Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately?

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately?

#21  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 11:07 am

Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Oh? So some biology textbook has proven consciousness to be physical?

*flabbergasted*

Of course you havent!

Where does the OP mention consciousness?
Like I said, you've ne real interest. Troll someone who cares.
Consciousness = having experiences. The OP is about sensory experiences.

So do you go for option A or B? Or if you claim the issue has already been resolved by biology, can you provide a quote?

Sure. Here's a quote for you.

You come here asking for teaching, but your cup is full; I can't put anything in. Before I can teach you, you'll have to empty your cup.
Heres another one "You tried to mess with the wrong one, and got pwned. Justice is sweet".
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
that leprechauns create gold coins. - UndercoverElephant
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately?

#22  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 11:11 am

pl0bs wrote:Yet here you are, thinking and talking about the different senses you have (btw look up synestesia).

Something tells me that this point of reasoning isn't going to end well for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

My bold

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia; from the Ancient Greek σύν syn, "together", and αἴσθησις aisthēsis, "sensation") is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.

ETA plobs quote for accuracy because Tapatalk.
Last edited by felltoearth on Jul 23, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 11:13 am

felltoearth wrote:Something tells me that this point of reasoning isn't going to end well for you.

My bold

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia; from the Ancient Greek σύν syn, "together", and αἴσθησις aisthēsis, "sensation") is a neurological phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.
It just ended perfectly for me.
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#24  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 11:15 am

pl0bs wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Something tells me that this point of reasoning isn't going to end well for you.

My bold

How so. Explain your understanding of synesthesia and how it supports the op, and why it's a rare phenomenon in human minds.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jul 23, 2015 2:37 pm

pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:Are you looking for a philosophical answer to a biological question? Does this need to be moved to the biology sub-forum?
Otherwise state your intentions here clearly. I'm not playing any games.
Btw, it looks like you misread the topic. Its about the senses (the experiences), whereas you probably assumed it was purely about the biological sensory organs.

What's the difference?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#26  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm

felltoearth wrote:
pl0bs wrote:

My bold

How so. Explain your understanding of synesthesia and how it supports the op, and why it's a rare phenomenon in human minds.
The OP is a question, what do you mean to support it?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#27  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 3:02 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
Animavore wrote:Are you looking for a philosophical answer to a biological question? Does this need to be moved to the biology sub-forum?
Btw, it looks like you misread the topic. Its about the senses (the experiences), whereas you probably assumed it was purely about the biological sensory organs.

What's the difference?
Between physical and experiental? They have virtually no similarities.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#28  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 3:13 pm

pl0bs wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
pl0bs wrote:

My bold

For the concept of synesthesia to exist it requires that senses are indeed separate phenomena. I thought that would be obvious.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Sendraks » Jul 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Unfortunately reason won't work here, because of how Pl0bs approaches any given subject.

1 - Pl0bs makes a statement that he thinks is unerringly correct.
2 - People disagree with the statement.
3 - But Pl0bs thinks he is unerringly correct.
4 - Therefore Pl0bs has PWN'd you.

Repeat, ad nausem, for every subject on which Pl0bs post.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby SpeedOfSound » Jul 23, 2015 3:23 pm

pl0bs wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
pl0bs wrote:

What's the difference?

Seem the same to me.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#31  Postby laklak » Jul 23, 2015 4:15 pm

:yawn:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm

That pl0bs repeatedly trots out pwned, a failure to spell owned, whenever he trots out an "idea" that fails to make any sense, will never cease to be amusing.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 4:38 pm

felltoearth wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
pl0bs wrote:It just ended perfectly for me.

For the concept of synesthesia to exist it requires that senses are indeed separate phenomena. I thought that would be obvious.
Not sure what constitutes a seperate phenomenon, but do you think synesthesia supports option A, or B? Or neither?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#34  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Sendraks wrote:Unfortunately reason won't work here, because of how Pl0bs approaches any given subject.

Or:

1. Pl0bs asks a simple question.
2. Because the horde here knows pl0bs is not a materialist, they will troll and disagree with everything pl0bs says, even though pl0bs is just following cold hard logic and by now it should be clear pl0bs doesnt care if the horde wont befriend him.
3. Pl0bs pwns the horde once again.
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#35  Postby pl0bs » Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Btw, it looks like you misread the topic. Its about the senses (the experiences), whereas you probably assumed it was purely about the biological sensory organs.

What's the difference?

Seem the same to me.
Examples?
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#36  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 23, 2015 5:14 pm

pl0bs wrote:
Sendraks wrote:Unfortunately reason won't work here, because of how Pl0bs approaches any given subject.

Or:

1. Pl0bs asks a simple question.
2. Because the horde here knows pl0bs is not a materialist, they will troll and disagree with everything pl0bs says, even though pl0bs is just following cold hard logic and by now it should be clear pl0bs doesnt care if the horde wont befriend him.
3. Pl0bs pwns the horde once again.

Or:

1. pl0bs asks a predictably loaded question that doesn't make any sense.
2. pl0bs plays innocent despite his tedious, obvious ploy, trotting out the martyr card as soon as possible.
3. pl0bs performs exactly what I pointed out a couple posts ago, to the amusement of everyone.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby felltoearth » Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

pl0bs wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
pl0bs wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Not sure what constitutes a seperate phenomenon, but do you think synesthesia supports option A, or B? Or neither?

You introduced both the OP and synesthesia into the mix. You tell me.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby campermon » Jul 23, 2015 6:10 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:3. pl0bs performs exactly what I pointed out a couple posts ago, to the amusement of everyone.

^this.

It's Friday Eve; time for a beer folks.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Animavore » Jul 23, 2015 6:16 pm

It's Thursday. I think you've already had too many :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#40  Postby newolder » Jul 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Did our senses (the experiences) originate separately? pl0bs frequently asserts that consciousness is experiences so we can rewrite as: Did our consciousness originate separately? and ask, "Separately from what?" :doh:

In a related topic, we got this:
pl0bs wrote:Heres my position:

- we experience the world around us and this set of experiences is also known as consciousness

This gets repeated a lot so it must be true. :roll: However, it does allow the following clarifying rewrite...

- the experiences have consciousness has causal power or they it and our sense organs could not have evolved

In other words, consciousness and sense organs could not have evolved without consciousness. Circular reasoning is circular and error-prone.

Here is pl0bs' “position”, aka Option C for the op: assertion + circular reasoning => word salad.

A beer with salad? :cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection