A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#8142  Postby VazScep » Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Admittedly, the guy looks about 12, but is Riz Ahmed supposed to be playing a normal university student?
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8143  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Animavore wrote:Do. It's great.

It really is. :thumbup:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8144  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Currently watching Bojack Horseman. A lot like Bob's Burgers: mildly funny with some enjoyable characters.

Also, why does it seem to be a requirement of adult-themed cartoons of this type to look like they were drawn by ten year olds?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8145  Postby proudfootz » Jul 30, 2016 10:30 pm

It started with The Flintstones and hasn't changed much since then.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8146  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 31, 2016 12:19 am

Not really. Even in the case of Flintstones you had people who actually knew how to design cartoon characters instead of crummy flat outlines that look like they were drawn with ballpoint pen. Just look at Avatar as a quick example: most actual kid's animation these days have art skill well in excess of what you see on the adult shows, character designers and animators that can actually create depth, dimension and motion. I don't understand why all these shows for adults have to look like flat piles of crap. It's like they all saw Beavis And Butthead and decided they didn't have to try anymore. It was fresh and interesting 30 years ago, but now it just looks hackneyed and lazy. Hire some artists, for fuck's sake.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8147  Postby scott1328 » Jul 31, 2016 1:11 am

Archer
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8148  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 31, 2016 2:54 am

scott1328 wrote:Archer

Animation's a bit clunky, but yeah, at least they can draw.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8149  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 31, 2016 10:09 am

Reviews I read say Bojack really becomes interesting in season two, but season three seems like where actual shit is starting to happen.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8150  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 31, 2016 10:21 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Not really. Even in the case of Flintstones you had people who actually knew how to design cartoon characters instead of crummy flat outlines that look like they were drawn with ballpoint pen. Just look at Avatar as a quick example: most actual kid's animation these days have art skill well in excess of what you see on the adult shows, character designers and animators that can actually create depth, dimension and motion. I don't understand why all these shows for adults have to look like flat piles of crap. It's like they all saw Beavis And Butthead and decided they didn't have to try anymore. It was fresh and interesting 30 years ago, but now it just looks hackneyed and lazy. Hire some artists, for fuck's sake.

Probably because it's cheaper.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8151  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 01, 2016 9:35 am

Really dark ending of Preacher.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8152  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 01, 2016 10:18 am

The night of, is so good.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8153  Postby Animavore » Aug 01, 2016 10:38 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Really dark ending of Preacher.

Ho-leeee shit!
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8154  Postby VazScep » Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Okay. I fucking loved Preacher, and I'm really looking forward to the next series.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8155  Postby VazScep » Aug 01, 2016 8:49 pm

We must have different ideas about dark. The Night Of is way darker, IMO, almost nihilistic.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8156  Postby Pulsar » Aug 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Stranger Things

Believe the hype. I binged the whole show from start to finish in a single day, I just couldn't stop watching. This show really took me back to my childhood. It's hard to create an homage without making it look like a rip-off, but they pulled it off brilliantly. Spotting all the references is a game in itself: E.T., The Goonies, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Explorers, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Thing, Jaws, basically every classic Stephen King story (The Body aka Stand By Me, It, Firestarter, Carrie, The Mist, Cujo, The Shining,...), and even a few nods to Twin Peaks. It's all in there. And the soundtrack is fantastic. Sure, the story lacked some originality, but I had way too much fun to be bothered about that.

I love the fact that the kids are the protagonists, so that the story is a perfect blend of a light hearted adventure and some classic horror elements. It wouldn't have worked from a purely adult point of view. Child actors are always a risk, but thankfully they did a fantastic job. The young lead actress in particular was phenomenal, she has a bright future ahead of her.

My only gripes are that the backstory and some characters could've been fleshed out more, but those are nitpicks. Best show of 2016 so far, and it came out of nowhere. Highly recommended.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8157  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2016 9:08 am

VazScep wrote:
We must have different ideas about dark. The Night Of is way darker, IMO, almost nihilistic.

I never said which was darker.
Also, you don't consider the whole town finding out God is missing and then giving up on live to go murder, watch tv etc. with hopeless stares, all for them to get blown up by the methane plant, not dark?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8158  Postby VazScep » Aug 03, 2016 9:56 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Also, you don't consider the whole town finding out God is missing and then giving up on live to go murder, watch tv etc. with hopeless stares, all for them to get blown up by the methane plant, not dark?
Not really, no. Comically cynical, but that's about it. Nothing really disturbing. Preacher is mostly just a barrel of fun for me.

The bit that I thought was dark was Custer accidentally sending a kid to hell and his attitude afterwards. Though even that was (lamely) mitigated by throwing in a story from left-field that the kid had committed a heinous crime. Also, there was Quincannon murdering the Greenacre folk, which at the time I took to be him serving God in a twisted way, but I think that plot got dumped.
Last edited by VazScep on Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8159  Postby Fallible » Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am

Pulsar wrote:Stranger Things

Believe the hype. I binged the whole show from start to finish in a single day, I just couldn't stop watching. This show really took me back to my childhood. It's hard to create an homage without making it look like a rip-off, but they pulled it off brilliantly. Spotting all the references is a game in itself: E.T., The Goonies, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Explorers, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Thing, Jaws, basically every classic Stephen King story (The Body aka Stand By Me, It, Firestarter, Carrie, The Mist, Cujo, The Shining,...), and even a few nods to Twin Peaks. It's all in there. And the soundtrack is fantastic. Sure, the story lacked some originality, but I had way too much fun to be bothered about that.

I love the fact that the kids are the protagonists, so that the story is a perfect blend of a light hearted adventure and some classic horror elements. It wouldn't have worked from a purely adult point of view. Child actors are always a risk, but thankfully they did a fantastic job. The young lead actress in particular was phenomenal, she has a bright future ahead of her.

My only gripes are that the backstory and some characters could've been fleshed out more, but those are nitpicks. Best show of 2016 so far, and it came out of nowhere. Highly recommended.

:nod:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8160  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 03, 2016 10:11 am

VazScep wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Not really, no. Comically cynical, but that's about it. Nothing really disturbing. Preacher is mostly just a barrel of fun for me.

Fair enough. :thumbup:

VazScep wrote:The bit that I thought was dark was Custer accidentally sending a kid to hell and his attitude afterwards. Though even that was (lamely) mitigated by throwing in a story from left-field that the kid had committed a heinous crime.

I seem to have missed that bit. :?

VazScep wrote:Also, there was Quincannon murdering the Greenacre folk, which at the time I took to be him serving God in a twisted way, but I think that plot got dumped.

Yea, afaik that went nowhere.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV