Maybe there is a god

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Maybe there is a god

#81  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 4:37 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
generalsemanticist wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
I do think they exist. But I do not think that based on anything scientific. That's the point.

I think maybe you are obsessed with "existence". What does the word even mean?

The existence of X is a state of affairs in which X obtains.

Obtains what?

Consciousness?
Existence?
Fluffiness?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/states-of-affairs/
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 4:38 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
I do think they exist. But I do not think that based on anything scientific. That's the point.

Do you know what will happen if I keep asking you what you mean? You will eventually define in circles - this is an inescapable semantic fact. What this means is that our communication, in any given context, is built upon undefined terms. I propose we accept 'existence' as undefined and go from there.

I think he means "fluffiness".

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. You got me. I'm making all this up. :snooty:
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." -Siddhārtha Gautama
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 4:39 am

Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
Nocterro wrote:

Obtains what?

Consciousness?
Existence?
Fluffiness?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/states-of-affairs/

No, I'm sorry, I'm not accepting any sort of silliness like this. The topic is science, not some sort of quasi-philosophical claptrap.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#84  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 4:39 am

Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:

Do you know what will happen if I keep asking you what you mean? You will eventually define in circles - this is an inescapable semantic fact. What this means is that our communication, in any given context, is built upon undefined terms. I propose we accept 'existence' as undefined and go from there.

I think he means "fluffiness".

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. You got me. I'm making all this up. :snooty:

I knew it!!!!
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 4:40 am

NineOneFour wrote:
No, I'm sorry, I'm not accepting any sort of silliness like this. The topic is science, not some sort of quasi-philosophical claptrap.

Russell and Wittgenstein is claptrap? :doh:

EDIT: I've noticed that many people here have a bad habit of not reading relevant linked material before responding. Odd.
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 4:46 am

Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

EDIT: I've noticed that many people here have a bad habit of not reading relevant linked material before responding. Odd.

No, Russell isn't claptrap, but the bunkum you posited is, despite it quoting Russell. By your definition of reality, Russell's teapot would logically be able to exist and honestly, Russell would have a field day firing howitzer shells through your arguments.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#87  Postby generalsemanticist » Mar 28, 2010 4:47 am

As Korzybski put it.

It is important to realize that this semantic attitude signalizes a new epoch in the
development of science. In scientific literature of the old days, we had a habit of
demanding, ‘define your terms’. The new 1933 standards of science really should
be, ‘state your undefined terms’. In other words, ‘lay on the table your metaphysics,
your assumed structure, and then only proceed to define your terms in terms of these
undefined terms’. This has been done completely, or approximately so, only in
mathematics. Yet, probably no one will deny that the new requirements of science
(1933), no matter how laborious, are really desirable, and constitute an advance in
method, in accordance with the structure of human knowledge.
Always and Never are 2 words you always remember never to use.
generalsemanticist

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 4:52 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

No, Russell isn't claptrap, but the bunkum you posited is, despite it quoting Russell. By your definition of reality, Russell's teapot would logically be able to exist and honestly, Russell would have a field day firing howitzer shells through your arguments.

Umm, it is logically possible for Russell's teapot to exist.

The misunderstanding of logic and philosophy on these forums is mind-boggling.
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 4:54 am

Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:

Umm, it is logically possible for Russell's teapot to exist.

Um....let's see....a large cosmic teapot orbiting the earth that no one can see....

"Logical"....

The misunderstanding of logic and philosophy on these forums is mind-boggling.

Indeed.
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 4:56 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_possibility

A logically possible proposition is one that can be asserted without implying a logical contradiction.

Tell me, what logical contradiction is entailed by the teapot?
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 28, 2010 5:00 am

Nocterro wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_possibility

A logically possible proposition is one that can be asserted without implying a logical contradiction.

That we'd have bonked into it by now, that it would have been detected by the zillion different types of measuring equipment we've shot into space, that it would blot out star systems...

I could go on, but...
cascadianow.org

NineOneFour

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 5:01 am

NineOneFour wrote:
Nocterro wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_possibility

That we'd have bonked into it by now, that it would have been detected by the zillion different types of measuring equipment we've shot into space, that it would blot out star systems...

I could go on, but...

Non-sequitor. I'm asking about logical possibility. Read the damn link?
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 28, 2010 5:08 am

There are endless logical possibilities not implemented in nature, what is your point, Nocterro?
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#94  Postby William.Young » Mar 28, 2010 5:21 am

"Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong." - Richard Feynman

Just happened to be one of the 'Quotes of the Day' on my iGoogle page. It fits this thread rather well I think.

As far as the OP's question goes, my answer would be no... and it is a personal attack to claim I'm closed-minded because of my answer and I reported the earlier accusation as such.
William.Young

Print view this post

#95  Postby Nocterro » Mar 28, 2010 5:39 am

William.Young wrote:"Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong." - Richard Feynman

Just happened to be one of the 'Quotes of the Day' on my iGoogle page. It fits this thread rather well I think.

As far as the OP's question goes, my answer would be no... and it is a personal attack to claim I'm closed-minded because of my answer and I reported the earlier accusation as such.

How is that a personal attack?
Nocterro

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Mar 28, 2010 5:56 am

Nocterro wrote:
William.Young wrote:"Philosophers say a great deal about what is absolutely necessary for science, and it is always, so far as one can see, rather naive, and probably wrong." - Richard Feynman

How is that a personal attack?

As many theists pride themselves on being closed minded to evidence, and preferring faith and dogma, I can see why you may be confused. An open-minded person will consider all possibilities, however evidence for a possibility is going to prioritize the amount of time an open-minded individual is going to spend on highly speculative propositions where there is weak or non-existent evidence.

Once again, an atheist does not deny there is a god, but does not believe that gods are credible or endowed with evidenciary support. There are other arguments against gods being real however. An intellectually rigorous atheist position does not deny that gods are possible, just extremely unlikely. [As we humans are not omniscient, it would be incautious to absolutely dismiss a proposition out of hand due to possible ignorance]. However, in a de-facto and pragmatic way, the denial of gods is the presumption, subject of course, to any new information which may come to light in the future. So rational atheism, and the "methodological naturalism" in science, are very close in meaning for most practical purposes.

As some theists view [incorrectly and illogically in my view] gods as natural entities, this muddies the waters considerably. If gods were natural beings, then god-nature interactions would be detectable. Instead, some pleading for special powers of gods that cannot be detected by science is the "gap" refuge of theological discourse.

The claim is like that to: an elephant in the room that can't be sensed by senses or instrumentation, and yet is asserted still to exist. An absence of evidence is certainly not absolute proof of absence, but given the importance of these [supposed] gods in human affairs, it is both reasonable and ethical that such unsubstantiated claims by religions be challenged with vigour. In the meantime, it would be best for all concerned if we assume that gods do not exist.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#97  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 28, 2010 7:00 am

Karljett wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

Not really. Why are you having second thoughts?

Well it's a maybe. Lately I've been wondering about how someone can either decide that they believe, or decide that they don't, and it got me thinking. Maybe I'm just assuming that what I see with my eyes and hear with my ears and so on is all that's perceivable. Maybe those who genuinely believe in god are onto something that I haven't been able to get. They talk about "knowing" and feeling, what if they're right? What if there is a god but to really understand it you have to approach it in a different way?

But if this was the case, then surely all these believers would be able to describe this "feeling" that the rest of us don't get. But none of them ever can. It basically always come down to magic.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby natselrox » Mar 28, 2010 7:04 am

@OP: Or maybe not.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#99  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 28, 2010 7:04 am

Nocterro wrote:Everyone in this thread who said "No" is ridiculously close-minded.

How so? We live in a world of physical phenomena. Why should we have as our default position that something extra-physical exists? Particularly so when all spirituality matters can be adequately described by normal physical and chemical processes?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#100  Postby savvy » Mar 28, 2010 7:17 am

Karljett wrote:I'm starting to have second thoughts. Does anyone else ever wonder if they've got it all wrong?

One thing I do rule out completely is the possibility that the biblegod exists. That God is logically incoherent. i.e. The Bible describes him as a "God of love" and yet he behaves in a way that is both cruel and hateful.

On the other hand, as a negative, implicit atheist, I don't rule out the possibility that some kind God or gods exist. However, at this point in my life, I see no reason to believe that such a God or gods exist. Do you see a reason to believe that a God or gods exist? If so, what is your reason?
"I would rather live and love where death is king than have eternal life where love is not." ~ Robert Ingersoll
savvy

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism