Questioning Darwin

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Questioning Darwin

#101  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Mainly because mass underground train/metro systems, full of people, and hence blood, didn't exist before the London system was constructed, so these mosquitos have evolved to exploit this wholly new environment, hence it must be a new species.

Sorry I don't think you understand the definition of species. If the new population of mosquitos can breed with a different population then it's not a new species. How you can determine whether these new mosquitos are capable of breeding with other populations isn't easy to determine.
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#102  Postby bert » Feb 16, 2014 8:32 pm

questioner121 wrote:I'd like to see a dog evolve into a cat or vice versa over any length of time that can observed by successive generations of humans.

Sorry, don't have cats or dogs for you. But I do have a fish:
http://www.thinkatheist.com/photo/probl ... ntext=user

Do you rule out that his/her kids many generations down can be more adept at moving on land, in particular if it helps them to avoid predators and/or results in more food?

Bert
Fish have it harder these days, though. Back in them days for the first species to conquer land, there were no land predators.
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#103  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Oh dear, it's time for the Big Speciation ExpositionTM.

...interesting. So how do you determine if the living organism of one population is incapable of reproducing with one from another population? For example one living organism may be capable physiology wise but may just not fancy doing it behaviourally. Are there any papers where atheists evolutionists have tried it on with a chimp to see if they're part of the same species?
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby bert » Feb 16, 2014 8:39 pm

questioner121 wrote:The evidence we have is either fossils or DNA. With with either of these it's not possible to determine if species populations are able to interbreed or not. So the point still stands that it's an assumption that those populations evolved into separate species. They could have been created just as they were as separate species living side by side or maybe they were all able to interbreed meaning that they were still part of one species.

Do you know the vitamin C evidence? You have to eat it because (in contrast to the dogs and cats (and cows and pigs)) your body can't make it.
Why can't it do that? Because your parents couldn't do it either. Why? Because, as it happens, humans do have the gene necessary to synthesize it but a big chunk is missing from it. Why would a creator give us a broken gene?

Oh, and why did he give chimps and gorilla's the same broken gene? That is, with the same chunk missing from the gene? Hm, you're sure your deity didn't use evolution to magic everything the way it is now? No hubris, OK?

There is a rodent that also can't make vitamin C (I keep forgetting which one it is; sorry. Guinea pig or something). Why did it get a *different* broken gene when your deity was doling out broken genes?

Bert
Promote rational thought on religion by telling other people to download this free booklet. Read it yourself and you may well learn new arguments and a new approach to debunk religion
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2014 8:42 pm

questioner121 wrote:

...interesting. So how do you determine if the living organism of one population is incapable of reproducing with one from another population? For example one living organism may be capable physiology wise but may just not fancy doing it behaviourally. Are there any papers where atheists evolutionists have tried it on with a chimp to see if they're part of the same species?

So you're just going to continue to pretend the link I provided earlier doesn't exist?
Thank you for demonstrating you haven't the slightest inclination to discuss this topic rationally or honestly.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#106  Postby bert » Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

questioner121 wrote:
...interesting. So how do you determine if the living organism of one population is incapable of reproducing with one from another population? For example one living organism may be capable physiology wise but may just not fancy doing it behaviourally.

They try it themselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgV3yfCVVM

Are there any papers where atheists evolutionists have tried it on with a chimp to see if they're part of the same species?

There has been research
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanzee

Bert
bert

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#107  Postby DaveScriv » Feb 16, 2014 8:49 pm

questioner121 wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:
Mainly because mass underground train/metro systems, full of people, and hence blood, didn't exist before the London system was constructed, so these mosquitos have evolved to exploit this wholly new environment, hence it must be a new species.

Sorry I don't think you understand the definition of species. If the new population of mosquitos can breed with a different population then it's not a new species. How you can determine whether these new mosquitos are capable of breeding with other populations isn't easy to determine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Und ... d_mosquito

Apparently they can't (usually) breed with other mosquitos - about as much speciation as anyone could expect in only a century.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 8:58 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Apparently they can't (usually) breed with other mosquitos - about as much speciation as anyone could expect in only a century.

Usually is not good enough. If some can still breed with others then they are still part of the same species. It could be down to behaviour that the majority of the mosquitos don't breed with others from a different population. If the mosquitos have the physiological capability then I would say they are still part of the same species. I'm sure Calilasseia will be able to confirm this.
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#109  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
questioner121 wrote:

So you're just going to continue to pretend the link I provided earlier doesn't exist?
Thank you for demonstrating you haven't the slightest inclination to discuss this topic rationally or honestly.

What paper?
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2014 9:03 pm

questioner121 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
questioner121 wrote:

What paper?

I'm talking about the link to a list of observed and documented cases of speciation, a.k.a. macroevolution.
Your red herrings are not going to get you anywhere.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#111  Postby DaveScriv » Feb 16, 2014 9:03 pm

questioner121 wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:

Usually is not good enough. If some can still breed with others then they are still part of the same species. It could be down to behaviour that the majority of the mosquitos don't breed with others from a different population. If the mosquitos have the physiological capability then I would say they are still part of the same species. I'm sure Calilasseia will be able to confirm this.

I was hoping Cali would comment on London Underground Mosquitos too. I'm sure he knows a lot more about them than I do, such as where they fit in the regular arguments among 'clumper' v 'splitter' taxonomists.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
questioner121 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
questioner121 wrote:

What paper?

I'm talking about the link to a list of observed and documented cases of speciation, a.k.a. macroevolution.

Read this to get a better idea about the creationist view of macroevolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/macroevolution.html
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2014 9:12 pm

questioner121 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
questioner121 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

What paper?

Read this to get a better idea about the creationist view of macroevolution.

I don't give a flying fuck about the creationist view of macroevolution.
That's like arguing against astronomy with the view of astrologers on the relation between planets and stars.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#114  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 9:18 pm

bert wrote:
questioner121 wrote:The evidence we have is either fossils or DNA. With with either of these it's not possible to determine if species populations are able to interbreed or not. So the point still stands that it's an assumption that those populations evolved into separate species. They could have been created just as they were as separate species living side by side or maybe they were all able to interbreed meaning that they were still part of one species.

Do you know the vitamin C evidence? You have to eat it because (in contrast to the dogs and cats (and cows and pigs)) your body can't make it.
Why can't it do that? Because your parents couldn't do it either. Why? Because, as it happens, humans do have the gene necessary to synthesize it but a big chunk is missing from it. Why would a creator give us a broken gene?

Oh, and why did he give chimps and gorilla's the same broken gene? That is, with the same chunk missing from the gene? Hm, you're sure your deity didn't use evolution to magic everything the way it is now? No hubris, OK?

There is a rodent that also can't make vitamin C (I keep forgetting which one it is; sorry. Guinea pig or something). Why did it get a *different* broken gene when your deity was doling out broken genes?

Bert

There's no point in asking questions as to why the creator did x,y or z if you don't believe in him. Whatever answer you get is either not going to make sense or you're just not going to care. Even if it did make sense it's still not going to be the evidence you're looking for.

Unless you were able to check the DNA of our ancestors then you have no way of confirming whether they had the genes to make vitamin C or not. If anything you should expect some people to have to and some to not have it so that you could apply your natural selection theory.
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Fenrir » Feb 16, 2014 9:25 pm

questioner121 wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:

Load of shit

Speciation requires reproductive isolation.

Reproductive isolation is not required to be physiological, nor is it required to be absolute.

Geographic or behavioural isolation work just as well to limit gene flow.

Do learn something about that which you bloviate.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#116  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Fenrir wrote:
questioner121 wrote:

Speciation requires reproductive isolation.

Where did you pull that one out from? Your bottom?
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby questioner121 » Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

bert wrote:
There has been research

Just as a matter of interest, would any atheist/evolutionist try it on with a chimp (without the artificial insemination and in the name of science of course)? If no is that because you've evolved to not find chimps attractive? Maybe there's a gene somewhere which scientists can extract to make the chimps attractive again...just thinking.
questioner121

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2014 10:14 pm

questioner121 wrote:

What's this about? Are you dishonestly trying to conflate atheism with an acceptance of the fact of evolution?

:nono:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2014 10:15 pm

questioner121 wrote:
bert wrote:
There has been research

Just as a matter of interest, would any atheist/evolutionist try it on with a chimp (without the artificial insemination and in the name of science of course)? If no is that because you've evolved to not find chimps attractive? Maybe there's a gene somewhere which scientists can extract to make the chimps attractive again...just thinking.

:nono:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#120  Postby susu.exp » Feb 16, 2014 10:16 pm

questioner121 wrote:Read this to get a better idea about the creationist view of macroevolution.

One might get a better idea about the creationist view of macroevolution from - let's say - a creationist? John S. Wilkins isn't one and the article gives a decent rundown on how the term has been used in evolutionary biology. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's pretty good. Creationists don't use the term in this way. You in particular haven't used it in this way in this thread.
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism