Evidence and Faith

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Evidence and Faith

#121  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:22 am

Shrunk wrote:
Armageddo wrote: Deliberately misleading example of what I mean. I'll explain it for you in a simpler way. When one says "seeing is believing", what they are saying is that when they see something which matches their PREconceived idea (belief), naturally, their PREconceived idea (belief) is confirmed. Confirmed to them, personally.

Yeah, and when someone believes all birds are ducks, then when they see a bird, even of a different species, it is "confirmed to them, personally" that they are seeing a duck. I understood you perfectly. Better than you seem you have understood yourself, to be honest.

Strawman.

We're not talking about birds and ducks, we're talking about a cycle of preconceived belief and what we call evidence. Do try and keep up.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#122  Postby josephchoi » Mar 23, 2010 1:43 am

Armageddo wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Armageddo wrote: Deliberately misleading example of what I mean. I'll explain it for you in a simpler way. When one says "seeing is believing", what they are saying is that when they see something which matches their PREconceived idea (belief), naturally, their PREconceived idea (belief) is confirmed. Confirmed to them, personally.

Yeah, and when someone believes all birds are ducks, then when they see a bird, even of a different species, it is "confirmed to them, personally" that they are seeing a duck. I understood you perfectly. Better than you seem you have understood yourself, to be honest.

Strawman.

We're not talking about birds and ducks, we're talking about a cycle of preconceived belief and what we call evidence. Do try and keep up.

It's an analogy. DO try to keep up.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#123  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:45 am

josephchoi wrote:
Armageddo wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Strawman.

It's a strawman. You're trying to twist the topic and turn it into something which is irrelevant and incomparable to what is actually being discussed.
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#124  Postby josephchoi » Mar 23, 2010 1:52 am

Armageddo wrote:
josephchoi wrote:
Armageddo wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Strawman.

It's a strawman. You're trying to twist the topic and turn it into something which is irrelevant and incomparable to what is actually being discussed.

Do you even know what a strawman is? :nono:
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#125  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:54 am

Yes. And you do too, don't you? Unless you do it without thinking. Then again I suspect that's how it is. :whistle:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#126  Postby josephchoi » Mar 23, 2010 1:55 am

Armageddo wrote:Yes. And you do too, don't you? Unless you do it without thinking. Then again I suspect that's how it is. :whistle:

josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#127  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 1:57 am

josephchoi wrote:
Armageddo wrote:Yes. And you do too, don't you? Unless you do it without thinking. Then again I suspect that's how it is. :whistle:

Yawn. Getting tough for you, is it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#128  Postby josephchoi » Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Armageddo wrote:
josephchoi wrote:

josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby Armageddo » Mar 23, 2010 2:00 am

josephchoi wrote:
Armageddo wrote:
josephchoi wrote:

:drunk: :whine:
Armageddo
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#130  Postby Mr P » Mar 23, 2010 2:01 am

You're wasting your time with this one, he/she's already managed to get one thread locked.
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
Mr P

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#131  Postby DanDare » Mar 23, 2010 4:32 am

Seeing is believing - I withhold belief until I see evidence, at which point I accept the evidence.
Believing is seeing - I believe, and therefore only see evidence for my belief and do not see evidence that contradicts my belief.
Strawman - Setting up a weak caricature of a proposition and then arguing against that weak caricature, claiming victory as victory over the original proposition.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Teuton » Mar 23, 2010 4:54 am

rezling wrote:Evidence only gives us a certain level of information. We still have to frame an interpretation based on the evidence; and then we have to decide whether we believe our interpretation to be true.

Yes, the problem with the declaration "I believe nothing unless there is evidence for it" is that the evidence itself is something one believes, and one normally doesn't demand that there be evidence for the evidence. And if one did, one would face an infinite regress.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Teuton » Mar 23, 2010 4:59 am

Calilasseia wrote:
Also, atheism is NOT a "faith based system", because atheism rejects the idea that faith itself constitutes a valid means of obtaining substantive knowledge about the world.

Don't we atheists have faith in the absence of sound arguments for the existence of God or other gods?
Or do we know that there are no such arguments?
Or do we just believe to know that there are no such arguments?
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Teuton » Mar 23, 2010 5:07 am

Byron wrote:
Possible, although I prefer to think that Prof. Lennox has a different definition of "faith", namely, belief that goes beyond the available evidence, rather than belief without evidence.

What Lennox presumably means by "goes beyond the available evidence" is "goes beyond what is warranted by the available, observationally or experimentally ascertained empirical data".
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Teuton » Mar 23, 2010 5:14 am

For the concept of evidence see:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/evidence
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Teuton » Mar 23, 2010 5:23 am

We should distinguish between:

1. belief that is knowledge

2. rational and logical belief that falls short of knowledge
2.1 rational and logical belief that falls short of knowledge and is revised by the one holding it in case scientific counterevidence appears

3. irrational and illogical belief that falls short of knowledge
3.1 irrational and illogical belief that falls short of knowledge and is not revised by the one holding in case scientific counterevidence appears
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Animavore » Mar 23, 2010 9:42 am

z8000783 wrote:
Animavore wrote:I don't get that. When you see something you believe it.

And therein lies the difficulty with much of science and many of our personal beliefs, we don't actually get the opportunity to "see it". However that doesn't necessarily stop us forming a conclusion based on the evidence we do have.

To be honest I was just giving an example of why "seeing is believing" and "believing is seeing" are different. I know all of what you typed already. Please don't patronise me.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#138  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Teuton wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
Also, atheism is NOT a "faith based system", because atheism rejects the idea that faith itself constitutes a valid means of obtaining substantive knowledge about the world.

Don't we atheists have faith in the absence of sound arguments for the existence of God or other gods?

Or do we know that no sound argument has ever been presented for the existence of any such deity? ;)
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#139  Postby DanDare » Mar 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Teuton wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

No, we just have not been presented with sound arguments for the existence of God or other gods. It could happen tomorrow. I don't think it is likely but I don't have faith that it won't happen, just risk assessment.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby DanDare » Mar 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Snap hack!
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight