Why is 'How I met your mother' popular?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why is 'How I met your mother' popular?

#61  Postby mattthomas » Apr 02, 2012 4:02 pm

You know what, I used to think you guys were cool... but you're picking on my woman there and I won't stand for it.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#62  Postby Tbickle » Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm

MacIver wrote:It's a shame she's a lesbian.

I think her husband would like to know that.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#63  Postby The_Piper » Apr 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Her head looks like it was pasted into the picture. :nono: Is that Mrs. Potato Head?

The actual actress is pretty I think. This outrage is all America's fault.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Mazille » Apr 02, 2012 9:37 pm

HughMcB wrote:He is also great in the Harold and Kumar franchise, he's the highlight of most of the films.

I loved how they lampshaded Harris's being gay in that one, by the way.
HIMYM mainly is funny because of Barney, by the way. Build up jokes and running gags are becoming more popular these days, mainly because the powers that be aren't afraid they'd make their series less appealing to casual viewers. It's a case of them not seeing the general populace as dumb beyond redemption any more. It's mostly just as just casual dumb these days. And that is at least partly because of HIMYM's success.

Not a huge fan myself, but it does pass the time and it is funny at times. Now, if you want to see build up jokes and running gags brought close to perfection...
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#65  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Mazille wrote:
HughMcB wrote:He is also great in the Harold and Kumar franchise, he's the highlight of most of the films.

I loved how they lampshaded Harris's being gay in that one, by the way.
HIMYM mainly is funny because of Barney, by the way. Build up jokes and running gags are becoming more popular these days, mainly because the powers that be aren't afraid they'd make their series less appealing to casual viewers. It's a case of them not seeing the general populace as dumb beyond redemption any more. It's mostly just as just casual dumb these days. And that is at least partly because of HIMYM's success.

Not a huge fan myself, but it does pass the time and it is funny at times. Now, if you want to see build up jokes and running gags brought close to perfection...

Agree completely. The episodes are decent on their own, but the real moments that just grab you and make you laugh come from buildups over the course of episodes and even seasons.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Wuffy » Apr 03, 2012 7:45 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:I suspect there's been a lot of airbrushing in that photo. It almost doesn't even look like her.

While there is some airbrushing in that photo.. it has been OVER 10 YEARS since she did that photo shoot...
:popcorn:
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#67  Postby dalv8409 » Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Lizard_King wrote:Anyone who thinks anyone needs to re-evaluate their attitude and worldview because of a TV show needs to re-evaluate their attitude and worldview... :shifty:

HIMYM, South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, all these are TV shows. If you don't like it, don't watch it. I personally enjoy all of the above except for the Cleveland Show (never got the humor on that one, although I only watched the first few episodes). As long as these shows aren't systematically lying to people like other shows on certain networks do (*cough* Fox News *cough*), I don't see the point in debating which country has the most enjoyable TV shows. Pick the ones you like, watch them, and ignore the rest.

Exactly that is why I said in my post on this topic that every TV show does have a fan base whether it is a large fanbase or a small fanbase. I really don't get why people say people who don't like a show need to change their attitude. No wonder why I draw parallels between fanbases of TV shows (or movies, or celebrities or what ever) and religion in terms of trying to get people into being a fan of a TV show is like religious people trying to convert people to a/their religion. The only difference being fanbases rarely get violent and beat up the non-fans unlike religious believers beating the shit into non-believers.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#68  Postby dalv8409 » Apr 03, 2012 12:41 pm

The only criticism I've ever had on How I Met Your Mother was the stupid attempts they done to hide the pregnancies of Alyson Hannigan and Cobie Smulders during the shows fourth season. I understand that it was established that Robin didn't want children so the attempts of hiding Cobie's pregnancy was understandable but hiding Alyson's pregnancy since Lily wanted children was really dull, mind you since Lily is now pregnant on the show hiding is not an issue since Alyson Hannigan is pregnant with her second child. Of course How I Met Your Mother is some ways also did the right thing to attempt to hide the pregnancies during season four cause the thing is when an actress gets pregnant during their time on any TV show, writers often come up with the dullest storylines should they decide make their characters pregnant.

mattwilson wrote:You know what, I used to think you guys were cool... but you're picking on my woman there and I won't stand for it.

Don't worry Matt, I'm a fan of Alyson Hannigan too. While I love her on How I Met Your Mother and the American Pie films I will always see her as Willow on Buffy.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#69  Postby HughMcB » Apr 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Mazille wrote:Not a huge fan myself, but it does pass the time and it is funny at times. Now, if you want to see build up jokes and running gags brought close to perfection...

Comedy gold. Why more people aren't watching that show is beyond me. :)
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Tbickle wrote:
MacIver wrote:It's a shame she's a lesbian.

I think her husband would like to know that.

It was a reference to the Willow, the character she played in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :whistle:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Blip » Apr 06, 2012 9:54 am

!
MODNOTE
Amkerman, you have received a warning for a post in this thread here.

You are advised to moderate your posting style in future or you may face further sanctions.

Any comments on this modnote or moderation should not be made in the thread as they will be considered off topic. You may PM me or another moderator or you may raise a thread in feedback if you so wish.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#72  Postby campermon » Apr 06, 2012 9:58 am

Are you spamming the boards Blip?

:lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV