Woman records 10 hours of harassment...

...while walking (modestly dressed) in the city.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Woman records 10 hours of harassment...

#121  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Oct 31, 2014 12:04 am

Sendraks wrote:
I've come into this discussion late, but I can see nothing about this women or her appearance that could be construed as intended to "manufacture harassment."

10 hours of a person walking around new York city and they are presenting mostly innocuous comments as harassment in a short YT presentation.

There was some harassment, no doubt, but 10 hours of footage and that is all they got? Lucky she (or anyone) wasn't mugged walking around New York City for ten hours.

It is a false presentation.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

Name: Jerome

United States (us)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Thommo » Oct 31, 2014 12:06 am

Maybe, but just as inclusion of false complaints makes their critique look weaker inclusion of spurious comments about her dress has a similar effect on yours.
Thommo

Print view this post

#123  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am

Spearthrower wrote:
However, the style of the shirt in the link is clearly not for a fat person to wear - the model wearing it looks more than comfortable in it. It's certainly not sexually provocative attire.

They sell things to fat people by using models that will make the fat person think they will look like the model in the product.

You ever see fat people drinking diet coke in diet coke ads?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » Oct 31, 2014 12:10 am

Thommo wrote:
Enjoy!

lol

:thumbup:
-Albert Camus
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 31, 2014 1:42 am

Sendraks wrote:Dear me there is some weird stuff going on with that gentleman's abdomen in the second image.

The first one appears to have had some of his muscle definition applied with make-up as well. I find his pecs strangly compelling though.

To much obliquing, I think.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#126  Postby johnbrandt » Oct 31, 2014 10:14 am

Am I the only one who wonders what went on in the rest of the ten hours we didn't see...?
I also wonder what would happen if a handsome muscly man walked down the street...
I mean, one of then instances is someone saying (off camera) "have a nice evening, darlin'". If that's sexual harassment, then I myself...sniff...am the victim of repeated harassment as the woman in the local post office repeatedly and in an unwanted way calls me (and every man actually) "darling", "sweetie", "honey", and other shameful terms. Not to mention I remember in Las Vegas some street vendor lady trying to hand out fliers for some show called me "sweetheart"...right in front of my wife!!

"Manufacture harassment"...good term.

Way back in the early nineties I remember reading an article by some noted feminist author who wanted to broaden the definition of "sexual harassment" to include almost any interaction between a man and a woman which wasn't initiated by the woman. the example she started the article with was a woman walking to work. She was wolf whistled at, then in the bus queue someone pinched her bum, then on the bus a man stood far too close to her, then as she entered the office some man complimented her on her new hairstyle. These were all "sexual" harassment.

Then again, some more radical feminists want the definition of "rape" expanded to include virtually anything as well, weakening and trivializing the actual meaning of what is a serious crime.

I'l say it...sometimes womens worst enemies are feminists... :? They trivialize what is actually a serious issue by "manufacturing harassment" and including trivial and flirtatious comments that are completely innocent.
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Rome Existed » Oct 31, 2014 10:24 am

Was there harassment in that vid? Yes, yes there was. The guy following her was creepy.

Did she include things as harassment that were just possibly people being polite? I'd say she did.

She ruined her own message, unless her message was, "Don't talk to women at all without permission."
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#128  Postby Nicko » Oct 31, 2014 10:35 am

johnbrandt wrote:Way back in the early nineties I remember reading an article by some noted feminist author who wanted to broaden the definition of "sexual harassment" to include almost any interaction between a man and a woman which wasn't initiated by the woman. the example she started the article with was a woman walking to work. She was wolf whistled at, then in the bus queue someone pinched her bum, then on the bus a man stood far too close to her, then as she entered the office some man complimented her on her new hairstyle. These were all "sexual" harassment.

I think the value of the video - such as it is - is to illustrate how the accumulation of minor incidents of unwanted attention, most of which do not objectively constitute harassment, can leave a person with a subjective impression of being harassed. Put another way, if a stranger's appearance is striking enough to make you want to push the bounds of propriety by attempting to kickstart a conversation with them out of the blue, you're probably not the first person to feel that way.

johnbrandt wrote:Then again, some more radical feminists want the definition of "rape" expanded to include virtually anything as well, weakening and trivializing the actual meaning of what is a serious crime.

I'l say it...sometimes womens worst enemies are feminists... :?

Here we fucking go again ...

I assume that you are talking about things like stare rape, rather than the acknowledgement that a person's unconsciousness does not constitute consent, or that someone can be raped by a person they previously had consensual sex with (like that's going to stop the shitstorm that's about to descend on this poor thread)?
Last edited by Nicko on Oct 31, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#129  Postby babel » Oct 31, 2014 10:36 am

johnbrandt wrote:
Way back in the early nineties I remember reading an article by some noted feminist author who wanted to broaden the definition of "sexual harassment" to include almost any interaction between a man and a woman which wasn't initiated by the woman. the example she started the article with was a woman walking to work. She was wolf whistled at, then in the bus queue someone pinched her bum, then on the bus a man stood far too close to her, then as she entered the office some man complimented her on her new hairstyle. These were all "sexual" harassment.
Those two underlined(and especially the former of the two) I consider definitely harassment. Why wouldn't it be? Keep your hands to yourself, unless it's clear that both of you are willing to go there.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Nicko » Oct 31, 2014 10:49 am

babel wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:
Those two underlined(and especially the former of the two) I consider definitely harassment. Why wouldn't it be? Keep your hands to yourself, unless it's clear that both of you are willing to go there.

I think JB's point was that the example of what any reasonable person would regard as harassment (technically assault) - the pinch - was being equated with activities that did not constitute harassment. If a woman actually experienced the first two on her trip to work, she may well experience a man merely standing close to her as too close and finally even a simple complement as part of a pattern.
Last edited by Nicko on Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#131  Postby babel » Oct 31, 2014 10:51 am

Nicko wrote:
babel wrote:
johnbrandt wrote:

I think JB's point was that the example of what any reasonable person would regard as harassment (technically assault) - the pinch - was being equated with activities that did not constitute harassment. If a woman actually experienced the first two on her trip to work, she may well experience a man standing close to her as too close and finally even a simple complement as part of a pattern.

Maybe, I don't think that was the point he was trying to make, but you could be right. :dunno:
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 12:13 pm

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
However, the style of the shirt in the link is clearly not for a fat person to wear - the model wearing it looks more than comfortable in it. It's certainly not sexually provocative attire.

They sell things to fat people by using models that will make the fat person think they will look like the model in the product.

You ever see fat people drinking diet coke in diet coke ads?

Yes, but this doesn't really follow with your previous contention, does it? ;)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 12:16 pm

johnbrandt wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what went on in the rest of the ten hours we didn't see...?

I expect a lot of walking, a break for lunch, some coffee, telephone calls from friends. Why, what did you have in mind?

johnbrandt wrote:I also wonder what would happen if a handsome muscly man walked down the street...

You don't seem able to finish your sentences...
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#134  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 31, 2014 12:44 pm

If it didn't happen for ten hours straight it's not a big deal....?
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#135  Postby NuclMan » Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

johnbrandt wrote:Am I the only one who wonders what went on in the rest of the ten hours we didn't see...?

Apparently. Maybe she put on a jacket to cover all the sexy bits and all of it stopped? :think:

I also wonder what would happen if a handsome muscly man walked down the street...
I mean, one of then instances is someone saying (off camera) "have a nice evening, darlin'". If that's sexual harassment, snip.

STREET harassment, there was no mention of sexual harassment in the video.

I'l say it...sometimes womens worst enemies are feminists... :? They trivialize what is actually a serious issue by "manufacturing harassment" and including trivial and flirtatious comments that are completely innocent.

Trees are blocking your view of the forest. The video establishes a pattern, unwanted and unnecessary interaction.

Consider if every verbal lure in that video was instead, someone asking for spare change?

"Dayum, you must have a quarter", "you don't wanna contribute?, I look to rich for you?"
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#136  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Apparently the director is now being accused of racism because he didn't show enough harassment by "white men." :roll:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/30/living/wo ... ?hpt=hp_t4
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Rome Existed » Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:Apparently the director is now being accused of racism because he didn't show enough harassment by "white men." :roll:

It's a good point.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Nicko » Oct 31, 2014 3:32 pm

NuclMan wrote:

Apparently. Maybe she put on a jacket to cover all the sexy bits and all of it stopped? :think:

All of what? This thread was billed as "10 hours of harassment", what was shown was slightly less than two minutes of footage. Seeing as how most of that two minutes consisted of interactions that could not be objectively* defined as harassment, perhaps this thread would be better entitled, "Woman Wanders the Streets of New York for 10 Hours and Runs Into a Couple of Arseholes".

Wow.

* Again, the value of this video is an insight into this woman's subjective experience.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Nicko » Oct 31, 2014 3:34 pm

Rome Existed wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:Apparently the director is now being accused of racism because he didn't show enough harassment by "white men." :roll:

It's a good point.

It's fucking hilarious is what it is.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 31, 2014 3:36 pm

I think this provides an example of just how ridiculous these kind of things can so easily become. See a+theism for parallels.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion