

dejuror wrote:

Mike S wrote:
Your notion that the ‘Jesus story’ emerged as a reaction to the Jews supposedly having killed him, dejuror, strikes me as enterprising a theory as another I read about of late.

You will not be able to present another theory supported by EXISTING evidence from antiquity.

Theories are developed from existing evidence---not speculation and assumptions.

My theory and argument is that the Jesus story and cult was initiated AFTER the FALL of the Jewish Temple c 70 CE with the propaganda that the Jews KILLED the Son of God called Jesus which is fully supported by an ABUNDANCE of evidence from antiquity.

1. All EXISTING manuscripts and Codices with stories of Jesus are DATED AFTER the Fall of the Jewish Temple c 70 CE.

2. All Christian writings which mentioned the reason for the Fall of the Jewish Temple c 70 CE claimed it was because the Jews KILLED the Son of God.

3. Christian writers of antiquity used Hebrew Scripture especially the book of Daniel AFTER the Fall of the Jewish Temple to fabricate the story that the Jews KILLED the Prophesied Messiah.

Mike S wrote:The fly in the ointment here lies in the fact that Christian theology has always vowed that Jesus gave his life gladly, as a sacrifice for our sins - rendering the particular human actors involved irrelevant.

Your claim is contradicted by the EARLIEST version of the Jesus story of SHORT gMark.

There is NO fly at all.

There is NOTHING about Jesus willingly sacrificing himself for remission of sins of all mankind in the EARLIEST versions of the Jesus story. In fact in the short gMark, Jesus was NOT a Savior of the Jews or mankind.

The EARLIEST version of the Jesus story claimed he spoke in PARABLES so that Populace would NOT understand him and REMAIN in Sin.

Examine the SHORT gMark. In the myth/fiction fable called Gospels, gMark's Jesus was NOT willing to be crucified.

Sinaiticus gMark 14
34 And said to them: My soul is encompassed with sorrow even to death: remain here and watch.

35 And going forward a little he fell on the ground, and prayed that if it was possible the hour might pass away from him;

36 And he said: Abba, Father, all things are possible for thee; remove this cup from me: yet not what I will, but what thou.

Examine verse 39.

Sinaiticus gMark 14
39 And again he went away and prayed, saying the same word.

Mark 4
--10 And when he was alone, those about him with the twelve asked him about the parables.

11 And he said to them: To you is given the mystery of the kingdom of God but to them that are without all things are done in parables;

12 that seeing they may see and may not perceive; and hearing they may hear and not understand; lest perhaps they should turn and it should be forgiven them.

Jesus in the short gMark did NOT want the populace to know the he was the Christ.

Sinaiticus Mark 827
And Jesus and his disciples went forth into the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, saying to them: Who do men say that I am?

28 They answered him, saying: John the Baptist, and others, Elijah, but others, One of the prophets.

29 And he asked them: But you, who say you that I am? Peter answering said to him: Thou art the Christ.

30 And he charged them to tell no one concerning him.

In the the EARLIEST version of the Jesus story, the Jesus character did NOT even tell his own disciples he was Christ and then ordered them NOT to tell anyone after Peter claimed Jesus was the Christ.

gMatthew--another EARLY version of the myth/fiction fables is in agreement with the short gMark.

Jesus in the early versions of the Gospel was NOT willing to be KILLED and did not claim he was a Sacrifice for Remissions of Sins for mankind.

It was the LATER EMBELLISHMENT called gJohn where Jesus claimed he was SENT to be sacrificed.

Sinaiticus gJohn 3.
16 For God so loved the world, that []he gave his only begotten Son[/b], that whoever believes on him might not perish, but have life eternal.

No such Love and Sacrifice for remission of sins is in the earliest version of the myth/fiction fables called gMark and gMatthew.

The early version of the Jesus story had NOTHING at all to do with Remission of Sins by Sacrifice.

Mike S wrote:Furthermore, would the early Jewish Christians have wanted to create or foster a faith which subsequently ended up condemning them?

That is evidence that there was no such thing as early Jewish Christians.

Name a Jewish Christian in any historical source of antiquity.

There is NOT a single Jewish Christian in ALL CONTEMPORARY historical sources.

1. No Jews were Christians OUTSIDE the Bible and Apologetics.

2. No Jews wrote about Jesus of Nazareth OUTSIDE the Bible and Apologetics.

3. No ancient manuscript with Jesus stories has been found in Judea.

4. Ancient manuscripts dated to the 1st century and found around the Dead Sea do not mention Jesus or any of his supposed disciples.

There is simply no evidence at all of early Jewish Christians.
dejuror

Print view this post

#41056  Postby duvduv » Oct 02, 2015 8:36 pm

And it should be pointed out that no traditional Jewish sources of the first centuries CE mention anything about Jewish Christians, Jesus of the NT, Paul or anything else, as one would expect to see since they discuss Saduccees and Samaritans.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#41057  Postby dejuror » Oct 03, 2015 1:10 am

duvduv wrote:And it should be pointed out that no traditional Jewish sources of the first centuries CE mention anything about Jewish Christians, Jesus of the NT, Paul or anything else, as one would expect to see since they discuss Saduccees and Samaritans.

In effect, the Jesus story is in a far worse condition than previously thought.

Not only do no accepted historical sources mention Jesus of Nazareth and his disciples but Scholars have REJECTED the authors of the "biography" of Jesus called Gospels.

Scholars have REJECTED the attribution of the Gospels to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

In addition, the Gospels Falsely attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are total fiction/myth with respect to the 'biography' of Jesus.

This is the 'support' for the HJ argument.

1. No historical evidence for Jesus of Nazareth.

2. The 'biography' of Jesus is total fiction from the Holy Ghost conception to the Ascension in a cloud..

3. All the Gospels are FALSELY attributed.

The HJ argument must be the very worse argument known to mankind.
dejuror

Print view this post

#41058  Postby Mike S » Oct 03, 2015 4:59 am

Ah, it only gets better, dejuror!

So, simply no evidence of Jewish Christians, eh?

The Ebionites and Nazoraeans were Jewish Christians!

I only accidentally just stumbled across this quote by Theodoret: “The Nazarenes are Jews who venerate Christ as a just man merely, and it is said they use the Gospel according to Peter.”

Hegesippus, Christianity’s first chronicler, was a Jewish Christian, an Ebionite, and like others of that sect, strongly opposed to Paul. He also relied on the Gospel of the Hebrews, and likewise strongly favored James the Just: “James, the Lord's brother, succeeds to the government of the Church, in conjunction with the apostles. He has been universally called the Just, from the days of the Lord down to the present time.”

“What is commonly regarded as his defect is in reality one of his greatest merits as a witness: he was a Hebrew, and looks at the Church from the standpoint of ‘James the Lord's brother.’”

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... ippus.html

What’s more, I doubt you’d bother, but I strongly suggest that you read at least the introduction to Jewish Believers in Jesus: The Early Centuries, a quality text by Skarsaune and Hvalvik.

http://khazarzar.skeptik.net/books/jewbelje.pdf

I thought the following interesting too, and quoted a portion thereof (headed: Some Jewish Christians Join with the Great Church) at this post’s close:

http://www.hope-of-israel.org/Ebionitehist.html

From the same link: “There is a clear profile only of the Jewish Christians of Palestine-Syria, who insistently emphasized their connection with the original cell of Christianity in Jerusalem and Galilee. This, and most of the information we have about them, comes from literary remains attributed to their circles. The polemic writings of the Church Fathers about the various Jewish Christian groups are unreliable due to obvious prejudice against those who would oppose their teachings. The Jewish Christians had independent theological and literary traditions, and represented, from the turn of the century to the third century, a group which was independent of the Great Church and whose outward form does not conform with their hesiological characterization (Walter Bauer, Orthodoxy and Heresy, Tubingen, 1964, p. 274).”

I can’t present another theory?

No need – it is scholarly well established that Christianity’s very earliest roots basically sprung from those minority Jews willing to accept Jesus as the Messiah, even as they observed ordinary Jewish traditions. The Jewish groups spread across the Empire were themselves of course anything but uniform in their religious practices, or traditions, but let's leave that one alone.

You repeatedly note that “Theories are developed from existing evidence---not speculation and assumptions”, yet, in post after post, you seem to make sweeping assertions without ever offering a shred of evidence.

You assert that the ‘Jesus story’ was initiated after the fall of the Jewish Temple in the year 70, with the propaganda that the Jews KILLED the Son of God called Jesus.

How is it though that all the relevant sources only speak of a possible split between Christianity and Judaism, not some new creation of either? And ‘after the fall isn’t very specific – when exactly?

Wikipedia: “The split of early Christianity and Judaism took place during the first centuries of the Common Era. It is commonly attributed to a number of events, including the rejection and crucifixion of Jesus (c. 33), the Council of Jerusalem (c. 50), the destruction of the Second Temple and institution of the Jewish tax in 70, the postulated Council of Jamnia c. 90, and the Bar Kokhba revolt of 132–135.”

Whereas historian Shaye J. D. Cohen suggests the view I happen to favor:

“The separation of Christianity from Judaism was a process, not an event. The essential part of this process was that the church was becoming more and more gentile, and less and less Jewish, but the separation manifested itself in different ways in each local community where Jews and Christians dwelt together. In some places, the Jews expelled the Christians; in other, the Christians left of their own accord.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_of_ ... nd_Judaism

You assert: "All EXISTING manuscripts and Codices with stories of Jesus are DATED AFTER the Fall of the Jewish Temple c 70 CE."

I suppose the catch here resides in the word ‘existing’! Other than that, dating manuscripts, or remnants thereof, more than two thousand years old with any kind of accuracy is fraught with difficulty. Your assertion is simply a blatant misuse of the argument from silence.

Then, the earliest copy of Justin’s Dialogue With Trypho comes to us imperfectly only in the Paris Codex of 1364, yet in your earlier post you saw fit to quote from it unreservedly, as authentically representing Justin’s words!

You then say: "All Christian writings which mentioned the reason for the Fall of the Jewish Temple c 70 CE claimed it was because the Jews KILLED the Son of God."

You couldn’t possibly be familiar with all mentions of the fall of the Jewish Temple in all of the Christian writings! Neither does mention of such a reason logically substantiate the subsequent creation of any Jesus tale.

You reject my assertion that Christian theology has always vowed that ‘Jesus gave his life gladly, as a sacrifice for our sins - rendering the particular human actors involved irrelevant’, citing quotations from the Gospel of Mark instead.

The link following furnishes a veritable galaxy of scriptural references supporting my claim:

http://biblehub.com/galatians/1-4.htm

In part derived from the Gospel of Peter (which held that Jesus and Christ were different – Jesus really suffered, but Christ only in appearance), and heavily interpolated, I don’t think we should, in isolation, pay too much attention to Mark’s particular brand of woo, do you?

No ancient manuscript with Jesus stories has been found in Judea?

As mentioned before, I doubt that early Christianity had much to do with the Holy Land. Look to the Jewish Christians in Syria, my friend, in Alexandria and Rome.

“Some Jewish Christians join with the Great Church -

According to Eusebius (Eccl. Hist. V. xii), up to the year 135 A.D. there were fifteen bishops of the circumcision who succeeded one another and who possessed all the marks of a kind of monarchical episcopate over the congregations of the Jewish Christian Church. Schoeps feels that this number can hardly be correct and thinks that perhaps bishops of other congregations beside the one designated as Jerusalems are included in this list (H. Schoeps, Theology, pp. 266 f).

With the fall of Bether, the last Jewish stronghold, in 135 A.D., the revolt led by the Jewish partisan Bar Cocheba which had lasted for three and one-half years came to its end. This year marks the end of the Jewish Christian congregation of Jerusalem (at Pella). According to the list of bishops provided by Eusebius, their last bishop, Judas, resided there until the eighteenth year of Hadrian’s reign (134-135 A.D.). Tradition ascribed to this last bishop the surname Kyriakos, which appears to bring him into relationship with Jesus' family (H. Schoeps, Jewish Christianity, p. 34).

The next bishop in the episcopal seat of James, Marcus (Mark) by name, was not of Jewish origin. Marcus was a Gentile, probably a native either of Italy or of the Latin provinces. At his persuasion, the most considerable part of the congregation at Pella renounced the Mosaic Law, in the practice of which they had persevered above a century. By this sacrifice of their habits and culture, they purchased a free admission into the colony of Hadrian, into Jerusalem, and firmly cemented their union with the Catholic Church (Eusebius, IV. vi.; Sulpicius Severus, ii. 31). By comparing their unsatisfactory accounts, Mosheim de Rebus (Christians before Constantine the Great, p. 327, etc.) has drawn out a very distinct representation of the circumstances and motives of this revolution.

Here again, it is interesting to notice that while the pagans did not have to give up their culture or rites, the Jewish Christians were required to forsake their observance of the Mosaic Law. Those Nazarenes who remained at Pella and continued in obedience to the Law were called heretics and mocked as Ebionites (poor in doctrine) by the Catholic Church (E. Gibbon, p. 391).”
Mike S

Print view this post

#41059  Postby dejuror » Oct 04, 2015 1:03 am

Mike S wrote:Ah, it only gets better, dejuror!

So, simply no evidence of Jewish Christians, eh?

The Ebionites and Nazoraeans were Jewish Christians!

There is no evidence of Jewish Christians who worshiped a character called Jesus Christ as their Lord, Savior and Messiah.

The same sources that mention the so-called "Ebionites" and "Nazaroeans" are the same ones which FALSELY claim there were Christians in the time of Nero, falsely claimed a single person wrote ALL the Epistles under the name of Paul and falsely claimed that the Gospels were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The Jews are still waiting for the advent of their prophesied CHRIST [Messiah] up to this very day.

We have writings attributed to supposed Jews like Philo and Josephus also there are the Dead Sea Scrolls and there is NOTHING whatsoever about Ebionites, Nazaroeans or any other Jesus Christ cult Christians.

As was expected NO manuscripts from the assumed Jewish Christians have ever been found any where .
Mike S wrote:
I only accidentally just stumbled across this quote by Theodoret: “The Nazarenes are Jews who venerate Christ as a just man merely, and it is said they use the Gospel according to Peter.”

Well, I "accidentally" stumbled across writings attributed to 1st century Jews [Philo and Josephus] and those writings do not mention any Jesus Christ cult at all.

The Dead Sea Scrolls also do not corroborate the claims of Theodoret.
Mike S wrote:
Hegesippus, Christianity’s first chronicler, was a Jewish Christian, an Ebionite, and like others of that sect, strongly opposed to Paul. He also relied on the Gospel of the Hebrews, and likewise strongly favored James the Just: “James, the Lord's brother, succeeds to the government of the Church, in conjunction with the apostles. He has been universally called the Just, from the days of the Lord down to the present time.”

The writings attributed to Hegesippus are of no historical value. .

Philo, Josephus and the Dead Sea Scrolls do not corroborate a single sentence about Jesus Christ, James, the disciples and the Ebionites in the writings of Hegesippus or any apologetic source including the Christian Bible stories of Jesus and the Jesus cult.

You will NEVER EVER find any actual manuscript composed by Hegesippus or Ebionites.
dejuror

Print view this post

#41060  Postby Mike S » Oct 04, 2015 8:07 am

The writings attributed to Hegesippus are of no historical value, dejuror?

I doubt any scholar would agree with you. Every bit of information garnered goes toward solving the larger puzzle.

From Eusebius: “He also states some particulars from the Gospel of the Hebrews, and from the Syriac, and particularly from the Hebrew language, showing that he himself was a convert from the Hebrews. Other matters he also records, as taken from the unwritten tradition of the Jews. And not only he, but Irenaeas also, and the whole body of the ancients called the Proverbs of Solomon, Wisdom, comprehending every virtue. Also in discoursing on the books called apocryphal, he relates that some were forged in his day, by some of the heretics.

Peter Kirby has a fine piece on Hegesippus, called Chasing Hegesippus:

http://peterkirby.com/chasing-hegesippus.html

There is no evidence of Jewish Christians who worshiped a character called Jesus Christ as their Lord, Savior and Messiah?

Even though you’re obviously shifting the goal posts away from the unsubstantiated claim that Christianity was created after the year 70 by way of the fiction that the Jews killed Jesus, I doubt there’s a member here who’s not aware that even if your grand assertions are disproved a dozen or more times, and more categorically than two plus two making four, you’ll still simply repeat them again at the first opportunity, each time with some new semantic twists of course.

You’ve yourself in the past called on Bart Erhman in support of various claims, so who better for me to quote: -

The Ebionite Christians [...] believed that Jesus was the Jewish Messiah sent from the Jewish God to the Jewish people in fulfillment of the Jewish Scriptures. They also believed that to belong to the people of God, one needed to be Jewish. As a result, they insisted on observing the Sabbath, keeping kosher, and circumcising all males. [...] An early source, Irenaeus, also reports that the Ebionites continued reverence to Jerusalem, evidently by praying in its direction during their daily acts of worship. Their insistence on staying (or becoming) Jewish should not seem especially peculiar from a historical perspective, since Jesus and his disciples were Jewish. But the Ebionites' Jewishness did not endear them to most other Christians, who believed that Jesus allowed them to bypass the requirements of the Law for salvation. The Ebionites, however, maintained that their views were authorized by the original disciples, especially by Peter and Jesus' own brother, James, head of the Jerusalem church after the resurrection.” (Lost Christianities, 2003)

NO manuscripts from the assumed Jewish Christians have ever been found?

The following snippets are from Early Christian Writings: -

“Among the Ebionite writings we must mention first those of Symmachus. He is known for his translation of the Old Testament into Greek (c. 161-211), but composed also commentaries on an adulterated gospel of St. Matthew; the so-called Journeys of Peter (Periodoi Petrou); interpolated Acts of the Apostles in use among the members of the sect, which included the Ascents of James (oi anabaqmoi 'Iakwbou); and, most important of all, the Clementine Romances, which have been preserved.

According to Waitz and Harnack, the Homilies and the Recognitions are two independent recensions of an anterior work which bore, perhaps, the title of Clement's Epitome of the Sermons made by St. Peter (KlhmentoV twn Petrou epidhmewn khrugmatwn epitomh) or Journeys of Peter [written] by Clement (Periodoi Petrou dia KlhmentoV; v. supra). This work is regarded as the synthesis of two others still more ancient, —the Sermons of Peter (Khrugmata Petrou), clearly Ebionite-Gnostic, and the Acts of Peter (PraxeiV Petrou), anti-Gnostic.

The Homilies and the Recognitions, and the writings of which they are summaries, are said to be the work of orthodox authors, whose primary purpose was to write an edifying apology, but who did not take sufficient care to eliminate the Judeo-Christian characteristics contained in the Khrugmata. Harnack thinks that the Homilies and the Recognitions received their present form in the fourth century at Rome, or in Syria, the book of which they are recensions having been composed between 225 and 300 at Rome, and the two primitive works c. 200.

A work entitled The Book of Elkesai (Elxai), brought to Rome c. 220-230 by a certain Alcibiades, was attributed to Elkesai (Elxai), the (problematical) founder of the sect of the Elkesaites. St. Epiphanius mentions a book of Jexai, brother of Elkesai, which was also in use in the sect.”

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... on1-3.html

The Gospel of the Ebionites (Gospel of the Hebrews), The Twelve Patriarchs, The Christian Sibyllines, Odes of Solomon, and the Ascension of Isaiah are some other Jewish Christian productions.

A fair slice of these writings still exist, in one form or another anyway.

The Jews are still waiting for the advent of their prophesied CHRIST [Messiah] up to this very day?

I admire their patience.
Mike S

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity