The Origin of Life

Five questions worth asking

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Origin of Life

#101  Postby Agrippina » Apr 27, 2011 8:36 am

Calilasseia wrote:Ok, I'll strip out the nested quotes in this post to make life simpler. :)

Agrippina wrote:Am I therefore right in saying that we should leave the white film that forms on aluminium alone? Or should it be cleaned off, people around here are obsessive about shiny window frames?

Indeed. Leave that film alone

Thank you. My husband says he can use that the next time some nosy-parker tells me about cleaning window frames. :thumbup:

Agrippina wrote:Good, that makes it clearer. But then also there weren't any fish in the water before there was oxygen in the atmosphere?:dunno:

Indeed, fishes did not start to appear, in their earliest forms, until around the Cambrian era. Oxygen had been a feature of the Earth's atmosphere for over a billion years before the first fishes arrived on the scene. One of the additional pieces of evidence for this, by the way, apart from the presence of geological formations requiring an Oxygen-free atmosphere in the early history of the Earth, followed by their absence once oxygenic photosynthesis got under way seriously courtesy of the cyanobacteria, is the presence of fossils of various green algae dating back to around 1.2 billion years before present, which added their own contribution to the Oxygen content of the atmosphere. A particularly famous one, for which I have the scientific paper, is Bangiomorpha pubescens - because this was the earliest known sexually reproducing multicellular eukaryote from the fossil record when it was found (it was alive a full 700 million years before the so-called "Cambrian Explosion", incidentally!), the author of the paper labelled it Bangiomorpha partly as a pun on the word "bang", used as a slang term for sex. :mrgreen:

That's funny.

I originally thought that the earliest fishes dated from the Silurian era, because fossils of Agnathans (jawless fishes) have been known from Silurian strata for some time. However, it transpires that a Cambrian era fossil, Haikouichthys, has been found in strata dating back 518 million years, which places them in the late Cambrian. By the time we reach the Silurian, we also see the appearance of fishes known as Acanthodians, or spiny sharks, and complete fossils of Acanthodians are known from these strata, though some scientists are now claiming that incomplete remains (e.g., teeth) from these organisms have been found in earlier, Ordovician strata.

Whilst our picture of the history of fishes is incomplete, it is still extensive, as several million fish fossils have been found, belonging to thousands of Genera, ranging all the way from Haikouichthys in the Cambrian, to more recent Miocene fossils, for example. Once again, those fossils are arranged exquisitely in time and taxonomic order, in a manner that would be impossible to replicate by any fantasy "global flood". :)

And of course messing around with mixing fresh and salt water fish together.
I always enjoy watching documentaries about the pre-history of fishes. Fascinating. Which is why I enjoy going to Cape Town's aquarium.

Agrippina wrote:I understand that. Which is why simply distilling sea water is not quite enough to make it drinkable?

Actually, distillation of sea water is sufficient to produce potable (drinking) water. Basically, distillation in its simplest form involves heating the water until it boils, then condensing the steam elsewhere in the apparatus. The resulting water formed this way is free of dissolved salts.

However, because boiling water involves a LOT of heat energy, traditional distillation is hideously expensive. Which is why desalination plants take advantage of the Gas Laws to reduce the costs. I'll now explain how this works.

And of course why, in a water-hungry country like this one, it is simply too expensive to use the water source on our doorstep.

Every liquid has associated with it, a quantity known as 'vapour pressure', which is the effective pressure at which that liquid becomes gaseous at any given temperature. Vapour pressure increases with temperature, and when the vapour pressure equals the surrounding atmospheric pressure, the liquid boils and becomes a gas. Now, you'll be familiar with the concept of 'boiling point', which is the temperature you have to heat a liquid to in order to boil it, but this temperature changes with the ambient atmospheric pressure. So, for example, at sea level, where the atmospheric pressure is around 14.7 pounds per square inch (101 kilopascals in SI units), water boils at 100°C. However, if you take a container of water 10,000 feet up a mountain, you'll find that it boils at a lower temperature, typically around 85°C, which is why you can't make tea on a mountain top unless you use a pressure cooker - tea only forms if the tea leaves are infused at close to 100°C.

This is interesting. It explains why I always get very weak tea from our hot water dispenser. :lol:

However, this trick can be used to reduce the temperature at which you heat your water in order to convert it into water vapour. Basically, you perform your distillation under low pressure, so that you only have to heat your water to, say, 50°C instead of 100°C. There's a trade-off between the costs of maintaining a vacuum in a large apparatus, and using energy to heat the water, so there's an economic limit extant in desalination plants using vacuum distillation. But, if you take this process to its logical conclusion, it's possible to turn water into a gas at room temperature - you simply lower the atmospheric pressure in the container to that found at, say, 25 kilometres above the Earth's surface, at which point water will become a gas at room temperature.

Something else I didn't know.

Conversely, increasing the pressure allows you to heat water beyond 100°C, whilst still keeping it liquid, and this principle is used in pressure cookers, to cook food without leaching nutrients from the food. You can heat your food to 100°C, cook it thoroughly (and ensure that any bacteria are well and truly killed in the process), whilst still keeping the water liquid, and allowing your food to retain its nutrients. Pressure cookers tend to be more industrial than home devices, though, because they need to be made to proper engineering tolerances in order to maintain their structural integrity under the thermal and pressure stresses they are subject to, and if you find one of the home pressure cooking pans that were popular in the 1950s for a short while, you'll find that it's a heavy piece of kit, and not the sort of thing your average 1950s housewife could reasonably be expected to heft around the kitchen - it's a solid hunk of metal of the sort shot putters might throw around on the athletics field!

Ha! I remember those. I have one from the late 1970s; even that one is a "lump of metal."

Incidentally, whilst dwelling on desalination of sea water, an alternative method involving pressure exists, known as reverse osmosis. This works courtesy of the fact that certain membranes will allow water molecules to pass through them, but will stop molecules of various dissolves substances from doing so. The movement of water that takes place across such a membrane is known as osmosis. Normally, this is demonstrated in a school laboratory, by arranging for a tube constructed from one of these membranes, to be suspended in a container of fresh water, then filling the tube with salt water. What happens is that water molecules migrate from the fresh water in the container, through the membrane, to the salt water in the tube, and the volume of water in the tube increases, so that it rises within the tube. It's quite impressive when you see it for the first time!

Basically, water will always move, where possible, from regions of low concentrations of dissolved salts, to regions of high concentrations, and this is a central governing principle determining the physiology of fishes. Freshwater fishes have dissolved salts in their blood and body tissues that are at a higher concentration than the surrounding water, and so, they are constantly absorbing water from the surroundings. These fishes have therefore evolved osmoregulatory machinery to deal with this, usually by means of producing large quantities of very dilute urine via the kidneys. Saltwater fishes, on the other hand, have concentrations of dissolved salts in their body tissues that are lower than the surrounding sea water, and are consequently losing water through their bodies. To deal with this, they have evolved a different set of biochemical machinery. Saltwater fishes drink the surrounding sea water, and courtesy of special salt-secreting cells in the gills, expel the excess salt back into the sea. They also produce much smaller quantities of urine, and their urine is much more highly concentrated than that of freshwater fishes.

I remember learning about osmosis in my nursing education.
I didn't know about fish urine! :lol:

Having dealt with that little tangential diversion, back to reverse osmosis. Under normal pressure, water will migrate from low concentration regions to high concentration regions, and if there is a semi-permeable membrane permitting water movement, but preventing salt movement, water will move from the freshwater side of the divide to the saltwater side of the divide. There is a pressure associated with this movement, called osmotic pressure, which can be measured by suitable apparatus. But, because a pressure is associated with osmosis, it's possible to throw this into reverse. What you do, is you fill your tube with salt water, bring the ambient pressure of the salt water in the tube significantly above atmospheric pressure, and hey presto, fresh water appears on the other side of the membrane. This is used commercially not only in desalination plants, but in fishkeeping (something I've had my hands in now for 35 years!).

I only succeed in killing them.

Reverse osmosis systems are used in the world of fishkeeping, to produce the purest possible water for an aquarium, when keeping sensitive species in captivity, and are also used in the world of reef aquarium keeping to ensure that various substances found in tap water aren't transferred to the aquarium during a water change. Dissolved nitrate salts, for example, are bad for a reef aquarium, at least when they turn up in quantity, and if your tap water already contains 50 ppm of dissolved Nitrates, it's going to make the task of keeping certain sensitive species, such as large marine Angelfishes and many corals, that much more difficult. So, to remove these unwanted substances, you can now buy a reverse osmosis machine, that will strip these pollutants from your tap water, so that you can produce pure, Nitrate-free water for your reef aquarium, and keep your corals and marine Angelfishes happy. :)

I'll take your word for it. I can't keep fishes, I'm far too heavy-handed for them.

Agrippina wrote: :dance: I love it when I think up something and it turns out that I'm on the right track. :thumbup:

I like it when people alight upon ideas like this, simply by using their brain cells. Go to the top of the class. :)
Woohoo! :dance:

Agrippina wrote:And on the creationists, I think it's more fear of having to learn complex ideas and being afraid of admitting that they don't know something that causes them to not want to believe, rather than not able to believe.

The problem you have with creationists, is that these people have decided that they're going to prefer the unsupported assertions of a doctrine to reality, because those unsupported assertions require less work to understand. Make-believe is always easy for humans to handle, after all, it's an essential aspect of childhood play from about the age of 2½ onwards. And, because we are a storytelling species, we love making things up. If we didn't, there wouldn't exist the vast market for fiction that you see manifest in every bookshop. We as a species love making stories up, and love spreading those stories to other people. Combine this with our innate curiosity about our surroundings, and you have in place all the ingredients required to drive the development of mythology.

Mythology was, in effect, our first, blindly stumbling attempt to provide something resembling an 'explanation' for our surroundings. Our prehistoric ancestors, having worked out how to use fire, how to make tools, etc., were beings of intent, and consequently, regarded actions that took place before their eyes as the product of intent. In a sense, they could claim a very limited empirical basis for this, because they engaged in actions driven by intent, and thus provided evidence for the presence of intent behind action. They also regarded the actions of other organisms in the same light: for example, big predators that turned up were viewed as possessing an intent to feed, which, given the prehistoric humans' own intent in this regard, was a perfectly natural view for them to form. So, when they saw something such as lightning striking a tree, in order to try and place this event in a comprehensible framework, they looked around for something to compare it with by analogy, and lo and behold, they had one, courtesy of their recently acquired mastery of fire. Consequently, they developed the notion that the lightning striking the tree must be similar in some way to their striking sparks from their flints, and as a corollary of this, that there must be something aournd, resembling themselves, striking some very big flints indeed in order to set whole trees on fire. But, because they couldn't actually see whatever was doing this, they came up with the idea of a big, invisible version of themselves, that somehow managed to live in the sky. Once they had that idea in place, it was simply a matter of time before they started to make up stories about whatever this big, invisible version of themselves was, what it was up to, etc., etc. All that happened from then on, was that the stories being told were more and more embellished with the refinements of their developing cultures and civilisations.

Unfortunately, this approach, whilst it was eminently good enough for Palaeolithic man, has ceased to be in any way relevant to the real world for at least 300 years. One of the hilarious ironies of this development, of course, is that having alighted upon a proper version of the scientific method, some humans set out to use this in a charmingly naive attempt to validate their favourite mythology, only to have the real world turn round and say to them "sorry, but that particular collection of assertions is wrong". Those who recognised the utility value of the scientific method, and accepted that it worked, started abandoning the assertions of mythology, albeit in slow stages, when that method and real world observation taught them the lesson that particular mythological assertions were basically make-believe. But that storytelling tendency, our tendency to view everything in terms of intent as a consequence of our evolutionary heritage, remains a powerful influence, and when this is combined with the fact that certain mythologies have inspired ruthless enforcement of conformity to doctrine, some people have trouble letting go.

Nowhere is this more fatuously obvious than in the case of creationists. The universe and its contents have been revealed by science, and the diligent efforts of thousands of honest, hard working scientists, to be far grander, far more exotic and filled with wonder, than the narrow, parochial views expressed in 3,000 year old mythology. Indeed, scientists have alighted upon entities and phenomena that the Bronze Age authors of mythology were incapable of even fantasising about. Neutron stars, black holes, the workings of thermonuclear fusion in stars, the quixotic phenomena of the relativistic and quantum worlds, many of which have been directly observed in the laboratory, or deduced to exist from relevant astronomical observations, are so far beyond the ability of Bronze Age storytellers to contemplate, that the mythology they wrote is now hopelessly irrelevant with respect to the real world and what we know of its behaviour. Indeed, the very fact that scientists have alighted upon a vast array of entities and phenomena that were completely unknown to the authors of mythology, should be instructive and informative to anyone who pays attention.

Unfortunately, because it doesn't take much effort to accept uncritically the assertions of that mythology, whereas learning about the real world now requires considerable dilligence and application, courtesy of the sheer volume of what we have already learned, some people prefer the fantasies and make-believe of the past, and insist that all of the conscientious effort of those hard-working scientists must somehow be "wrong", and that the fairytales of the past must somehow be "right". The only basis for doing so in the modern world is lamentable, pathological indolence. It's the view of the lazy, the wilfully ignorant, the view of people who can't be bothered to get off their backsides and engage in real learning, and instead, prefer to shroud themselves in the comfort blanket of wishful thinking, because learning about how reality actually operates is too much hard work. More insidiously, that approach is manifestly morally corrupting, because, as is the case with all doctrines, the business of regarding the core assertions as constituting purported "axioms" about the world, enjoying a privileged epistemological and ontological status, protected from inquiry and critical examination, inexorably leads to the duplicity that is apologetics, the business of constructing ever more convoluted and fantastical fabrications, for the purpose of trying to force-fit reality to the doctrine, and in order to prosecute this activity, adherents of doctrine inevitably reach the point where they have to disseminate falsehoods in order to push the doctrine onto others. When reality says that your doctrine is wrong, you cannot help but disseminate lies when you try to tell people that your doctrine is right.

This explanation is excellent, it is worth repeating.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Agrippina » Apr 27, 2011 8:50 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
And on the creationists, I think it's more fear of having to learn complex ideas and being afraid of admitting that they don't know something that causes them to not want to believe, rather than not able to believe.

I also think its true of any religious belief, and yes that includes mine, that the notion that we are wrong is a unnerving thought and that we may have actually deluded ourselves with some psychiatric malfunction. So Creationists are not alone for that matter. But the interesting thing and what has been a major eye opener for me is the fact that as I have delved into my studies of history, science, and biblical research, I have realized that notions are not always simple to explain away, and that many of my childhood conceptions are fading away to be replaced by more solid and secure knowledge. Also it's the fact that I know plenty of people, and there are people here as well, who don't like being told they are wrong :P.

I don't suppose many people enjoy being told they are wrong. I am in two minds when I am told I am wrong [which is often!:-)] 1. I don't like it. 2. I DO like it. The "better" part of my nature realizes that I have learned something valuable. Thus I will grumble and rant and swear and a little voice inside me is nevertheless glad that I understand something better. I try to be intellectually honest. For example, I have lost the "cool" things that came with my religious belief. So I mourned the loss of such things. But then one has to move on. At the moment I am mourning the loss of my naive realism, but I accept it intellectually, although I am still wondering why there is not still some vague connection between phenomena and reality. ;)

One of the most difficult things to accept as an older person is that age does not bring wisdom. Age does not guarantee that you are wiser and know more than everyone else. For me the only thing about age is that you have experience. Experience is vastly different from wisdom, and because of this, the majority of older people don't want to be taught anything or admit that their old age doesn't automatically give them huge amounts of knowledge and wisdom.

I also find that the more deeply entrenched the religion, the more inclined the old person is to offer advice and "wisdom" and the young people in their families pay deference to them. I like to have disagreeing, argumentative young people around me, especially if they are able to teach me something I don't know.

Now I need to read that paper, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Question 1 - HOW DID LIFE BEGIN?

#103  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Finally, we get to one of these five questions. Well, almost. They like to set up their straw men first...

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, in THE ORIGIN OF LIFE - FIVE QUESTIONS WORTH ASKING wrote:When you were a child, did you ever startle your parents by asking, "Where do babies come from?" If so, how did they respond? Depending on your age and their personality, your parents might have ignored the question of given you a hurried, embarassed answer. Or perhaps they told you some fanciful tales that you later found to be false. Of course, if a child is to be properly prepared for adulthood and marriage, he or she eventually needs to learn about the wonders of sexual reproduction.

Just as many parents feel awkward about discussing where babies come from, some scientists seem reluctant to discuss an even more fundamental question - Where did life come from? Receiving a credible answer to that question can have a profound effect on a person's outlook on life. So how did life begin?

What do many scientists claim? Many who believe in evolution would tell you that billions of years ago, life began on the edge of an ancient tidal pool or deep in the ocean. They feel that in some such location, chemicals spontaneously assembled into bubblelike structures, formed complex molecules, and began replicating. They believe that all life on earth originated by accident from one or more ot these "simple" original cells.

Well! Project much, Jehovah's Witnesses? Who thinks that ignoring the question about where babies come from is high on the list of options for parents in their sect? And I don't know about anyone else, but knowledge of sexual reproduction didn't do a fucking thing (that adjective was intentional) to prepare me for marriage.

I've known scientists, and I have never met one yet who is reluctant to discuss their field of study. As I said earlier, we need our straw men, don't we?

I suspect we're going to see a lot of this in this pamphlet. "Many scientists say...", or "Some scientists say...". It lets the anonymous authors get away with following those openers with whatever the fuck they want to write.

Finally, I don't think scientists "believe" what their conclusions tell them. By the time they get to that point, have supported their hypotheses experimentally, and survived what it takes to be peer reviewed, they have a little bit more than "belief". But, maybe that's being harshly semantic.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#104  Postby talkietoaster » Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

This is a great thread, I think when the next JW come round I will talk to them.

Off topic: Cali your post has made me feel like a child learning science for the first time. Its a great feeling.
''Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.'' - Smart Person at some time.
talkietoaster

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Agrippina » Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

@Talkietoaster, isn't it just. It's so informative.

I agree Metatron, I imagine that only extremely rigidly religious people still keep that information from their children. And even then, as you say, knowing the mechanics still doesn't prepare you for the reality.

I intended to read that paper today, but got caught up in other things, so now I'm going to take a look at it because I do want to talk about it before I mess up the progress of this thread.

It's interesting to speak to people who haven't been through the process of rigorously having to defend their ideas, they absolutely do not get the idea of objective discussion and testing hypotheses before claiming that they are worthy of even being presented as something believable, as you say, you get the "scientists believe" nonsense just before they present you with something totally incorrect that no scientist has even asserted, let alone believes.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Agrippina » Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Cali, I've had a quick first read through that paper about the "Snowball Earth." It really deserves my concentrated attention which I will do when I'm at my desk again. But interestingly enough, when I learnt about the dinosaur extinction, and the meteor theory which caused an Ice Age, and then a massive evolution when the earth warmed up again, my first thought was that heat from the inside of the earth, i.e. volcanoes and the resultant carbon dioxide emissions as a result of their eruption probably initiated the warming that ended the Ice Age. This was as a result of learning about the present "global warming" problem; I thought that if global warming due to high CO2 emissions is responsible for our present problems, couldn't that be what happened i.e. that volcanoes "bubbling" under the surface erupted, caused high CO2 levels and this then caused the Ice Age to end. Interesting.

As I said, after the wedding I'll be back at my desk again, then I'll give it a proper read. In the meantime, I'm having a party watching the pomp and ceremony on TV.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Question #1, continues...

#107  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

Another installment of HOW DID LIFE BEGIN? (they like their all-capitol letter titles):

The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, in THE ORIGIN OF LIFE - FIVE QUESTIONS WORTH ASKING, wrote:Other equally respected scientists who also support evolution disagree. They speculate that the first cells or at least their major components arrived on earth from outer space. Why? Because, despite their best efforts, scientists have been unable to prove that life can spring from nonliving molecules. In 2008, Professor of Biology Alexandre Meinesz highlighted the dilemma. He stated that over the last 50 years, "no empirical eveidence supports the hypotheses of the spontaneous appearance of life on Earth from nothing but a molecular soup, and no significant advance in scientific knowledge leads in this direction"

Well then, never mind. That one quote crushes it for me. Not. More on that in a moment.

"Other equally respected scientists" thay say. As if the level of respect a scientist garners somehow effects the veracity of their work? Isaac Newton dabbled with alchemy. He was wrong on a lot of stuff. And, he is rather highly respected. He also invented the calculus, and poofed his laws of motion into existence. Before him, inertia didn't exist. All right, that got away from me a little there. But the point is, it is the conclusions scientists reach that are either true, or they are not. How well respected a scientist is, is of no account.

But, what the authors of this torrid little pamphlet (you remember all that sex talk a couple paragraphs ago, don't you?), are alluding to in this paragraph is the idea of panspermia. An idea not entirely without merit. Organic compounds are to be found in meteoroids. [reference will follow]

As for the quote from Professeur Alexandre Meinesz,
...it is covered well by the article that Stijndeloose already gave us a link to, but I'll repeat that link here. Blatant misquotes in the Origin of Life booklet. Please go have a look.

It really grinds me when a work that suggests people "really need to make up their own minds on the matter" quote mines and misrepresents the work of others to push their own pet agenda. It's fucking intellectually dishonest. It also demonstrates that their position is based on a house of cards.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#108  Postby rainbow » Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Darwinsbulldog wrote:Cali, I was surprised that you did not include this one:-

Koonin, E. V. (2007). "[b]An RNA-making reactor for the origin of life." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104(22): 9105-9106.[/b]
Given the overwhelming complexity and difficulty of the origin of life problem, the most astonishing thing about it is that life actually has evolved on at least one planet in our universe ( 1). Indeed, it is entirely conceivable that the origin of life involved a series of highly unlikely events, and a substantial part of the explanation for why there is life on earth comes from the anthropic principle ( 2), i.e., our planet just happens to be one of the extremely rare parts of the universe where such a series of events was realized ( 3). The anthropic world view, however, by no means frees the students of early evolution from the obligation to explore all possible ways to decrease the improbability of life by demonstrating plausible paths to one or another of the milestones that need to be reached before life actually takes off. The paper by Baaske et al. ( 4) in this issue of PNAS seems to do just that by describing a simple abiotic system ensuring striking concentration of mono- and polynucleotides in inorganic compartments that might be suitable hatcheries for life.

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/22/9105.full

The Koonin proposal seems to address several problems at once.

I agree that it is most astonishing that life exists anywhere in the universe.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Fenrir » Apr 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Whether abiogenesis occurred here or elsewhere has no bearing on whether abiogenesis occurred or whether it is or is not a credible hypothesis or indeed the only credible hypothesis. The question of whether it occurred here or elsewhere does not create the gap the JW's are obviously wishing for here.

The quote above is merely an attempt to create controversy about abiogenesis where there is none (like much of the rest of the pamphlet).
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#110  Postby rainbow » Apr 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Fenrir wrote:Whether abiogenesis occurred here or elsewhere has no bearing on whether abiogenesis occurred or whether it is or is not a credible hypothesis or indeed the only credible hypothesis. The question of whether it occurred here or elsewhere does not create the gap the JW's are obviously wishing for here.

The quote above is merely an attempt to create controversy about abiogenesis where there is none (like much of the rest of the pamphlet).

Indeed there are a number of hypotheses relating to Abiogenesis.
Which one do you find most convincing?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Try all the ones that have evidential support, in the form of direct laboratory demonstrations that the relevant chemical reactions work. Next?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby rainbow » Apr 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Try all the ones that have evidential support, in the form of direct laboratory demonstrations that the relevant chemical reactions work. Next?

Would you be saying that there is a Hypothesis of Abiogenesis that has been demonstrated in the lab?
:plot:
If so, which one?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Oh here we go again, it's that duplicitous piece of apologetics known as "I won't accept the evidence until you show me a fish brewed from chemicals in the lab". You keep peddling this tiresome horseshit, and it is horseshit.

What part of "establishing each individual step, then joining the dots" don't you understand again?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#114  Postby rainbow » Apr 28, 2011 2:01 pm

I simply asked a question.

If you can't answer my question, then just say so.

For now we'll accept that you don't have any hypothesis that can be backed up by laboratory evidence.
OK?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#115  Postby sweitzen » Apr 28, 2011 2:18 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
I already have to note a conflation of the theory of evolution and what it tells us, and abiogenesis. Two separate things.

Creationists tend to do that a lot -- usually conflating everything from the Big Bang forward -- they seem to believe it's a chain of dominoes and if they can topple one, the whole thing will fall. I'm not sure how often it's a matter of truly not understanding how science works, and how often it's a simple grasping at straws because they have NOTHING else.
sweitzen

Name: Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 28, 2011 2:19 pm

rainbow wrote:I simply asked a question.

For now we'll accept that you don't have any hypothesis that can be backed up by laboratory evidence.
OK?

So you're going to pretend that those papers I cited don't exist?
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby rainbow » Apr 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Calilasseia wrote:

OK?

No. Why would I?

Are you going to pretend that any one of those papers actually contains compelling evidence to support at least one Hypothesis of Abiogenesis?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#118  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 28, 2011 2:38 pm

:popcorn:

[Original flavour.]
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Shrunk » Apr 28, 2011 2:49 pm

rainbow wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

OK?

No. Why would I?

Are you going to pretend that any one of those papers actually contains compelling evidence to support at least one Hypothesis of Abiogenesis?

We've been on this merry-go-round a few times already. I suggest this topic be split off from the discussion of the JW pamphlet if it's going to continue.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Question #1, continues...

#120  Postby sweitzen » Apr 28, 2011 7:06 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
"Other equally respected scientists" thay say. As if the level of respect a scientist garners somehow effects the veracity of their work? Isaac Newton dabbled with alchemy. He was wrong on a lot of stuff. And, he is rather highly respected. He also invented the calculus, and poofed his laws of motion into existence. Before him, inertia didn't exist. All right, that got away from me a little there. But the point is, it is the conclusions scientists reach that are either true, or they are not. How well respected a scientist is, is of no account.

Supernaturalists tend to argue from authority, because authority is the basis for their beliefs. They either don't understand how a respected scientist in one field can be no more an authority in any area outside of their expertise than you or I, or they are being deliberately misleading, knowing they will catch no scientists in their net, but that the vast undecided majority isn't so picky.
sweitzen

Name: Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism