The Origin of Life

Five questions worth asking

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Origin of Life

#121  Postby willhud9 » Apr 28, 2011 7:09 pm

rainbow wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
rainbow wrote:I simply asked a question.

If you can't answer my question, then just say so.

For now we'll accept that you don't have any hypothesis that can be backed up by laboratory evidence.
OK?

So you're going to pretend that those papers I cited don't exist?

No. Why would I?

Are you going to pretend that any one of those papers actually contains compelling evidence to support at least one Hypothesis of Abiogenesis?

How about the Miller-Urey experiment? Which has shown that proteins can arise from inorganic material? Or is that too controlled for you? Perhaps we should all take a field trip to the beginning of life on earth, but I doubt even that would satisfy you. :nono:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#122  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Errr, no, Will, the Urey-Miller experiment showed that amino acids can emerge in prebiotic conditions. I don't know how you are defining "organic" but precursors like methane are considered organic molecules. A protein is a polypeptide of more than 10,000 daltons in molecular weight, and as far as I am aware they were not produced in the Urey-Miller experiment.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby willhud9 » Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

GenesForLife wrote:Errr, no, Will, the Urey-Miller experiment showed that amino acids can emerge in prebiotic conditions. I don't know how you are defining "organic" but precursors like methane are considered organic molecules. A protein is a polypeptide of more than 10,000 daltons in molecular weight, and as far as I am aware they were not produced in the Urey-Miller experiment.

Oh, well then, my mistake. Thanks for the update GenesforLife! :cheers:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby tnjrp » Apr 29, 2011 8:15 am

It's a bit old, but I only found out about this rather comprehensive article dealing with a number of issues raised in this thread today:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/03 ... ris-mooney
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 29, 2011 8:17 am

GenesForLife wrote:Errr, no, Will, the Urey-Miller experiment showed that amino acids can emerge in prebiotic conditions. I don't know how you are defining "organic" but precursors like methane are considered organic molecules. A protein is a polypeptide of more than 10,000 daltons in molecular weight, and as far as I am aware they were not produced in the Urey-Miller experiment.

However, even oligopeptides can be biologically important. See, for example, oxytocin and vasopressin, both of which contain just nine amino acids. Amanitin is a cyclic oligopeptide comprising just eight amino acids, which is most definitely biologically active, as anyone who makes the mistake of eating Death Cap mushrooms will quickly find out. There are numerous other mycotoxins, namely the Phallotoxins, that comprise just seven amino acids, and which are extremely hepatotoxic. Glutathione is a tripeptide (just three amino acids) whose function as an antioxidant is important to aerobic life forms, and is critical in regulating the nitric acid cycle in more derived metazoans.

The point of this being, of course, that one of the papers in my collection deals with the formation of oligopeptides under carbonyl sulphide catalysis. Which provides a starting point for more complex peptide chemistry. All that is needed once an oligopeptide synthesis route exists, is some means of coupling that to RNA, and any minimal protocells have from that point on a means of acquiring ever greater emergent complexity.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 29, 2011 8:24 am

Calilasseia wrote:

However, even oligopeptides can be biologically important. See, for example, oxytocin and vasopressin, both of which contain just nine amino acids. Amanitin is a cyclic oligopeptide comprising just eight amino acids, which is most definitely biologically active, as anyone who makes the mistake of eating Death Cap mushrooms will quickly find out. There are numerous other mycotoxins, namely the Phallotoxins, that comprise just seven amino acids, and which are extremely hepatotoxic. Glutathione is a tripeptide (just three amino acids) whose function as an antioxidant is important to aerobic life forms, and is critical in regulating the nitric acid cycle in more derived metazoans.

The point of this being, of course, that one of the papers in my collection deals with the formation of oligopeptides under carbonyl sulphide catalysis. Which provides a starting point for more complex peptide chemistry. All that is needed once an oligopeptide synthesis route exists, is some means of coupling that to RNA, and any minimal protocells have from that point on a means of acquiring ever greater emergent complexity.

Sure, no qualms with oligopeptides being functionally useful and vital, you just cannot call them proteins, however. :mrgreen:
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 29, 2011 8:48 am

GFL wrote:-

Sure, no qualms with oligopeptides being functionally useful and vital, you just cannot call them proteins, however.

Only Hummin Beans are concerned about this. ;) I am quite sure the transcription/translation machinery and whatnot does not give a toss. ;) ;) I would presume most of the early life stuff would have relied on metalo-polypeptides, and what HB's would call "proper proteins" a little later.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#128  Postby Fenrir » Apr 29, 2011 9:01 am

All rather immaterial really, the choices come down to chemistry (here or elsewhere) or majic. Chemistry has elucidated a number of possible mechanisms and work continues. The precise mechanism which occurred may never be known but majic still hasn't got off the starting blocks.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#129  Postby rainbow » Apr 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Calilasseia wrote:

However, even oligopeptides can be biologically important.

There is no evidence that oligopeptites were produced in the Miller-Urey experiments.
Not a one.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#130  Postby byofrcs » Apr 29, 2011 1:26 pm

rainbow wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

There is no evidence that oligopeptites were produced in the Miller-Urey experiments.
Not a one.

I don't think that was ever the intent of Miller-Urey. On the other hand, this here, Carbonyl Sulfide-Mediated Prebiotic Formation of Peptides..., has that intent.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#131  Postby hackenslash » Apr 29, 2011 1:27 pm

rainbow wrote:There is no evidence that oligopeptites were produced in the Miller-Urey experiments.
Not a one.

There is also no evidence that Cali said they were.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 29, 2011 1:35 pm

rainbow wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Not a one.

Cali has already pointed you to Carbonyl Sulphide Synthesis of oligopeptides from amino acids.

This is an excerpt from an apposite paper

Geoscientists today doubt that the primitive atmosphere had the highly reducing composition Miller used. However, the volcanic apparatus experiment suggests that, even if the overall atmosphere was not reducing, localized prebiotic synthesis could have been effective. Reduced gases and lightning associated with volcanic eruptions in hot spots or island arc–type systems could have been prevalent on the early Earth before extensive continents formed (8). In these volcanic plumes, HCN, aldehydes, and ketones may have been produced, which, after washing out of the atmosphere, could have become involved in the synthesis of organic molecules (3, 4, 8). Amino acids formed in volcanic island systems could have accumulated in tidal areas, where they could be polymerized by carbonyl sulfide, a simple volcanic gas that has been shown to form peptides under mild conditions (9).

That paper is "The Miller Volcanic Spark Discharge Experiment, Johnson et al, DOI: 10.1126/science.1161527"

The reference they quote, namely Carbonyl Sulfide-Mediated Prebiotic Formation of Peptides, Leman et al, DOI: 10.1126/science.1102722 can be accessed here http://www.sciencemag.org/content/306/5 ... 10/31/2004

Since I am logged in with my free account I cannot say if you may access it without registration or not, at most you may have to sign up for a free account to get access.

In this experiment they did detect oligopeptides being formed and they also have put forth Ferrocyanide as a potential oxidizing agent that could catalyse extremely efficient polymerization.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#133  Postby rainbow » Apr 29, 2011 1:41 pm

byofrcs wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Not a one.

I don't think that was ever the intent of Miller-Urey. On the other hand, this here, Carbonyl Sulfide-Mediated Prebiotic Formation of Peptides..., has that intent.

So what it being proposed is that the amino-acids were produced under Miller-Urey conditions, and peptides were produced somewhere else under carbonyl sulphide condensation?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#134  Postby GenesForLife » Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

They report that that the Urey-Miller process using simulated volcanic atmospheres can produce amino acids which can form oligopeptides in the presence of carbonyl sulphide which can also be found in volcanic conditions.
GenesForLife

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#135  Postby rainbow » Apr 29, 2011 2:11 pm

GenesForLife wrote:They report that that the Urey-Miller process using simulated volcanic atmospheres can produce amino acids which can form oligopeptides in the presence of carbonyl sulphide which can also be found in volcanic conditions.

Fair enough. However we'd expect volcanic conditions to disperse the amino acids rather than concentrate them. I can't get the paper, so I don't understand how the amino acids get to a concentration that would allow them to polymerise.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Rumraket » Apr 29, 2011 2:31 pm

rainbow wrote:
GenesForLife wrote:They report that that the Urey-Miller process using simulated volcanic atmospheres can produce amino acids which can form oligopeptides in the presence of carbonyl sulphide which can also be found in volcanic conditions.

Fair enough. However we'd expect volcanic conditions to disperse the amino acids rather than concentrate them. I can't get the paper, so I don't understand how the amino acids get to a concentration that would allow them to polymerise.

From the Science paper:

Present-day levels of COS in volcanic gases have been reported up to 0.09 mol % (14). Because the gas hydrolyzes rapidly on a geological time scale, it is unlikely to have accumulated to a high concentration in the atmosphere. Thus, if COS was important in prebiotic chemistry, it is likely to have functioned in localized regions close to its volcanic sources. Although it may be unlikely that a substantial proportion of any amino acids present would have been converted to thiocarbamates, this would have been no obstacle to a “polymerization on the rocks” scenario (15, 16) in which peptides long enough to be irreversibly adsorbed near the source of the COS were subject to slow chain elongation.

In other words, initial yields of amino-acids are expected to be low, but will accumulate over longer time-scales.
Notice the references, 15 and 16, which state in their abstracts :
15 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9611763
Polymerization on the rocks: theoretical introduction.
Abstract
It is difficult if not impossible to synthesize long polymers of amino acids, nucleotides, etc., in homogeneous aqueous solution. We suggest that long polymers were synthesized on the surface of minerals in a prebiotic process analogous to solid-phase synthesis. Provided that the affinity of a mineral for an oligomer increases with the length of the oligomer, adsorption must become essentially irreversible for sufficiently long oligomers. Irreversibly adsorbed oligomers may be elongated indefinitely by repeated cycles in which the mineral with its adsorbed oligomers is first incubated with activated monomers and then washed free of deactivated monomer and side-products. We discuss in some detail the formation of oligomers of negatively-charged amino acids such as glutamic acid on anion-exchange minerals such as hydroxylapatite or illite. We show that the average length of adsorbed oligomers at steady state, n, depends on the balance between the rate of chain elongation and the rate of hydrolysis, and we derive a very approximate formula for n.

16 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9611764
Polymerization on the rocks: negatively-charged alpha-amino acids.
Abstract
Oligomers of the negatively-charged amino acids, glutamic acid, aspartic acid, and O-phospho-L-serine are adsorbed by hydroxylapatite and illite with affinities that increase with oligomer length. In the case of oligo-glutamic acids adsorbed on hydroxylapatite, addition of an extra residue results in an approximately four-fold increase in the strength of adsorption. Oligomers much longer than the 7-mer are retained tenaciously by the mineral. Repeated incubation of short oligo-glutamic acids adsorbed on hydroxylapatite or illite with activated monomer leads to the accumulation of oligomers at least 45 units long. The corresponding reactions of aspartic acid and O-phospho-L-serine on hydroxylapatite are less effective in generating long oligomers, while illite fails to accumulate substantial amounts of long oligomers of aspartic acid or of O-phospho-L-serine.

The concentration and oligomerization of amino-acids on rock surfaces simply isn't imagined to be the biggest problem.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#137  Postby rainbow » Apr 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Rumraket wrote:The concentration and oligomerization of amino-acids on rock surfaces simply isn't imagined to be the biggest problem.

Absolutely. I can imagine far bigger problems, but lets deal with this one first.
Besides amino-acids, the Miller-Urey reactions will also form simple carboxylic acids and amines. These will terminate any peptide and stop it growing. How is this overcome?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#138  Postby byofrcs » Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Heck we're only just two emergent layers up from elements and now we hit fatty acids.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Rumraket » Apr 29, 2011 7:51 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:The concentration and oligomerization of amino-acids on rock surfaces simply isn't imagined to be the biggest problem.

Absolutely. I can imagine far bigger problems, but lets deal with this one first.
Besides amino-acids, the Miller-Urey reactions will also form simple carboxylic acids and amines. These will terminate any peptide and stop it growing. How is this overcome?

I could ask for a citation here, but you may even turn out to be right. In any case, I think this discussion is a sidestep to the important question, which seems to be the origin of the evolving genetic system. The polymerization of protein-chains has been suggested as an evolutionary problem, overcome at the time the RNA-replicator(or an analogous system) developed a genetic code by the evolution of proto-ribosomes.
In other words, the problem of peptide bond formation and protein production has been relegated to early ribozymes or analogous systems.

See : THE EARLY PHASES OF GENETIC CODE ORIGIN: CONJECTURES ON THE EVOLUTION OF CODED CATALYSIS
MASSIMO DI GIULIO
Institute of Genetics and Biophysics Adriano Buzzati Traverso, CNR, Naples, Napoli, Italy
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14604187
Abstract
A review of the most significant contributions on the early phases of genetic code origin is presented. After stressing the importance of the key intermediary role played in protein synthesis, by peptidyl-tRNA, which is attributed with a primary function in ancestral catalysis, the general lines leading to the codification of the first amino acids in the genetic code are discussed. This is achieved by means of a model of protoribosome evolution which sees protoribosome as the central organiser of ancestral biosynthesis and the mediator of the encounter between compounds (metabolite-pre-tRNAs) and catalysts (peptidyl-pre-tRNAs). The encounter between peptidyl-pre-tRNA catalysts in protoribosome is favoured by metabolic pre-mRNAs and later resulted (given the high temperature at which this evolution is supposed to have taken place) in the evolution of mRNAs with codons of the type GNS. These mRNAs codified only for those amino acids that the coevolution theory of genetic code origin sees as the precursors of all other amino acids. Some aspects of the model here discussed might be rendered real by the transfer-messenger RNA molecule (tmRNA) which is here considered a molecular fossil of ancestral protein synthesis.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#140  Postby Rumraket » Apr 29, 2011 8:04 pm

byofrcs wrote:Heck we're only just two emergent layers up from elements and now we hit fatty acids.

Fatty acids are the easiest of them all. Naturally ocurring fischer-tropsch syntheses in deep-sea hydrothermal vents produce them routinely, and they are found in abundance in carbonaceous chondrites.

Some papers:
Serpentine and serpentinization: A link between planet formation and life

Abiogenic Hydrocarbon Production at Lost City Hydrothermal Field

Initial indications of abiotic formation of hydrocarbons in the Rainbow ultramafic hydrothermal system, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
Last edited by Rumraket on Apr 30, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism