Creationist and Evolutionist hypotheses put to the test

Scoring the arguments for and against

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Creationist and Evolutionist hypotheses put to the test

#141  Postby Alan C » Jul 13, 2020 8:01 am

Aye, shark's teeth sound good right now. Bastard had to be pulled, couldn't be saved, it appeared to be an otherwise healthy tooth too damnit. Got the cotton in the mouth again after having buggerall for lunch [been on liquids since the incident]
Up to now I'd been rather fortunate, no fillings or anything dodgy other than some wisdom teeth out when as school. A few decades then *boom*.

So yes, bollocks to Incompetent Design.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#142  Postby Fallible » Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Wow, you’ve done very well there. I had regular fluoride treatments from when I was very small to about 16, still ended up with my first filling, a root canal, if you please, at 20.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#143  Postby laklak » Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

I've had fillings since I was 4. Most of my teeth are fake now, but I can't take them out to clean them.

I've literally spent more on dental care for me, the kids, and MRs. Lak than on anything else other than a house.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Tuor » Jul 13, 2020 7:10 pm

All i know:
1 - All of those that tried to prove the existence of a Good like creature failled;
2 - All of those that tried to prove the non-existence of a Good like creature failled.
Tuor

Name: Paulo

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#145  Postby felltoearth » Jul 13, 2020 7:35 pm

Tuor wrote:
2 - All of those that tried to prove the non-existence of a Good like creature failled.

You cannot prove non-existence. The burden of evidence is on the person making a positive claim: the existence of a god or gods.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#146  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 13, 2020 7:37 pm

My tiny pet metallic green dragon says what?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#147  Postby Fallible » Jul 13, 2020 11:04 pm

What?

Oops.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Tuor » Jul 13, 2020 11:40 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Tuor wrote:

You cannot prove non-existence. The burden of evidence is on the person making a positive claim: the existence of a god or gods.

Yet, that was exactly what Stephan Hawking tried to do. Hubble proved with astronomical evidences that the universe was expanding (doppler effect), it was assumed at the time that the universe was slowing down ist expantion. Stephan Hawking, which had just graduated started working in a project were they planned to triangulate the universe using math, however the results weren't the ones the team was expecting, the universe was increasing its expantion, proving that the universe had an origin, something we currently know as the Big Bang. Stephan Hawking and the others supported the scientifical view (common then) that universe had existed since ever, but they proved otherwise, the universe did had a beggining.

Later, the Catholic Church used the newfound scientifical evidences to state the the act of creatinism was the Big Bang.
Tuor

Name: Paulo

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#149  Postby Fallible » Jul 14, 2020 12:06 am

I thought it showed that the BB was the start of the current phase of the universe, not of everything.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#150  Postby felltoearth » Jul 14, 2020 2:03 am

And what does any of that have to do with god?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#151  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 14, 2020 2:51 am

Just watch the old movie, “The Ten Commandments”.

“So let it written, so let it be done.”

When ya own a big chunk of the bloody third world...

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Alan C » Jul 14, 2020 2:58 am

Creationists are all about the cretinism.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Wortfish » Sep 24, 2020 4:52 pm

OlivierK wrote:
I couldn't be arsed going through your trainwreck of arbitrarily chosen points, but I'll do the one I quoted earlier, about the explanation of geographic diversity.

Evolution: I'm perfectly happy with your evaluation that evolution satisfactorily explains geographic diversity. Therefore 5 points.

Evolution accepts principles such as migration and population isolation that no creationist would dispute.

Creationism: You posit the possibility that kangaroos being native to only Australia could be explained by migration (zero evidence/0 points) or that they may have once been found everywhere, but became extinct outside Australia (zero evidence/0 points).

We have kangaroo-like fossils in India, the presumed route of the marsupials on the way from the Middle East (resting place of the Ark) to Australia: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 327084.cms

The ancestors of the orangutans (based in SE Asia) have also been found in India.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#154  Postby felltoearth » Sep 24, 2020 8:46 pm

I think you’ve been taken in by shitty reporting or you are simply willing to peddle bad info to suit your narrative. Let’s assume the former as the latter would characterize you as dishonest.

While all kangaroos are marsupials, not all marsupials are kangaroos. This was likely more rat-like, something akin to a possum.

Paper on its discovery, morphology and classification here.

http://palaeontologicalsociety.in/vol50_1/v11.pdf
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#155  Postby OlivierK » Sep 24, 2020 9:35 pm

Wortfish wrote:
OlivierK wrote:
I couldn't be arsed going through your trainwreck of arbitrarily chosen points, but I'll do the one I quoted earlier, about the explanation of geographic diversity.

Evolution: I'm perfectly happy with your evaluation that evolution satisfactorily explains geographic diversity. Therefore 5 points.

Evolution accepts principles such as migration and population isolation that no creationist would dispute.

Well, apart from you, right, because you marked evolution down on this regard in your original scoring, giving this "compelling evidence" "that no creationist would dispute" only 3 out of 5.
Wortfish wrote: distribution of species and the physical isolation of species provides compelling evidence for evolution. The marsupials of Australia, for example, show how an isolated region seems to produce unique animals that are not found elsewhere. (Score: 3)

This idiotic marking down is important, because even your sorry apologism couldn't stop you giving creationism more negative points than evolution.

From that point, you were left with two choices:
(a) honestly conceding that creationism is a bit shit, given that it couldn't even gain fewer negative points from a friendly, biased judge, or
(b) putting your finger on the scales and marking down evolution's positives, even when the scientific evidence is compelling, and even when you admit that even creationists would not dispute it.

You chose (b).

That says nothing at all about creationism or evolution, but plenty about why people here have so little time for your bullshit.

Be better.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#156  Postby JustStarDust » Sep 25, 2020 9:42 am

I have time for BS. It's fun.

If that BS does have some truth, then it's interesting to me. I can't speak for everyone in the forum though, obviously.

The more I listen & read about the God story, it apparently goes something like this:

God created stuff, and then Satan wanted his own creation, so God banished him to Earth. Ever since then, Satan has been trying to mess with the original creation, and tempt people to work for him. In doing so, many people assume that God did stuff that Satan actually did, so we blame God for the 'bad' stuff. Which seems pretty lame I must admit - but somewhat interesting if true.

If God does exist, then he or she or it, could fix all of the issues, creating a perfect utopia for all. But maybe it's too late? Maybe it's a huge test of faith? Maybe it's God teaching Satan that his creation methods are 'bad', because the method is cruel and mocking Gods work. Over time, it will be the humans who create the perfect world.
Humans will stop doing bad stuff and in doing so, prove to Satan that even lying and temptation wont work.
Even with or without the belief in anything 'super natural'. We need people to tell the truth, and not take bribes. Expose corruption, etc.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Wortfish » Nov 29, 2021 11:25 pm

Very interesting developments regarding predicting the outcome of the Covid-19 pandemic. As the new Omicron variant spreads around the world, creationists have been asked whether the molecular evolution of SarsCov2 is not remarkable evidence for Darwinian theory: https://creation.com/is-covid-19-evolving

These viruses are at war with the human immune system. Only the ‘strongest’ survive and any virus that is not as robust as another is going to have a hard time getting past the immune system to infect another person. Even if it does make it to another person, if the virus does not replicate as fast as others, it will be left behind in the viral reproduction race. Thus, there is abundant natural selection happening here. But despite strong selection, mutations tend to build up in predictable ways and at predictable rates. If mutations cannot be checked, the entire system will eventually degrade. There are many ways to measure this. For example, we saw a loss of codon bias and a decline in expected replication efficiency in the human H1N1 virus over time

The author appears to refer to "molecular drive", random and non-selective processes that just happen - these include mutational hotspots and biased gene conversion. There is also random drift and also genetic linkage (hitchhiking) that can result in slightly deleterious mutations reaching fixation. He then predicts that the virus will mutate itself to extinction:

In fact, over time viral infectivity should wane. As each viral strain in circulation picks up more and more mutations, it should become less and less robust. This is the essence of genetic entropy and we saw it happen within the human H1N1 virus. Yet, the process took decades in H1N1 and SARS-CoV-2 has only been around for a short time. Will genetic entropy degrade the virus? Yes. Will it happen this year? No. And, while it is degrading, it might also pick up a mutation that makes it spread faster or one that makes it more deadly.

Now, let's see the latest information on the delta variant: https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... searchers/

Now, researchers from Japan’s National Institute of Genetics have proposed that the Delta variant may have fallen victim to its own success – the rapidly-mutating strain may have mutated itself into extinction within Japan. According to the Japan Times, Ituro Inoue and colleagues believe the virus gained a mutation in its error-correcting protein, allowing for genetic errors to accumulate to such a degree that it could no longer replicate.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Hermit » Nov 30, 2021 12:55 am

Wortfish wrote:Very interesting developments regarding predicting the outcome of the Covid-19 pandemic. As the new Omicron variant spreads around the world, creationists have been asked whether the molecular evolution of SarsCov2 is not remarkable evidence for Darwinian theory: https://creation.com/is-covid-19-evolving

These viruses are at war with the human immune system. Only the ‘strongest’ survive and any virus that is not as robust as another is going to have a hard time getting past the immune system to infect another person. Even if it does make it to another person, if the virus does not replicate as fast as others, it will be left behind in the viral reproduction race. Thus, there is abundant natural selection happening here. But despite strong selection, mutations tend to build up in predictable ways and at predictable rates. If mutations cannot be checked, the entire system will eventually degrade. There are many ways to measure this. For example, we saw a loss of codon bias and a decline in expected replication efficiency in the human H1N1 virus over time

The author appears to refer to "molecular drive", random and non-selective processes that just happen - these include mutational hotspots and biased gene conversion. There is also random drift and also genetic linkage (hitchhiking) that can result in slightly deleterious mutations reaching fixation. He then predicts that the virus will mutate itself to extinction:

In fact, over time viral infectivity should wane. As each viral strain in circulation picks up more and more mutations, it should become less and less robust. This is the essence of genetic entropy and we saw it happen within the human H1N1 virus. Yet, the process took decades in H1N1 and SARS-CoV-2 has only been around for a short time. Will genetic entropy degrade the virus? Yes. Will it happen this year? No. And, while it is degrading, it might also pick up a mutation that makes it spread faster or one that makes it more deadly.

Now, let's see the latest information on the delta variant: https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-m ... searchers/

Now, researchers from Japan’s National Institute of Genetics have proposed that the Delta variant may have fallen victim to its own success – the rapidly-mutating strain may have mutated itself into extinction within Japan. According to the Japan Times, Ituro Inoue and colleagues believe the virus gained a mutation in its error-correcting protein, allowing for genetic errors to accumulate to such a degree that it could no longer replicate.

Evidence of random and non-selective processes that just happen, don't you think?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#159  Postby Macdoc » Nov 30, 2021 1:32 am

Did we get time travelled to the 17th century? :nono: FFS
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#160  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 30, 2021 6:50 am

As the new Omicron variant spreads around the world, creationists have been asked whether the molecular evolution of SarsCov2 is not remarkable evidence for Darwinian theory

Creationists have been asked by other Creationists, because Creationists are only credible to other Creationists, and were those asking Creationists not themselves Creationist, they'd consider asking a Creationist a question about evolution to be about as useful as asking a mouse to tap dance.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism