Going to London and Edinburgh in May

Advice or meetups?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Going to London and Edinburgh in May

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Why?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby BlackBart » Apr 30, 2017 3:25 pm

Didn't find it particularly interesting. Lots more going on elsewhere. :dunno:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 30, 2017 3:39 pm

When was this?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby BlackBart » Apr 30, 2017 3:53 pm

About eight years ago.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Ironclad wrote:Shoot me a PM, I'm in London and happy to meet.
Head for Charing cross, the pubs there are exceptional
I'll check my rota, it's changed for may

Hey Ironclad. I'm getting an error when I try to PM you. "The BBCodes: modnote, bluemn,
are not allowed for you and will extracted from the Message."

I'm in London now can try PM me with a meetup time and place if you are free tomorrow?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby VazScep » Apr 30, 2017 4:46 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:FFS Edinburgh is a big tourist honey pot. Dont waste your money.

I have a day and a half. I'm there mostly to visit the castle and meet people. I don't plan on doing the touristy shit, nor am I planning on buying a kilt. I would like to venture out from the city central but don't really know where to go. Advice would be welcome.
I'm afraid I've never really done much touristy stuff in Edinburgh. I haven't even managed to visit the Castle.

I know great places to drink very nice beer. I also know a lot of nice places for walking.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 30, 2017 5:55 pm

VazScep wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:FFS Edinburgh is a big tourist honey pot. Dont waste your money.

I have a day and a half. I'm there mostly to visit the castle and meet people. I don't plan on doing the touristy shit, nor am I planning on buying a kilt. I would like to venture out from the city central but don't really know where to go. Advice would be welcome.
I'm afraid I've never really done much touristy stuff in Edinburgh. I haven't even managed to visit the Castle.

I know great places to drink very nice beer. I also know a lot of nice places for walking.

Any curbside drinking establishments you prefer? I like to people watch while drinking in new places. Send me some links for those walks if you have any.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby VazScep » Apr 30, 2017 7:14 pm

VazScep wrote:

Any curbside drinking establishments you prefer? I like to people watch while drinking in new places. Send me some links for those walks if you have any.
The Brewdog pub is probably the best bet. There's also a pub called 56 North which has curbside seating. It's mostly a gin bar (it has a stupid number of gins), but also serves a very nice rare pint of Brewdog's Elvis Juice.

The Water of Leith is a beautiful walk, which will take you from the Southwest part of the city, through the very nice area of Stockbridge, out through Inverleith, and ending up at the shore. It passes by the Modern Art gallery, the Royal Botanical gardens, and if you're here at the weekend, there are two farmers markets you can visit on route.

The Braids and Blackford hills have some very nice wooded walks, and, as far as I'm concerned, the view from Braids Hill Drive is the best view you can get in Edinburgh.

If you don't mind a bit of climbing, Holyrood Park is pretty central. It commands the Edinburgh skyline, so it's pretty tempting to walk the crags or head up Arthur's seat, but there's a lot of other walks you can do around the park, and you might try to end up near the Sheepheid Inn.
Last edited by VazScep on Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Excellent! Thank you. Can't wait to sample some Elvis Juice.

It will be the weekend so a farmers market would be cool. I'll work in one or two of those hikes as well depending on time.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Mazille » Apr 30, 2017 8:15 pm

I'll second the Water of Leith walk. Arthur's Seat has nice views, but when I was up there there were quite a lot of people.
Directly opposite of the comfort food restaurant is a nice pub, by the way.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#51  Postby jamest » Apr 30, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm guessing that London will be especially busy tomorrow (Monday), with it being a bank holiday. Maybe put your feet up in the hotel for 24 hours. ;)
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#52  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 30, 2017 11:16 pm

Unexpectedly found this while randomly wandering the neighborhood.

CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#53  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 30, 2017 11:23 pm

jamest wrote:I'm guessing that London will be especially busy tomorrow (Monday), with it being a bank holiday. Maybe put your feet up in the hotel for 24 hours. ;)

Well I will be working the rest of the time I'm here so hiding in my flat on my only full day off would be a missed opportunity.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby jamest » May 01, 2017 12:04 am

jamest wrote:I'm guessing that London will be especially busy tomorrow (Monday), with it being a bank holiday. Maybe put your feet up in the hotel for 24 hours. ;)

Well I will be working the rest of the time I'm here so hiding in my flat on my only full day off would be a missed opportunity.

Yeah, I was only acting the goat. Get out and soak in the atmosphere. I hope you enjoy. See as many places as you can, would be my advice. One thing I did particularly enjoy on my last visit about 9 months ago was a free guided walking tour. You just tip [if you want to] at your discretion. They don't even badger you much! You'll find various websites on google, maybe take a gander. No need to book, you just turn up at the specified time/place. :cheers:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 01, 2017 8:50 am

Mazille wrote:I'll second the Water of Leith walk. Arthur's Seat has nice views, but when I was up there there were quite a lot of people.
Directly opposite of the comfort food restaurant is a nice pub, by the way.

They must have cleaned up the Water of Leith. Arthur's Seat can be like Princess Street on a Saturday afternoon. Salisbury Crags tends to be quieter. Blackford Hill is handy having a car park up so high. That was my playground when I was a kid.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#56  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 01, 2017 9:47 am

From yesterday's aimless meandering. Wish I had brought a real camera.

Had dinner here...

I heard on the internet this place is cheeky...
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Some snaps I took while wandering around Edinburgh. Found lots of river walks along the Water of Leith...

CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 09, 2017 9:22 am

The Water of Leith and St. Bernard's Well. A well known lovers spot.

Did you know the church you see with the spire is not a church but an electricity sub-station. They made it look like a church to fit in with rest of architecture. Part of the most expensive area in Edinburgh.

Dean village was a social experiment.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#59  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Interesting. I did assume it was a Church. I like the fact that they try to preserve the look of old historic Edinburgh.

High Street and the Royal Mile was nice up to about 10:00 am, then it turned into Disneyland. I did the Holyrood park and Arthur's Seat hike which was very nice with the Gorse in full bloom.

Also met up with VazScep for some good brew and good conversation. :beer:
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 09, 2017 4:40 pm

That part of the city is not so old as it looks. It only dates from the late 19th century.
The gorse is lovely. Burns very easily.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion