Maybe there is a god

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Maybe there is a god

#1  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:01 am

I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Re: Maybe there is a god

#2  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 28, 2010 2:01 am

Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

Nope, never.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 28, 2010 2:10 am

Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

Not really. Why are you having second thoughts?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 28, 2010 2:14 am

No second thoughts here. :dunno:
Care to explain what caused yours?

I accept the possibility that I may be wrong about the existence of God, but that's as far as it goes.

I don't, however, accept the possibility that the Judeo-Christian religion(s) are true... at least if scripture's taken literally. Carbon dating, etc. Have taken far too many blocks from the Jenga tower.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby irreligionist » Mar 28, 2010 2:19 am

Nope.
irreligionist

Print view this post

#6  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:19 am

rEvolutionist wrote:

Well it's a maybe. Lately I've been wondering about how someone can either decide that they believe, or decide that they don't, and it got me thinking. Maybe I'm just assuming that what I see with my eyes and hear with my ears and so on is all that's perceivable. Maybe those who genuinely believe in god are onto something that I haven't been able to get. They talk about "knowing" and feeling, what if they're right? What if there is a god but to really understand it you have to approach it in a different way? Maybe we're all going on about evidence in something that we're just not even prepared to see or accept as evidence. What would convince me that there's a god? I think that depends entirely upon my own subjective criteria for what constitutes evidence. Like I say it's just a maybe.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#7  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 2:20 am

No.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#8  Postby irreligionist » Mar 28, 2010 2:23 am

Karljett wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

Well it's a maybe. Lately I've been wondering about how someone can either decide that they believe, or decide that they don't, and it got me thinking. Maybe I'm just assuming that what I see with my eyes and hear with my ears and so on is all that's perceivable. Maybe those who genuinely believe in god are onto something that I haven't been able to get. They talk about "knowing" and feeling, what if they're right? What if there is a god but to really understand it you have to approach it in a different way? Maybe we're all going on about evidence in something that we're just not even prepared to see or accept as evidence. What would convince me that there's a god? I think that depends entirely upon my own subjective criteria for what constitutes evidence. Like I say it's just a maybe.

I think I spot the issue. One can't decide to not believe, one simply just stops believing.
irreligionist

Print view this post

#9  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:26 am

I think choice does come into it to an extent, but it's more of a choice of whether or not to go with your instincts, or to ignore them. Other than that, everyone judges god's existence or otherwise based on their gut feeling, and the rest is nothing more than justification for that.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#10  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 2:26 am

Karljett wrote:I think choice does come into it to an extent, but it's more of a choice of whether or not to go with your instincts, or to ignore them. Other than that, everyone judges god's existence or otherwise based on their gut feeling, and the rest is nothing more than justification for that.

Uhhh...no. I want evidence.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 28, 2010 2:28 am

Karljett wrote:I think choice does come into it to an extent, but it's more of a choice of whether or not to go with your instincts, or to ignore them. Other than that, everyone judges god's existence or otherwise based on their gut feeling, and the rest is nothing more than justification for that.

Not necessarily. Many people get the gut feeling from what you call the "justification".
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:34 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:

Not necessarily. Many people get the gut feeling from what you call the "justification".

Exactly, and vice versa. For example, as far as I'm aware anyway, theists believe in god and then they use whatever comes to mind to justify that, whether it be science or philosophy or what have you. I think I do the same. I don't know a great deal about science, not that I think it's necessary to be an atheist, but I do sometimes use what little science I know to explain to theists why I don't believe in god. It's not that I don't believe in god because science has shown me that one can't exist. I already don't believe, but not because of science, but because of my gut feeling, that's all. I mean, we can't actually prove that it's not possible for a god to exist, and a theist can't conclusively prove that it does. To be honest I don't lack any belief on god because of science, I just feel that a god doesn't exist, just a theist feels that one does. I don't think we're that different at all.
Last edited by Karljett on Mar 28, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#13  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 2:35 am

Karljett wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

Exactly, and vice versa. For example, as far as I'm aware anyway, theists believe in god and then they use whatever comes to mind to justify that, whether it be science or philosophy or what have you. I think I do the same. I don't know a great deal about science, not that I think it's necessary to be an atheist, but I do sometimes use what little science I know to explain to theists why I don't believe in god. It's not that I don't believe in god because science has shown me that one can't exist. I already don't believe, but not because of science, but because of my gut feeling, that's all. I mean, we can't actually prove that it's not possible for a god to exist, and a theist can't conclusively prove that it does. To be honest I don't lack any belief on god because of science, I just feel thata god exists, just a theist feels that one does. I don't think we're that different at all.

We are different. We do not believe in fairy tales.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 28, 2010 2:42 am

As far as my stance goes, I'd rather go with what's most likely true. If the evidence were in favor of God's existence, I'd be a theist.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:43 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:As far as my stance goes, I'd rather go with what's most likely true. If the evidence were in favor of God's existence, I'd be a theist.

What evidence would make you change your mind?
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#16  Postby irreligionist » Mar 28, 2010 2:49 am

Karljett wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:As far as my stance goes, I'd rather go with what's most likely true. If the evidence were in favor of God's existence, I'd be a theist.

How's about... any? A jot? An iota?
irreligionist

Print view this post

#17  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:51 am

irreligionist wrote:
Karljett wrote:

How's about... any? A jot? An iota?

What I mean is, what type of evidence? An event? A revelation?
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#18  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 28, 2010 2:51 am

Karljett wrote:

Are you changing your opinion due to new evidence, or is it just a mutation in your world view? If it is just a re-appraisal of a previous opinion, what part of your analysis that led you first to conclude that a belief in god was non-parsimonious-is wrong? And why?

Can you do a memory trace to work out when and what additional factor led to the change of conclusion. If you can identify what that is, then we could discuss that on its merits.

:think:

My guess is that you have been confronted with a puzzle, mystery or anomaly which you can't explain in naturalistic terms. Is this correct? If so, let's discuss it.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#19  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 2:52 am

Everyone in this thread who said "No" is ridiculously close-minded.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Karljett » Mar 28, 2010 2:53 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:
Karljett wrote:

Are you changing your opinion due to new evidence, or is it just a mutation in your world view? If it is just a re-appraisal of a previous opinion, what part of your analysis that led you first to conclude that a belief in god was non-parsimonious-is wrong? And why?

Can you do a memory trace to work out when and what additional factor led to the change of conclusion. If you can identify what that is, then we could discuss that on its merits.

:think:

My guess is that you have been confronted with a puzzle, mystery or anomaly which you can't explain in naturalistic terms. Is this correct? If so, let's discuss it.

I'm not necessarily changing my mind, I'm just wondering if we've got it wrong.
Karljett
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism