Peanut Gallery - Formal Debate

Gay Marriage Should NOT Be Legalised in Society

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Who won the debate between Lion IRC & Crocodile Gandhi ?

Lion IRC won the debate, but I still disagree with his viewpoint
1%
Lion IRC won the debate and I continue to agree with his viewpoint
2%
Lion IRC won the debate and convinced me to alter my viewpoint on the issue
1%
Croc Gandhi won the debate, but I still disagree with his viewpoint
2%
Croc Gandhi won the debate and I continue to agree with his viewpoint
92%
Croc Gandhi won the debate and convinced me to alter my viewpoint on the issue
No votes
I cannot decide who won the debate
2%

Total votes : 98

Re: Peanut Gallery - Formal Debate

#41  Postby z8000783 » Apr 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Ah, I see the atheists are running scared already.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#42  Postby OlivierK » Apr 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Very sporting of you, Lion, to delay your posting until the Lord's day.

Especially when you risk being stoned to death for doing so (or would if we let the Bible drive our legislation).

Now what was it you will be arguing again? :whistle:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 15, 2012 1:37 am

Wasn't it that gay marriage will bring down society in every country that tries it except the ones that have and it didn't?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby james1v » Apr 15, 2012 1:46 am

If there's no god, why should society obey this gods law? It boils down to culture, which is just about the most dangerous thing for any free thinker to obey. Along with political/religious thinking/indoctrination. :think:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 15, 2012 1:48 am

Obeying gods law isn't dangerous?

Say what?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby james1v » Apr 15, 2012 1:54 am

Onyx8 wrote:Obeying gods law isn't dangerous?

Say what?

What god? There all dangerous to humanity, they are invented to be so, to "them".
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 15, 2012 2:06 am

I guess Croc and Lion will come at this from different sets of assumptions, but I'll be interested to see if they can inhabit each other's viewpoints and argue from there to their own positions. I haven't seen Croc arguing for this previously, so I don't know what to expect from him. I think Lion's methods of debate are often interesting, but I'm not convinced they don't end up committing him to the position he's trying to reject.

The breastmilk argument against homosexual parenting, for instance, seems to work off of a system of ethical optimization: breastmilk is meant to be the optimal choice. However, due to the finiteness of ideal family situations that can provide everything else, plus the breastmilk, the number of places that are this optimal is quite limited. If that's so, then the optimal place for at least some ("some" is putting it mildly) children is to be with parents who can provide everything but this extra optimizer. If that's further so, then the optimal situation for at least "some" is to be placed with same-sex parents who can provide everything but the further optimizer of the additional breastmilk. So, since Lion holds that refraining from optimization amounts to child abuse, then keeping these children from being adopted by gay parents amounts to child abuse.

Still, I do look forward to hearing your side of the debate, Lion. I have always found your views interesting, even where I've very strongly disagreed with them.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#48  Postby OlivierK » Apr 15, 2012 2:22 am

I really hope that the debate stays away from parenting completely, because it's totally irrelevant given that you don't need to be married to be a parent.

But I have a feeling Lion will take it there, repeatedly.

Where Lion will try hard to stay away from is the question of whether it's abusive to tell a child "you can't marry your soulmate like all your straight friends because you're gay", and whether it's harmful to have the force of the State legitimise that discrimination.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Spinozasgalt » Apr 15, 2012 2:27 am

OlivierK wrote:I really hope that the debate stays away from parenting completely, because it's totally irrelevant given that you don't need to be married to be a parent.

For now, I'm assuming it will. At least, if I thought it was going to be a theme of the debate, I probably wouldn't have brought it up. Too much risk of influencing the debate itself and giving one side some arguments to use against the other.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Godless Infidel » Apr 15, 2012 2:45 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:
OlivierK wrote:I really hope that the debate stays away from parenting completely, because it's totally irrelevant given that you don't need to be married to be a parent.

For now, I'm assuming it will. At least, if I thought it was going to be a theme of the debate, I probably wouldn't have brought it up. Too much risk of influencing the debate itself and giving one side some arguments to use against the other.

I was just wondering if reading this topic would lead to any re-writes.
"Let it be remembered that all churches have persecuted heretics to the extent of their power. Toleration has increased only when and where the power of the church has diminished"
-Robert Green Ingersoll 1874
Godless Infidel

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Lion IRC » Apr 15, 2012 5:02 am

Yes. It certainly would in my case.
Not every audience has the same cross-section. Some are more critical in specific areas.
I will be paying close attention to what gets posted in here for the duration of the debate.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#52  Postby Lion IRC » Apr 15, 2012 5:04 am

I'll be submitting my first post to Durro in 3 hours.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#53  Postby hackenslash » Apr 15, 2012 6:09 am

Lion IRC wrote:I will be paying close attention to what gets posted in here for the duration of the debate.

The I suggest to everybody that we restrict ourselves to indehiscent projectiles.

Incidentally, historically, the practice has been that participants in a formal debate are excluded from posting in the gallery. Has this been suspended for this débâcle?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby Lion IRC » Apr 15, 2012 6:29 am

False.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/forma ... t6927.html

Historically. LOL
This is the second formal debate this forum has held.

For what its worth, I wont be discussing anything substantive.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#55  Postby Durro » Apr 15, 2012 6:31 am

And we're off. I'm on my way from from the GAC in Melbourne, but coincidentally logged on from the airport as Lion IRC submitted his opening post. It's now up and available for your viewing.

Crocodile Gandhi is running a (half?) Marathon today, so i'm not sure if we'll see a prompt response, but he has 72 hours from now to reply under the debate rules.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Lion IRC » Apr 15, 2012 6:35 am

If the Moderator decides to limit content or keep me and Crocodile Ghandi out of the peanut gallery thread thats cool.

Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#57  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Apr 15, 2012 6:42 am

Ha! Nice picture, Lion.

I'm just dropping by to say that I did run a half marathon this morning and feel appropriately rooted. My first foray into the debate will likely occur tomorrow evening.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 15, 2012 6:45 am

From a debate perspective, that was a horrible opening.

It starts with a snide slam at the 'judges,' never a good start.

Then it raises my hopes with a clear bullet pointed list of arguments, only to dash them with a disjointed, rambling, series of one line statements that don't connect to each other or an overall argument.

I can get that we'll be arguing legalism=good (relevance?), gay=dysfunctional (ok, valid debate choice there), and some sort of pre-empt on philosophical grounds, which appear to be assigning fallacies to arguments that Croc hasn't made and is unlikely to make (what? why?). Then there's the truly weird bit at the end where it states that because god says so won't be a part of the debate, and then immediately proceeds to argue that we shouldn't question things when god says so.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Durro » Apr 15, 2012 6:47 am

Lion and Croc - I would prefer that you not try to let the debate spill over into the comments thread. It may be interpreted by some as a means to circumvent the word limit, and of course, would invite distractions and tangents from the main debate. You guys have a dedicated, uninterrupted forum to air your opinions, so it would be best to keep them there.

But you're welcome to discuss other, related issues here.
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby z8000783 » Apr 15, 2012 6:48 am

hackenslash wrote:
Lion IRC wrote:I will be paying close attention to what gets posted in here for the duration of the debate.

The I suggest to everybody that we restrict ourselves to indehiscent projectiles.

Incidentally, historically, the practice has been that participants in a formal debate are excluded from posting in the gallery. Has this been suspended for this débâcle?

I think that would be a good idea.

If it isn't done technically then perhaps the debaters could refrain from comment voluntarily. There will be ample opportunity for further discussion when the formal debate is finished.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion