Tony Robbins

What do you skeptics think?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tony Robbins

#241  Postby DuDot » Dec 25, 2016 3:49 am

I didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread, but if I understand EasterRat's post from just above, there are only 2 people that are pro-Tony and the rest are anti-Tony.

All I can say is that I've used Tony's stuff for 20+ years and my life if much better for it. I spent about $500 at for Unleash the Power seminar in 2005. It was very useful and well worth the four days and $500. However, I've gotten much more out of his CDs. I've referred back to them many times over the years and they've been invaluable.

On page one someone said something like his stuff boils down to "get off your ass and do something", which is very true. He's obviously not the only one to say that, but his methods can make you more effective if you follow them. But it is more than just that.

However, you can't do any of his stuff just once and expect it to last a lifetime. Just like anything else in life, excellence will only come with repetition. If you looking for a 4 day fix or a 30 day fix with nothing more to do, then that's all you'll get.

I just went to Date with Destiny 2016. I didn't watch 'I Am Not Your Guru' until after, and I've only watched about 1/2 of it. The experience of being there is 1000+ more powerful and more in depth than what you see in the documentary. It's an amazing experience that you can only understand by being there. There's nothing fake about what it's in that documentary.

Some of my results from using his stuff - I got over an eating disorder, I quit my full time job an became the US National Champion in a sport I was passionate about, and now I make very good money in another career that is truly my passion.

Some of the criticisms I saw in the first couple pages were from people who don't understand what Tony is all about and/or aren't open to alternative points of view. If you want to be skeptical then don't try it. If you're open and willing to spend $200-$300 on a CD program or $700 on Unleash The Power, or even more on Date With Destiny, then give it a shot. If you really go for it's very unlikely you'll be disappointed. My life is much better because I was willing to give something different a try.

PS - EasterRat, based on what I saw in your post you are a lot like me. Very analytical, intelligent, and always looking for opposing points of view. That's exactly what I do. You even liked the bleepin' documentary. I think all your analysis has led you to the wrong conclusion. If you happen to change your mind you'll probably get a longer term benefit out of the CDs than you would an Unleash The Power event, but both are worth the time and money.
DuDot

Print view this post

#242  Postby minininja » Dec 25, 2016 9:28 am

:lol: Why is it always their first post? Robbins really has got them all out proselytising hasn't he?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 25, 2016 9:50 am

Pure advertising.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#244  Postby DuDot » Dec 25, 2016 12:17 pm

Why are you guys so skeptical? Is it that hard to believe that someone got great value from using his stuff, or is that an impossibility?
DuDot

Print view this post

#245  Postby Fallible » Dec 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Ah, 'great value'. I suppose it comes down to what we each think is a good return for hundreds if not thousands of dollars, taking into consideration what you can work out all by yourself without spending a penny.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 25, 2016 1:12 pm

Hey DuDot what is your cut from this con.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#247  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Tony Robbins is a placebo in a suit. Personally, I found it hard to swallow. But, that's the point isn't it? Motivational speakers are tiny skirts on cheerleaders, fluffy pom poms and meaningless words that sound good together. It all boils down to "belief." If one believes it will work, then it will work to some good effect.

Spoiler alert, even if you "don't believe," Tinkerbell still wakes up and flies away in the end.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#248  Postby BlackBart » Dec 25, 2016 5:28 pm

DuDot wrote:Why are you guys so skeptical?

Because we require evidence. That's the meaning of scepticism.

Is it that hard to believe that someone got great value from using his stuff

Belief without evidence is merely blind faith. I'm sure this Robbins individual doesn't advocate blind faith. Does he?

or is that an impossibility?

Of course it isn't. All you need to do is provide evidence. Surely these Robbins enthusiasts would be more than happy to provide data on what they've 'achieved' compared the general population?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#249  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 26, 2016 4:08 am

Particularly compared to those who, prior to the commencing of his thread, literally had no idea the man even existed let alone the, let's be honest here, not particularly original ideas he sells. It's a glitzy, CBT change package with whistles and bells attached to make it look a bit more appealing to the masses is all. Same as any thinking based therapy, unless you buy into it, it doesn't work. You buy into different thinking styles and you could change how you do things.

His bollocks works a bit like expensive gym membership does for some people. They go to this gym because otherwise it's a waste of their money. Other gyms could achieve the same results for a lot less. The exercise could even be done for free outside of a gym. The key factor is whether the individual buys into the idea of exercising and changes their lifestyle accordingly.

In both cases, they get your money up front regardless of what you do so they really don't care if you become successful or get that six pack, they're laughing all the way to the bank.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#250  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 26, 2016 7:59 pm

DuDot wrote:Why are you guys so skeptical?

Didn't read the forum title, then?

Is it that hard to believe that someone got great value from using his stuff, or is that an impossibility?

It's definitely hard to believe that you became a US National sport champion and now just happen to stumble across this thread :lol: Nothing's impossible, but many things are very unlikely. Better work on a more believable story for next time you try to shill for Robbins.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby monkeyboy » Dec 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Tiddlywinks is a sport now?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#252  Postby DuDot » Dec 27, 2016 1:14 am

Tony Robbins material worked for me. If you don't believe that's fine with me.

Most of the people who responded to me didn't provide a meaningful response, but Blackbart did.

Wanting evidence is totally reasonable. However, I can't think of any seminars or self-help programs that provide provable evidence of their effectiveness. I'm sure they exist, I just can't think of any right now, unless it's related to something very concrete, like learning a foreign language in x amount of time (eg. 60% of program followers passed x test).

I had some faith when I purchased Personal Power back in 1990 for $200 that it could work for me. It was fantastic for me, so it was much easier for me to invest in other Tony products and seminars. I didn't need a scientific study to continue down this path. However, all of his stuff has some type of money back guarantee, so if you try it and don't like it just get your money back.

I actually stumbled across this forum because my fater-in-law was a little skeptical of Tony after watching "I'm Not Your Guru". Like the poster I responded to, I often seek out contradictory info on things that I believe in or am considering accepting as useful. The last time I did this on Tony was after going to Unleash The Power Within many years ago. At that time I didn't find any meaningful critiques of him. After my father-in-laws skepticism, I decided to look again. I didn't find anything meaningful this time either. I decided to respond because I thought this thread was lacking in meaningful feedback.

If you go back and look at the original poster's question, he was looking for peoples experiences/thoughts on Tony. I provided my experience. Take it for what it's worth to you.
DuDot

Print view this post

#253  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 27, 2016 1:31 am

I will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#254  Postby twistor59 » Dec 28, 2016 9:30 am

I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm sure someone else has made this mistake - but I was wondering what must have caused Baldrick to switch to doing motivational programmes......then I realised.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#255  Postby BlackBart » Dec 29, 2016 3:33 pm

DuDot wrote:Tony Robbins material worked for me. If you don't believe that's fine with me.

Most of the people who responded to me didn't provide a meaningful response, but Blackbart did.

Wanting evidence is totally reasonable. However, I can't think of any seminars or self-help programs that provide provable evidence of their effectiveness. I'm sure they exist, I just can't think of any right now, unless it's related to something very concrete, like learning a foreign language in x amount of time (eg. 60% of program followers passed x test).

Hmm... So as I mentioned in my last post...

Surely these Robbins enthusiasts would be more than happy to provide data on what they've 'achieved' compared the general population?

There's nothing like that? I'm wondering why that is. Why do we get a steady drip-drip of Robbins groupies on this thread that can't show us what they've actually achieved since spending a large wad of cash on his seminars? We just get nebulous 'It worked for me' personal anecdotes.

It doesn't really sell it does it?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#256  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 29, 2016 3:46 pm

BlackBart wrote:
There's nothing like that? I'm wondering why that is. Why do we get a steady drip-drip of Robbins groupies on this thread that can't show us what they've actually achieved since spending a large wad of cash on his seminars? We just get nebulous 'It worked for me' personal anecdotes.

Um, yeah it does sell to the uncritical thinker.

I agree with you, but just out of curiosity, have you ever felt that critical thinking has kind of gotten in your way? It kinda mucks up ones ability to find bliss, if the old adage is true, "ignorance is bliss." No sarcasm or snarkiness intended. I'm genuinely interested. I know that I personally have had moments where I sincerely wished I could believe in god. I have heard this expressed by other atheists too. Just a fleeting thought that arises from time to time... more a recognition that reality is sometimes harder than make-believe. :dunno: Then, I just realize that "their ignorance mucks up the bliss for those who aren't." :lol:

Just a comment... don't read anything into it, please. Just a personal reflection and a curiosity if you or others here might feel the same way sometimes.
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#257  Postby BlackBart » Dec 29, 2016 4:24 pm

PensivePenny wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Um, yeah it does sell to the uncritical thinker.

I agree with you, but just out of curiosity, have you ever felt that critical thinking has kind of gotten in your way? It kinda mucks up ones ability to find bliss, if the old adage is true, "ignorance is bliss." No sarcasm or snarkiness intended. I'm genuinely interested. I know that I personally have had moments where I sincerely wished I could believe in god. I have heard this expressed by other atheists too. Just a fleeting thought that arises from time to time... more a recognition that reality is sometimes harder than make-believe. :dunno: Then, I just realize that "their ignorance mucks up the bliss for those who aren't." :lol:

Just a comment... don't read anything into it, please. Just a personal reflection and a curiosity if you or others here might feel the same way sometimes.

No. Critical thinking has never got in my way at all. If anthing my fuck ups in life have often been down to non critical thinking. No sarcasm takn :)
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#258  Postby PensivePenny » Dec 29, 2016 4:38 pm

Cool :thumbup:

You know how things blow up in these threads due to misunderstanding ;) :dunno:
PensivePenny

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#259  Postby DuDot » Dec 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Surely these Robbins enthusiasts would be more than happy to provide data on what they've 'achieved' compared the general population

I gave specific examples of how it helped me and I wasn't the only person on this thread to do so.
DuDot

Print view this post

#260  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Scientifically assessed and judged? Anecdotal evidence is not much appreciated around here especially when there is money involved.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking