Laklak et al ...batten down the hatches

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Laklak et al ...batten down the hatches

#161  Postby laklak » Sep 12, 2017 4:28 am

All over, no damage to house or boats, praise be to Jebus. No power, but we've got generator to keep the food cold and fans running. I am so tired I can barely see, haven't had much in the way of sleep for the last 3 nights. Storm jogged to the north and east at the very last goddamn minute, sparing us a direct hit. Ended up a Cat 2 instead of a Cat 4. After seeing a Cat 2 from the inside I never, ever, ever, fucking EVER want to see anything stronger than that. I literally cannot imagine what a Cat 5 would be like - hell on earth, I guess.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#162  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 12, 2017 4:34 am

Oh frabjous day. Great to hear from you and that all's well considering. Excellent start to my day. Poseidon obviously digs on kippers, who'd have thunk it.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#163  Postby OlivierK » Sep 12, 2017 5:58 am

Great news, laklak. Worst we've ever had at our place wash about 12 hours of 90km/h (55mph) wind with occasional gusts of 120km (75mph). Fucking wore me out - both dealing with things beforehand (and a bit during when stuff got thrown about) but mainly I just found it mentally exhausting worrying about the odd noises the house was making and whether I'd screwed the roof down well enough. As far as actual cyclones/hurricanes go: no fucking thank you. Glad to hear you got through OK.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#164  Postby crank » Sep 12, 2017 7:37 am

monkeyboy wrote:Saw something similar at Key Largo. The weather report was saying basically beneath the hurricane there massive low pressure which sucks up water, hence the surge that can follow it's passing and the water returns, often with a vengeance.

Hope you guys are safe Lak and your home etc is one piece when you return. Iade an unintentional sacrifice to Poseidon earlier when I cremated the kippers I bought for my tea. Doubt it'll help much but I did spare a thought as I scrubbed the charred remains out of the grill pan.

First--Great news Lakak :clap:

Wanted to get that out of the way before addressing this natural disaster you brought up. 'kippers I bought for my tea'. I'm an unapologetic huge anglophile, but there are some things that just shouldn't be. I don't want to open up a can of worms here, but would it be that much worse than a can of oily fish? And with tea? Maybe with a large glass of straight whiskey ...uh .. make that a second large glass.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#165  Postby OlivierK » Sep 12, 2017 8:44 am

laklak wrote:I literally cannot imagine what a Cat 5 would be like - hell on earth, I guess.

There's a great exhibit in the museum in Darwin, Australia that attempts to give an insight it was like in the city when Cyclone Tracy (a cat 3 on the US scale) destroyed pretty much every building on Christmas Day in 1974. They've built a small room similar to the stairwell many people would have sheltered in, left it dark, and piped in a recording made by a journalist during the cyclone at realistic volume. It's pretty hard to spend 5 minutes in there, and you can leave when you want, but it's very effective at conveying how fucking scary it must have been.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Macdoc » Sep 12, 2017 8:57 am

congrats on an okay outcome under the circumstances...good to hear.

Missed that in the Darwin Museum ....was goggling at giant crocs I guess.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#167  Postby Agrippina » Sep 12, 2017 8:58 am

Good that you're safe Lak.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#168  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am

Yep. It is great you made it lak. :thumbup: :cheers:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Laklak et al ...batten down the hatches

#169  Postby felltoearth » Sep 12, 2017 10:56 am

Good stuff Lak. I hope you can get some sleep now. From my brother:

Well we weathered the storm and came out okay. Major tree damage. Some uprooted and others majorly shattered. Upon first inspection the house is intact and saw no major damage. I will need to inspect windows and frames and under the roof at later time. Thanking God for His deliverance and praying for others that are still under storm.

So all good, thank dog.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Evolving » Sep 12, 2017 11:08 am

Also my sister in law on Antigua is fine. José was only a tropical storm by the time it reached there. Barbuda is in a bad way, though (because of Irma, not José).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#171  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 12, 2017 1:57 pm

So glad to hear everyone here is ok.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#172  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 12, 2017 1:58 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
crank wrote:I saw something pretty cool I hadn't heard of before. It was a bunch of people out where the sea used to be, not sure where, if it was the gulf or atlantic or a bay. They were talking about how all the water that went into a storm surge had to come from somewhere and that's why right where they were, the sea had receded way offshore. It's like tsunamis, but I don't quite get how it works with a hurricane. A storm surge is winds blowing the surface water along so that it builds up down wind. It seems like what they were talking about should occur where the winds are offshore, I assume that must be what they're talking about.

I think that was Tampa Bay. Probably other places too, though.

It seems Pensacola Bay was experiencing the same phenomena. Irma sucked up all the water and dumped on the rest of Florida.

http://www.pnj.com/videos/weather/hurri ... 105518172/
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 12, 2017 2:12 pm

It happened in the Bahamas as well. Weird.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#174  Postby The_Piper » Sep 12, 2017 2:42 pm

I've never heard of that, fascinating.
ETA - what the hell is a kipper? Win it for the kipper?
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#175  Postby willhud9 » Sep 12, 2017 3:10 pm

My friend on St. John is alright, but she lost her house. Right now her work is doing clean up and the rescue so she is busy, but I can imagine it's rough for her. :(
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#176  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear this Will. It really is a difficult thing to go through. You just don't even know where to start.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#177  Postby crank » Sep 12, 2017 6:11 pm

The_Piper wrote:I've never heard of that, fascinating.
ETA - what the hell is a kipper? Win it for the kipper?

Think canned sardines in Britland. There's something about eating fish out of a can that doesn't do it for me. I assume at tea they must put them on crackers but they don'e have those there, not 'saltines',
they have things similar I think. What primitives those Brits!

Unless they throw the kippers in the tea?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#178  Postby Evolving » Sep 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Kippers are nothing like tinned sardines.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#179  Postby crank » Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

They're not fish in a can? I googled because I wasn't sure, I knew it was some kind of fish thing. I saw images like this

but more thorough googling >> oops. Turns out that was a red herring HAHAHAHAHA I've over-googled, TMI, anyways, it oiley headed gutted butterflied salted smoked pickled fish. Still just doesn't do for me.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#180  Postby Evolving » Sep 12, 2017 6:36 pm

I've never seen a kipper in a tin. A kipper, as I know it, is a smoked (not pickled) herring, yellow of hue, and served with butter for breakfast in Scotland, where the nearest fish is never further than a kilometre away.

I've spent the greater part of my life in southern Germany, where we certainly don't eat fish for breakfast, but I'm open to other cultures and their ways, and when I was in Scotland, I enjoyed their breakfast kippers very much indeed!
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion