Jesus Camp

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Jesus Camp

#41  Postby reddix » Apr 02, 2010 10:59 pm

crank wrote:
rezling wrote:
MondusPonens wrote:Well, that's just not sane behavior. They weren't speaking a foreign language. They were just making noises after lots of emotional abuse. At least, that's how I saw it.

Sure, that's what it looks like. But have you ever done it yourself?

Essentially, yes, it's just "making noises" but that's not what it feels like. In my experience, there is more to it than that.

Of course I don't have a reference, I think it was here somewhere, but linguists, and cunning ones at that, have studied the phenomenon and can find no true patterns as you would find in any real language.

They wouldn't find any patterns because it is completely made up by the individual (through the Holy Spirit, of course ;)) and also changes with mood or circumstance.

I was actually hoping someone else would come along and explain it. I can only explain it physically and in religious terms. I don't know what was really happening.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Roger Cooke » Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Wasn't there a scene with Ted Haggard (before his fall from grace) in this film? Or am I simply conflating things, since they all look alike to me?

I agree, it's very heavy-handed indoctrination, from what I hear. Christians are forced to confront their kids with some things that they can't avoid, like Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac. I remember when I was a Sunday school teacher trying to explain that to a group of 10-year-olds, since it was in the curriculum. I just made it up as I went along and told them that Abraham was mistaken. God had never ordered such a thing, and the people who wrote the Bible just hadn't yet understood what God was like. In other words, I did what would have gotten me excommunicated centuries ago, if not worse. But I gather the people in "Jesus Camp" abuse the privilege---and the children. Haven't seen it and don't want to.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby crank » Apr 03, 2010 12:01 am

Roger Cooke wrote:Wasn't there a scene with Ted Haggard (before his fall from grace) in this film? Or am I simply conflating things, since they all look alike to me?

I agree, it's very heavy-handed indoctrination, from what I hear. Christians are forced to confront their kids with some things that they can't avoid, like Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac. I remember when I was a Sunday school teacher trying to explain that to a group of 10-year-olds, since it was in the curriculum. I just made it up as I went along and told them that Abraham was mistaken. God had never ordered such a thing, and the people who wrote the Bible just hadn't yet understood what God was like. In other words, I did what would have gotten me excommunicated centuries ago, if not worse. But I gather the people in "Jesus Camp" abuse the privilege---and the children. Haven't seen it and don't want to.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he is in it, and I believe it was quite shortly before his exposure.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#44  Postby crank » Apr 03, 2010 12:04 am

rezling wrote:
crank wrote:
rezling wrote:
MondusPonens wrote:Well, that's just not sane behavior. They weren't speaking a foreign language. They were just making noises after lots of emotional abuse. At least, that's how I saw it.

Sure, that's what it looks like. But have you ever done it yourself?

Essentially, yes, it's just "making noises" but that's not what it feels like. In my experience, there is more to it than that.

Of course I don't have a reference, I think it was here somewhere, but linguists, and cunning ones at that, have studied the phenomenon and can find no true patterns as you would find in any real language.

They wouldn't find any patterns because it is completely made up by the individual (through the Holy Spirit, of course ;)) and also changes with mood or circumstance.

I was actually hoping someone else would come along and explain it. I can only explain it physically and in religious terms. I don't know what was really happening.

Hi rezling, I've probably missed multiple mentions, but no avatar?

What do you mean by explain? It is something they mimic while usually trying to enter a typical religious trance state I believe. I'm not sure that whole trance thing is well understood, but it is seen broadly across most cultures and most religions, including of course shamanism, medicine men, etc.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#45  Postby reddix » Apr 03, 2010 12:49 am

I just find it annoying when people mock something they really know nothing about.

I know many people are faking it. Some are not.

Same with the falling over thing. It was probably some trick of the mind or something, but I was definitely not faking. If you were to lose feeling in you arms and legs, for whatever reason, you would probably fall over too.
reddix
RS Donator

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 03, 2010 2:19 am

Harry Potter would have put been to death.

We can't have phonies in the army of God.

How many of you want to be among those that would give up your lives for Jesus?
I brought my holy ghost hammer. We going to break some things in the heavenlies tonight. We're going to break the powrer of the enemy in government . They came to your schools and they took Jesus out out of your schools but they can't take Jesus out of your heart. We can't accept corrupt government. How many of you want to break this cup as the power of the enemy over government?

Press in, press in kids. Unlike Mcdonald's this isn't about how fast you can go thru the drive thru. You want somtihing from god you're goint to have to cook a little. You'll have to stay in the pot. Let him simmer you in the Holy Ghost.

Take these prophecies and do what the apostle Paul said and make war with them.

This means war, this means war, this means war- Are you a part of it or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Roger Cooke » Apr 04, 2010 1:57 am

I think HL Mencken said it best. This is from A Mencken Chrestomathy:

They constitute, perhaps, the most ignorant class of teachers ever set up to lead a civilized people; they are even more ignorant than the county superintendents of schools. Learning, indeed, is not esteemed in the evangelical denominations, and any literate plowhand, if the Holy Spirit inflames him, is thought to be fit to preach. Is he commonly sent, as a preliminary, to a training-camp, to college? But what a college! You will find one in every mountain valley of the land, with its single building in its bare pasture lot, and its faculty of half-idiot pedagogues and broken down preachers. One man, in such a college, teaches oratory, ancient history, arithmetic and Old Testament exegesis. The aspirant comes in from the barnyard, and goes back in a year or two to the village. His body of knowledge is that of a street-car motorman or a movie actor. But he has learned the clichés of his craft, and he has got him a long-tailed coat, and so has made his escape from the harsh labors of his ancestors, and is set up as a fountain of light and learning.
Last edited by Roger Cooke on Apr 04, 2010 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

#48  Postby elroywillis » Apr 04, 2010 3:08 am

rezling wrote:I just find it annoying when people mock something they really know nothing about.

I know many people are faking it. Some are not.

Same with the falling over thing. It was probably some trick of the mind or something, but I was definitely not faking. If you were to lose feeling in you arms and legs, for whatever reason, you would probably fall over too.

I think it's all tied to hyper-emotionalism which can make the mind do weird things, which also can affect the body.
elroywillis

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Charlieee » Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm

I've seen this film and I just think its so scary how children are allowed to be brainwashed like this into believing this stuff. It also made me question (along with that UK documentary Deborah 13 that was shown not long ago) the right to home school. I don't think its right that parents should be able to take their kids out of school and teach them whatever they like - even things that have no strong evidence behind them like creationism. Things like that should be monitored.

It would be interesting if the makers of Jesus Camp did a follow up documentary in a few years time - to see how much the children have changed, if they have started to question their faith or are still strong believers.
Charlieee

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Jeebu$ camp deleted scenes

#50  Postby DoctorE » Aug 04, 2010 10:28 am

Terrible...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbhiNPrsfMM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMQrPfqlv4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V90Mps_lAU[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Jeebu$ camp deleted scenes

#51  Postby natselrox » Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

I didn't see the videos but this one goes out to all the believers out there.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE KIDS.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Hnau von Thulcandra » Aug 05, 2010 11:01 pm

I never got how this film causes such horror. True, those Pentecostal folks do have rather odd beliefs, but so what? All I saw here was a bunch of cute kids watching Veggie Tales. ;)
"I am an Anglo-Catholic in religion, a classicist in literature, and a royalist in politics".
Hnau von Thulcandra

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Animavore » Aug 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Hnau von Thulcandra wrote:I never got how this film causes such horror. True, those Pentecostal folks do have rather odd beliefs, but so what? All I saw here was a bunch of cute kids watching Veggie Tales. ;)

What about the part, probably not in the clips above (I can't bring myself to watch), but in the film, where Becky Fisher starts telling the kids that Harry Potter is the work of Satan as she works them into a frenzy and has them all crying?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#54  Postby LIFE » Aug 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Hnau von Thulcandra wrote:I never got how this film causes such horror. True, those Pentecostal folks do have rather odd beliefs, but so what? All I saw here was a bunch of cute kids watching Veggie Tales. ;)

Ideological indoctrination and brainwashing of children.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Varangian » Aug 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Have you been to a Jesus Camp yourself?

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Hnau von Thulcandra » Aug 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Animavore wrote:
What about the part, probably not in the clips above (I can't bring myself to watch), but in the film, where Becky Fisher starts telling the kids that Harry Potter is the work of Satan as she works them into a frenzy and has them all crying?

I'm not saying I agree with them on everything. I can respect Christian concern with Harry Potter, which the present Pope has spoken against as well (thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, ya know), though I happen to love the books myself.

And my opinion is hardly going to make any change their minds, but this "Jeebus" thing in its various manifestations is really annoying. :thumbdown:
"I am an Anglo-Catholic in religion, a classicist in literature, and a royalist in politics".
Hnau von Thulcandra

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Think Floyd » Aug 06, 2010 3:05 am

DoctorE wrote:Terrible...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMQrPfqlv4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V90Mps_lAU[/youtube]

These clips truly disgust me. To indoctrinate innocent children into an ancient tradition of ignorance, fear, superstition and guilt is truly among the greatest crimes any person or institution can commit.
chairman bill wrote:
Unbridled capitalism is a scary & destructive beast. So long as society acts to tame & control it, it works quite well.
Think Floyd

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 06, 2010 3:28 am

DoctorE wrote:Terrible...

Ted Haggard's favorite story was about some guy's rod that came to life? Is this what's called foreshadowing?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby dionysus » Aug 06, 2010 3:54 am

The one thing that always freaked me out more than anything is that most of these people (the parents, kids, etc.) all seem pretty normal despite their crazy, intolerant, anti-science, anti-democratic beliefs. What it shows is that it doesn't take a complete monster to cause problems for everyone but rather a bunch of regular people who think they're doing what's best for everyone.
dionysus

Name: Lukasz
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Hnau von Thulcandra » Aug 06, 2010 3:56 am

Think Floyd wrote:
These clips truly disgust me. To indoctrinate innocent children into an ancient tradition of ignorance, fear, superstition and guilt is truly among the greatest crimes any person or institution can commit.

Well, millions of American youth get so indoctrinated every Sunday morning. How are these any different?
Hnau von Thulcandra

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity