If the solar system is "fine tuned", then why...

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: If the solar system is "fine tuned", then why...

#41  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:Last time I checked, the planets were not in any danger of colliding with each other.

We don't need planets to collide to wipe out humanity. It only takes a rock a few miles wide, and there are plenty of those definitely in danger of colliding with earth.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Nautilidae » Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:Last time I checked, the planets were not in any danger of colliding with each other.

Do things need to be in danger of colliding with each other in order to be chaotic? If being in harmony is not being in danger of colliding with each other, then my father's Chevy Suburban and a Toyota in Canada are in perfect harmony.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Alan C » Jul 31, 2010 11:59 pm

Mercury as a solar-flare shield. Isn't this akin to hiding behind a phone box to protect yourself from an incoming tidal wave?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Adkinsjr » Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am

Intelligent design is incoherent. Basically proponents of ID have to argue that the Universe is finely tuned for life, except when it isn't finely tuned for life-- Asteroids, comets, weather, disease, etc.

They rejoice when it's found that "Junk" DNA turns out to have a function, but if you point out "Junk" debris and planets floating around our solar system, suddenly intelligent design is not concerned with function. The designer just decides to make a planets with nothing on them. For instance he makes Jupiter with 63 moons. Then he decides to make Saturn, he decides to put some rings around it, he puts 62 moons into orbit around it.... :scratch:
Adkinsjr

Print view this post

#45  Postby Atheistoclast » Aug 01, 2010 12:05 am

Nautilidae wrote:

Do things need to be in danger of colliding with each other in order to be chaotic? If being in harmony is not being in danger of colliding with each other, then my father's Chevy Suburban and a Toyota in Canada are in perfect harmony.

Oh, for pity's sake, we can predict the movement of the planets and all that goes on in our system....there is no chaos and disorder.
Nothing in biology makes sense when you include evolution.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Name: Joe

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Varangian » Aug 01, 2010 12:10 am

Adkinsjr wrote:Intelligent design is incoherent. Basically proponents of ID have to argue that the Universe is finely tuned for life, except when it isn't finely tuned for life-- Asteroids, comets, weather, disease, etc.

They rejoice when it's found that "Junk" DNA turns out to have a function, but if you point out "Junk" debris and planets floating around our solar system, suddenly intelligent design is not concerned with function. The designer just decides to make a planets with nothing on them. For instance he makes Jupiter with 63 moons. Then he decides to make Saturn, he decides to put some rings around it, he puts 62 moons into orbit around it.... :scratch:

Yes, but they might contain natural resources that we might mine one day. And they are useful for navigation... and they are pretty like abstract art... and the astrologers will have fun adjusting their tables for better accuracy in their sooth-saying.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#47  Postby amused » Aug 01, 2010 12:13 am

The basic setup is still very elegant. A rock big enough to hold an atmosphere, mostly covered in water, slinging itself around a big ball of fire at a safe distance to keep temperatures about right. All of that suspended in a vast space so it won't bump into anything. Yes, there are some anomalies that are less than ideal, but overall the setup is elegantly simple. And even the random asteroid has had some positive effects.

I don't think *any* of the gods we've created so far come close to accurately describing whatever it is that might have set this in motion. But I do appreciate a good bit of machinery when I see it.
amused

Print view this post

#48  Postby Varangian » Aug 01, 2010 12:18 am

amused wrote:The basic setup is still very elegant. A rock big enough to hold an atmosphere, mostly covered in water, slinging itself around a big ball of fire at a safe distance to keep temperatures about right. All of that suspended in a vast space so it won't bump into anything. Yes, there are some anomalies that are less than ideal, but overall the setup is elegantly simple. And even the random asteroid has had some positive effects.

I don't think *any* of the gods we've created so far come close to accurately describing whatever it is that might have set this in motion. But I do appreciate a good bit of machinery when I see it.

That's physics at work. Metaphysics, on the other hand, results in fail:

Douglas Adams wrote:Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.'

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#49  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 01, 2010 12:21 am

Atheistoclast wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:

Oh, for pity's sake, we can predict the movement of the planets and all that goes on in our system....there is no chaos and disorder.

Then you have no understanding of chaos or the solar system. We can only predict the orbits of NEOs after long sample periods. And even then it isn't accurate. Even the positions of the planets are unpredictable after a few million years or so. But they are the behemoths, the small shit is totally unpredictable and the most dangerous for us.

Look up the N-body problem.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Nautilidae » Aug 01, 2010 12:23 am

Atheistoclast wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:

We can predict the movement of galaxies, and most things of which we know about our universe can be predicted. Does that mean that everything that goes on in the universe isn't chaotic and that everything in the universe is in harmony? What about the Andromeda galaxy and the Milky Way galaxy? Scientists predict that they will collide in the future. Are they in harmony?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 01, 2010 12:28 am

Atheistoclast,

Here is a good article on the problem of celestial dynamics...

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2002ESASP.500..381D
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Net Traveller » Aug 01, 2010 5:34 am

one of my arguments has always been "if the solar system is fine tuned for life than why out of nine planets is there only life on one?" and that doesnt even count the various moons, I mean Jupiter has what? six moons doesn't it? If our solar system was fine tuned for life than all those moons should have various habitats and life forms on them but they dont.
self-respect is simply the act of respecting your own wants and needs.
It is simply listening to what yourself is telling you, acknowledging that, and then acting upon it.
Net Traveller

Print view this post

#53  Postby Adkinsjr » Aug 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Net Traveller wrote:one of my arguments has always been "if the solar system is fine tuned for life than why out of nine planets is there only life on one?" and that doesnt even count the various moons, I mean Jupiter has what? six moons doesn't it? If our solar system was fine tuned for life than all those moons should have various habitats and life forms on them but they dont.

Adkinsjr

Print view this post

#54  Postby Atheistoclast » Aug 01, 2010 5:29 pm

Net Traveller wrote:one of my arguments has always been "if the solar system is fine tuned for life than why out of nine planets is there only life on one?" and that doesnt even count the various moons, I mean Jupiter has what? six moons doesn't it? If our solar system was fine tuned for life than all those moons should have various habitats and life forms on them but they dont.

Of course, the moons and planets could support life one day, as well as being a source for raw materials.
Nothing in biology makes sense when you include evolution.
Atheistoclast
Banned User

Name: Joe

Iran (ir)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Nautilidae » Aug 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:

Of course, the moons and planets could support life one day, as well as being a source for raw materials.

Where's your evidence?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Adkinsjr » Aug 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:

True, but even the most hospitable planets and moons are not very hospitable. Futurists speculate about colonizing Mars, but it's an overwhelmingly difficult and far-fetched task. Mars hasn't been designed for us to live there; We would have to transform the planet ourselves. The work hasn't been done for us by the "designer."

Plus, what the hell are we going to do with quasars, pulsars, white dwarfs, red giants, black holes, asteroids, comets, etc. ? :scratch:

I guess asteroids and comets may have raw materials on them, but I don't think humans will be going anywhere near pulsars, quasars, or black holes.
Adkinsjr

Print view this post

#57  Postby Wuffy » Aug 01, 2010 6:28 pm

Adkinsjr wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

True, but even the most hospitable planets and moons are not very hospitable. Futurists speculate about colonizing Mars, but it's an overwhelmingly difficult and far-fetched task. Mars hasn't been designed for us to live there; We would have to transform the planet ourselves. The work hasn't been done for us by the "designer."

Plus, what the hell are we going to do with quasars, pulsars, white dwarfs, red giants, black holes, asteroids, comets, etc. ? :scratch:

I guess asteroids and comets may have raw materials on them, but I don't think humans will be going anywhere near pulsars, quasars, or black holes.

Heck just trying to step foot off the planet is one of the worst things we can do with the intense radiation out there.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#58  Postby orpheus » Aug 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Wuffy wrote:
Adkinsjr wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:

Heck just trying to step foot off the planet is one of the worst things we can do with the intense radiation out there.

This is why I tend to stay home on weekends.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby newolder » Aug 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Atheistoclast wrote:...there is no chaos and disorder.

A compound pendulum's swing shows how wrong 1's rectally extracted assertions can be.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8GjNdx1Js[/youtube]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Ubjon » Aug 01, 2010 6:38 pm

newolder wrote:
Atheistoclast wrote:...there is no chaos and disorder.

A compound pendulum's swing shows how wrong 1's rectally extracted assertions can be.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8GjNdx1Js[/youtube]

Cool
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism