Maybe there is a god

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Maybe there is a god

#121  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

Depends on what you mean by "all". Do you mean, "Is it possible there exists some sort of pure Deist god, a being that sets it all in motion, imbeds it with certain guiding principles and let's it go?" Do you mean, "There could be something beyond the universe but we have zero idea what it is and there's no way to know one way or the other but let's not make stuff up"? I wouldn't say its impossible. I'd say I think there's a low chance but I wouldn't say no chance. As Dawkins mentioned, you could probably make a reasonably respectable philosophical argument for such a concept. I might not agree. I might say there's no way to know. But I wouldn't consider it patently ridiculous.

But let's say instead we are talking about Indra on his elephant or Thor with his hammer (disclaimer: Thor is cool even if he doesn't exist) or Yahweh and the absolute comedy routine that literal belief in him is. Well, let's just say I believe the odds that Yahweh exists are exactly the same as the odds that Thor, Indra and Zeus exists or the FSM or the Invisible Pink Unicorn. Its ridiculous. But hey, it could be true and maybe Santa is too.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#122  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 28, 2010 6:57 pm

generalsemanticist wrote:What if God created all the "evidence" we use in all our science just to give us something to do? And at the same time he made sure there was no evidence of his existence? But of course we will never know this unless God allowed us to discover him and so until that happens we're just stuck dealing with the "evidence".

Then he would be a god that most people wouldn't bother believing in to begin with. He would also be the god of "Let''s just make stuff up."
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#123  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:
Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

Depends on what you mean by "all". Do you mean, "Is it possible there exists some sort of pure Deist god, a being that sets it all in motion, imbeds it with certain guiding principles and let's it go?" Do you mean, "There could be something beyond the universe but we have zero idea what it is and there's no way to know one way or the other but let's not make stuff up"? I wouldn't say its impossible. I'd say I think there's a low chance but I wouldn't say no chance. As Dawkins mentioned, you could probably make a reasonably respectable philosophical argument for such a concept. I might not agree. I might say there's no way to know. But I wouldn't consider it patently ridiculous.

But let's say instead we are talking about Indra on his elephant or Thor with his hammer (disclaimer: Thor is cool even if he doesn't exist) or Yahweh and the absolute comedy routine that literal belief in him is. Well, let's just say I believe the odds that Yahweh exists are exactly the same as the odds that Thor, Indra and Zeus exists or the FSM or the Invisible Pink Unicorn. Its ridiculous. But hey, it could be true and maybe Santa is too.

Valid points for sure. But it doesn't hurt to question everything. It's only natural to wonder if somewhere along the lines we've made assumptions that have taken us in one direction, when other assumptions would have taken us in another. Like chinese whispers.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#124  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Karljett wrote:
But there's more to human experience than thought. We have intuition. What I'm saying is, just maybe, god does exist, and theists are capable of "perceiving" god, by what some of them call "a knowing" or intuition.

I am assuming that among the many definitions in philosophy and psychology you are using the one mostly identified with spirituality, which is a form of having some form of higher consciousness that does not rely on the senses for gaining knowledge. The existence of this faculty has no evidentiary support except for some paranormal experiments that are in doubt because when repeated by unbiased researches the same results are not found.

A psychological definition of intuition does have evidentiary support. It is that the appearance of intuition is found when quick decisions have to be made and more of a pattern matching operation occurs rather than conscious consideration. Studies have shown that where “intuition” is involved that previous experiences of the same sorts of situations count towards accuracy.

So assuming that people in fact have intuition that does not rely on the senses is not correct.

Karljett wrote:
I mean, if god exists and if god is everywhere, I can't see why it would create a universe only to present itself in an obvious way for everyone to see. Think of it like this. There's life, and we're living it. Why would god pop out to say hello?

But according to many sacred texts, religious books, and people God does pop in to say, “Hello.” He/She/It is very selective about when and to whom though.

I think a better question would be if there is a God why would it hide itself and create all this confusion about what God is and what God wants?

Karljett wrote:
Wouldn't that be a bit like existence saying hello, here I am, I'm real? We know it exists and we (for want of a better term) interact with it or within in. It's obvious that there's logic, and we just get on with it. What if god is exactly like that, with no need to communicate with us as if it is a person, like us?

Same question applies: Why create all this confusion? I know many theologians and clergy will answer that it is part of God’s master plan that people have faith in God, faith is a virtue that will get people into heaven, but with so many peoples’ faith being inspired by others that supposedly have had personal chats with God why isn’t the story the same for everyone. It seems to me that If God exists and reveals itself to a select few with “intuition” that then spread the word then God must be intentionally causing mass confusion.

A better explanation than “intuition” and personal experience would be that people simply invent the god that they want convince themselves that it is real and then talk others into believing in it also.

Karljett wrote:
If "who created god" is an acceptable hypothetical question for an atheist, then it's fair to ask "if there's a god, why would it need to present itself in such a way?"

Questions are not hypothetical, proposed explanations are, and it is fair to ask pretty much any question you want. And by most all definitions of God if there is a God it can do anything it wants, and there would be no need for God to present itself, but if there is no God then it makes more sense to me as to why it does not present itself in some way that verifies it‘s existence to all. It can’t because it not real.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#125  Postby Poirot » Mar 28, 2010 9:51 pm

As an agnostic the jury's out for me. I wouldn't expect god to reveal himself though, I just haven't seen anything to convince me, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.
Poirot
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#126  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Karljett wrote:All I'm really saying is that we could very well be wrong.

Indeed we could. When someone comes up with a good reason for explaining why we're wrong, I'll certainly give it a fair hearing. But the ball is in the believer's (or God's) court right now.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby hackenslash » Mar 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Not even a little bit. I can't be wrong, in fact, because I haven't drawn any conclusions with regard to the existence of deities. Specific deities, yes, owing to their complete absurdity, but not as a general principle.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#128  Postby thaesofereode » Mar 28, 2010 11:19 pm

So go agnostic while you think about it some more. It's all a journey, anyway. Are you worried about some kind of "consequences" for what you believe or not-believe?
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#129  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 11:23 pm

hackenslash wrote:

Not even a little bit. I can't be wrong, in fact, because I haven't drawn any conclusions with regard to the existence of deities. Specific deities, yes, owing to their complete absurdity, but not as a general principle.

How can you say that you can't be wrong bout something? It doesn't seem right to make such a huge assumption. We should all have some humility, we could be wrong. A lot of mistakes have been made by people who are too stubborn to have a rethink. We may not be making any claims or drawing any conclusions, however, we know what we think and we could be wrong about our opinion. And it's not like we have no opinion about god.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#130  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Karljett wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

How can you say that you can't be wrong bout something? It doesn't seem right to make such a huge assumption. We should all have some humility, we could be wrong. A lot of mistakes have been made by people who are too stubborn to have a rethink. We may not be making any claims or drawing any conclusions, however, we know what we think and we could be wrong about our opinion. And it's not like we have no opinion about god.

You really need to make a better effort to read someone's posts before you go all "how could you..." on them. You have a pattern, already, of picking bits of a post and attacking them, even if a few words later in the post would set you at ease.
Do yourself a favor and slow down a bit while you're reading, would you?
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Ha, he's been banned! Someone suspected very early on he was a sockpuppet. So who was his puppetmaster?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the answer here: feedback/permanently-banned-members-list-t2022.html
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#132  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Turns out I was right at the very beginning then!
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby hackenslash » Mar 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Karljett wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

I realise that the troll has been banned, but just for clarity, it is exactly like I have no opinion about god. It's not just exactly like that, in fact, it is that. I have no opinion on the existence of god. I have very strong opinions about very specific conceptions of god, namely that they're completely fucking absurd and riddled with contradictory and mutually exclusive attributes. On deities in general, however, I have no opinion. That's why I can't be wrong.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#134  Postby byofrcs » Mar 29, 2010 5:43 am

Better to get socks than to be ignored at all I suppose. Pity though as I was hoping the doubter was wavering due to a desire for pussy. On another board the theory was that most atheists deviated because they had found some creation-leaning totty.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#135  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 29, 2010 8:08 am

byofrcs wrote:Better to get socks than to be ignored at all I suppose. Pity though as I was hoping the doubter was wavering due to a desire for pussy. On another board the theory was that most atheists deviated because they had found some creation-leaning totty.

:lol: :lol: :clap:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#136  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 29, 2010 9:36 am

chairman bill wrote:I think that maybe there's a goddess, and she's shaped like Jessica Alba

No, no, no, Jessica Alba is a goddess! ;) :grin: :dopey:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#137  Postby byofrcs » Mar 29, 2010 9:45 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
chairman bill wrote:I think that maybe there's a goddess, and she's shaped like Jessica Alba

No, I expect my Goddesses to use us like pawns. Alba is human.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#138  Postby tnjrp » Mar 29, 2010 9:47 am

Jessica Alba can use me pretty much any way she likes :pray:

Which would qualify her for goddesshood -- not all goddesses are omnipotent, you know.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 29, 2010 9:49 am

byofrcs wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:

No, I expect my Goddesses to use us like pawns. Alba is human.

Nope, I am pretty sure she is a cat wif magic powers! :grin: [Of limited range, within range, I would be a mere puppet in her paws! :drunk:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#140  Postby William.Young » Mar 29, 2010 10:02 am

hackenslash wrote:I realise that the troll has been banned, but just for clarity, it is exactly like I have no opinion about god. It's not just exactly like that, in fact, it is that. I have no opinion on the existence of god. I have very strong opinions about very specific conceptions of god, namely that they're completely fucking absurd and riddled with contradictory and mutually exclusive attributes. On deities in general, however, I have no opinion. That's why I can't be wrong.

William.Young

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism