Evidence and Faith

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Evidence and Faith

#141  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

What got Armageddo banned?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#142  Postby josephchoi » Mar 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Shrunk wrote:What got Armageddo banned?

Him admitting to be trowbridge and admitting to be a troll.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#143  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 5:43 pm

DanDare wrote:Seeing is believing - I withhold belief until I see evidence, at which point I accept the evidence.
Believing is seeing - I believe, and therefore only see evidence for my belief and do not see evidence that contradicts my belief.
Strawman - Setting up a weak caricature of a proposition and then arguing against that weak caricature, claiming victory as victory over the original proposition.

Faith, however, is consciously and knowingly making the choice to believe, in the absence of what would be regarded by most people as evidence. For example I believe that there's a creator, and I justify that by saying that what I see is the symptom of a creator. It can't be proven and it can't be disproven.

If it were ever disproven, I'd immediate stop believing and have a rethink. But unless that happens I'll continue believing. An atheist witholds belief in the absence of evidence, and a theist witholds disbelief in the absence of god being disproven.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#144  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2010 5:55 pm

maynard wrote: If it were ever disproven, I'd immediate stop believing and have a rethink. But unless that happens I'll continue believing. An atheist witholds belief in the absence of evidence, and a theist witholds disbelief in the absence of god being disproven.

The difference being one of consistency. The atheist can withold belief in the existence of all entities for which there is no evidence, not just God. The theist, OTOH, will specially privilege the idea of God by believing in it without evidence, while failing to do so for any of the other entities which also have no evidence to support their existence.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Nocterro » Mar 23, 2010 5:57 pm

maynard wrote:
Faith, however, is consciously and knowingly making the choice to believe, in the absence of what would be regarded by most people as evidence. For example I believe that there's a creator, and I justify that by saying that what I see is the symptom of a creator. It can't be proven and it can't be disproven.

If it were ever disproven, I'd immediate stop believing and have a rethink. But unless that happens I'll continue believing. An atheist witholds belief in the absence of evidence, and a theist witholds disbelief in the absence of god being disproven.

Incorrect. To quote myself on page 2 of this very thread:

Nocterro wrote:

"Faith" as it is understood in Christianity comes from the greek pistis, which is translated as "to trust, to have confidence, faithfulness, to be reliable, to assure[1]". One can place value on evidence and still have faith. They are not mutually exclusive.

I think what you mean to critique is Fideism; which is "the name given to that school of thought—to which Tertullian himself is frequently said to have subscribed—which answers that faith is in some sense independent of, if not outright adversarial toward, reason.[2] " Note that fideism is not exclusive to religion.

[1] Thomas, Robert L.; Editor, General (1981). New American standard exhaustive concordance of the Bible :. Nashville, Tenn.: A.J. Holman. pp. 1674–75.
[2] http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fideism/
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#146  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Shrunk wrote:
maynard wrote: If it were ever disproven, I'd immediate stop believing and have a rethink. But unless that happens I'll continue believing. An atheist witholds belief in the absence of evidence, and a theist witholds disbelief in the absence of god being disproven.

The difference being one of consistency. The atheist can withold belief in the existence of all entities for which there is no evidence, not just God. The theist, OTOH, will specially privilege the idea of God by believing in it without evidence, while failing to do so for any of the other entities which also have no evidence to support their existence.

I agree. That's what we do. It's because we want to specifically believe in god. You may not want to do that so you don't justify god, but I do. I want there to be a god. But god can't be disproven. If god is ever disproven, I'll have a rethink, but that will (probably) never ever happen. In theory, god can exist, and seeing as I want there to be a god, that's more than good enough for me. It's a question of choice, and faith.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#147  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 6:11 pm

maynard wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I agree. That's what we do. It's because we want to specifically believe in god. You may not want to do that so you don't justify god, but I do. I want there to be a god. But god can't be disproven. If god is ever disproven, I'll have a rethink, but that will (probably) never ever happen. In theory, god can exist, and seeing as I want there to be a god, that's more than good enough for me. It's a question of choice, and faith.

That's interesting.

What stops you following the same process for the other 7356 things it would also be nice to believe in but you have no evidence for?

Do you have a way of deciding what things to believe in and what not to?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#148  Postby dinkum » Mar 23, 2010 6:14 pm

z8000783 wrote:Do you have a way of deciding what things to believe in and what not to?

I've got a nickel on local custom.
dinkum

Male

Print view this post

#149  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 6:16 pm

z8000783 wrote:
maynard wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

That's interesting.

What stops you following the same process for the other 7356 things it would also be nice to believe in but you have no evidence for?

John

Yes, I do have a way. I want there to be god, so I believe in god. I don't want there to be flying spaghetti monsters, so I don't believe in them. But I'd never rule out completely something that hasn't been disproved. I would just act as though it doesn't, and disregard it. With god, I act as though he exists.

I believe that god is necessary, and seeing as it's logically impossible for something to be necessary and non existent, that's way more than good enough for me, I'm satisfied with that.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#150  Postby Nocterro » Mar 23, 2010 6:20 pm

manyard wrote:I agree. That's what we do. It's because we want to specifically believe in god. You may not want to do that so you don't justify god, but I do. I want there to be a god. But god can't be disproven. If god is ever disproven, I'll have a rethink, but that will (probably) never ever happen. In theory, god can exist, and seeing as I want there to be a god, that's more than good enough for me. It's a question of choice, and faith.

Belief isn't really a choice. To quote Swinburne:

Richard Swinburne wrote:Belief is a passive state; believing is a state in which you are, it is not a matter of you doing something. And it is an involuntary state, a state in which you find yourself and which you cannot change at will at an instant.[...]We believe our beliefs because we know that we do not choose them but because (if we think about it) we believe that they are forced upon us by the outside world. But, although we cannot alter our beliefs just like that, what we can do is to take steps to alter them over a period of time...
[Swinburne, Epistemic Justification, pg. 39-40]
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#151  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Nocterro wrote:
manyard wrote:I agree. That's what we do. It's because we want to specifically believe in god. You may not want to do that so you don't justify god, but I do. I want there to be a god. But god can't be disproven. If god is ever disproven, I'll have a rethink, but that will (probably) never ever happen. In theory, god can exist, and seeing as I want there to be a god, that's more than good enough for me. It's a question of choice, and faith.

Richard Swinburne wrote:Belief is a passive state; believing is a state in which you are, it is not a matter of you doing something. And it is an involuntary state, a state in which you find yourself and which you cannot change at will at an instant.[...]We believe our beliefs because we know that we do not choose them but because (if we think about it) we believe that they are forced upon us by the outside world. But, although we cannot alter our beliefs just like that, what we can do is to take steps to alter them over a period of time...

Perhaps you're right, I'm not very well versed. I just call it as I see it.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#152  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 6:27 pm

maynard wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
maynard wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

That's interesting.

John

Yes, I do have a way. I want there to be god, so I believe in god. I don't want there to be flying spaghetti monsters, so I don't believe in them. But I'd never rule out completely something that hasn't been disproved. I would just act as though it doesn't, and disregard it. With god, I act as though he exists.

Are there any other things you want to believe in so you do, besides God?

Are there any things you would like to believe in but don't, for some reason?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#153  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Nothing that comes to mind.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#154  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Nocterro wrote:

What does he suggest is the shortest time in which someone could change their beliefs?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#155  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 6:35 pm

maynard wrote:Nothing that comes to mind.

So in all other aspects of your life you believe the things you believe because there is some basis for it and you don't believe things when there is no basis for it, but in the case of probably one of the most important things that affects our lives in significant ways, you believe that purely on the basis of wanting to?

I don't mean to put words in your mouth so if that is inaccurate then please do correct it.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#156  Postby Nocterro » Mar 23, 2010 6:41 pm

z8000783 wrote:
What does he suggest is the shortest time in which someone could change their beliefs?
John

That would most likely vary greatly depending on:
1) The belief in question, and how strongly it is held
2) The person holding the belief(and the general situation he is in)
3) What information is available
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#157  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Nocterro wrote:
z8000783 wrote:
John

That would most likely vary greatly depending on:
1) The belief in question, and how strongly it is held
2) The person holding the belief(and the general situation he is in)
3) What information is available

He says -
Richard Swinburne wrote:...we cannot alter our beliefs just like that...

Richard Swinburne wrote:...alter them over a period of time...

Just wondering if we are talking seconds and minutes or months and years?

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Nocterro » Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Again, it would vary greatly depending on the criteria I listed above.

You might change your belief that "My mother had salad for lunch" in a few seconds, upon seeing a McDonald's cheeseburger wrapper in her trash.

Might take months, or even years (and quite a bit of study), for you to change a belief such as "God exists".
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#159  Postby z8000783 » Mar 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Nocterro wrote:Again, it would vary greatly depending on the criteria I listed above.

You might change your belief that "My mother had salad for lunch" in a few seconds, upon seeing a McDonald's cheeseburger wrapper in her trash.

Might take months, or even years (and quite a bit of study), for you to change a belief such as "God exists".

So there are some belief then, that we can alter "just like that" is seems.

John
z8000783

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#160  Postby maynard » Mar 23, 2010 10:33 pm

z8000783 wrote:
maynard wrote:Nothing that comes to mind.

So in all other aspects of your life you believe the things you believe because there is some basis for it and you don't believe things when there is no basis for it, but in the case of probably one of the most important things that affects our lives in significant ways, you believe that purely on the basis of wanting to?

I don't mean to put words in your mouth so if that is inaccurate then please do correct it.

John

You're gtting there. Basically I believe whatever I like. I'll give you some examples.

I believe that either there was a big bang, in which case, god made it happen, or, that the physical universe has always existed. I'm fine with both possibilities. I believe that there are an infinite number of dimensions and alternative universes, I believe in ghosts, telepathy, the illuminati and new world order, the photon belt and the age of aquarius, I believe in many things. I'm completely honest with myself about what feels right to me. It's extremely liberating. I don't tie myself down to anything and I literally pick and choose, and change my mind if I feel diffrently about something.
maynard
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism