Why is 'How I met your mother' popular?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why is 'How I met your mother' popular?

#21  Postby HughMcB » Mar 26, 2012 7:59 pm

:lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ABTOTW7aY[/youtube]
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

:grin:

One of my favourite SP episodes that.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#23  Postby HughMcB » Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agy6KOSwyA8[/youtube]
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Piper » Mar 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Digs at Seinfeld. :nono:
The show's humor was the dialogue and characters, not jokes.
We have a Seinfeld thread here where criticism is always welcome. But it may fall on deaf ears. :tongue:
I've never seen the show in the OP, sorry. I'll try to find a free episode online later.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Hehe I kinda dislike Family Guy, but I always like how they diss other shows. :)

That said, I don't understand the appeal of HIMYM either. Seinfeld otoh, is awesome.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#26  Postby amkerman » Mar 26, 2012 8:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349YdFqr9VQ[/youtube]
Bring me gold and bring me wisdom- give me scars to bring me grace.

A wicked wit and when I use it I dash the hopes of those who hate me.

Give me love- big as a mountain.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 26, 2012 10:30 pm

HughMcB wrote::lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4ABTOTW7aY[/youtube]

I used to love South Park and still watch it, but I was kind of with Kyle on it. It's a funny show. So what if it's not story-driven. It's funny... and South Park really hasn't been.
Yeah, they follow a storyline, but the storylines are usually parodies... not very good ones either. The jokes seem to fall flat lately.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 31, 2012 10:48 am

Why is 'How I Met Your Mother' popular? Simple cause it's Legen — wait for it... Dary! :grin:
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 31, 2012 11:01 am

SUIT UP!

I have one rule...........
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 31, 2012 11:19 am

American sit-coms :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
I just dont understand how anyone can watch them.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 31, 2012 1:27 pm

I can't stand How I Met Your Mother. It just isn't funny at all to me. Which is why I'm always baffled that a lot of people treat it like it's the funniest thing in the world. I've heard a few people saying that "Legen...wait for it..." thing in real life and everytime it is met with uproarious laughter while I just stand there and try and figure out what I'm missing out on. Not much, it seems.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby ED209 » Mar 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Community. Funny as fuck and is a pure sitcom (minus the canned laughter).

Every episode of Family Guy shits all over any episode of South Park. Even American Dad shits all over South Park. In fact, The Cleveland Show shits all over South Park.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#33  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 31, 2012 2:26 pm

I prefer American Dad to Family Guy. It's more story driven and there's more political satire. :coffee:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 31, 2012 2:27 pm

The Cleveland show is among the worst pieces of television ever made.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I can't stand How I Met Your Mother. It just isn't funny at all to me. Which is why I'm always baffled that a lot of people treat it like it's the funniest thing in the world. I've heard a few people saying that "Legen...wait for it..." thing in real life and everytime it is met with uproarious laughter while I just stand there and try and figure out what I'm missing out on. Not much, it seems.

I came to realise years ago that every TV show (and movie for that matter) has a fan base cause there are things in a show that many people will love while others will hate (there's loads of shows I can't stand and have no idea why they have a fan base but they do) so there might be things about How I Met Your Mother that people find amusing but you don't.

ED209 wrote:Every episode of Family Guy shits all over any episode of South Park. Even American Dad shits all over South Park. In fact, The Cleveland Show shits all over South Park.

I like Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show and I just don't get the appeal of South Park at all. I watched it a few times and never found it funny one bit and from what I heard the creators of South Park are complete pricks who hate anyone else who is an Atheist in Hollywood (that may explain why they bash fellow famous Atheists like Joss Whedon and Seth MacFarlane).

MacIver wrote:I prefer American Dad to Family Guy. It's more story driven and there's more political satire. :coffee:

I was into American Dad first before Family Guy, one thing I have noticed about the show is that the past couple of years Francine has become a total bitch especially towards Hayley's husband (mind you I wouldn't be surprised she hates him more since it was revealed that he has to think about Francine as he's screwing Hayley).
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#36  Postby amkerman » Mar 31, 2012 3:45 pm

south park and any show by mcfarlan don't compare. South Park is on a whole other level. It is lightyears ahead of family guy/ american dad. Family guy and AM dad are decent too. Family guy is better. haven't seen cleveland show.

The social commentary in South Park is spot on. the level of sophistication and subtlety is astounding. That it pisses people off is good. Those people need to wake up anyways. If you don't like South Park you need to re-evaluate your attitude and worldview. That is my honest opinion.

Family guy is just funny. They deal with topics sometimes, but generally it's just random shit. I used to love that show, but it got old fast. I still enjoy it though.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 31, 2012 3:51 pm

dalv8409 wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I can't stand How I Met Your Mother. It just isn't funny at all to me. Which is why I'm always baffled that a lot of people treat it like it's the funniest thing in the world. I've heard a few people saying that "Legen...wait for it..." thing in real life and everytime it is met with uproarious laughter while I just stand there and try and figure out what I'm missing out on. Not much, it seems.

I came to realise years ago that every TV show (and movie for that matter) has a fan base cause there are things in a show that many people will love while others will hate (there's loads of shows I can't stand and have no idea why they have a fan base but they do) so there might be things about How I Met Your Mother that people find amusing but you don't.

ED209 wrote:Every episode of Family Guy shits all over any episode of South Park. Even American Dad shits all over South Park. In fact, The Cleveland Show shits all over South Park.

I like Family Guy, American Dad and The Cleveland Show and I just don't get the appeal of South Park at all. I watched it a few times and never found it funny one bit and from what I heard the creators of South Park are complete pricks who hate anyone else who is an Atheist in Hollywood (that may explain why they bash fellow famous Atheists like Joss Whedon and Seth MacFarlane).

MacIver wrote:I prefer American Dad to Family Guy. It's more story driven and there's more political satire. :coffee:

I was into American Dad first before Family Guy, one thing I have noticed about the show is that the past couple of years Francine has become a total bitch especially towards Hayley's husband (mind you I wouldn't be surprised she hates him more since it was revealed that he has to think about Francine as he's screwing Hayley).

You saw earlier episodes of South Park? That's when they used to be good I think. It was 2006 when they started becoming like The Simpsons are now.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 31, 2012 3:52 pm

amkerman wrote:south park and any show by mcfarlan don't compare. South Park is on a whole other level. It is lightyears ahead of family guy/ american dad. Family guy and AM dad are decent too. Family guy is better. haven't seen cleveland show.

The social commentary in South Park is spot on. the level of sophistication and subtlety is astounding. That it pisses people off is good. Those people need to wake up anyways. If you don't like South Park you need to re-evaluate your attitude and worldview. That is my honest opinion.

Family guy is just funny. They deal with topics sometimes, but generally it's just random shit. I used to love that show, but it got old fast. I still enjoy it though.

I think it is you that has to take a look at your world view. American comedy like most things in American entertainment is shit.

If you think South Park is sophisticated and subtle then I am sorry for you.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 31, 2012 3:52 pm

You know what's funny... i got into Fmily Guy because of that South Park episode making fun of it. :lol:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby amkerman » Mar 31, 2012 4:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
amkerman wrote:south park and any show by mcfarlan don't compare. South Park is on a whole other level. It is lightyears ahead of family guy/ american dad. Family guy and AM dad are decent too. Family guy is better. haven't seen cleveland show.

I think it is you that has to take a look at your world view. American comedy like most things in American entertainment is shit.

If you think South Park is sophisticated and subtle then I am sorry for you.

:this: glares of an inferiority complex and low self esteem. The post doesn't have any self-esteem, and an inferiority complex. It needs therapy. The POST!
:)
:coffee:

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV