I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: O'Reilly "Why doesn't Mars have any moons?"

#102  Postby AragornIII » Feb 14, 2011 7:27 am

z8000783 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up.

John

You are of course welcome, if you need me to be unnecessarily pedantic about some other points, you have my pm. :grin:
AragornIII
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#103  Postby z8000783 » Feb 14, 2011 7:28 am

Nothing wrong with being precise.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#104  Postby AragornIII » Feb 14, 2011 7:30 am

z8000783 wrote:Nothing wrong with being precise.

John

:lol:

Well sometimes people are far more precise than is necessary, but in science certainly, and maths. :smile:
AragornIII
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#105  Postby Zwaarddijk » Feb 14, 2011 9:39 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Most objects in the solar system have moons. That includes dwarf planets and asteroids.

This can be easily debunked mathematically!

If we grant that every moon is an object, if most objects (of which there are, let's say n instances) have a moon (and no moon has a moon), there's at least 1.5n objects. Which of course is a contradiction (there's exactly n objects and there's at least 1.5n objects). That's obvious bullshit - less than half of the objects can have moons. (Ok, I grant there's situations where moons have moons, but that's so uncommon that we can probably rule those out, in general)
- of course a situation where there's n+1 objects and only one of them doesn't have a moon is conceivable - but our solar system isn't like that, and I find it highly unlike such a system occurs anywhere. Or even one where more than half of the objects have moons.
Last edited by Zwaarddijk on Feb 14, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Katherine » Feb 14, 2011 11:42 am

z8000783 wrote:
AragornIII wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:Most objects in the solar system have moons. That includes dwarf planets and asteroids.

Actually tehcnically most objects don't. I don't have a moon, at least no one that orbits around me, more's the pity.

My wife tells me that I think the Sun shines out of my arse. I don't know if that counts.

John

Class! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Blackadder » Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

z8000783 wrote:
My wife tells me that I think the Sun shines out of my arse. I don't know if that counts.

John

So the Sun shines out of your arse? How'd it get there? Huh? How'd it get there? It just APPEARED as if by magic? Aw c'mon, do me a favour. Gawd put the Sun in your arse, to stop you talking out of it, like Bill does...
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Bill - this is for you.

4.6 billion years ago, a huge cloud of cosmic gas 24.81 billion miles across formed our Solar System. 99.90 % of that became the Sun, the rest the planets and their moons. Earth itself took 200 million years to form. During this process, part of it was ripped off - as a result of an impact with a meteor or asteroid - and subsequently became the Moon. It all settled down 4.4 billion years ago and has remained relatively stable ever since and will probably remain so for another 5 billion years until the Sun implodes and takes all the inner planets with it.

As for how we got here. Well up until 600 million years after Earth was formed there was no life here at all. Then bacteria emerged from the primordial soup and evolved to pass on genetic information which subsequently led to more advanced life forms - reptiles, fish, birds and mammals - which through the process of natural selection evolved to pass on their genetic information through geological time until the present day.

Bill - if you genuinely don't know something, then either read up on it or ask someone who does. Seriously. Thanks.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#109  Postby NineOneFour » Feb 14, 2011 1:28 pm

mraltair wrote:If I meet him I will punch him. I'll then use this video as my defence in court, there is no way I'll go down.

I almost punched a guy in San Marcos for wearing a Bill O'Reilly jacket.

My wife congratulated me on my overriding desire of pacifism.

Although I did deliberately bump into him a few times. "ooops, sorry, dude"
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#110  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 14, 2011 2:12 pm

NineOneFour wrote:I almost punched a guy in San Marcos for wearing a Bill O'Reilly jacket.

Jealousy is a terrible beast . . .
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#111  Postby lucek » Feb 14, 2011 2:17 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:. . .meteor or asteroid. . .

Planetesimal.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#112  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm

NineOneFour wrote:http://www.geekosystem.com/bill-oreilly-cant-explain-that-meme/

Oh man, I laughed so hard I think I broke my pelvis. Fucking brilliant, I hope the web gets flooded with these.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#113  Postby HughMcB » Feb 14, 2011 10:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:http://www.geekosystem.com/bill-oreilly-cant-explain-that-meme/

Oh man, I laughed so hard I think I broke my pelvis. Fucking brilliant, I hope the web gets flooded with these.

:rofl:

"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#114  Postby DanDare » Feb 15, 2011 7:43 am

I don't find BO's stupidity bothersome. There are plenty of dumb yet belligerent morons in the world. I am exasperated that he gets air time on a TV channel and is allowed to rant the way he does, instead of some kind of moderation being placed on him. All he is doing is feeding the stupids.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Creationism