Going to London and Edinburgh in May

Advice or meetups?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Going to London and Edinburgh in May

#61  Postby BlackBart » May 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Just had Haggis in Mums Great Comfort food. :awesome:

Thanks for the tip Mazille! :thumbup:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Mazille » May 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Right?
I had that there too. Delish.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#63  Postby BlackBart » May 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Now eating caek at Patisserie Valerie. I haz a happy tumbly. :awesome:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby BlackBart » May 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Mazille wrote:Right?
I had that there too. Delish.

Totally.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Ironclad » May 13, 2017 9:08 pm

CdesignProp', hope you made it back safe n well. :)
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Agrippina » May 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I love Edinburgh. My kids lived there for a year before we went to visit, so it was wonderful to have our own tour guides to take us to the best places to see. We spent two very memorable days walking and walking, unforgettable experience. I'd go again in a flash, except I'd find a place to stay in the city and just take it in, slowly. I also dislocated my shoulder when I fell on the cobbles, messing around doing a Monty Python silly walk. Love it. So I just ignore people who say they hate it.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#67  Postby BlackBart » May 14, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm currently having a blast here. I love the place. Sort of a cross between Krakov and Barcelona.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#68  Postby BlackBart » May 15, 2017 9:17 pm

I just had a cheese and bacon half pounder burger...in a donut! I love Edinburgh. :dopey:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby VazScep » May 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Let us know if you fancy a pint, Bart.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Mazille » May 16, 2017 12:21 am

BlackBart wrote:I just had a cheese and bacon half pounder burger...in a donut! I love Edinburgh. :dopey:

That I did notice. There seemed to be an above average amount of at least chubby people around. I spent a month in Scotland and loved every second, but I was damn glad to easily get vegetables and fruit with every meal again.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#71  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 16, 2017 1:34 am

Ironclad wrote:CdesignProp', hope you made it back safe n well. :)

I made it back safe. But I did bring back a souvenir virus :ill: Worth it though :D
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 16, 2017 1:36 am

BlackBart wrote:I just had a cheese and bacon half pounder burger...in a donut! I love Edinburgh. :dopey:

Wish I could have stayed longer. How long are you there for?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 16, 2017 6:48 am

Mazille wrote:

That I did notice. There seemed to be an above average amount of at least chubby people around. I spent a month in Scotland and loved every second, but I was damn glad to easily get vegetables and fruit with every meal again.

If that is the be all and end all is eating fast food well the city centre is the place. Try the pub food and have a real heart attack on a plate. The Edinburgh diet was never healthy. When I was a kid greengrocers sold cabbages in quarters.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Fallible » May 16, 2017 7:03 am

I can't imagine vegetables being a rare thing in someone's diet. Sometimes I hear people say they don't eat vegetables, and I always think 'what the hell do you eat then, and what must your insides be like?' My grandad had a varied working life. After he was a boxer, an army cook, a greyhound trainer and a chauffeur, he was a nurseryman. He worked till he was 80 and kept an extensive vegetable patch at his own home. Vegetables out the wazoo for me, and that never went away. 'I don't eat vegetables '? Bizarre. I also find it quite weird just how many people don't recognise vegetables other than the obvious ones, people who don't known what a courgette or aubergine or squash are. Really? Jesus.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 16, 2017 9:36 am

Distribution has improved everything these days. Back in the '50's and '60's there was a wholesale market in Market Street behind the Scotsman offices in Edinburgh. In winter time you would have seen some cabbages, swedes and potatoes for sale but there was not much else. Midlothian had good soil but I dont know where the vegetables went as we never saw them. Had plenty of tinned stuff though.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Agrippina » May 16, 2017 9:52 am

Fallible wrote:I can't imagine vegetables being a rare thing in someone's diet. Sometimes I hear people say they don't eat vegetables, and I always think 'what the hell do you eat then, and what must your insides be like?' My grandad had a varied working life. After he was a boxer, an army cook, a greyhound trainer and a chauffeur, he was a nurseryman. He worked till he was 80 and kept an extensive vegetable patch at his own home. Vegetables out the wazoo for me, and that never went away. 'I don't eat vegetables '? Bizarre. I also find it quite weird just how many people don't recognise vegetables other than the obvious ones, people who don't known what a courgette or aubergine or squash are. Really? Jesus.

My daughter-in-law has been vegan since before they lived in Edinburgh in 2008/9. She always found vegetables. They took us to the co-op store near our accommodation in Perth, and we did all the big shops in Edinburgh, finding amazing food, while I was still learning to eat without meat. That was where I learnt about Quorn products which are now a staple in my freezer, and I even ate vegetarian haggis. I must admit I'm not crazy about aubergines and courgettes. Getting vegetables and fruit isn't a problem here, so there's lots of variety.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#77  Postby solazy » May 16, 2017 10:25 am

Don't leave Scotland until you have tried the real delicacy shovelled down with chips and washed down with Irn Bru.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/unite ... -mars-bar/
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

#78  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 16, 2017 10:37 am

Agrippina wrote:
Fallible wrote:I can't imagine vegetables being a rare thing in someone's diet. Sometimes I hear people say they don't eat vegetables, and I always think 'what the hell do you eat then, and what must your insides be like?' My grandad had a varied working life. After he was a boxer, an army cook, a greyhound trainer and a chauffeur, he was a nurseryman. He worked till he was 80 and kept an extensive vegetable patch at his own home. Vegetables out the wazoo for me, and that never went away. 'I don't eat vegetables '? Bizarre. I also find it quite weird just how many people don't recognise vegetables other than the obvious ones, people who don't known what a courgette or aubergine or squash are. Really? Jesus.

My daughter-in-law has been vegan since before they lived in Edinburgh in 2008/9. She always found vegetables. They took us to the co-op store near our accommodation in Perth, and we did all the big shops in Edinburgh, finding amazing food, while I was still learning to eat without meat. That was where I learnt about Quorn products which are now a staple in my freezer, and I even ate vegetarian haggis. I must admit I'm not crazy about aubergines and courgettes. Getting vegetables and fruit isn't a problem here, so there's lots of variety.

2008 is modern times Aggie. In the 80's there was an improvement when the big supermarkets opened but before that the corner greengrocer was rubbish. I came here in the 60's and what was for sale here was amazing most of which I had never seen in my life.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 16, 2017 10:42 am

solazy wrote:Don't leave Scotland until you have tried the real delicacy shovelled down with chips and washed down with Irn Bru.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/unite ... -mars-bar/

Or a white pudding supper:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#80  Postby BlackBart » May 16, 2017 2:16 pm

The city centre is very cosmopolitan. You find anything from Vegan to Deep fried Mars Bars. I just love the bohemian with a Scottish accent vibe.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion