Enrichment ideas for kids

share things you do with your kids

Discussions for education, teaching & parenting.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Enrichment ideas for kids

#21  Postby ChasM » Dec 17, 2010 2:04 pm

:this: Teaching kids money sense - and that $$$ doesn't grow on trees, as they say - is a good idea. (Wish my folks had educated me properly on the subject.) Setting up a basic home economy would be a nice way to demonstrate key concepts such as earnings, savings, borrowing, over-extension, etc. The problem is that a family normally operates on social rules (where helping each other for free), as opposed to market rules (actions have monetary value). When we mix the two, all sorts of problems can spring up.

When kids get older, they should be taught some of the major biases that affect one's appraisal of value as well as buying/selling decisions.
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Name: "Bob"
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Tbickle » Dec 17, 2010 2:32 pm

A very interesting thread and some good ideas. My son just turned four and is beginning to really show more of an interest in games and learning new things. We often have him help us cook and count out measurements when we can. In a couple of weeks, we'll be taking him to either his first science or natural history museum and I think he'll love them. We also have a couple of children's museums that are great for them and they can spend hours in there.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#23  Postby ChasM » Dec 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Tbickle wrote:We often have him help us cook and count out measurements when we can.

Yes, I think cooking by recipe could be something C & I should do more of - certainly a great way of internalizing those fraction concepts (I do wish that we had gone metric in this country, btw. I can never remember my pints from my cups from my ounces from my tablespoons from my teaspoons.) I'm not much of an inspired cook, so I stick to the basics, making Jello, pancakes and waffles with her.

But if folks shared their favorite kid-friendly recipes here, that might provide the proper inspiration... :)
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby ChasM » Dec 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Last year, I got C a "dinosaur plant" which she really likes. Apparently this type of plant dates back almost 300 million years, though its ancestors were much taller than the stubby tumbleweed plant we have today. It can be dried out, then put back in water, where it opens up after a few hours. Recently we did a time-lapse photo session to make an animation of it opening.
This gif is from WikiP, but I hope that someday I'll figure out how to make gifs from my pictures.

While we're on the subject of time-lapse photography, we've made delightful mini-movies with a still camera on a tripod. Using her plastic dinosaurs and horses, we move them slowly and take a shot. Some of our titles so far: "Big Gigantic Horse Marriage Dance," "Dinosaur Shuffle," "Pegasus & Baby," and "Silly Shoes" (where we take shoes and make them appear to walk around by themselves). Labor intensive for such a short product, but she gets to see how "claymation" films are shot.
Last edited by ChasM on Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

My son recently turned nine, and I had given him advance notice that once he turned nine one of his chores would be to plan, purchase and cook the main meal of the day once a week. He gets lots of help with all three parts, but it is up to him to organise and be responsible for it. To facilitate this I have got a childs level cookbook for him for christmas.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Jakov » Dec 18, 2010 2:50 pm

An essential prerequisite to learning about money properly is knowing maths. Presumably school will do that but some books of her own wont hurt when the time comes.
Nice books I remember are "Why Do Buses Come In Threes?" and the Murderous Maths series which is written by the same people who do Horrible Science and Horrible History.
Jakov

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby borealis » Dec 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Thank you for this thread and tips :cheers:
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible."
Oscar Wilde
borealis

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby ChasM » Dec 21, 2010 8:52 pm

More on Microscopes

We followed Cali's instructions above, and our the infurosian culture is a great success! Lots of different wildlife for us to observe and identify. (The only problem is that C now sees these infusoria as pets, and gets rather angry when I suggest we could just wash them off the slide. She saves them by using the dropper to put them back in the bottle. From this we've had our first discussions on bio-ethics...)

400x magnification:

100x magnification:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LMd-bpjvog[/youtube]
400x magnification:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1N0zJmjkLA[/youtube]

This has been a very easy project to set up and execute: we got some pond water, put it in a large, clear Gatorade bottle, mashed a few peas, and now have a container teeming with bio-activity. (Eventually, once I get some petri dishes and agar, we'll breed some bacterial colonies, taking swabs from door handles, sinks, under those dirty fingernails, etc.)
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Rohm » Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Read:

1. How to Raise a Brighter Child by Joan Beck (with a chapter on Montessori strategies)

a. contends that IQ can be enhanced/elevated until age 6; then, IQ plateaus
b. maximize crawling stage before walking; part of the child's brain processing crawling related to reading skills
c. maximize all the senses all the time (toy: colorful-visual stimulation; makes sound-auditory; soft-kinesthetic; has good odor-smell)
d. play classical music in he background 24/7 (Mozart effect)
e. there is an optimum age where a second language should be taught

2. read/google: Montessori principles

3. books/google: emotional intelligence for kids
Rohm

Print view this post

#31  Postby OlivierK » Dec 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Some great stuff here: will have to make a bacteria colony for our kids :)

We also have no TV (DVDs/downloads yes, broadcast TV no), lots of toys that require creative input (like Lego or plain wooden blocks that end up differently assembled every time they're played with), lots of kid-friendly musical instruments.

Some other stuff we do:

Attend as many live musical and theatrical performances as possible. Amateur productions are fine, in fact possibly even better for kids as they can see that it's just people like them and their parents creating the performance. Near my wife's parents place there's a theatre where every school holidays the theatre is turned over to a youth company whose actors/musicians/set builders are all 12-18-year-olds. Our kids (from 4 to 8) love it. But it's still good to occasionally splash out on a truly superb professional performance to point out what people can achieve. Even YouTube is great for clips of truly great performances, but live is better.

Same with Art Galleries. We also have some art books, but they used to always sit around on the shelves and only rarely get looked at, so my wife bought some book stands, and now we have the catalogue of the Louvre and a book of wonderful old botanical watercolours open to a different page each week in our kitchen.

Something I do (which is a quite shameless attempt to add something I felt, in hindsight, was missing from my own childhood) is also to try to build up a sense of modern history. Not by sitting down and learning it text-book style, but my pointing it out here and there if it comes up: looking at old buildings when we travel; talking about the history of our local area, and how that fits into our national history; etc.

We also make a point of discussing the design and history of everyday objects:
  • When do you think DVDs were invented? Do you want to see what we used before that? Did you know talking movies (which you had to go to a cinema to see) were only invented when your Nanna was three years old? Do you think that your kids, if you have them, will know what a DVD is?
  • Why is a hammer the shape it is?
  • Has that toy broken already? How could it have been designed to be stronger? How might we fix it? Now that you've seen how it broke what would you do differently to not break one? ;)
And something we didn't do specifically for the kids, but which is wonderful for them, is that we did a big lifestyle shift before they were born to a more self-sufficient lifestyle. We grow our own food, and build our own buildings - which gives them the idea that stuff doesn't just get done by paying someone to do it - that all sorts of things are possible to do yourself if you just have a go. More broadly, like all parents, we aim to be good examples for our kids to follow in the way we deal with the world around us, whether that's in the way we question and learn, resolve differences, try new things, react to failures, relate to authority...
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby ChasM » Dec 21, 2010 10:58 pm

:this: Great post! I especially like the idea of "everyday history." We live outside of Philadelphia, which (by American standards) is fairly ancient, so we have lots of history to explore here. And the history of everyday things is a great way to give them a sense of contemporary history. (Last night we were listening to some Chimpmunks' Xmas carols, and I explained to C how they make those squeeky voices by speeding up the recording. Found myself explaining what a record player was, and how you could switch the speeds to hear the Chimpunks' regular voices. She was surprised to hear that we didn't have CDs as kids!)

Your "more self-sufficient lifestyle" sounds very interesting - I'm sure this provides all sorts of fascinating perspectives for the kids. :thumbup: Perhaps you have some stories to share?

re: theater performances
Kids generally love seeing performances and performing themselves. C signed up for a kid's acting class last spring with a local theater company, and she liked it so much she signed up for one of their children's theater performances. Seeing a production from the inside was great for her: when she saw Lion King on Broadway last summer, she had a bit of an insider's perspective on the production, which added to her overall enjoyment.
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby OlivierK » Dec 22, 2010 2:15 am

We started building the house we live in around the time our eldest was under a year old, and moved in when our second kid was just a baby, about two years later. So with their natural kids' ability to extrapolate from their own experience to the whole world, they're sure that when they turn eighteen they'll have to build a house themselves before they can move out! :)

But basically in practical terms they get to experience the process of building. And I'm not a professional builder, so a lot of that is just involving them as I work stuff out for myself. That goes from helping measure stuff out, to hanging around a building site and learning simple physics (I really am building it alone, so stuff like lifting beams into place with only one person means there are lots of lessons to be learned about leverage and the like :)), to learning how to use hand tools, or non-dangerous power tools. There are also a lot of lessons about planning ahead - so that when you come to do claddings and interior linings, there's a bit of frame everywhere you need to nail them on, and there are no floor joists directly under where the bathroom drains go - that sort of thing. It's often difficult or near-impossible to fix these things when you work out you need them, they have to be got right back at the previous step. The kids got a chance get involved in this sort of stuff when we built their treehouse together.

The kids have their own gardens, and meals get planned around any vegetables they've managed to grow, and while we have no livestock of our own, our neighbours do so they're familiar with how their food gets on their table. Our own conversations about bio-ethics started when it came time to eat animals they had met. It's an interesting area to discuss with children, and I feel the discussion process is far more important than the outcome (so far, they're good with it, with some reservations, quite thoughtfully based.)

But the main impact of our lifestyle is that we're home most of the time (me 100%, my wife all but 14 hours a week) and we get a reasonable proportion of the things we need by making them ourselves (furniture, buildings, landscaping, gardens, toys, food, music), while we happily buy other stuff (food, books, toys, technology, transport). It's the balance that I think is good to get away from the cargo cult mentality that kids can experience in our overly consumerist world where it seems almost everything one owns is bought, not made, and that you can only get things by earning money and then buying something as a finished product, rather than by sourcing materials and skills and managing things yourself. I think that's why cooking is so important - working from ingredients is something we all could stand to do more of in other areas of life.

If we are buying things, we also prefer to deal directly with the makers if that's possible - so we've got many things in our house that we had people we know make for us, from furniture to clothes, to art, and I like the idea that our kids will know that if you need something made, a shop with mass-produced stuff isn't their only option, even if it is often a good option.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby ChasM » Dec 22, 2010 2:35 am

^ :thumbup:
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby ChasM » Dec 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Rohm wrote:Read:
1. How to Raise a Brighter Child by Joan Beck (with a chapter on Montessori strategies)
a. contends that IQ can be enhanced/elevated until age 6; then, IQ plateaus
b. maximize crawling stage before walking; part of the child's brain processing crawling related to reading skills
c. maximize all the senses all the time (toy: colorful-visual stimulation; makes sound-auditory; soft-kinesthetic; has good odor-smell)
d. play classical music in he background 24/7 (Mozart effect)
e. there is an optimum age where a second language should be taught

One should careful about books such as these: they are successfully marketed to the growing population of obsessive parents with large wallets, but the research on which their claims are based is sometimes quite specious. For example, the claim about IQ I believe is fairly speculative, and the "Mozart effect" has been debunked. "Maximizing all the senses all the time" is a bit absurd when taken to the extreme: while some multi-sensory stimulation most likely has significant benefits for brain development and neural connections (as opposed to the dulling effect of a low-stimulation environment), parents can go overboard by constantly overstimulating their newborns and toddlers. The trick is to make it as natural as possible (that's what I like about Montessori education). To my mind, this goes for teaching a second language and teaching emotional intelligence as well.

Personally, I am somewhat disturbed with the rise of "obsessive parenting"* in the last twenty years. Credulous folks with lots of disposable income snatch up all sorts of questionable stuff that promises to make their children smarter - witness the fatuous yet highly successful "Baby Einstein" books, videos, etc. - but what kids need most is our time, a commodity which is in short supply in this work-more-to-consume-more-products-and-services modern culture.

[* for an interesting take on obsessive parenting, read "What Makes a Perfect Parent?" in Levitt & Dubner's Freakonomics]
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Areopagitican » Dec 30, 2010 6:26 pm

I don't think this has been brought up before but it seems sort of obvious... But, well, here we go: people skills.

I get that your kid does the numbers, the critters, the camping and all that stuff. Yet I haven't really seen anyone talk about her relating to her peers? I guess she gets that from school, but there seems to be so much emphasis on doing extra-curricular activities... What about just letting her play with her friends? :thumbup:
Last edited by Areopagitican on Dec 30, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Areopagitican

Name: Max
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby ChasM » Dec 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Areopagitican [are you a Milton fan?] -

re: "people skills"
Rohm mentioned "emotional intelligence for kids" above, and her school does indeed do a lot of that stuff (feelings, conflict resolution, etc.). I try to get her to empathize, trying to get her to think about other kids' feelings when an issue comes up (though I, myself, am hardly the posterboy for empathetic thinking). Overall, it's an important part of any kid's education, something I wish my folks had done.

there seems to be so much emphasis on doing extra-curricular activities... What about just letting her play with her friends? :thumbup:

True. I think her mom obsesses a bit more about the extra curriculars than I do; having kids run from one enrichment activity after another seems a bit insane to me. Balance and perspective are important here - tough to do in this 350 channel, hyperactive, one-upsman culture.

I'm happy just to have her play with her friends, and we do some of the stuff I've listed above when she wants to. I might suggest a thing now and then, but I try not to push. Last night we spent some time looking through the microscope at her protozoa we've cultured, but we spent most of our time playing with her toy horses and dinosaurs (an interesting mix of animals for her game/story she made up - the T Rex and the Raptor we're invited to the party :( ).
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby ChasM » Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am

More protozoa micrographs - our infusoria zoo is expanding.

Posted in the Wildlife Pix thread:
ChasM wrote:Okay, got a few more pix and some tentative identifications. Again - Cali & GfL - thanks for the help.

A) appears to be Stylonychia (or possibly Euplotes) - it has a flat dorsal side and scurries around the food using its ventral cilia (cirri?) like a ladybug on a leaf. The specimen on the lower right is a side view.

B) I'm still not sure about, and I can't find a comparable picture online.

The best match I could find for C) was Vorticella [a Peritrich ciliate].

D) is that organism which I said looked like a shrimp or trilobite - more at a horseshoe crab on closer inspection, with a curved back and a sharp tail. They do a nice spin move as they glide through the water. From the side it does indeed look like some of the Daphnids I've seen online.
Side view:
Top view of D), with E) a worm-like organism that would attach itself to a strand using two "graspers" at the tip of its tail (see last pic), and extend/compress itself while moving around.

Calilasseia wrote:Taking a peek at your shots, here's my suggestions:

Specimen A : Looks a fair amount like Euplotes or another Hypotrich. Identifying it to species level is going to take an expert though. :)

Specimen B : My first thought was that it might be an Ostracod, but if it is, it's an extremely small one. Many Ostracods are naked eye visible - I once had these turn up in my aquarium, where they provided my Lemon Tetras with many hours of amusement as they tried to eat them, only to discover that the animals could withdraw completely into the hard shells, which were impossible for the fishes to crack open, leading to the fishes eventually spitting the Ostracods out after a minute or so trying to chew them. Ostracods like to have surfaces to cling to, and I first discovered them moving about on a piece of bogwood I had in the aquarium. Many have a characteristic bean-shaped shell, and your specimen does remind me of these, though usually, Ostracods are a LOT bigger than this - the ones that turned up in my aquarium were 2mm across.

Specimen C : I agree, looks like Vorticella.

Specimen D : Looks like another Cladoceran (water flea) to me ... though you have a LOT of species to choose from even in freshwater!

Specimen E : I'd say, at first glance, that what you're dealing with there is something called a Gastrotrich. These are pretty abundant in freshwater habitats, and are usually among the top five Protist groupings in terms of abundance in any typical small pond that is free from large vertebrate activity. The method of locomotion is rather interesting: the organisms possess glands at the tail end, one produces an adhesive that cements the animal temporarily, whilst the other produces a solvent that releases the animal from adhesion. Apparently the animal cements its tail end to a spot, whilst in a longitudinally compressed state, then extends itself forward, grasps the substrate at the forward end, releases the glue cementing the tail end, and brings the tail end forwards. Rinse, repeat, etc.
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby j.mills » Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Here's a fantastic book, aimed at adults but surely a delight for a bright kid: Jeff Hoke's The Museum Of Lost Wonder.

Every now and then, a book comes along that's almost impossible to categorize, like Hoke's beautifully illustrated gem, a strange marriage of alchemical lore and psychology, science and "wonder." Hoke, an artist and a senior exhibition designer at California's Monterey Bay Aquarium, writes that the eclectic museums and curiosity cabinets of the 1600s inspired him, and that he wants to return us to a time before "science became a belief system unto itself," a time when artist-alchemist-scientists were able to search for inner truth via mystical experiences and experiments without being ridiculed. Guided by the Greek muses and lured by his lovely color illustrations, readers are beckoned into seven "exhibition halls," named for the stages of alchemical transformation from base matter to divinely inspired knowledge. Each exhibit also includes a pull-out interactive paper model, such as a "Do-It-Yourself Model of the Universe" in chapter one, where Hoke playfully addresses various creation myths. The chapter on dream states, visions and hypnosis is particularly fascinating. This is a book to linger over; it gradually reveals itself as a sly philosophical meditation on human consciousness, bringing in concepts from Tibetan Buddhism and quantum physics.

And here's a marvellous activity: The Thousand-Yard Model: The Earth As A Peppercorn. Basically you take a mile walk to the edge of the solar system, placing objects to represent the planets, correctly to scale in both size and distance. Brings home just how little 'stuff' there actually is in the universe.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 10, 2011 6:41 am

I am so going to do that thousand yard model with my son. And then probably the neighbourhood kids and maybe his school. Thank you, brilliant!!!
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Parenting & Education