I'm re-writing the bible

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: I'm re-writing the bible

#861  Postby Blood » Sep 19, 2015 12:29 am

Agrippina wrote:

Then there's the ubiquitous "to this day" when they speak of historical places. If the text was written by a fictional Moses, and if he was writing in the 13th century BCE, then he wouldn't have used that phrase to confirm the antiquity of something.

Herodotus uses a very similar construction to connote great antiquity. It's another one of the many, many things that the Biblical writers got from Herodotus.
"One absurdity having been granted, the rest follows. Nothing difficult about that."
- Aristotle, Physics I, 185a
Blood

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#862  Postby Agrippina » Sep 19, 2015 5:18 am

Yes, indeed.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#863  Postby Agrippina » Oct 01, 2015 5:51 am

Here's another point to ponder. I'm working on Exodus now, verse by verse, and coming across little tidbits I overlooked in the previous general reading, like:

Levi's daughter, Jochabed, marries her nephew, Kohath. They breed two sons: Moses and Aaron. Moses marries a daughter of a Midianite priest, who circumcises her son, according to Abraham's covenant, while Moses it says remains uncircumcised, even though this is only two generations after Jacob, who's son Simeon, Moses' mother's brother, circumcised a whole town when one of them raped his sister Dinah, Wouldn't the Hebrews till be doing this? Moses would have been circumcised before he was put into a boat in the river, and if not then, he would have been circumcised according to Egyptian practice at some time before reaching full maturity, seeing he was 40 when he absconded after killing an Egyptian. Herodotus tells of the practice among Egyptians but not only that, there are inscriptions on walls demonstrating them doing this. It makes my eyes roll.

Then there's another one. Aaron and Moses have a cousin, Ammindab, their uncle Uzziel's son. Aaron marries his daughter, Elisheba. So here we have double incest, aunt and nephew and their great-granddaughter, and grandson intermarrying. How do theists not see this as immoral. I thought of how revolted I would be, as would her father, if his brother asked to marry my granddaughter. Or is this applying 21st century morality to ancient practices?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#864  Postby Agrippina » Oct 06, 2015 9:16 am

Here's something to ponder. In Exodus 12:1 it clearly says:

And the Lord spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying, This month shall be unto you the beginning of months:it shall be the first month of the year to you

The first day of the Passover, is to be the first day of the first month of the year. In other words, the year is to begin on the day determined to be the first of Nisan, not the day on which they celebrate the New Year, Rosh Hashanah. In fact the Torah does not mention Rosh Hashanah. The reason for it is the same reason that the new school year in the north starts in September and not in January as it does in the south: because of the harvest.

Sometime between the Torah and the codification of the Mishnah, the autumn new year gained ascendance, now transformed into a major celebration, and the Nisan new year was left as a marker of the months and festivals in the calendar year. Although theories abound about the causes of this transition, the mechanics are lost in the web of historical change. The Talmudic rabbis analyze the text of the Bible as they argue about when the New Year should began, yet different sets of verses yield different answers. Historians cite evidence from the ancient Near East, looking at the new years celebrated by neighboring peoples, but nothing is conclusive. Others look to archeology for support. But the truth remains murky.

Some ancient Semitic peoples considered the year to begin around the autumn harvest and the beginning of the rainy season, which both signified the start of a new agricultural year. Although the Torah never explicitly refers to an autumn new year, some scholars see in the Torah’s apparent timing of the fall harvest festival (Sukkot) a small hint of a possible fall new year. According to Exodus 23:26, the Feast of the Harvest, which closely follows Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, occurs, b’tzayt ha-shanah, at the going out of the year, signifying the close of one agricultural year and the beginning of the next. Similarly in Exodus 34:22, the Feast of the Ingathering is said to occur t’kufat hashanah, “at the turn of the year.” Further evidence of the fall as the beginning of the agricultural year in Palestine is a calendar from the 10th century BCE found at Tel Gezer, which begins with the two Months of the Ingathering.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/how-rosh-hashanah-became-new-years-day/2/

So it seems that not only Christians cherry-pick which verses of the Bible they choose to obey.

Here's some more: it says later on that 600,000 men left Egypt. That's a huge number of people. Considering that maybe not all of them had sheep, so they had a lamb to slaughter, or didn't have a big enough household to justify the killing of a lamb for only one or two people, so they went to a neighbour's house to celebrate. How did the Egyptians not notice more than half a million lambs being slaughtered and barbecued on the same day? Imagine if your neighbours on either side of you decided to hold a barbecue cooking meat of that size, a whole spit-roasted lamb which would take around a day to cook, wouldn't you wonder why they were doing that? But not only that, why were they also painting their doorways with the blood? And why didn't an all-knowing god know which houses were holding a barbecue, did he also lose his sense of smell? Or was he not yet omniscient?
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#865  Postby Alan B » Oct 06, 2015 9:35 am

Over half a million?

600 max. more likely.

Just like Plato who got his coils of rope and sheaves of wheat mixed up when reading Egyptian Hieroglyphics - hence Atlantis. Or so I've heard.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#866  Postby Agrippina » Oct 06, 2015 9:49 am

Alan B wrote:Over half a million?

600 max. more likely.

Just like Plato who got his coils of rope and sheaves of wheat mixed up when reading Egyptian Hieroglyphics - hence Atlantis. Or so I've heard.

It says 600,000 men, excluding children (i.e. boys) left Egypt, that means that if there was a household for each man, more than half a million sheep. And the Egyptians didn't notice the mass barbecue going on. If each of the men had a household that is, and allowing for the ones who had only themselves and their wives, no children, perhaps a tenth of them.

Exodus 12:37 And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.

That's a lot of sheep, and bodied doorposts.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#867  Postby Alan B » Oct 06, 2015 12:37 pm

That's what I meant. Someone got their 'hearsay' figures muddled up. And so we have this ludicrous figure of 600,000 men...

I wonder what the native population of Egypt was at that time?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#868  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2015 4:31 am

Alan B wrote:That's what I meant. Someone got their 'hearsay' figures muddled up. And so we have this ludicrous figure of 600,000 men...

I wonder what the native population of Egypt was at that time?

I looked that up yesterday, around 5m. http://reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/people/index.html

This is something the writers didn't consider, and people who believe that the story really happened don't think about.

When it speaks about the "death of the firstborn" it claims that the first member of every single family born into that family died, including all the animals. So there's a mother cat (there would be lots of those seeing they were sacred) feeding her litter of kittens, when the first one born dies. Now apply that image to every single animal in the country, and every single family. The text says not a household was exempt. If that many people died, there would have been something about it in the Egyptian records.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#869  Postby Alan B » Oct 07, 2015 7:26 am

As much as 5m? Well, if you accept the 600,000 figure of men and add the women and children you would be getting on towards half the total population of Egypt...
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#870  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2015 7:33 am

Indeed. The writers didn't think about that. Imagine how the embalmers had a windfall having to get rid of all those dead bodies while dealing with their own people who died simply because the god of the Hebrews wanted to play silly games.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#871  Postby Alan B » Oct 07, 2015 8:10 am

And of course, you mustn't forget the sheep... :naughty:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#872  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2015 8:45 am

Alan B wrote:And of course, you mustn't forget the sheep... :naughty:

Indeed. Half a million of them being roasted, and not a single Egyptian came over with a bottle of wine and some salad to ask if they could join what was obviously a party. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#873  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2015 8:46 am

I've started promoting the books on my blog site: http://rationalisingthebible.blogspot.co.za
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#874  Postby Leucius Charinus » Oct 07, 2015 10:16 am

Agrippina wrote:I've started promoting the books on my blog site: http://rationalisingthebible.blogspot.co.za

Cool blog.

Will have to read more.

I liked this: http://rationalisingthebible.blogspot.c ... craft.html

The people who wrote the Gospels were selling a product. They wanted their readers to buy the product, in exactly the same way that the peddlers of religion still want their congregations to put money into their coffers, so they sell the idea of miracles, and “mysterious ways,” and “we don’t always get our prayers answered” and so on. It’s really a no-win situation for those of us who don’t support religion.

Yes. It was, and to some extent still is, a ruthless monopoly business.

There is no defence against the blind faith that makes people who believe the magic (also known as miracles) in the Bible is miraculous, while people who learn how to make their assistants disappear are evil, or that Harry Potter is casting real, effective spells, when they believe that Moses actually did cause an army of Egyptians to be drowned in an opened, dry seabed

FWIW in todays world I see a spectrum of the faithful. At one end we have the fundamentalists and radicals and extremists who tend to be extremely prejudiced, ignorant and destructive. At the other end we have the progressive religious leaders and spokes-people who are clearly neither prejudiced, ignorant nor destructive.

It is apt to have biblical Miracles and Harry Potter both mentioned in the one sentence.

Well done.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#875  Postby Agrippina » Oct 08, 2015 9:35 am

Thank you so much. :thumbup:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#876  Postby Agrippina » Oct 08, 2015 9:40 am

Leucius Charinus wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I've started promoting the books on my blog site: http://rationalisingthebible.blogspot.co.za

Cool blog.

Will have to read more.

I liked this: http://rationalisingthebible.blogspot.c ... craft.html

The people who wrote the Gospels were selling a product. They wanted their readers to buy the product, in exactly the same way that the peddlers of religion still want their congregations to put money into their coffers, so they sell the idea of miracles, and “mysterious ways,” and “we don’t always get our prayers answered” and so on. It’s really a no-win situation for those of us who don’t support religion.

Yes. It was, and to some extent still is, a ruthless monopoly business.

There is no defence against the blind faith that makes people who believe the magic (also known as miracles) in the Bible is miraculous, while people who learn how to make their assistants disappear are evil, or that Harry Potter is casting real, effective spells, when they believe that Moses actually did cause an army of Egyptians to be drowned in an opened, dry seabed

FWIW in todays world I see a spectrum of the faithful. At one end we have the fundamentalists and radicals and extremists who tend to be extremely prejudiced, ignorant and destructive. At the other end we have the progressive religious leaders and spokes-people who are clearly neither prejudiced, ignorant nor destructive.

It is apt to have biblical Miracles and Harry Potter both mentioned in the one sentence.

Well done.

It's interesting for me to see how my knowledge and thinking evolved over the years since I first starting putting it together. I started out as an avid atheist just looking for an argument about what I honestly believed was a load of nonsense. Over the years and with every reading my attitude changed. So while I'll still pick fights with fundamentalists who believe that the flood/exodus/miracles actually really did happen, I'm happy to discuss the hidden meanings in the texts, and the intricacies of how the genealogies were worked out, with people who are knowledgeable about the theology. I've had a few chats with educated people who've come away from the discussion saying that I'm the most unusual atheist they've met, and that it's fun to discuss their belief with someone who doesn't call them deluded.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#877  Postby Alan B » Oct 08, 2015 9:45 am

Sensible approach. 'Though some theists are their own worst enemy.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#878  Postby Agrippina » Oct 08, 2015 10:04 am

Alan B wrote:Sensible approach. 'Though some theists are their own worst enemy.

They are indeed. When people roll their eyes when I counter, "isn't God great designing birds so that they are camouflaged in the trees" with "isn't it amazing how they evolved to do that" then I'm inclined to take them on, and call them deluded. But then I remember that I want people to listen to my arguments and if I want them to have an open mind, I should at least allow them their delusions until they are convinced otherwise by my brilliant oratory. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#879  Postby Agrippina » Oct 16, 2015 11:56 am

Exodus 19 has had me rolling my eyes and shaking my head today. This is from the text of my chapter on this pre-commandment chapter.

This is really a bit much. First he tells Moses to come up the mountain to tell him that he will take care of the people if they obey his law. So Moses goes down to tell them this.
Then he tells him to come back up the mountain to hear about how they should wash their clothes and be sanctified before he will come to visit them. Fine. He does that. It’s a bit of a big deal because they’ve been in their clothes for three months, and they're in the desert, so there’s not that much water for drinking, let alone for washing clothes, and knowing human nature, with all the bodies wandering around waiting for the newly-washed clothes to dry, there had to have been more than a little excitement, and some hanky-panky going on, otherwise why would Moses add the bit about not “coming at your wives”?
When this is done, he goes up the mountain again, this time in the midst of a huge thunderstorm, only to be told by God to stop the people, and the priests, who haven’t yet been appointed, from coming up the mountain. Then when Moses, who must have been a little peeved by now, says “but you told me to fence the mountain so they can’t come up to bother you”, God has a hissy-fit and tells him to go away, and not to come back without his brother, but not those non-existent priests.
I have to ask the question: why didn’t God just make everything happen? Why didn’t he just deposit some rocks at the foot of the mountain, with all his laws written on them, then tell Moses to just pick up the rocks and inform the people of the laws? Why all the posturing and the lying about appearing to the people?
Seriously though, how do people reading the Bible, and who claim that it was written by Moses, and that it makes sense, still believe that this is the basis of human morality? It doesn't make sense. It’s just jumbled mythology, written by authors who didn't collaborate on the project, and assembled by someone who cobbled it together, after someone else filled in the gaps with some of his own writing.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#880  Postby Agrippina » Oct 19, 2015 10:21 am

I started this thread with "I'm rewriting the Bible" but then after reading the first few chapters, I gave up, and analysed the original instead.

Then today, I did that with Exodus 20, and thought I'd share this essay with you, asking for comments.

This chapter contains two main threads: one is the ten laws handed down to the people gathered at the foot of the mountain, the other is the instruction about altar-building.
These eleven rules make a total of sixteen laws handed to the Israelites until the more complex ones in the following chapters, and in the subsequent books.
They are:
Circumcision (Genesis 17).
Passover (Exodus 12).
Redemption of the firstborn (Exodus 13).
Obey God in all things (Exodus 15).
Gather food on the 6th day so there is plenty for the 7th (Exodus 16).
Worship only God and love him (Exodus 20:2 & 6).
Do not make idols, or worship idols (Exodus 20:4-6).
Do not speak his name (Exodus 20:7).
Keep the sabbath (Exodus 20:8-11)
Honour your parents (Exodus 20:12).
Do not kill (murder) (Exodus 20:13).
Do not commit adultery (Exodus 20:14).
Do not steal (Exodus 20:15).
Do not commit perjury (Exodus 20:16).
Do not covet your neighbour’s possessions (including his wife and livestock) (Exodus 20:17)..
Make an altar for burnt offerings, without using carved stone, or steps leading up to it. (Exodus 20:24-26).

I want to comment on these laws.
There is an excess of law about how God is to be worshipped. He is to be loved, indeed to not love God is to welcome his wrath brought down on your head. His name is not to be spoken in vain. How this is to be achieved is evidenced by the way that Jewish websites spell his name without the “o” :G-d”. Also there is much said about the altar that is to be built for the worshipping of him. No axe may touch the stone, it is to be made of raw rock, and no steps should lead up to the rock where the burnt offering is to be placed. Also a whole day, every week, is to be set aside for the worshipping of him.

Not only that, all the earlier laws also apply to the worshipping of God. Circumcision is the outer sign of the covenant made with him. The covenant is that he will be the god of the circumcised. By circumcising your son you are making the pact with God for his protection over the life of your son without his consent.

The Passover is more about worshipping the God that allowed the Israelites to escape from Egypt. History has no record of this event, thus when the Jewish people celebrate this holiday, they are blindly obeying a law based on a myth, or to be blunt, a lie.

Obeying God in all things, handing over your firstborn to God, gathering extra food on Friday so you don’t have to prepare food on the sabbath, all have to do with worshipping an egotistical god who will punish you with severe punishment, while of the sixteen laws in this first part of the canon of laws, only six of them apply to people.

Do not kill other people, do not steal from them, do not cheat on your spouse, obey your parents, do not lie, do not envy other people’s possessions.

Six laws, and not one of them about treating your wife and children with respect. That’s understandable, because under this canon of laws, your wife and children are mere possessions.

What is interesting though is that if your wife is only a possession, is her adultery against the law of adultery, or is it against her lover coveting her as a possession?

Also there is no law stating the rules of the marriage ceremony. Throughout all of the previous texts it speaks about “taking a wife”. It doest not state specifically how the wife is to be taken.

These men are commanded to have their genitals mutilated, spend their lives grovelling to a god who has to be worshipped at an altar without steps because the climbing of the steps is akin to exposing those mutilated genitals to him, while they are merely told to not lie to, or about, their friends, not steal their possessions, not kill them, and to obey their parents, no matter how horrible those parents are.

Here’s the laws I would have like to have seen in ten “commandments”:
Treat your children well.
Do no harm to other living things.
Do not steal.
Do not lie.
Do not cheat on your spouse.
Clean up after yourself.
Treat nature with respect leave it the way you would have like to have found it.
Make laws that encourage participation by all members of your community to make the lives of the members of that community worthwhile.
Make provision for the care of the sick and the elderly.
Do not waste your time in the worship of characters in mythology.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity