Jesus Camp

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jesus Camp

#21  Postby Rawnaeris » Mar 04, 2010 3:27 am

rezling wrote:To be honest, I always thought the 'Jesus Camps' were lots of fun. It's only seeing it from this side that it seems crazy.

I was the same. With the exception of one certain one. Camp Eagle.
I won't go into it unless someone wants the details, but when I realized I was an atheist I sat down and went through the steps of brainwashing. They did it all. :ill:

Took me more than three years to shake it off.
I am a work in progress.
Rawnaeris

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Paul1 » Mar 04, 2010 4:22 am

Just watch this never made me cry on the inside. It made me jaw drop - I was shocked about the children crying. What kind of messed up teaching centre is this!
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Jesus Camp

#23  Postby ModusPonens » Apr 02, 2010 6:27 am

Has anyone seen this film? I watched it with the free-thinking group at the university on Monday. It just... it really seemed like child abuse. I'm Christian and all, but making kids feel guilty about their "sins" just seems wrong.

I was especially bothered about the abortion bit. I'm against it, but I think it's irresponsible and abusive to stress out a little kid about the issue. I mean, those kids didn't even understand what abortion was, and they were just being exploited for political motives.

I really think it's wrong to manipulate kids like the film depicted. Seems like emotional abuse. :(

I'm still collecting my thoughts on Jesus Camp. It was difficult for me to watch, and I was wondering what all your reactions were.

I know the group that was filmed was just nutty, but it made me feel, if I have kids, I wouldn't want them to attend a Christian school. Or at least, not without my supervision (which would be impractical anyway).
irrational skeptic
ModusPonens

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby William.Young » Apr 02, 2010 6:36 am

I'd say the group was far more than "just nutty", bat-shit insane at least.
William.Young

Print view this post

#25  Postby ModusPonens » Apr 02, 2010 6:53 am

I'd have to agree with that.
irrational skeptic
ModusPonens

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby William.Young » Apr 02, 2010 7:00 am

I saw the film the year it came me out, 2006, and IIRC, there was a scene where a mother was homeschooling her kids and told them climate change was a lie (as if she'd know) and something about the lie was being perpetrated by those who hated America (atheist scientists, no doubt). I was just about as disturbed by the homeschooling as I was with the camp scenes.
William.Young

Print view this post

#27  Postby Scarlett » Apr 02, 2010 7:21 am

I'm sure I saw this in the UK a couple of years ago, I agree with you, very disturbing

I also think it was verging on child abuse, some of the kids were visibly frightened and upset. Can't remember much detail but it stuck in my mind as quite horrendous to watch :nono:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Aca » Apr 02, 2010 7:24 am

i watched bits and pieces and decided against watching it.

it would just make me angry
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#29  Postby heyjude » Apr 02, 2010 7:31 am

Ugh.. it was terrible. I can't see any difference to the Taliban and their 'training' methods actually.... complete and utter brainwashing :mob:

One slightly hopeful bit of news though....

In November 2006, Fischer announced that she would be shutting down the camp due to negative reaction towards her in the film. According to Fischer's website, the owners of the property used for the camp shown in the film were concerned about vandalism to the premises following the film's release and thus will not allow it to be used for any future camps. Fischer has said that the camp will be indefinitely postponed until other suitable premises can be found, but it will be back.

That's 2006 .... nothing since I guess.... :dance: :dance:
I think therefore I am atheist
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby heyjude » Apr 02, 2010 7:34 am

ModusPonens wrote:Has anyone seen this film? I watched it with the free-thinking group at the university on Monday. It just... it really seemed like child abuse. I'm Christian and all, but making kids feel guilty about their "sins" just seems wrong.

I was especially bothered about the abortion bit. I'm against it, but I think it's irresponsible and abusive to stress out a little kid about the issue. I mean, those kids didn't even understand what abortion was, and they were just being exploited for political motives.

I really think it's wrong to manipulate kids like the film depicted. Seems like emotional abuse. :(

I'm still collecting my thoughts on Jesus Camp. It was difficult for me to watch, and I was wondering what all your reactions were.

I know the group that was filmed was just nutty, but it made me feel, if I have kids, I wouldn't want them to attend a Christian school. Or at least, not without my supervision (which would be impractical anyway).

But I have to say...... why aren't christians speaking out to *other christians* about this kind of shit? Why on atheist forums... what about telling fellow believers that this STINKS and you guys won't stand for it?

That would really matter.
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby ModusPonens » Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

heyjude wrote:But I have to say...... why aren't christians speaking out to *other christians* about this kind of shit? Why on atheist forums... what about telling fellow believers that this STINKS and you guys won't stand for it?

Of course I'm talking to other Christians about it. I don't know Why you're assuming otherwise. I don't see why I can't bring it up here, too.
Last edited by ModusPonens on Apr 02, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irrational skeptic
ModusPonens

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm Christian and all, but making kids feel guilty about their "sins" just seems wrong.

So I suppose you don't believe in Original Sin?
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#33  Postby mmmcheezy » Apr 02, 2010 4:33 pm

I made the mistake of watching it while I was drinking. Needless to say, I took it even worse than I normally would.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby heyjude » Apr 02, 2010 4:46 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
heyjude wrote:But I have to say...... why aren't christians speaking out to *other christians* about this kind of shit? Why on atheist forums... what about telling fellow believers that this STINKS and you guys won't stand for it?

Of course I'm talking to other Christians about it. I don't know Why you're assuming otherwise. I don't see why I can't bring it up here, too.

Sorry... I wasn't particularly aiming at you. I just didn't hear christians showing any outrage when this movie came out. I remember so much talk about it... but not from people who should or would have (i.e. the community who was being painted pretty badly by this lot). I'm glad you're talking to your friends about it... please do!

You understand where I'm coming from right? It's rather like.... it would be nice to hear a vocal muslim community speaking out against islamic terrorism.
heyjude

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby crank » Apr 02, 2010 6:34 pm

It is a great movie, shows the bat-shit-craziness pretty well. Not mentioned yet I don't think is the glossolalia (speaking in tongues-or blithering utter nonsense to the sane), and the anti-Harry Potter shit, was very funny there were a couple of rogue kids who had seen it and thought it was great, most of the rest of the little freaks looked at them a little weird.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#36  Postby reddix » Apr 02, 2010 9:46 pm

This topic has come up a number of times in the past few months, but there is one thing I keep wondering.

Why, exactly, do people think the tongues thing is strange? Sure it sounds strange, but so does any foreign language. So really, what's the problem?
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby ModusPonens » Apr 02, 2010 9:52 pm

Well, that's just not sane behavior. They weren't speaking a foreign language. They were just making noises after lots of emotional abuse. At least, that's how I saw it.

Also: sorry if this is a repeat thread. I did a few searches before making a new thread but I didn't see any on the same topic. Sorry again if I've duplicated something.
irrational skeptic
ModusPonens

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby reddix » Apr 02, 2010 10:01 pm

MondusPonens wrote:Well, that's just not sane behavior. They weren't speaking a foreign language. They were just making noises after lots of emotional abuse. At least, that's how I saw it.

Sure, that's what it looks like. But have you ever done it yourself?

Essentially, yes, it's just "making noises" but that's not what it feels like. In my experience, there is more to it than that.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby crank » Apr 02, 2010 10:39 pm

rezling wrote:
MondusPonens wrote:Well, that's just not sane behavior. They weren't speaking a foreign language. They were just making noises after lots of emotional abuse. At least, that's how I saw it.

Sure, that's what it looks like. But have you ever done it yourself?

Essentially, yes, it's just "making noises" but that's not what it feels like. In my experience, there is more to it than that.

Of course I don't have a reference, I think it was here somewhere, but linguists, and cunning ones at that, have studied the phenomenon and can find no true patterns as you would find in any real language.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 02, 2010 10:56 pm

There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity