Movies you refuse to watch ..and why

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Movies you refuse to watch ..and why

#81  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 04, 2017 3:17 am

Horror films stopped scaring me a few years ago, but then I started watching 'em deliberately to try to scare myself. I don't mean I went looking for the scary ones, but I got myself in a certain headspace for it and everything. Now they work again. Little film called The Interior freaked me out recently. Something really simple in it just worked.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#82  Postby VazScep » Jan 04, 2017 7:18 am

crank wrote:What do y'all mean by 'not scare'? Horror movies don't make me fear for my life, or make me want to sleep with the light on,
Horror movies used to do that to me, and more, and at the time, I thought that was the point. Now, I'm still just happy to appreciate those films that I recognise would have scared the crap out of me as a kid.

but good ones can profoundly unsettle, weird out, make extremely tense, stc.
Yeah, with supernatural/psychological horror, I now just want to be weirded out, to see something that evokes a dreamlike sense of "wrong", or maybe gives me a slightly queasy feeling.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby BlackBart » Jan 04, 2017 7:55 am

scott1328 wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:...

And also, I have a personal vow to be the last person in America to have never seen Titanic. Just the hype it got at the time and hearing that stupid Celine Dion song over and over gave me a revulsion to it so I refused to watch it when it was really popular, but now that it's been so long I figure why fold now? :shifty:

Well, you know how it ends, anyway.

Yes, Jack Dawson goes back in time to save Sarah Connor's grandmother from dying on the Titanic which had been struck by a ice berg, which had been placed there by Skynet.

What? No custard pie fight? :(
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 04, 2017 10:24 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:Any film that's an adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks book. I had to go through my queue just to make sure nothing like that ended up there accidentally.

And also, I have a personal vow to be the last person in America to have never seen Titanic. Just the hype it got at the time and hearing that stupid Celine Dion song over and over gave me a revulsion to it so I refused to watch it when it was really popular, but now that it's been so long I figure why fold now? :shifty:

I have never seen the film as well. For the same reasons. I went to Cobh (Queenstown) last year which was the final port of call in Ireland and thank goodness there was no mention of the film. It was considered far too inaccurate to be worth any reference.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Sendraks » Jan 04, 2017 10:26 am

I don't bother with most western horror movies, because they are silly and contrived. The moment the characters start doing something thoroughly stupid (such as splitting up in the dark to search or something daft like that), the movie becomes a comedy. Japanese and Korean horror is much more compelling and the actions of the characters are usually consistent with normal behaviour in a given setting. Some of the classic western horrors are ok and some of the horror/sci-fi movies like Alien.

Rom Coms I don't usually bother with.

I won't watch anything with Adam Sandler in it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#86  Postby Sendraks » Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

Also Del'Toro's horror movies are usually quite good.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#87  Postby zulumoose » Jan 04, 2017 12:36 pm

The Sound of Music - ugh, just too cringeworthy for words.

Most old-school musicals, of the Singing in the Rain or 7 Brides for 7 Brothers variety,

I think anyone who has a bias against Adam Sandler should watch The Waterboy. I dislike many American attempts at slapstick humour, but this one just stands out somehow, I have watched it over and over again with friends and family. I can't think of anything else he has done that I have seen and liked.

I don't like humour that is based on awkward situations, like the series "The Office" so won't watch any movie along those lines.

Most chick-flicks are like tasteless chewing gum, only slightly better at passing the time than doing nothing at all, unless they have plenty of quirky humour in them as a redeeming factor.

Teen movies with completely irrational oversimplified plots like Hunger Games or Divergent, or based on moody teenagers being moody and the whole world being against them from their perspective, like Twilight.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Nicko » Jan 04, 2017 2:51 pm

zulumoose wrote:I don't like humour that is based on awkward situations, like the series "The Office" so won't watch any movie along those lines.

I could watch a skit, even a serial skit, based on the premise of The Office. I just can't watch it in a longer form.

zulumoose wrote:Teen movies with completely irrational oversimplified plots like Hunger Games or Divergent, or based on moody teenagers being moody and the whole world being against them from their perspective, like Twilight.

Can't speak to Divergent. I think there's abseiling in it or something?

Don't mind The Hunger Games. My daughter based her first DnD character off Katniss*, so I might be biased.

The problems with Twilight go way beyond "moody teens", as I've said.

* And shocked my old RPG buddies when she decided that she wasn't going to waste her rations training that wolfpack to obey her; the flesh of those goblins she just riddled with arrows would do fine.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#89  Postby crank » Jan 04, 2017 3:20 pm

zulumoose wrote:The Sound of Music - ugh, just too cringeworthy for words.

Most old-school musicals, of the Singing in the Rain or 7 Brides for 7 Brothers variety,

I think anyone who has a bias against Adam Sandler should watch The Waterboy. I dislike many American attempts at slapstick humour, but this one just stands out somehow, I have watched it over and over again with friends and family. I can't think of anything else he has done that I have seen and liked.

I don't like humour that is based on awkward situations, like the series "The Office" so won't watch any movie along those lines.

Most chick-flicks are like tasteless chewing gum, only slightly better at passing the time than doing nothing at all, unless they have plenty of quirky humour in them as a redeeming factor.

Teen movies with completely irrational oversimplified plots like Hunger Games or Divergent, or based on moody teenagers being moody and the whole world being against them from their perspective, like Twilight.

You could be right about Waterboy, but weighing whether I should watch it or not, the risks far outweigh the benefits, so I'll pass. This isn't about it being your recommendation, it could come from anyone, my best friend who I agree with on almost all movies even, my risk assessment would be the same.

Your 'awkward' thing is interesting and might be similar to a kind of comedy that does nothing for me, completely goes over my head, around it, underneath, ???, it just never makes me laugh. I think of it as 'Bill Murray' comedy, now, don't get me wrong, Murray is fantastic, extremely funny, but when he came to SNL, a lot of his skits had what I always thought of as 'stupid' humour, pretty much anyone involved acts like ridiculous morons, and it's not a good ridiculous. His work along these lines was quite popular, and I think he started the whole line of similar comics, TV, and movies with such humour. Very similar to Will Ferrell, another guy that can be really funny, but I can't watch any of his movies, it's one cringe after another. He isn't as bad as Sandler, but if I were stuck on an Island with both of them, Ferrell might live a few hours longer, but not many.

I think you could say, about this kind of comedy, that it's not just about stupid characters/situations, but it's usually an extremely awkward stupidity. Is this along the lines with what you're thinking? I haven't watched either of The Offices, US or UK, but the few bits I've seen were either extremely funny or seemed of the 'Bill Murray' variety as I call it.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Sendraks » Jan 04, 2017 3:23 pm

crank wrote: He isn't as bad as Sandler, but if I were stuck on an Island with both of them, Ferrell might live a few hours longer, but not many.

I get the impression, from some of the non-comedy stuff Ferrell has done, that he's quite an interesting guy and probably someone you could discuss things with.

Sandler would just be food.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby crank » Jan 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Sendraks wrote:
crank wrote: He isn't as bad as Sandler, but if I were stuck on an Island with both of them, Ferrell might live a few hours longer, but not many.

I get the impression, from some of the non-comedy stuff Ferrell has done, that he's quite an interesting guy and probably someone you could discuss things with.

Sandler would just be food.

Yeah, I agree with both assessments, I should have said I meant if their 'character' was there. Ferrell can be really funny, and smart from the few times I've seen him as himself, Sandler would be much funnier and more interesting as a quiche.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#92  Postby don't get me started » Jan 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Anything with Steven Segal, Chuck Norris or directed by John Woo. Anything with superheroes. Anything centered on the lives and tribulations of American high school kids. Martial arts movies of any stripe. Gross re-writings of history (U 571 for example), all of those Chinese wire action movies, all of those baffling pseudo-intellectual French movies from the 1960’s, rock ‘n roll biopics, most modern musicals, remakes of period classics (Get Carter, The Wicker man, Psycho etc.) Oh, did I mention, anything with superheroes? Movies about gangs, rappers and goings on ‘in da hood’. James Bond movies with Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton. And, er, just for good measure, anything with superheroes.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#93  Postby crank » Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

You mean you don't appreciate the cinematic genius of the Faye Dunaway/Helen Slater Supergirl?

Your take on Woo is woo! Woo wocks!
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#94  Postby The_Piper » Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I liked some of Adam Sandler's comedy album, the one with The Hanukah Song, Lunch Lady Land, Food Innuendo Guy, and "the buffoon". Granted I was 20 years younger. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#95  Postby crank » Jan 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Don't search youtube for a video performance of The Hanukah Song, it could easily ruin you're appreciation of the song!
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#96  Postby The_Piper » Jan 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Hmm, now I just might. :lay:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby crank » Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm

It's just too easy sometimes. Don't be a tool!
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Mike_L » Jan 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Sendraks wrote:Sandler would just be food.

Almost! :evilgrin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#99  Postby Animavore » Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Conspiracy theory movies. Things like Zeitgeist and Loose Change. Because I've better things to do.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#100  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 04, 2017 7:44 pm

I like finding great films in otherwise shitty genres. Like rom coms.

Yes, I will avoid Will Farrell movies at all costs, the one character he plays isn't funny.

Waterboy is probably the most watchable of Sandler movies, but still not really worth your time.

I've almost never been scared by horror films, so don't usually enjoy them on that level. I do really like seeing great practical effects for gory stuff though, which usually results in me laughing in delight.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV