My wife isn't speaking to me

because I didn't like Transformers 3

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: My wife isn't speaking to me

#101  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Feb 06, 2012 6:53 pm

People. Can't live with them, can't live without them. I need them to hurry up and finish making these:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news-politics/loving-a-sex-robot-insanity-or-reality-t29131.html

Companionship without the irrationality...bliss.
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#102  Postby Imagination Theory » Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:

I've a friend at the mo' isn't allowed play his PS3 any more yet from 7-9pm he has to sit and watch soaps with her. Simple solution - he plays games while she watches soaps. But no, to her that's spending "quality time" together.

Lads need to put the foot down and say 'I'm gonna do my thing, you do yours.' You can't generally expect to be into all the same stuff as someone else and why pretend?

It's not just women who do this. I have this same problem with my hubby. He wants me to sit on the couch with him and watch HIS shows - shows that I have absolutely no interest in watching, like boring stuff about motorcycles and building cars. I say "sure sweetie, I'll just get my book" and then he pouts because I don't want to "spend time with him." I'll even let him put his feet in my lap, but for some reason if I don't have my eyes on the same thing that his eyes are on I'm not spending time with him? WTF?

:lol: That is strange. I understand wanting to share something you really enjoy with your loved one, but when they obviously don't want to or you know they don't like it then I'd think you'd just drop it?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Scarlett » Feb 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm sure quixotecoyote and his wife have made up by now and I don't want to drag up what was obviously a painful experience for her but....

He can't say he didn't like a film? Really? He needs to give a positive review of a shit film just because his wife chose it?

Short of him saying that it spoiled their night totally and he wished she'd never been born because of her dreadful choice in movies it should have been an "Oh well, never mind, you choose next time love" moment.

To add to later discussions:
My SO watches Top Gear repeats and how to build cars from elastic bands and a few bits of shit from your wheelie-bin and I come on here :grin:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#104  Postby 210karman » Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Imagination Theory wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:

I've a friend at the mo' isn't allowed play his PS3 any more yet from 7-9pm he has to sit and watch soaps with her. Simple solution - he plays games while she watches soaps. But no, to her that's spending "quality time" together.

Lads need to put the foot down and say 'I'm gonna do my thing, you do yours.' You can't generally expect to be into all the same stuff as someone else and why pretend?

It's not just women who do this. I have this same problem with my hubby. He wants me to sit on the couch with him and watch HIS shows - shows that I have absolutely no interest in watching, like boring stuff about motorcycles and building cars. I say "sure sweetie, I'll just get my book" and then he pouts because I don't want to "spend time with him." I'll even let him put his feet in my lap, but for some reason if I don't have my eyes on the same thing that his eyes are on I'm not spending time with him? WTF?

:lol: That is strange. I understand wanting to share something you really enjoy with your loved one, but when they obviously don't want to or you know they don't like it then I'd think you'd just drop it?

I tried a compromise for joint activity during the soaps but the wife couldn't concentrate (on the soaps) and it was too much hassle to move the coffee table anyway.
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#105  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm

That is AWESOME. You won't have to be a good listener for however long this lasts. Congratulations. Enjoy! :dance:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Scarlett » Feb 06, 2012 9:46 pm

210karman wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:

I tried a compromise for joint activity during the soaps but the wife couldn't concentrate (on the soaps) and it was too much hassle to move the coffee table anyway.

My mother watches ALL the soaps when she's visiting, they're on for hours, every night. It's torture :nono:

She then decides she's got loads to talk about when House is on, probably the only series I watch faithfully :roll:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Emmeline » Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm

Paula wrote:
My mother watches ALL the soaps when she's visiting, they're on for hours, every night. It's torture :nono:

She then decides she's got loads to talk about when House is on, probably the only series I watch faithfully :roll:

Thankfully, nobody around me watches soaps but if they did, I'd have to be able to do what I wanted for the duration.

What's the thing with some people where they need others to join them? I only ever want to watch things with people who are also likely to enjoy that and if there's nobody around who likes the same thing, I watch the prog/film on my own, quite happily. I've been pressurised in the past to join people in watching something that's their taste and not mine. It just made me bored / resentful inside of wasted time.

As for going to see a film in the cinema, if I agree to go with someone who chose the film and I didn't enjoy it, I'd be tactful about my response so they knew I appreciated they'd organised it. Diplomacy goes a long way in all relationships and we could all probably use more of it. :lol:
Emmeline

Print view this post

#108  Postby Scarlett » Feb 06, 2012 10:48 pm

Emmeline wrote:
Paula wrote:

Thankfully, nobody around me watches soaps but if they did, I'd have to be able to do what I wanted for the duration.

What's the thing with some people where they need others to join them? I only ever want to watch things with people who are also likely to enjoy that and if there's nobody around who likes the same thing, I watch the prog/film on my own, quite happily. I've been pressurised in the past to join people in watching something that's their taste and not mine. It just made me bored / resentful inside of wasted time.

As for going to see a film in the cinema, if I agree to go with someone who chose the film and I didn't enjoy it, I'd be tactful about my response so they knew I appreciated they'd organised it. Diplomacy goes a long way in all relationships and we could all probably use more of it. :lol:

No, I can't see me ever taking it personally if my SO said he didn't like a film I'd chosen.

I tell you what does piss me off though. He'll say "Want to watch a film tonight?", I say "Yes, what do you fancy?". He suggests I go online and go through some filmy sites to choose. So I'm sitting suggesting this one, that one, the next one. All of them "No, don't fancy that", "no, Don't fancy that". So I Tell him to have a look, "No, you choose" he says. So I suggest another 25 titles, none of which he fancies. He then has a look himself because I'm getting pissed off and chooses some action shite that he knows I hate. We watch it mainly because I can't be arsed anymore, I tell him it was shite. I'm being awkward because I didn't get my way :roll:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#109  Postby orpheus » Feb 06, 2012 11:05 pm

quixotecoyote wrote:While I appreciate the suggestions, like I said in post #11, we made up after an hour or two.

We fight every once in a while, even about stupid things. But we're pretty good about giving space for a bit and then talking.

So I can actually tell her, "Hey, it makes me feel stifled when you take criticism of things I don't like as a personal attack on you, it's not meant that way and I enjoy spending time with you even if I don't like what we're watching."

And she can tell me, "I get that it's not fair, and I'm sorry, but when you make negative arguments about the parts of things I like, it makes me feel stupid for liking it and I feel attacked."

Then I can say, "Oh, that kinda makes sense, I'll try not give a 'this is too stupid for a reasonable person to like' vibe."

And she can say, "And I'll try not to make it about me when it really isn't."

And we can kiss and make up.

Blessings on thee.

Have some popcorn.

:popcorn: (Uncle Orph'sTM popcorn - "fun for the whole family!" )
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Paul G » Feb 06, 2012 11:21 pm

I've realised how great my relationship is. Thanks all.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#111  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Feb 07, 2012 6:35 am

Paula wrote:I tell you what does piss me off though. He'll say "Want to watch a film tonight?", I say "Yes, what do you fancy?". He suggests I go online and go through some filmy sites to choose. So I'm sitting suggesting this one, that one, the next one. All of them "No, don't fancy that", "no, Don't fancy that". So I Tell him to have a look, "No, you choose" he says. So I suggest another 25 titles, none of which he fancies. He then has a look himself because I'm getting pissed off and chooses some action shite that he knows I hate. We watch it mainly because I can't be arsed anymore, I tell him it was shite. I'm being awkward because I didn't get my way :roll:

:lol: I can imagine myself being like that, except we wouldn't even get to the stage of me choosing one instead. I'm too "nice" (as in unassertive). But I do need a girl that would tell me if she thought it was shit. More honesty! Less diplomacy!
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Scarlett » Feb 07, 2012 9:31 am

xtraordinaryevidence wrote:
Paula wrote:I tell you what does piss me off though. He'll say "Want to watch a film tonight?", I say "Yes, what do you fancy?". He suggests I go online and go through some filmy sites to choose. So I'm sitting suggesting this one, that one, the next one. All of them "No, don't fancy that", "no, Don't fancy that". So I Tell him to have a look, "No, you choose" he says. So I suggest another 25 titles, none of which he fancies. He then has a look himself because I'm getting pissed off and chooses some action shite that he knows I hate. We watch it mainly because I can't be arsed anymore, I tell him it was shite. I'm being awkward because I didn't get my way :roll:

:lol: I can imagine myself being like that, except we wouldn't even get to the stage of me choosing one instead. I'm too "nice" (as in unassertive). But I do need a girl that would tell me if she thought it was shit. More honesty! Less diplomacy!

:lol:

Aw, book in with me for some assertiveness classes ;)
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Scarlett » Feb 07, 2012 9:39 am

quixotecoyote wrote:While I appreciate the suggestions, like I said in post #11, we made up after an hour or two.

We fight every once in a while, even about stupid things. But we're pretty good about giving space for a bit and then talking.

So I can actually tell her, "Hey, it makes me feel stifled when you take criticism of things I don't like as a personal attack on you, it's not meant that way and I enjoy spending time with you even if I don't like what we're watching."

And she can tell me, "I get that it's not fair, and I'm sorry, but when you make negative arguments about the parts of things I like, it makes me feel stupid for liking it and I feel attacked."

Then I can say, "Oh, that kinda makes sense, I'll try not give a 'this is too stupid for a reasonable person to like' vibe."

And she can say, "And I'll try not to make it about me when it really isn't."

And we can kiss and make up.

OP was about a weird moment in movie watching, but I'll argue that couples need to have reasonable expectations and the ability to talk to each other if the relationship is to be at all healthy.

Bloody hell, I wish I had even an ounce of this diplomacy :?

My discussion would have gone something like:

Me: "Why are you being such a prick?
Him: Stomps off in a huff because I called him a prick.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Animavore » Feb 07, 2012 9:45 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:

:o You're a woman!

I really need to stop assuming everyone to be male by default :tehe:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Animavore » Feb 07, 2012 9:51 am

mattwilson wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Same in my house mate, it's time spent together when we're together watching her stuff and she's talking about her day for on average 4-5 hours. She refuses point blank to entertain any idea of letting me watch my own thing or even asking me how my day was.

Needless to say things are slipping down the shitter :)

I would give advice but as my advice for everything is, 'Ditch her' and I'm still single I'm starting to question my reliability as a person to seek advice off of :P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Scarlett » Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am

Animavore wrote:
mattwilson wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Same in my house mate, it's time spent together when we're together watching her stuff and she's talking about her day for on average 4-5 hours. She refuses point blank to entertain any idea of letting me watch my own thing or even asking me how my day was.

I would give advice but as my advice for everything is, 'Ditch her' and I'm still single I'm starting to question my reliability as a person to seek advice off of :P

I think what you need to do Matt, what we all need to do, is communicate more like quixotecoyote and his wife. But no, Ani's not yer man for advice re. wimmin ;)
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Animavore » Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am

Unless you're looking for advice on how to get rid of them :P
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#118  Postby mattthomas » Feb 07, 2012 10:59 am

Paula wrote:
Animavore wrote:
mattwilson wrote:
Animavore wrote:

I think what you need to do Matt, what we all need to do, is communicate more like quixotecoyote and his wife. But no, Ani's not yer man for advice re. wimmin ;)

Maybe if she was like his wife your suggestion would have merit :thumbup:
She literally doesn't give a flying fuck how my day has been, how I'm feeling emotionally or physically blah blah, oh well... shit happens :coffee:
mattthomas

Print view this post

#119  Postby Scarlett » Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am

Aw Matt :(
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Animavore » Feb 07, 2012 11:05 am

Matt, Do you have a con-saw, some lime and a shovel. I might have a solution :think:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV